Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village Warrnambool, Victoria

The Shipwreck Coast of Victoria has a rich maritime history. The spectacular coastline is the final resting place of over 180 wrecks along our beautiful and wild coastline.

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village is both a museum with Australia's richest shipwreck collection and an 1870's village located on the state heritage listed and still operating Lady Bay Lighthouse precinct. The village provide a glimpse into the maritime lifestyles and trades of the 1870's era, the peak of Australia's maritime heritage.

Links

Contact Information

location
89 Merri St Warrnambool Victoria 3280 (map)
phone
+61 03 5559 4600

Contact

Opening Hours

9am - Late Daily 7 Day per Week

Entry Fee

By Day - Museum: $18.00 adult, $14.50 concession, $8.50 child, $48.00 family. By Night - Shipwrecked Sound and Laser Experience: Adults $30, Concession $27, Child $15.95, Family $77

Location

89 Merri Street Warrnambool Victoria

View on Google Maps

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village collection holds over 10,000 items.

Our focus is centered around early Victorian shipwreck and settlement artefacts from 1850 - 1940.

Our most significant item is the Loch Ard Peacock which is a minton earthernware majolica glazed peacock that survived the shipwreck of the Loch Ard. Other items of interest in our collection include the Carmichael Watch, the ships bells from numerous Shipwrecks, cannons and the Schomberg Diamond Ring.

Ongoing work continues to better understand our collection and we welcome comments you may have on any items you see. We are not experts and will value your contribution.

PLEASE NOTE WE ARE NOT A VALUATION SERVICE AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ADVISE YOU OF ANY VALUES ON YOUR ITEMS.

Significance

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village's collection of items is significant as it is the largest collection of shipwreck artefacts to be held in Victoria. The value of the collection is also important due to the provenance of many of the items, their social significance as well as their rarity.

Cr Jacinta Ermacora, Mayor of Warrnambool 24 July 2011 2:57 PM

Thanks Peter, The Victorian Community Collections Project is a ground breaking project and will prove invaluable for heritage preservation on behalf of our community here in Warrnambool. Please pass on my appreciation to the volunteers and staff involved in the project

Peter Abbott 31 January 2013 11:54 PM

Great archive of items. Well done to volunteers who have developed this rich collection and ways to view it. Can not wait to see more.

Margaret 14 October 2013 9:27 AM

Is it me? Finding a lot of the photographs are not coming up on view. Are there gremlins in the system or?? Great idea - will check back again.

Helen Sheedy 17 October 2013 3:35 PM

Thanks for your comment Margaret. yes there are a number of photos that did not load in the mass upload computer. Our volunteer team is busily working away to get as many of these online at the moment. As you can imagine it is an enormous task checking through all 7000 items. If there is an item in particular you would like to view let me know and I can alert the team to ensure the photo is loaded asap.

Leave a comment

8296 items

8296 items

6891.06

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Fishing rod kit with three rod handles and two ends, stored in brown fabric bag (2 compartments and tape fastening). Part of the W.R. Angus Collection. (1) Cork rod handle with wooden rod, plus wooden rod end. (2) wooden rod handle with 'crocodile skin' pattern carved into handle. (3) wooden handle with yellow plastic rod and reel, and yyellow plastic rod end. Reel is Junior Capstan 14, Made in Australia.

