Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven VIC 3925 (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214; 03 5951 2800

Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

401 items

401 items

no image

adjustable wrench

Cast jaws on rod. Handmade. Jaws badly warped. Surface rust and paint spots

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

adjustable wrench

twist design on handle; jaws bent out of shape and worn. Hand-made

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Adze

Key words

hytest
adze
axe
tool
tools
farming
farm
churchill island

Fairly modern standard adze

Historical information

Hytest is regarded as best Australian brand of axe.

Inscriptions & Markings

Hytest

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Adze

Key words

adze
churchill island
farm
axe
tool
tools
blacksmithing
smithing
blacksmith

Rusted, well worn, blacksmith made with bias on blade. No handle

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Amess Family Tree

Key words

amess family
family history
genealogy

30pp starting with Samuel Amess b. 1730 m. Elizabeth (Annison) 26/12/1750 at St Michael and All Angel's, Barton Turf, Norfolk, England - Jaxon Charles Doherty, 11th generation b. 7/10/2012. Plastic comb binding. Black and white. Compiled by Geoff Collier.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Argus camera

Key words

churchill island
harry jenkins
camera
argus seventy-five
hanimex

Camera owned by Dr Harry Jenkins with original box

Historical information

Possibly used to take photos of island activities which are held in archive

Significance

Used by Harry Jenkins to take photos of activities at this time.

Inscriptions & Markings

"argus/ seventy-five" at top on lens: ARGUS LUMAR 75mm MADE IN AUSTRALIA at side of front: INST/TIME

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Auction Advertising Booklet - "Historic Churchill Island. Westernport Bay."

Key words

churchill island
sister campbell
auction
alex scott and co p/l

6 inside pages plus front and back cover. Pinkish tinge, black print. Photos, map, text - typed and handwritten. For Churchill Island auction by Sister Margaret Campbell Saturday June 2nd 2:30PM 1973. Agent: Alex Scott and Co. P/L.

Inscriptions & Markings

"CAFFYN" on front cover top right

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Auger

8 twists in the steel auger with cast iron chuck fused.

Inscriptions & Markings

Chuck: "2" Auger "16" "IRWIN MADE IN USA"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Auger bits X 13

Surface rust, some paint spots. Sizes stamped on.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Babcock Milk Tester

Key words

farm
machinery
dairy
equipment
babcock tester
hand operated
fat content
babcock
churchill island

Grey blue hand operated spinner to determine fat content of milk. Bottles missing

Historical information

Possibly used by Harry Jenkins when Churchill Island operated as a dairy farm

Inscriptions & Markings

Babcock Tester, Official

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Baby bonnet

Key words

crochet
churchill island
janet amess lace collection
baby
bonnet
amess
clothing

Strips of machine lace imitating bobbin lace; hand crocheted together. Crocheted rosettes. (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12).

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note; "Hand crocheted silk lined baby's bonnet" Lace fabric rayon?

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Baby's bonnet

Key words

lace
churchill island
janet amess lace collection
baby
bonnet
amess
clothing

Machine lace. Can display with calico cushion inside. Wash calico first. (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Bag filler and rammer

Key words

galvanised
iron
bag
filler
rammer
tools
tool
farm
churchill island

Galvanised iron with funnel hopper, half covered, rammer underneath, cylindrical pipe.

Inscriptions & Markings

Barklem /bag filler/&/ rammer/ patent registered no 7012

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Bag hanger

Key words

farm machinery
bag hanger
improvisation
hand made
churchill island

Hoome made unpainted metal bag hanger with shearer plough wheels base. Ring to hold bag stored separately

Significance

Good example of farm improvisation

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Bag lifter

Key words

churchill island
farm machinery
lifter

metal, surface rust, 2 arms with semi-circle lift at one end

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

base glass bottle

Key words

black glass
bottle
churchill island
rubbish tip

broken base of black glass bottle, heavy glass.

Historical information

Possibly found on one of the several 'tip sites' on Churchill Island

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Beaded piece

Key words

beading
beaded
churchill island
janet amess lace collection
amess
lace

See photo

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Bed jacket

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
bed
jacket
amess

See photos (4)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note "Fine cotton bed jacket. Hand embroidered scalloped edge."

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Bed jacket

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
janet
amess
bed
jacket
garment
clothing
hand
sewn
bobbin
machine

Motifs hand sewn on to machined net; bobbin tape on seams (NGV) Princess machine lace machine made motifs hand-appliqued on (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (4) See also 0086 cuff.

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Machined lace bed jacket. Janet Amess 1860. From Kel Bright Collection with separated cuff".

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Bed jacket cuff

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
janet
amess
bed
jacket
cuff
garment
clothing
princess
machine
bobbin

Cuff from 0086. Motifs hand sewn on to machined net. Bobbin tape on seams (NGV) Princess machine lace. Machine made motifs hand appliqued on (Lace group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12). See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Limerick lace bed jacket Janet Amess 1860 from Kel Bright collection with separated cuff".

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Bench hand drill

Key words

farm machinery
drill
hand operated

White bench hand drill with black wheels and cogs

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Bill hook

Key words

tools
hook
bill hook
churchill island
farm
iron

Rough pine handle with many borer holes. Commercially made (no ID) cast in socket one end, strap iron riveted other end. Cast blade.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Black and white photos X 8

Key words

churchill island
stott family
cannon
roger's cottage
amess house
bridge

Views of: Amess barn; Roger's cottage and northwest corner of Amess House; cannon X 4; Ken Stott and Roy Shallow divining water; bridge being built c. 1958-1959. Catalogue sheet has list of photographs attached.

Inscriptions & Markings

Some photos are labelled on the back.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Black beaded/sequined trimming

Key words

janet amess lace collection
churchill island
lace
sequined
amess
trim

2 layers - one strong background with fine top layer with beadwork - hand or machine? (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Black beaded trimming (hand beaded)".

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Black Lace Front

Key words

churchill island
lace
janet amess lace collection
amess
machine

Area for head to fit through not cut out. Machine lace - unsure why made like this. Oblong piece of net may be to cut out. (Lace Group, Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12). See photos (3)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Black lace "Front" with neckline hole"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Black on cream lace collar

Key words

lace
churchill island
janet amess lace collection
amess
collar
garment
clothing
machine

Machine made lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Block plane

Key words

plane
block plane
hand tools
carpenter's tools

Wooden smoothing plane with handle. Adjustable via wedge. Borer holes in handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ward blade. Plane made by Mathieson & Son Glasgow Best Guaranteed.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Block plane

Key words

block plane
hand tools
carpenter's tools
millers falls co

US elm base.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Millers Falls Warranted" on blade. "M.D.W" carved on side

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Blouse

Key words

amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
frances
janet
jane
amess
embroidery
cotton
chinese
hand
crotcheted

Chinese 20th C Hand crocheted insertions. Hand embroidery (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12). See photos (3)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note "Light bed jacket. Probably hand made in Asia c 1970 judging by size tag '14'"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Book - "Rebel Down Under When the 'Shenandoah' shook Melbourne, 1863" by Cyril Pearl

Key words

shenandoah
confederate
american civil war
melbourne
samuel amess

Blue plastic covered dust jacket. 200pp. 8 black and white illustrations.

Inscriptions & Markings

Diane Tillen (?) 1973

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven