Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
1 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214
Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

1 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

401 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (330) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents (3)
View As Grid List

401 items

lace trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Length of wide lace trim with dots on net ground and selvedge edge, other edge complex scallop. Machine made

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine made pretending to be Valenciennes (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

double ended spanner. Box one end; open the other

Spoke shave

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wood, steel blade, brass guard strip, hollow guard. Wear for thumbs. Crack in woodwork.

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand crochet (lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photo

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Cheese Press

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Metal cheese press, white

lace trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

machine made lace trim made to look hand made. Some stretchiness

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Letter

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Typed letter on Department of Agriculture, Victoria letterhead, addressed to Mr. E.H. Jenkins, regarding improvement of pasture land at Churchill Island, signed 'R.L. Twentyman,' Agrostologist, dated 9th April, 1941

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The document demonstrates Harry Jenkins interest and committment to farming and provides information on farming of the era.

Inscriptions & Markings

R.L. Twentyman [bottom right hand corner]

Knitted Woolen Shawl

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Triangular cream coloured knitted woollen shawl with open stitch cross design and 2 open stitch diagonal lines at edges.

Milk/cream separator

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Metal top, bowl missing ;burgundy pedestal base with handle

Photocopy of 3 Newspaper Pages - "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly Revealed, Survey"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Pp 1, 6, 10. Part 2 of "SOS: Save Our Shores" series in Phillip Island and Sand Remo Advertiser. Pg. 1 article states Churchill Island visitors centre topped list of 21 local buildings for good planning and design. Pg. 6 = survey of community re: development. Pg. 10 re: Eco Resort, Silverwater development and Bass Coast Shire Council's 5 major strategies. From Wednesday July 11, 2007.

Branding Iron

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Branding iron with initials SA for Samuel Amess. Surface rust, pitted surface.

meat safe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

painted pale yellow metal meat safe with square grid hold pattern for air flow. No internal shelves. Broken hanger hook. Catch no longer works. Re-painted from dark green. Raw galvanised base. Four feet, knobs top and bottom attached to rod at four corners. Pressed dome top.

Bed jacket

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

See photos (4)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note "Fine cotton bed jacket. Hand embroidered scalloped edge."

Seed drill

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Horse drawn seeder faded red with white wheels suitable for large seeds eg. corn, beans, peas.

Furphy Water Cart

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Furphy water cart, unpainted with traces of red on embossed end

Historical information

Furphy carts were an important item in Australian agriculture, leading to the addition of the word "furphy" a misleading rumour (originally as spread from gossip around the water cart).

Inscriptions & Markings

On side of tank in black paint "CHRURCILL ISLAND" Embossed on end: Furphy water cart; makers Furphy & Sons, Shepparton and other inscriptions.

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Eyore New Holland Baler

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Self-propelled baler, "Eyore" Sperry New Holland

Centre bits X 2

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

For making dowel joints for furniture. Paint spots and surface rust

Paling/shingle splitter's axe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine made, painted black, cast. No handle. Shows signs of use. Socket warped

Newspaper double page spread - "The Isle of History..."

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

pp. 36-37 of The Sun Friday August 13 1976. Text by Danny Gocs, 6 photos by Bill Tindale. Re: 13 architecture students and lecturer Lisle Rudolph sketching, measuring and recording buildings for Victorian Conservation Trust.

Inscriptions & Markings

Lead pencil tick at box "Pictures: Bill Tindale". Purple texta diagonal line in top left hand corner p. 36.

Name Plate, Brass

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Rectangular brass name plate, one recessed screw hole per corner, used by Harry Jenkins for his dentist practice, Collins St, Melbourne.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front: "E.H. JENKINS / DENTIST" Reverse: "SRIATS RU" (UR STAIRS backwards)

tennon saw

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Cast steel blade and walnut handle. Surface rust and some paint spots on blade. "Nonpariel" brand. Elephant trade mark on handle and blade.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Nonpariel" brand. Elephant trade mark on handle and blade. W T Jackson Sheffield.

meat safe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Painted pale green safe. Rectangular grid pattern of ventilation holes with circles of ventilation holes within the pattern. Surface rust patches. Water reservoir and wire hook added later on top. Internal trays bottom and 1/2 way. Door detached - hinges rusted away. No base apart from shelf. Hanger missing.