Historical information

This fishing rod kit was donated to Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village by the family of Doctor William Roy Angus, Surgeon and Oculist. It is part of the “W.R. Angus Collection” includes historical medical equipment, surgical instruments and material once belonging to Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Thomas Francis Ryan, (both of Nhill, Victoria) as well as Dr Angus’ own belongings. The Collection’s history spans the medical practices of the two Doctors Ryan, from 1885-1926 plus that of Dr Angus, up until 1969. ABOUT THE “W.R.ANGUS COLLECTION” Doctor William Roy Angus M.B., B.S., Adel., 1923, F.R.C.S. Edin.,1928 (also known as Dr Roy Angus) was born in Murrumbeena, Victoria in 1901 and lived until 1970. He qualified as a doctor in 1923 at University of Adelaide, was Resident Medical Officer at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in 1924 and for a period was house surgeon to Sir (then Mr.) Henry Simpson Newland. Dr Angus was briefly an Assistant to Dr Riddell of Kapunda, then commenced private practice at Curramulka, Yorke Peninsula, SA, where he was physician, surgeon and chemist. In 1926, he was appointed as new Medical Assistant to Dr Thomas Francis Ryan (T.F. Ryan, or Tom), in Nhill, Victoria, where his experiences included radiology and pharmacy. In 1927 he was Acting House Surgeon in Dr Tom Ryan’s absence. Dr Angus had become engaged to Gladys Forsyth and they decided he further his studies overseas in the UK in 1927. He studied at London University College Hospital and at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and in 1928, was awarded FRCS (Fellow from the Royal College of Surgeons), Edinburgh. He worked his passage back to Australia as a Ship’s Surgeon on the on the Australian Commonwealth Line’s T.S.S. Largs Bay. Dr Angus married Gladys in 1929, in Ballarat. (They went on to have one son (Graham 1932, born in SA) and two daughters (Helen (died 12/07/1996) and Berenice (Berry), both born at Mira, Nhill ) According to Berry, her mother Gladys made a lot of their clothes. She was very talented and did some lovely embroidery including lingerie for her trousseau and beautifully handmade baby clothes. Dr Angus was a ‘flying doctor’ for the A.I.M. (Australian Inland Ministry) Aerial Medical Service in 1928 . Its first station was in the remote town of Oodnadatta, where Dr Angus was stationed. He was locum tenens there on North-South Railway at 21 Mile Camp. He took up this ‘flying doctor’ position in response to a call from Dr John Flynn; the organisation was later known as the Flying Doctor Service, then the Royal Flying Doctor Service. A lot of his work during this time involved dental surgery also. Between 1928-1932 he was surgeon at the Curramulka Hospital, Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. In 1933 Dr Angus returned to Nhill and purchased a share of the Nelson Street practice and Mira hospital (a 2 bed ward at the Nelson Street Practice) from Dr Les Middleton one of the Middleton Brothers, the current owners of what previously once Dr Tom Ryan’s practice. Dr Tom and his brother had worked as surgeons included eye surgery. Dr Tom Ryan performed many of his operations in the Mira private hospital on his premises. He had been House Surgeon at the Nhill Hospital 1902-1926. Dr Tom Ryan had one of the only two pieces of radiology equipment in Victoria during his practicing years – The Royal Melbourne Hospital had the other one. Over the years Dr Tom Ryan had gradually set up what was effectively a training school for country general-practitioner-surgeons. Each patient was carefully examined, including using the X-ray machine, and any surgery was discussed and planned with Dr Ryan’s assistants several days in advance. Dr Angus gained experience in using the X-ray machine there during his time as assistant to Dr Ryan. When Dr Angus bought into the Nelson Street premises in Nhill he was also appointed as the Nhill Hospital’s Honorary House Surgeon 1933-1938. His practitioner’s plate from his Nhill surgery is now mounted on the doorway to the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool. When Dr Angus took up practice in the Dr Edward and Dr Tom Ryan’s old premises he obtained their extensive collection of historical medical equipment and materials spanning 1884-1926. A large part of this collection is now on display at the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village in Warrnambool. In 1939 Dr Angus and his family moved to Warrnambool where he purchased “Birchwood,” the 1852 home and medical practice of Dr John Hunter Henderson, at 214 Koroit Street. (This property was sold in1965 to the State Government and is now the site of the Warrnambool Police Station. and an ALDI sore is on the land that was once their tennis court). The Angus family was able to afford gardeners, cooks and maids; their home was a popular place for visiting dignitaries to stay whilst visiting Warrnambool. Dr Angus had his own silk worm farm at home in a Mulberry tree. His young daughter used his centrifuge for spinning the silk. Dr Angus was appointed on a part-time basis as Port Medical Officer (Health Officer) in Warrnambool and held this position until the 1940’s when the government no longer required the service of a Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool; he was thus Warrnambool’s last serving Port Medical Officer. (Masters of immigrant ships arriving in port reported incidents of diseases, illness and death and the Port Medical Officer made a decision on whether the ship required Quarantine and for how long, in this way preventing contagious illness from spreading from new immigrants to the residents already in the colony.) Dr Angus was a member of the Australian Medical Association, for 35 years and surgeon at the Warrnambool Base Hospital 1939-1942, He served with the Australian Department of Defence as a Surgeon Captain during WWII 1942-45, in Ballarat, Victoria, and in Bonegilla, N.S.W., completing his service just before the end of the war due to suffering from a heart attack. During his convalescence he carved an intricate and ‘most artistic’ chess set from the material that dentures were made from. He then studied ophthalmology at the Royal Melbourne Eye and Ear Hospital and created cosmetically superior artificial eyes by pioneering using the intrascleral cartilage. Angus received accolades from the Ophthalmological Society of Australasia for this work. He returned to Warrnambool to commence practice as an ophthalmologist, pioneering in artificial eye improvements. He was Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist to Warrnambool Base Hospital for 31 years. He made monthly visits to Portland as a visiting surgeon, to perform eye surgery. He represented the Victorian South-West subdivision of the Australian Medical Association as its secretary between 1949 and 1956 and as chairman from 1956 to 1958. In 1968 Dr Angus was elected member of Spain’s Barraquer Institute of Barcelona after his research work in Intrasclearal cartilage grafting, becoming one of the few Australian ophthalmologists to receive this honour, and in the following year presented his final paper on Living Intrasclearal Cartilage Implants at the Inaugural Meeting of the Australian College of Ophthalmologists in Melbourne In his personal life Dr Angus was a Presbyterian and treated Sunday as a Sabbath, a day of rest. He would visit 3 or 4 country patients on a Sunday, taking his children along ‘for the ride’ and to visit with him. Sunday evenings he would play the pianola and sing Scottish songs to his family. One of Dr Angus’ patients was Margaret MacKenzie, author of a book on local shipwrecks that she’d seen as an eye witness from the late 1880’s in Peterborough, Victoria. In the early 1950’s Dr Angus, painted a picture of a shipwreck for the cover jacket of Margaret’s book, Shipwrecks and More Shipwrecks. She was blind in later life and her daughter wrote the actual book for her. Dr Angus and his wife Gladys were very involved in Warrnambool’s society with a strong interest in civic affairs. He had an interest in people and the community They were both involved in the creation of Flagstaff Hill, including the layout of the gardens. After his death (28th March 1970) his family requested his practitioner’s plate, medical instruments and some personal belongings be displayed in the Port Medical Office surgery at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, and be called the “W. R. Angus Collection”.

Significance

The W.R. Angus Collection is significant for still being located at the site it is connected with, Doctor Angus being the last Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool. The collection of medical instruments and other equipment is culturally significant, being an historical example of medicine from late 19th to mid-20th century. Dr Angus assisted Dr Tom Ryan, a pioneer in the use of X-rays and in ocular surgery.

Inscriptions & Markings

Reel is imprinted “JUNIOR / CAPSTAN / 14 / MADE IN AUSTRALIA”.

Abacus

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Abacus or counting frame-wood frame with plain wood beads

Accordion

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

A Mezon button accordion with a tan coloured canite carrying case with red lining. it has 3 bass valves and 10 treble valves.

Inscriptions & Markings

Instrument has Menzon Accordion Lyons Bourke St Melbourne, Made in Saxony

Accordion

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Mezon Accordion manufactured for Lyons, Melbourne. Made in Saxony. Has nameplate on front "T H Betts". Accordion in wooden box with red interior. Two clips on front. Lock cover loose. Thin wire handle on top. Length 13½" x 7¼" x 12½"

Inscriptions & Markings

Has nameplate on front "T H Betts"

Account Book

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Conquest Account book on Doctor's table. Blue cloth cover with brown leather spine

Account Book - Associated Steamship Owners Accounts

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Associated Steamship Owners Accounts

Adding Machine

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Adding machine with thirteen vertical rows of keys with clearing handle on side. Fraction keys on right hand side, and three keys missing along top row. Lever on side of machine. Two short feet at front, two long feet at back, giving slope to machine for ease of use. Serial Number "5-891861" Paper label with "Sets Mess Property" on at back of machine.

Inscriptions & Markings

Serial Number "5-891861" Paper label with "Sets Mess Property" on back of machine.

Adding Machine

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Adding machine with Burroughs inscribed on front. Six columns of numbers with total, subtotal and repeat. Key handle for print-out and three fraction keys. Paper roll dispenser at top of machine.

Address Book

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Address book. Black patterned cloth cover

Adze

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Adze with wooden handle curved painted green with patent number and maker's name inscribed on inside curve of blade. Inscribed "Patd 561 Ward" "2w". [Number not found]

Adze

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Adze blade 70mm handle 200mm. Handle has nut & bolt screwed No 2 marked

Adze

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Adze 830mmL x 28mmH x 10mm blade width

Adze

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Adze. Marked on blade 38 & 2 Made in England. Curved handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

Marked on blade "38" & "2" " Made in England"

Adze

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Hand Adze, No 4 marked 24.5cm blade x 8.5cm handle 20cm

Adze

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Ships Carpenters Adze. Has Malone Forged Made In Australia on blade. Has a curved handle. Overall height 730mm Length of blade 285mm width of blade 100mm

Adze

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Hand Adze or cooper's howel adze No 4 A Mathieson & Sons Glasgow

Altar

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Altar wooden 2 piece, panelled with varnished finish. Detachable vertical panel with decoration of a sword and 2 anchors. Made by Hadwen and Houghton, Malvern.

Altar Cloths

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

A frontal, or Antependium, is the same size as the front of the altar. Some churches opt for a plain frontal as this one is, has an embossed cross in the centre and blue in colour (Advent), it is W 52cm x L139cm. One characteristic is shared by all frontals: they are coloured green, red, purple, blue, black, white, gold or of unbleached muslin, and are changed according to the colour of the Church year.

Altar Cloths

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

The Burse (AKA a "corporas-case") is a type of folder used to carry the corporal to and from the altar. It is made out of two square pieces of cardboard laid one on top of the other, then bound together along one edge to form a hinge. Sometimes, an extra purificator may be placed inside the pall. The other item is a Chalice Veil which is placed over the chalice, paten, and purificator when the vessels are prepared for the Eucharist and placed on the altar; it is removed before the Consecration. Both are Purple with white embroidered cross and trim (Lent or Advent).

Altar Cloths

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

The Burse (AKA a "corporas-case") is a type of folder used to carry the corporal to and from the altar. It is made out of two square pieces of cardboard laid one on top of the other, then bound together along one edge to form a hinge. Sometimes, an extra purificator may be placed inside the pall. The other item is a Chalice Veil which is placed over the chalice, paten, and purificator when the vessels are prepared for the Eucharist and placed on the altar; it is removed before the Consecration. Both are White with gold trim (Christmas, Easter and some Holy Days).

Altar Cloths

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

The Burse (AKA a "corporas-case") is a type of folder used to carry the corporal to and from the altar. It is made out of two square pieces of cardboard laid one on top of the other, then bound together along one edge to form a hinge. Sometimes, an extra purificator may be placed inside the pall. The other item is a Chalice Veil which is placed over the chalice, paten, and purificator when the vessels are prepared for the Eucharist and placed on the altar; it is removed before the Consecration. Both are Green with gold embroidered cross and trim (Epiphany and Ordinary Time).

