Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
1 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214
Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

1 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

401 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (330) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents (3)
View As Grid List

401 items

Reaper/binder

Key words

farm
machinery
hay
chaff
reaper
binder
horse drawn
churchill island

Large red reaper/binder, canvas covers, some green fittings, 2-3 horse

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

large hatchet

Key words

hatchet
tools
hammer
blacksmith
blacksmithing
smithing
churchill island
farm

Medium length wooden axe handle modern head cast iron. Blacksmith made cast and forged. One flat side, hammer end.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Bridge Notebook

Key words

bridge
1959
harry jenkins
churchill island
farm
roadwork
jenkins

Small lined notebook, with plstic removable cover with press tud fasten. Contains notes regarding 1959 bridge construction written by Harry Jenkins. Plastic cover navy blue colour.

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

This item demonstrates Harry Jenkins thorough and detailed approach to the maintenance of Churchill Island Farm and construction in the era.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Wicker Wheelchair

Key words

churchill island
early wheelchair
amess barn

Cane wheelchair with small metal wheels. Curved arms supported on each side by single strut. Decorative scroll top centre of backrest. Hole in wickerwork of seat. Diamond pattern in backrest. Fold-away solid footplate under seat.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wool Press

Key words

farm machinery
wool
wool press
hand operated
shearing

All metal wool press, unpainted, surface rust

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Hand painted cup 1 of 3

Key words

tea cup
margaret amess
churchill island

Tea cup with gold border at rim and gold handle. Hand painted with three swallows by Margaret Amess.

Historical information

Margaret Amess was the youngest child of Samuel and Jane Amess, who first purchased Churchill Island in 1872. Margaret Amess was renowned for her china painting.

Inscriptions & Markings

"M.A./1909"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

White cotton boudoir cap

Key words

lace
jane amess
lace collection
churchill island

Boudoir cap for keeping curlers in place. Acceptable to wear with visitors. Used at night to keep hair neat. (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12). See photos (3).

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "White cotton handmade lace mob cap"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Stump Jump Plough

Key words

farm
machinery
soil
cultivation
stump jump plough
horse drawn
churchill island
plough
jump
stump

Unpainted metal stump jump plough with information signage

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lace Trim

Key words

lace
janet amess lace collection
churchill island
amess
trim

Tamboured net. Limerick style. Embroidery - hand or machine? (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Pick, Miner's

Key words

miner
mining
pick
churchill island
tools
farm

Short top end of head. Commercially made/ Well worn. Handle repaired1) automotive wire 2) electrical tape repair. Painted red, end split.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

adjustable wrench

twist design on handle; jaws bent out of shape and worn. Hand-made

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Trophy

Key words

churchill island
working horse festival
sheep to shawl challenge
shearing
spinning
knitting

Round wooden slab, bark on, polished on 1/2 slab base. Nice small gold shields 2003 - 2008 (6) inscribed with Churchill Island Working Horse Festivals Sheep to Shawl competition team winners. Rectangular gold with black lettering: "CHURCHILL ISLAND SHEEP TO SHAWL CHALLENGE" at base.

Inscriptions & Markings

Each shield has the year and team winners names. Rectangular gold with black lettering: "CHURCHILL ISLAND SHEEP TO SHAWL CHALLENGE" at base.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Auger bits X 13

Surface rust, some paint spots. Sizes stamped on.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Small neckpiece

Key words

lace
churchill island
janet amess lace collection
neckpiece
clothing
garment
amess
maltese
silk
handmade

Handmade Maltese silk lace )lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/2012) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Hay Rake

Key words

farm
machinery
hay
chaff
hay rake
horse drawn
rake
churchill island

Burgundy hay rake, yellow wheels, double row of rakes. Nore modern than other rake in collection with single row of rakes.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Paper document report - BORDESAN

Key words

bordesan
j.d. riedel-e. de haen a.g.
churchill island
s.w. peterson & co ltd
chemical

Paper document report, carbon copy, foolscap, on 'Bordesan', a colloidal suspension of a highly fungicial copper preparation, written by J.D. Riedal-E. de Haen A.G., Chemical Works, Berlin-Britz, Germany, and a memo from S.W. Peterson & Co. Ltd, Sydney Office to Mr. Sutcliffe, Melbourne. 15 pages

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The document demonstrates farming and fungicide methods of the era.