Camisole

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine lace insertions; silk embroidery (NGV) silk net, machine embroidery (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (5)Packaged with note; "hand embroidered cotton camisole c 1870"

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Sulky wheel right

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Pair of matching black sulky wheels with red hubs

Paper document report - BORDESAN

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Paper document report, carbon copy, foolscap, on 'Bordesan', a colloidal suspension of a highly fungicial copper preparation, written by J.D. Riedal-E. de Haen A.G., Chemical Works, Berlin-Britz, Germany, and a memo from S.W. Peterson & Co. Ltd, Sydney Office to Mr. Sutcliffe, Melbourne. 15 pages

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The document demonstrates farming and fungicide methods of the era.

Inscriptions & Markings

Bordesan, J.D. Riedel-E. de Haen A.G., Churchill Island, S.W. Peterson & Co Ltd

LACE TRIM

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine made lace with spotted and floral pattern

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

lace trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

machine made lace trim with both edges similar, v shape design and 8 braid geometric design in centre

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by three generations of Amess women - Jane, Janet and Unity (Bright - donor). Jane was wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island.

Bed jacket cuff

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Cuff from 0086. Motifs hand sewn on to machined net. Bobbin tape on seams (NGV) Princess machine lace. Machine made motifs hand appliqued on (Lace group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12). See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Limerick lace bed jacket Janet Amess 1860 from Kel Bright collection with separated cuff".

Level

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Paint spots and wear at grooves. Wood, glass bubbles, brass cover over bubble. Round maker's seal missing.

cattle ear punch

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Steel. Two handled. Return spring missing. Apple shaped punch

Lace Piece trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

mallet

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Block redgum; original hardwood handle. Paint stains. Well used. 2 screws in end of handle to spread handle so it doesn't fall off.

Bag filler and rammer

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Galvanised iron with funnel hopper, half covered, rammer underneath, cylindrical pipe.

Inscriptions & Markings

Barklem /bag filler/&/ rammer/ patent registered no 7012

lace trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

machine made, floral pattern, possibly warratahs?

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Ames... read more

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women.

Note

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

See photocopy. Packaged with items 0011 to 0019

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

"To whom it may concern:- my apologies for this jumble. It is just as it was left to me and i have no knowledge as to whether there is anything of interest or not. Please do as you see fit with it. U Bright."

Box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Box spanner for wire wheels; tapered handle, hanging loop other end to spanner. surface rust

Inscriptions & Markings

Wire Wheel Corp of America Buffalo NY B4-1005/H4.B4.CB4.CB4 5 A

Pair gloves

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

One pair tan ladies pigskin gloves. Three lines of stitched decoration on back of both gloves

Historical information

Belonged to CIHF volunteer Jeff Cole's aunt May Hart, a very stylish woman of the 1920s, keen on horse racing

LACE TRIM

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lenth of lace trim with scalloped edge and straight selvedge edge, floral design on net ground. Machine made

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Bed jacket

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Motifs hand sewn on to machined net; bobbin tape on seams (NGV) Princess machine lace machine made motifs hand-appliqued on (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (4) See also 0086 cuff.

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Machined lace bed jacket. Janet Amess 1860. From Kel Bright Collection with separated cuff".

Christening Gown

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Long white christening gown with 4 panels of broderie anglaise at front and ribbon ties at back of neck. Slight gathering between bodice and skirt.

Historical information

Used by 4-5 generations of Amess family. Samuel Amess owned Churchill Island 1872-1929.

Handwritten notes on paper

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Herd notes. Handwritten notes in pencil on paper (lined) with script running across lines, with names and ages of herd.

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artefacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The document demonstrates Harry Jenkins interest and committment to farming on Churchill Island and provides information on farming of the era.

Wool press

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wooden wool press with metal frame and mechanism

Iron wheel

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Unpainted iron whell designed for heavy loads

Handwritten notes on paper

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Notes handwritten in pencil on paper regarding fertilizer amounts in 100 weight bags per paddock, 11 paddocks. Dated 1959. Assumed to be written by Harry Jenkins

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The document demonstrates Harry Jenkins interest and committment to farming on Churchill Island and provides information on farming of the era.

Sulky

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Restored sulky, 2 ton wheels, burgundy body and shafts, decorative aqua scroll work on rear, black springs, seat deteriorated.

saw set

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Incomplete. Bronze saw set with no fittings except striker. Red paint spots.

Inscriptions & Markings

Eclipse No 77. Made in England

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine made lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Chemical lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.