Altar Cloths

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

The Burse (AKA a "corporas-case") is a type of folder used to carry the corporal to and from the altar. It is made out of two square pieces of cardboard laid one on top of the other, then bound together along one edge to form a hinge. Sometimes, an extra purificator may be placed inside the pall. The other item is a Chalice Veil which is placed over the chalice, paten, and purificator when the vessels are prepared for the Eucharist and placed on the altar; it is removed before the Consecration. Both are Red with gold embroidered cross and trim (Holy Week, Pentecost and feasts of martyred saints).

Ammunition Shell

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Ammunition shell from a 40Ib Armstrong Rifled Breach loading (RBL) Gun. Metal bullet-shaped object, flat base, tapering to cone-shaped tip. Parallel equidistant ridges run from outer edge of base to position where cone shape begins. Tip has a square-shaped hole in the centre and has a very uneven surface. Base has corrosion and metal is flaking away. Does not contain explosives. Remnants of white paint-like substance in several places. From the Hastings, Victoria, area. Late 19th - early 20th century.

Historical information

Ammunition shell was used in a 40 lb Armstrong Rifled Breach Loading (RBL) Gun. The shell was fired into Westernport Bay by the Hastings Battery Field Artillery in late 800’s or early 1900’s. It was recovered by divers in recent times. It does not contain explosives because the projectile and explosive were separate items. The Armstrong 40 lb BL Gun There were 4 x 40lb Armstrong (RBL) Guns issued to the Ham and Beef Battery at Hastings Victoria. After the Hastings Battery field artillery disbanded, the 4 Guns were transferred from the Hastings Battery to the Warrnambool Battery field artillery in 1904. (There is a photograph of one of these guns on its carriage, pictured in front of the Orderly room (Drill Hall) at Warrnambool, which is now the Library of South West TAFE). The 40lb Armstrong Guns were recalled back to Melbourne when the government issued the updated 4.7inch QF (Quick Firing) Naval Guns, mounted on carriages, to the Warrnambool Garrison Artillery 1907. The Hastings Museum today holds one of the original 40lb Armstrong RBL guns that were at first at Hastings and then Warrnambool, evidenced by tracing the numbers on that gun. This gun has now been restored. Surviving 40 lb Armstrong BL Guns in Australia The Hastings Museum has restored one of the Guns that was at Hastings and then from 1904-1907 in Warrnambool. This Gun is now on display at the Hastings Museum. [Reference; Garrison Volunteer at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, March and November 2017 ; Wikipedia RBL 40 pounder Armstrong gun]

Significance

This ammunition shell from a 40lb Armstrong RBL gun is very significant because of its association with the Warrnambool Battery Field Artillery in the early 1904-1907. It is known that the original 40lb Armstrong RBL gun used in Warrnambool is now restored and on display at the Hastings Museum.

Ampoule

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Ampoule glass 1cc Synkamine

Ampoule

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Ampoule glass cylindrical (3) with snap off neck. In cardboard box-Cytamen label

Anchor

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Anchor 5 pronged metal with loop at bottom to attach anti-snag rope. Long shank painted black. Label attached "Henry P Parker and Co"

Anchor

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Anchor metal with double bent hook. Stock, eye, loop and shackle at top of anchor. Stock held in position with pin. Anchor painted black.

Anchor

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Anchor metal galvanised with shackle and rope hole at top of anchor and two curved flat pointed metal hooks at the base of the anchor.

Anchor

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Sea Anchor, canvas with metal ring and small eyelets. Rope attached at four points and joined at the top around thimble.

Anchor

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Anchor 5 pronged, black painted galvanised iron, sharpened ends with hole at top. H 55cm