Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven VIC 3925 (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214; 03 5951 2800

Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

401 items

401 items

Book - Biography - "My Journey From The Snowy River"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Landscape oriented book, fawn cardboard cover, pale yellow pages, greyscale photos, pen and ink map, 64 pp, by L.C. (Dick) Rogers.

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamp on inside front cover. "P.A. Spencer 12 Hereward Close Cowes Victoria 3922 Australia"

Book - Historical - "Lieut. John Murray. H.M. Survey Vessel Lady Nelson and the Discovery of Port Phillip"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Portrait oriented cardboard covered book. Colour cover. Buff pages. 1 colour plate. Several facsimile diagrams. 108pp. Dust jacket. Diary from Sunday 14/2/1802 - Thursday 11/3/1802.

Inscriptions & Markings

"$35 #17333" (pencil)

Booklet - Complete Dispersal Sale Churchill Dairy Shorthorn Stud

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Fawn coloured cover, cream pages, black print. 14pp + cover. 47 lots all cattle named and pedigree given. For Wednesday April 3rd, 1946, at Cleeland's Property. Auctioneers: Gippsland and Northern Co-op Co Ltd. For same auction as 0098.

Inscriptions & Markings

Cross alongside entry Lot 31 Buyer (?), Lot 38 buyer, Lot 39 buyer, in pencil

Booklet - Air Rifle Shooting For Elementary, Secondary, Grammar and Public Schools

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Pamphlet by Harry Berkley Score from collection of Dr Harry Jenkins

Historical information

Harry Jenkins had served in the Boer War and was a crack shot. He taught many visitors to Churchill Island how to shoot and had a collection of guns and rifles.

Significance

Probably used this booklet to teach young people about, and how to shoot with air rifles.

Book - thesis - "A History of Churchill Island Settlement, Land Use and the Making of a Heritage Site"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

A4 book, green hardback cover. Double sided print; b& w photos and maps

Significance

Dr Sanders's thesis outlines the various owners/occupiers of Churchill Island from 1850-1929. She describes the process of her research and collaboration with various parties in the process of developing her thesis.

Inscriptions & Markings

"To the Friends of Churchill Island Society past, present and future. Many thanks for your friendship and support. I could not have finished without you. The errors that remain (and there are likely to be some!) are all my own fault. I hope that this is of some use, even if I don't really solve the mystery of the location of the 1801 garden. May you forever "Preserve that which is precious". Rebecca, 14th May 2016".

Box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Square box spanner with hanging loop at other end. Tapered box. Rust and pitting

Box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Blacksmith made from bar stock with collar extension piece added on

Inscriptions & Markings

1 1/2

Box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

large box spanner #2 cast; socket for extension. Shows screw marks from casting

Inscriptions & Markings

W E CARY LTD

Box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Double ended (large/small) # 209 stamp. Has had welded repair on large end

Inscriptions & Markings

209 SHELDON AXLE COMPANY

Box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Box spanner for wire wheels; tapered handle, hanging loop other end to spanner. surface rust

Inscriptions & Markings

Wire Wheel Corp of America Buffalo NY B4-1005/H4.B4.CB4.CB4 5 A

Brace and auger bit for fencing

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Bit bolted on and held with hook. Brace probably blacksmith made. Bit commercially made. May have been used vertically. Surface pitted.

Branding Iron

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Branding iron with initials SA for Samuel Amess. Surface rust, pitted surface.

Bread and butter plate 3 of 3

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Plate with gold border at rim and gold inner circle. 5 swallows and 3 stylised birds hand-painted by Margaret Amess.

Historical information

Margaret Amess was the youngest child of Samuel and Jane Amess, who first purchased Churchill Island in 1872. Margaret Amess was renowned for her china painting.

Bridge Notebook

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Small lined notebook, with plstic removable cover with press tud fasten. Contains notes regarding 1959 bridge construction written by Harry Jenkins. Plastic cover navy blue colour.

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

This item demonstrates Harry Jenkins thorough and detailed approach to the maintenance of Churchill Island Farm and construction in the era.

Buck rake

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Timber buck rake, 6 prongs, metal fittings

Butter Churn

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Unpainted wooden box, with brass handle and wooden lid

Butter worker

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Belt driven wheel, timber, blue metal trims and circumference band

Inscriptions & Markings

The Alexandra. Maker T.Robinson & Co Ltd, Spotiswoode

Butter worker, 30lb capacity

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Timber with cast gearing, round butter worker

Historical information

Used at Chrchill Island,

Inscriptions & Markings

Cherry & Sons

Camisole

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine lace insertions; silk embroidery (NGV) silk net, machine embroidery (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (5)Packaged with note; "hand embroidered cotton camisole c 1870"

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

camp oven

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

3 legged round camp oven with lid and 2 side handles. Pitted with rust.

Historical information

Purchased at clearing sale

camp oven

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

oval shaped camp oven with swinging handle on body. Lid with D handle on top. Lip handle on one side of rim. Surface rust. Corrosion on edge of lid.

Historical information

Purchased at clearing sale

Inscriptions & Markings

CLARKE AND CO. With name there is a diamond cartouche with a tower and drawbridge and flag on top, "I" and "J" either side of tower. 4G under (four gallons)

Canvas bucket, rope handle

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wooden base, leather reinforced, stitched canvas, inserted rope top, brass eyelets, rope handles, sliced one side, metal with spring clips the other side. Leather washer with copper rivets, Separate pocket inside.

Cardboard panel of lace pieces x 5

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine embroidery (lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (5)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Noten packaged with panel "scraps of lace found jumbled in with this collection"

cattle ear punch

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Steel. Two handled. Return spring missing. Apple shaped punch

Cattle Ear Tag #29

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Fawn coloured medium weight cardboard cattle ear tag #29 black print. Oblong with rounded corners and remnant of hole punched at one end. For "Churchill Whisper 3rd".

Centre bits X 2

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

For making dowel joints for furniture. Paint spots and surface rust

Chaff cutter

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Long wooden chute, green metal works. Attached to engine by drive wheel/belt. Mounted on sleepers. Has been used for demonstrations but no longer allowed

Chaff cutter

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand operated chaff cutter, painted green with white scrolling; red cogs

Cheese Press

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Metal cheese press, white

Chiming pendulum wall clock

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wooden cased pendulum clock with two decorative gold coloured glass panel inserts above the clock face, which has brass hands and white enamel background to blue painted numbers. Small hook and eye fastener on left hand side to open clock face. Two heavy iron pendulums - one larger than the other. Turn wooden decorations on top half of case.

Historical information

This clock was donated to the Phillip Island & District Historical Society Inc by Sister Margaret Campbell on her departure from Churchill Island where she lived for many years. The clock had been owned by the owner prior to Sr Campbell, Harry Jenkins, and had passed to Sr Campbell with the property when Harry died in 1963. The society committee was asked by its secretary Christine Grayden, also curator of Churchill Island, if the clock could be returned to display in Amess House, and they agreed. The donation form was signed on behalf of the PIDHS by committee member John Jansson.

Significance

The clock was originally located in Amess House Churchill Island from the 1930s to 1973 when it was given to the Phillip Island & District Historical Society, who donated it back to Churchill Island in 2016.