Inscriptions & Markings

Bordesan, J.D. Riedel-E. de Haen A.G., Churchill Island, S.W. Peterson & Co Ltd

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

spanner

Key words

double
ended
spanner
box
open
tool
tools
farm
churchill island

double ended spanner. Box one end; open the other

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Coolgardie type meat safe

Pale green enamelled meat safe fitted for Coolgardie curtains (not present) fittings and 3 sides for curtains. One internal shelf 1/2 way and base. Grids of holes square with cross shaped decoration to each grid. Some surface rust. Water reservoir on top.

Inscriptions & Markings

"PORTABLE PANTRY"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Beaded piece

Key words

beading
beaded
churchill island
janet amess lace collection
amess
lace

See photo

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Handwritten notes on paper - Cow milking amounts and content

Key words

cow milking amount
cow milk butter fat
churchill island
harry jenkins

Handwritten notes in pencil on paper for evening and morning milkings amount and butter fat content for eight cows. Dated 10th August 1944. Assumed author Harry Jenkins.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Level

Key words

level
carpenter's tools
hand tools

Paint spots and wear at grooves. Wood, glass bubbles, brass cover over bubble. Round maker's seal missing.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wagonette

Key words

farm machinery
horse drawn vehicles
wagonette

Black four wheeled wagonette

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Grain hopper/grinder

Key words

farm machinery
grain grinder
hopper
machine driven
churchill island

Yellow wooden hopper on black grinder with blue parts mounted on green stand. Attached by belt drive to Sundial engine

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Chaff cutter

Key words

farm
machinery
hay
chaff
chaff cutter
machine driven
churchill island

Long wooden chute, green metal works. Attached to engine by drive wheel/belt. Mounted on sleepers. Has been used for demonstrations but no longer allowed

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Crochet square

Key words

crochet
churchill island
janet amess
lace collection
lace

Hand Crochet (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photo

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Winnower

Key words

farm machinery
winnower
hand operated

Hand operated winnower with handle and hopper unpainted

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

LACE TRIM

Key words

churchill island
lace
janet amess lace collection
trim
amess

Machine made lace with spotted and floral pattern

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

lace trim

Key words

churchill island
lace
jane amess
lace collection

Irish crochet handmade lace trim, ivory

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lace Trim

Key words

lace
janet amess lace collection
churchill island
amess
trim

Machine Lace (Lace Group Embrioderers' Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Package with note "LIMERICK LACE TRIMMINGS"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

twist drill bits X 8

A variety of sized drill bits, surface rust.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Double ended spanner

Key words

double
ended
spanner
tool
tools
churchill island
farm

stainless steel, some pitting. One end slightly smaller than the other

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

fishing reel handle

Key words

ted jenkins
fishing
reel
churchill island
western port
handle
jenkins
campbell
margaret
jimmy

brass handle with turned wooden handles either end, brass flat and slightly tapered each end, hole in centre for attaching to reel.

Historical information

E H "Ted" Jenkins was the paraplegic son of Harry Jenkins who bought Churchill Island in 1936 as an interest for Ted. Ted lived on Churchill Island at various times with his nurse Sr Margaret "Jimmy" Campbell, e.g. second world war when they ran a shorthorn dairy farm, and at other times lived in their home in Melbourne. Ted was keen on 'ham' radio, and had many friends from his school who became life-long friends and frequent visitors to him on Churchill Island.

Significance

E H "Ted" Jenkins was the paraplegic son of Harry Jenkins who bought Churchill Island in 1936 as an interest for Ted. Ted lived on Churchill Island at various times with his nurse Sr Margaret "Jimmy" Campbell, e.g. second world war when they ran a shorthorn dairy farm, and at other times lived in their home in Melbourne. Ted was keen on 'ham' radio, and had many friends from his school who became life-long friends and frequent visitors to him on Churchill Island.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

length of lace trim

Key words

churchill island
lace
janet amess lace collection
trim
amess

machine made lace trim with selvage edge on one side and undulating edge with picots, geometric iinerior

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Churchill Island Six Pound Cannon

Key words

churchill island
cannon
shenandoah
samuel amess
woolamai house
cleeland

Cannon mounted on wooden carriage with loading shaft.

Historical information

Samuel Amess placed the cannon on Churchill Island, claiming that it had been given to him by Captain Waddell of the Confederate ship Shenandoah in return for hospitailty during the ship's time in Melbourne in 1865. John Cleeland, who built Woolamai House on Phillip Island, claimed that it was firstly given to him. Research into the voyages of the Shenandoah give no evidence for this and suggest it was unlikely to have come from the Shenandoah or its prizes. Investigation by the Victorian Conservation Trust in 1982 to identify the manufacture and provenance of the cannon proved fruitless. A summary of the research evidence and arguments is given in "The Churchill Island Cannon: History and Mystery" by David Maunders on www.friendsofchurchillisland.org.au/xoops/modules (Friends of Churcill Island website).

Inscriptions & Markings

860 FRECK

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Iron wheel

Key words

farm machinery
wheel
iron wheel

Unpainted iron whell designed for heavy loads

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

wedge

Key words

timber splitting
churchill island heritage farm
olinda
shady creek
wilfred dungan collection

wood splitting wedge; commercially made; steel; relief groove; surface rust

Historical information

Used with other wood cutting/splitting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Pair gloves

Key words

gloves
ladies gloves
pigskin gloves
fashion
churchill island heritage farm

One pair tan ladies pigskin gloves. Three lines of stitched decoration on back of both gloves

Historical information

Belonged to CIHF volunteer Jeff Cole's aunt May Hart, a very stylish woman of the 1920s, keen on horse racing

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Scoop

Key words

farm
machinery
scoop
horse drawn
churchill island

Mud scoop

Historical information

Recovered from San Remo property.

Inscriptions & Markings

Gaston

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

cross cut saw

single handed cross-cut saw. Peg grip missing?

Inscriptions & Markings

circular brass manufacturer's plate: SPEAR & JACKSON Sheffield. Crown symbol.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Page of typed notes - Notes on early writings on Chapter Four

Key words

churchill island
john rogers
georgiana mchaffie
j.d. mchaffie
phillip island
acclimatisation society
samuel amess

A4 page single sided. Key dates and events 23 May 1856 - June 1 1872 re: Rogers, McHaffie, Amess for book/s on Churchill Island by donor Pat Baird.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Argus (?) p.6" black handwritten

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

drainage pipe

Key words

terracotta pipe
drainage
churchill island heritage farm

Section of terracotta pipe broken at both ends.

Historical information

Found on Churchill Island. Possibly used for dairy drainage?

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Fern hook

Key words

parker tools
fern hook
agriculture
churchill island heritage farm

fern hook with surface rust, but made from good steel. No handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

"PARKER CAST" image of feet in first ballet position, with No 6 under left foot. "1281"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

saw set

Incomplete. Bronze saw set with no fittings except striker. Red paint spots.

Inscriptions & Markings

Eclipse No 77. Made in England

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Cheese Press

Key words

farm machinery
dairy
churchill island
cheese
hand operated

Metal cheese press, white

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wire strainer

Key words

wire
strainer
tool
tools
farm
farming
churchill island

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

no image

Cattle Ear Tag #29

Key words

churchill island
dairy shorthorn
harry jenkins
clearing sale
ear tag

Fawn coloured medium weight cardboard cattle ear tag #29 black print. Oblong with rounded corners and remnant of hole punched at one end. For "Churchill Whisper 3rd".

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Paling/shingle cutting blade

Key words

paling
shingle
cutting
blade
tool
tools
churchill island
farm

well used blacksmith made. No handle

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Black on cream lace collar

Key words

lace
churchill island
janet amess lace collection
amess
collar
garment
clothing
machine

Machine made lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Iron bound wooden mallet

Key words

iron bound
wooden
mallet
tool
tools
hammer
churchill island

Round wooden handle. Large head with metal band at each end. Some paint stains.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Limerick Lace Collar

Key words

lace
churchill island
janet amess lace collection
limerick
collar
clothing
amess

Hand embroidered Limerick style lace (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Limerick Lace Collar"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven