Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village Warrnambool, Victoria

The Shipwreck Coast of Victoria has a rich maritime history. The spectacular coastline is the final resting place of over 180 wrecks along our beautiful and wild coastline.

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village is both a museum with Australia's richest shipwreck collection and an 1870's village located on the state heritage listed and still operating Lady Bay Lighthouse precinct. The village provide a glimpse into the maritime lifestyles and trades of the 1870's era, the peak of Australia's maritime heritage.

Links

Contact Information

location
89 Merri St Warrnambool Victoria 3280 (map)
phone
+61 03 5559 4600

Contact

Opening Hours

9am - Late Daily 7 Day per Week

Entry Fee

By Day - Museum: $18.00 adult, $14.50 concession, $8.50 child, $48.00 family. By Night - Shipwrecked Sound and Laser Experience: Adults $30, Concession $27, Child $15.95, Family $77

Location

89 Merri Street Warrnambool Victoria

View on Google Maps

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village collection holds over 10,000 items.

Our focus is centered around early Victorian shipwreck and settlement artefacts from 1850 - 1940.

Our most significant item is the Loch Ard Peacock which is a minton earthernware majolica glazed peacock that survived the shipwreck of the Loch Ard. Other items of interest in our collection include the Carmichael Watch, the ships bells from numerous Shipwrecks, cannons and the Schomberg Diamond Ring.

Ongoing work continues to better understand our collection and we welcome comments you may have on any items you see. We are not experts and will value your contribution.

PLEASE NOTE WE ARE NOT A VALUATION SERVICE AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ADVISE YOU OF ANY VALUES ON YOUR ITEMS.

Significance

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village's collection of items is significant as it is the largest collection of shipwreck artefacts to be held in Victoria. The value of the collection is also important due to the provenance of many of the items, their social significance as well as their rarity.

Cr Jacinta Ermacora, Mayor of Warrnambool 24 July 2011 2:57 PM

Thanks Peter, The Victorian Community Collections Project is a ground breaking project and will prove invaluable for heritage preservation on behalf of our community here in Warrnambool. Please pass on my appreciation to the volunteers and staff involved in the project

Peter Abbott 31 January 2013 11:54 PM

Great archive of items. Well done to volunteers who have developed this rich collection and ways to view it. Can not wait to see more.

Margaret 14 October 2013 9:27 AM

Is it me? Finding a lot of the photographs are not coming up on view. Are there gremlins in the system or?? Great idea - will check back again.

Helen Sheedy 17 October 2013 3:35 PM

Thanks for your comment Margaret. yes there are a number of photos that did not load in the mass upload computer. Our volunteer team is busily working away to get as many of these online at the moment. As you can imagine it is an enormous task checking through all 7000 items. If there is an item in particular you would like to view let me know and I can alert the team to ensure the photo is loaded asap.

Victorian Collections is no longer accepting public comments

Contact the collector

8297 items

8297 items

Anchor

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Anchor 5 pronged metal with loop at bottom to attach anti-snag rope. Long shank painted black. Label attached "Henry P Parker and Co"

Anchor

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Anchor metal with double bent hook. Stock, eye, loop and shackle at top of anchor. Stock held in position with pin. Anchor painted black.

Anchor

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Anchor 2 pronged metal with flattened points heavily corroded with two eyes and a loop,

Anchor

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

A large forged-wrought iron anchor from the wreck of the CHILDREN. Flat hammer-welded flukes on opposing curved arms and a peaked crown. It has a metal (elbowed) stock or cross-bar and a heavy duty pinned shackle (not ring) for the anchor chain. It is in fair condition but extensively corroded after 135 years on seabed (supported on display) .

Historical information

Historical Information: The anchor is from the wooden sailing ship CHILDREN, which was wrecked at Childers Cove east of Warrnambool on the 15th of January 1839 with the loss of 16 lives. The Children anchor was raised from the wreck site by Flagstaff Hill Divers; Peter Ronald, Garry Hayden (Terang, still), Tim Goodall (now Warrnambool), and Colin Goodall (now Warrnambool), on Sunday 3rd January 1974. A week or so later it was dragged up the cliffs and taken to Warrnambool. It is now on display near the entrance to the Maritime Village and Museum. It appears to be a Pering’s Improved Anchor, developed at Portsmouth after 1813. The addition of broad curvature to the anchor arms provided a stronger purchase than the pre-existing Admiralty Old Pattern Long Shanked Anchor with straight arms. However, the evidence of hammer-welding the separate pieces of the arms and palms to the central shank (peaked crown and flat palms) suggests the manufacture is before the 1831 Rodger’s Anchor design, (which cast both arms and their flukes as one piece that was then attached to the shank by a bolt through the crown). This identification seems consistent with the date of the CHILDREN’s construction in 1824. The CHILDREN was a three masted barque with a wooden hull built at Liverpool in England. She was bought by the Henty family of Portland (Australia Felix) in 1837 for regular coastal trading between Van Diemens Land, the Port Phillip District of New South Wales and South Australia. Only 255 tons burden (92 feet in length, with a beam of 25 feet and depth of 17 feet), she sailed from Launceston bound for Adelaide in late December1838, on her first Australian voyage and under the English master who had brought her out – Captain H. Browne. On board the CHILDREN were 24 passengers, including 9 children; the captain and 14 crew; livestock of 1500 sheep, 8 bullocks and 7 horses; general cargo of beef, pork, tobacco, tripe, butter, limejuice, horse hair, currants, lead shot, beer and spirits; 5,000 house bricks from London; and six whaling boats with associated whaling gear. The vessel was battered by gale force north-westerly winds shortly after setting out from Launceston on 11 January 1839 and adverse sailing conditions persisted for the next four days. At 11 pm on the 15th of January 1839, and many miles north and east of the captain’s navigated position, the CHILDREN struck the Pinnacle, a limestone stack off Childers Cove. Within half an hour the ship was completely destroyed. As well as the loss of livestock and cargo, 16 passengers and crew perished, including the captain, six men, one woman and eight children. In 1931 shifting sands at Childers Cove uncovered the skeleton of an adult male. In 1951 another two skeletons were exposed by storms, an adult male and a child. In 1963 some district scuba divers retrieved a small signal-cannon from the site. And in 1974 Flagstaff Hill recovered the anchor and some house bricks.

Significance

The shipwreck of the CHILDREN is of state significance – Victorian Heritage Register No. S116.

Aneurism Needle

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Aneurism Needle, metal with flat handle & hook on end with aperture.Maker Mayer & Meltzer London.

Angle Bit stock

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Adjustable Angle Bit-stock. Used for drilling in difficult places. Is fully adjustable and pivots around a universal joint

Angular Bit Stock extension

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Universal Angular bit stock with spring type alligator jaws, main casting is Japanned bright parts are nickel plated item used with a bit & brace as an extension or angular borer. Model 109

Historical information

Millers Falls Co. is a tool manufacturing company originally based in Millers Falls, Massachusetts. It was established in Greenfield, Massachusetts in 1868 as Gunn & Amidon by Levi J. Gunn and Charles H. Amidon. Gunn and Amidon, along with a third partner, Henry L. Pratt built a factory in the north of Greenfield. After the Greenfield factory burned down, the company was reorganized as the Millers Falls Manufacturing Co. It merged with Backus Vise Co. in 1872 to form the Millers Falls Co. In 1931 Millers Falls tools purchased the majority of the shares of Goodell-Pratt tools and merged with that manufacturer in 1932.In 1962 the company was acquired by Ingersoll Rand. In 1982, Ingersoll Rand sold the Millers Falls business to the newly created Millers Falls Tool Co. The company was head quartered in Alpha, New Jersey. Since 2002 the company trademark has belonged to Hangzhou Great Star Industrial Co., Ltd, of Hangzhou, China.

Significance

An interesting an unusual tool made by the Millers Falls Tool company that continued to be featured in it’s catalogue up and till 1922. The tool was manufactured from 1897 until this date and is sought out by collectors of vintage tools.

Inscriptions & Markings

Millers Falls Co. USA

Anvil

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Anvil, single horn, used as a tool by blacksmiths and metalworkers. Large block of metal with a flat top face, a conical horn on one side and a ‘v’ shape on the other. The anvil’s base has a squat stand and sides that are a variety of shapes. This anvil once belonged to Harry Goodall & Sons, blacksmiths of Terang. C. early to mid-1900s.

Historical information

This anvil once belonged to Goodall and Sons, who were blacksmiths in Terang. The smith was called upon to do a variety of work. In the early 1900s he was often the nearest person to be able to perform an engineer’s services for many miles around. An anvil is used by blacksmiths to forge and shape his work pieces. The conical horn is used for hammering curved work pieces. The anvil is a common tool of the blacksmiths (‘smithies’) and other metalworkers. There has been very little change in the basic design of the anvil since Greek and Roman times. Henry Goodall (1870-1936) Henry Goodall was proprietor of garages as H. Goodall & Sons Pty. Ltd., at both Terang (McKinnon and High Streets) and Mortlake (Dunlop Street). His business was in operation in at least in 1916 and perhaps well before, considering the date of the tyre bender and its use for wagons with wooden wheels. It was still in operation in 1953, chasing up debtors in Mount Gambier Court. Amongst the employees of H. Goodall & Sons Pty. Ltd. was Ernie Entwistle, a blacksmith (a soldier who died in 1916 ) and Alfred Hodgetts, radio expert (killed in a fatal accident in 1943, when he was in his early 30s ). Henry Goodall was involved in the community as a Justice of Peace, a deputy coroner, President of the Mortlake Hospital, trustee of the Soldiers’ Memorial Hall, and as a prominent Freemason. He and his wife had two sons (Charles and John) and one daughter (Mrs. Chas. Newton, of Skipton).

Significance

The anvil is locally significant as it was used by a local company in Terang and Mortlake in their blacksmith, wheelwright and garage business. It is an example of the tools of the blacksmiths’ trade in Victoria in the early to mid-1900s.

Anvil

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Anvil, small, for use by blacksmiths and tinsmiths.It was once the property of the Warrnambool Ports and Harbours.

Historical information

This anvil was once the property of Warrnambool Ports and Harbours. It is associated with the shipping trade and wold have been used by a blacksmith or tinsmith for forging and shaping metal. According to Pliny, the anvil is supposed to be invented by Cinyra of Cyprus, but it was probably much older. There has been very little change in the basic design of the anvil since Greek and Roman times.

Significance

This anvil is significant for its association with the local government body of Warrnambool Ports and Harbours, which is of local historic significance. It is also significant for its association with blacksmiths and tinsmiths, which are rare trades today.

Apothecary Weight Set

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Apothecary or pharmacy weights set, metric, in fitted wooden box with metal hook latch, part of the W.R. Angus Collection. Round brass weights (50g, 20g, 20g, 10g, 5g, 2g, 2g, 1g) and small silver sheet weights under glass (500mg, 200mg, 200mg, 50mg, 10mg, 5mg, & 5 other smaller ones), plus brass tweezers. Lid of box has metal maker's plate "MADE SPECIALLY / FOR / H B SILBERBERG & CO. / MELBOURNE"

Historical information

This apothecary weights set was supplied by Melbourne by the company “H B Silberberg & Company, Melbourne. The company used this name in Melbourne from 1903-1917, then changed their name to “H.B. Selby & Company”. The firm specialised in the manufacture, import and supply of scientific instruments, laboratory apparatus, chemicals and industrial equipment. It was founded in Melbourne around 1889 by Carl de Beer and traded under the name of his brother Ernest de Beer and Company. Herbert B Silberberg joined the de Beer partnership in 1903 and, later in the same year, bought the de Beers’ shares in the business. Silberberg carried on as de Beer, Silberberg & Company for four months, after which he changed the name to H B Silberberg & Company. (Australian National University Archives; H B Selby and Company Proprietary Limited) This apothecary weights set was donated to Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village by the family of Doctor William Roy Angus, Surgeon and Oculist. It is part of the “W.R. Angus Collection” that includes historical medical equipment, surgical instruments and material once belonging to Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Thomas Francis Ryan, (both of Nhill, Victoria) as well as Dr Angus’ own belongings. The Collection’s history spans the medical practices of the two Doctors Ryan, from 1885-1926 plus that of Dr Angus, up until 1969. ABOUT THE “W.R.ANGUS COLLECTION” Doctor William Roy Angus M.B., B.S., Adel., 1923, F.R.C.S. Edin.,1928 (also known as Dr Roy Angus) was born in Murrumbeena, Victoria in 1901 and lived until 1970. He qualified as a doctor in 1923 at University of Adelaide, was Resident Medical Officer at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in 1924 and for a period was house surgeon to Sir (then Mr.) Henry Simpson Newland. Dr Angus was briefly an Assistant to Dr Riddell of Kapunda, then commenced private practice at Curramulka, Yorke Peninsula, SA, where he was physician, surgeon and chemist. In 1926, he was appointed as new Medical Assistant to Dr Thomas Francis Ryan (T.F. Ryan, or Tom), in Nhill, Victoria, where his experiences included radiology and pharmacy. In 1927 he was Acting House Surgeon in Dr Tom Ryan’s absence. Dr Angus had become engaged to Gladys Forsyth and they decided he would take time to further his studies overseas in the UK in 1927. He studied at London University College Hospital and at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and in 1928, was awarded FRCS (Fellow from the Royal College of Surgeons), Edinburgh. He worked his passage back to Australia as a Ship’s Surgeon on the on the Australian Commonwealth Line’s T.S.S. Largs Bay. Dr Angus married Gladys in 1929, in Ballarat. (They went on to have one son (Graham 1932, born in SA) and two daughters (Helen (died 12/07/1996) and Berenice (Berry), both born at Mira, Nhill ) Dr Angus was a ‘flying doctor’ for the A.I.M. (Australian Inland Ministry) Aerial Medical Service in 1928 . The organisation began in South Australia through the Presbyterian Church in that year, with its first station being in the remote town of Oodnadatta, where Dr Angus was stationed. He was locum tenens there on North-South Railway at 21 Mile Camp. He took up this ‘flying doctor’ position in response to a call from Dr John Flynn; the organisation was later known as the Flying Doctor Service, then the Royal Flying Doctor Service. A lot of his work during this time involved dental surgery also. Between 1928-1932 he was surgeon at the Curramulka Hospital, Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. In 1933 Dr Angus returned to Nhill where he’d previously worked as Medical Assistant and purchased a share of the Nelson Street practice and Mira hospital from Dr Les Middleton one of the Middleton Brothers, the current owners of what was once Dr Tom Ryan’s practice. Dr L Middleton was House Surgeon to the Nhill Hospital 1926-1933, when he resigned. [Dr Tom Ryan’s practice had originally belonged to his older brother Dr Edward Ryan, who came to Nhill in 1885. Dr Edward saw patients at his rooms, firstly in Victoria Street and in 1886 in Nelson Street, until 1901. The Nelson Street practice also had a 2 bed ward, called Mira Private Hospital ). Dr Edward Ryan was House Surgeon at the Nhill Hospital 1884-1902 . He also had occasions where he successfully performed veterinary surgery for the local farmers too. Dr Tom Ryan then purchased the practice from his brother in 1901. Both Dr Edward and Dr Tom Ryan work as surgeons included eye surgery. Dr Tom Ryan performed many of his operations in the Mira private hospital on his premises. He too was House Surgeon at the Nhill Hospital 1902-1926. Dr Tom Ryan had one of the only two pieces of radiology equipment in Victoria during his practicing years – The Royal Melbourne Hospital had the other one. Over the years Dr Tom Ryan gradually set up what was effectively a training school for country general-practitioner-surgeons. Each patient was carefully examined, including using the X-ray machine, and any surgery was discussed and planned with Dr Ryan’s assistants several days in advance. Dr Angus gained experience in using the X-ray machine there during his time as assistant to Dr Ryan. Dr Tom Ryan moved from Nhill in 1926. He became a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 1927, soon after its formation, a rare accolade for a doctor outside any of the major cities. He remained a bachelor and died suddenly on 7th Dec 1955, aged 91, at his home in Ararat. Scholarships and prizes are still awarded to medical students in the honour of Dr T.F. Ryan and his father, Dr Michael Ryan, and brother, John Patrick Ryan. ] When Dr Angus bought into the Nelson Street premises in Nhill he was also appointed as the Nhill Hospital’s Honorary House Surgeon 1933-1938. His practitioner’s plate from his Nhill surgery states “HOURS Daily, except Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturday afternoons, 9-10am, 2-4pm, 7-8pm. Sundays by appointment”. This plate is now mounted on the doorway to the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool. Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Tom Ryan had an extensive collection of historical medical equipment and materials spanning 1884-1926 and when Dr Angus took up practice in their old premises he obtained this collection, a large part of which is now on display at the Port Medical Office at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village in Warrnambool. During his time in Nhill Dr Angus was involved in the merging of the Mira Hospital and Nhill Public Hospital into one public hospital and the property titles passed on to Nhill Hospital in 1939. In 1939 Dr Angus and his family moved to Warrnambool where he purchased “Birchwood,” the 1852 home and medical practice of Dr John Hunter Henderson, at 214 Koroit Street. (This property was sold in1965 to the State Government and is now the site of the Warrnambool Police Station. ). The Angus family was able to afford gardeners, cooks and maids; their home was a popular place for visiting dignitaries to stay whilst visiting Warrnambool. Dr Angus had his own silk worm farm at home in a Mulberry tree. His young daughter used his centrifuge for spinning the silk. Dr Angus was appointed on a part-time basis as Port Medical Officer (Health Officer) in Warrnambool and held this position until the 1940’s when the government no longer required the service of a Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool; he was thus Warrnambool’s last serving Port Medical Officer. (The duties of a Port Medical Officer were outlined by the Colonial Secretary on 21st June, 1839 under the terms of the Quarantine Act. Masters of immigrant ships arriving in port reported incidents of diseases, illness and death and the Port Medical Officer made a decision on whether the ship required Quarantine and for how long, in this way preventing contagious illness from spreading from new immigrants to the residents already in the colony.) Dr Angus was a member of the Australian Medical Association, for 35 years and surgeon at the Warrnambool Base Hospital 1939-1942, He served as a Surgeon Captain during WWII1942-45, in Ballarat, Victoria, and in Bonegilla, N.S.W., completing his service just before the end of the war due to suffering from a heart attack. During his convalescence he carved an intricate and ‘most artistic’ chess set from the material that dentures were made from. He then studied ophthalmology at the Royal Melbourne Eye and Ear Hospital and created cosmetically superior artificial eyes by pioneering using the intrascleral cartilage. Angus received accolades from the Ophthalmological Society of Australasia for this work. He returned to Warrnambool to commence practice as an ophthalmologist, pioneering in artificial eye improvements. He was Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist to Warrnambool Base Hospital for 31 years. He made monthly visits to Portland as a visiting surgeon, to perform eye surgery. He represented the Victorian South-West subdivision of the Australian Medical Association as its secretary between 1949 and 1956 and as chairman from 1956 to 1958. In 1968 Dr Angus was elected member of Spain’s Barraquer Institute of Barcelona after his research work in Intrasclearal cartilage grafting, becoming one of the few Australian ophthalmologists to receive this honour, and in the following year presented his final paper on Living Intrasclearal Cartilage Implants at the Inaugural Meeting of the Australian College of Ophthalmologists in Melbourne In his personal life Dr Angus was a Presbyterian and treated Sunday as a Sabbath, a day of rest. He would visit 3 or 4 country patients on a Sunday, taking his children along ‘for the ride’ and to visit with him. Sunday evenings he would play the pianola and sing Scottish songs to his family. One of Dr Angus’ patients was Margaret MacKenzie, author of a book on local shipwrecks that she’d seen as an eye witness from the late 1880’s in Peterborough, Victoria. In the early 1950’s Dr Angus, painted a picture of a shipwreck for the cover jacket of Margaret’s book, Shipwrecks and More Shipwrecks. She was blind in later life and her daughter wrote the actual book for her. Dr Angus and his wife Gladys were very involved in Warrnambool’s society with a strong interest in civic affairs. Their interests included organisations such as Red Cross, Rostrum, Warrnambool and District Historical Society (founding members), Wine and Food Society, Steering Committee for Tertiary Education in Warrnambool, Local National Trust, Good Neighbour Council, Housing Commission Advisory Board, United Services Institute, Legion of Ex-Servicemen, Olympic Pool Committee, Food for Britain Organisation, Warrnambool Hospital, Anti-Cancer Council, Boys’ Club, Charitable Council, National Fitness Council and Air Raid Precautions Group. He was also a member of the Steam Preservation Society and derived much pleasure from a steam traction engine on his farm. He had an interest in people and the community He and his wife Gladys were both involved in the creation of Flagstaff Hill, including the layout of the gardens. After his death (28th March 1970) his family requested his practitioner’s plate, medical instruments and some personal belongings be displayed in the Port Medical Office surgery at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, and be called the “W. R. Angus Collection”.

Significance

The W.R. Angus Collection is significant for still being located at the site it is connected with, Doctor Angus being the last Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool. The collection of medical instruments and other equipment is culturally significant, being an historical example of medicine from late 19th to mid-20th century. Dr Angus assisted Dr Tom Ryan, a pioneer in the use of X-rays and in ocular surgery.

Inscriptions & Markings

maker's plate "MADE SPECIALLY / FOR / H B SILBERBERG & CO. / MELBOURNE"

Apron

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Apron full length white bib & lace trimming on top of bib. Left hand side pocket has been removed because stitching marks remain.

Apron

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Apron, ladies, machine made, cotton, Gathered waist, waist ties, small bodice with Brodery Anglais lace hand stitched onto it, neck ties. Would have been work for 'good' wear. C. 1900

Historical information

This apron was donated along with other well kept items of women's clothing. The clothing once belonged to members of a family who migrated from Faversham, Kent, England to Sydney, Australia in the late 19th - early 20th century and was passed down through the family. The items have been worn and have also been well cared for.

Apron

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Apron, ladies size, cotton, machine made. Bodice has hand made Brodery Anglais lace trim and neck ties, skirt has gathered waist and ties, 3 pin ticks around hemline. Would have been worn for 'best' wear. C. 1900

Historical information

This apron was donated along with other well kept items of women's clothing. The clothing once belonged to members of a family who migrated from Faversham, Kent, England to Sydney, Australia in the late 19th - early 20th century and was passed down through the family. The items have been worn and have also been well cared for.

Apron

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Apron, ladies size, plain, heavy cotton. Full length apron with bodice with straps to tie around neck. Button closure at waist, skirt has five panels. Pocket on wearer's right side, inseeerted into seams. Similar aprons were made for use during war times, perhaps with Red Cross. early 1900's

Historical information

This apron was donated along with other well kept items of women's clothing. The clothing once belonged to members of a family who migrated from Faversham, Kent, England to Sydney, Australia in the late 19th - early 20th century and was passed down through the family. The items have been worn and have also been well cared for.

Apron

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Child's white batiste apron. Hand sewn, open back, ties to close, sleeveless, pintuck and lace bodice, lace insert border above hem. Circa 1911. Worn by Robert Barnard son of Mrs W N Barnard of Portland.

Historical information

This child's white batiste apron was worn by Robert Barnard, son of Mrs W N Barnard of Portland, when he was a young child, circa 1911.

Significance

This child's apron is representative of ladies fashion of the 1910s.

Apron

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Child's white batiste apron. Hand sewn, inserted front panel, ties to fasten, open back, sleeveless, ruffled hem. Circa 1912. Worn by Robert Barnard son of Mrs W N Barnard of Portland.

Historical information

This child's white batiste apron was worn by Robert Barnard, son of Mrs W N Barnard of Portland, when he was a young child, circa 1912.

Significance

This child's apron is representative of ladies fashion of the 1910s.

0ar

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Large Oar, wooden, white painted blade with brass capping painted white, restored, large piece missing from blade and two pieces of copper wire repairing a split in the blade. 414.7cm x 13.5 x 5.5cm.

Archimedean drill

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Archimedean drill with Rosewood hand, brass grip and fittings

Historical information

The Archimedes drill, also known as a fretwork drill, is an old type of drill which works on the Archimedian principle; the drill rotates quickly as the barrel on the stem is worked up and down. This tool provides a quick and easy way to bore holes through ordinary fret wood and other substances, smaller versions are used in jewellery making where precision drilling is required. There were numerous different sized Archimedes drills made from various materials, usually a combination of wood and steel, some being all steel and some including brass parts. The fancier versions of these drills included parts made from Rosewood, Ebony, Ivory and decorative brass parts. Some of the later Archimedes drills had technological improvements such as a ratchet device and the inclusion of fly-weights. The ratchet device allows the drill to revolve continuously in the cutting direction. The fly-weights give momentum to maintain the speed of the drill during the upward stroke of the hand. Most old examples have no makers names.

Significance

A vintage drilling tool, the item therefore could have been used in various industries or professions where precise drilling is required.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Arm Bands

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Arm bands (3)-life boat, red flannel material with black cotton backing. Has white cotton stitching e.g. "LS8RC". Others have digit 13 and 1

Arm Bands

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Net lace lady's arm bands.

Armchair

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Leather covered four-legged armchair, with rounded legs in front, four castors, head support and rounded arms. Tacked upholstery (with crocodile skin effect)

A set comprising Cup, Saucer, and two plates.

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Cup, royal blue outer white inside with gold lip and handle. Saucer and plates royal blue on all surfaces with gold trim to edges.

Historical information

History/Context: This cup, saucer and plates are part of a tea set. It was given by Eva Carmichael, a survivor of the ship Loch Ard which was wrecked near Port Campbell in 1878, to Jane Shields, the young woman who supported her while she was recovering from her ordeal at Glenample homestead at Princetown. Ms Shields was Eva’s close companion while she was convalescing at Glenample Homestead and the two women remained friends after Eva Carmichael returned to her home in Britain and was married. Jane Shields also married and it was when her daughter visited Eva in England that she was given the tea set to take back home to her mother. Jane died in 1932 and Eva died in 1934 and the tea set was inherited by Jane’s daughters. History of the Loch Ard: The Loch Ard got its name from ”Loch Ard” a loch which lies to the west of Aberfoyle, and the east of Loch Lomond. It means "high lake" in Scottish Gaelic. The vessel belonged to the famous Loch Line which sailed many vessels from England to Australia. The Loch Ard was built in Glasgow by Barclay, Curdle and Co. in 1873, the vessel was a three-masted square-rigged iron sailing ship that measured 79.87 meters in length, 11.58 m in width, and 7 m in depth with a gross tonnage of 1693 tons with a mainmast that measured a massive 45.7 m in height. Loch Ard made three trips to Australia and one trip to Calcutta before its fateful voyage. Loch Ard left England on March 2, 1878, under the command of 29-year-old Captain Gibbs, who was newly married. The ship was bound for Melbourne with a crew of 37, plus 17 passengers. The general cargo reflected the affluence of Melbourne at the time. Onboard were straw hats, umbrella, perfumes, clay pipes, pianos, clocks, confectionery, linen and candles, as well as a heavier load of railway irons, cement, lead and copper. There were other items included that were intended for display in the Melbourne International Exhibition of 1880. The voyage to Port Phillip was long but uneventful. Then at 3 am on June 1, 1878, Captain Gibbs was expecting to see land. But the Loch Ard was running into a fog which greatly reduced visibility. Captain Gibbs was becoming anxious as there was no sign of land or the Cape Otway lighthouse. At 4 am the fog lifted and a lookout aloft announced that he could see breakers. The sheer cliffs of Victoria's west coast came into view, and Captain Gibbs realised that the ship was much closer to them than expected. He ordered as much sail to be set as time would permit and then attempted to steer the vessel out to sea. On coming head-on into the wind, the ship lost momentum, the sails fell limp and Loch Ard's bow swung back towards land. Gibbs then ordered the anchors to be released in an attempt to hold its position. The anchors sank some 50 fathoms - but did not hold. By this time the ship was among the breakers and the tall cliffs of Mutton Bird Island rose behind. Just half a mile from the coast, the ship's bow was suddenly pulled around by the anchor. The captain tried to tack out to sea, but the ship struck a reef at the base of Mutton Bird Island, near Port Campbell. Waves subsequently broke over the ship and the top deck became loosened from the hull. The masts and rigging came crashing down knocking passengers and crew overboard. When a lifeboat was finally launched, it crashed into the side of Loch Ard and capsized. Tom Pearce, who had launched the boat, managed to cling to its overturned hull and shelter beneath it. He drifted out to sea and then on the flood tide came into what is now known as Lochard Gorge. He swam to shore, bruised and dazed, and found a cave in which to shelter. Some of the crew stayed below deck to shelter from the falling rigging but drowned when the ship slipped off the reef into deeper water. Eva Carmichael a passenger had raced onto the deck to find out what was happening only to be confronted by towering cliffs looming above the stricken ship. In all the chaos, Captain Gibbs grabbed Eva and said, "If you are saved Eva, let my dear wife know that I died like a sailor". That was the last Eva Carmichael saw of the captain. She was swept off the ship by a huge wave. Eva saw Tom Pearce on a small rocky beach and yelled to attract his attention. He dived in and swam to the exhausted woman and dragged her to shore. He took her to the cave and broke the open case of brandy which had washed up on the beach. He opened a bottle to revive the unconscious woman. A few hours later Tom scaled a cliff in search of help. He followed hoof prints and came by chance upon two men from nearby Glenample Station three and a half miles away. In a complete state of exhaustion, he told the men of the tragedy. Tom then returned to the gorge while the two men rode back to the station to get help. By the time they reached Loch Ard Gorge, it was cold and dark. The two shipwreck survivors were taken to Glenample Station to recover. Eva stayed at the station for six weeks before returning to Ireland by steamship. In Melbourne, Tom Pearce received a hero's welcome. He was presented with the first gold medal of the Royal Humane Society of Victoria and a £1000 cheque from the Victorian Government. Concerts were performed to honour the young man's bravery and to raise money for those who lost family in the disaster. Of the 54 crew members and passengers on board, only two survived: the apprentice, Tom Pearce and the young woman passenger, Eva Carmichael, who lost her family in the tragedy. Ten days after the Lochard tragedy, salvage rights to the wreck were sold at auction for £2,120. Cargo valued at £3,000 was salvaged and placed on the beach, but most washed back into the sea when another storm developed. The wreck of Lochard still lies at the base of Mutton Bird Island. Much of the cargo has now been salvaged and some items were washed up into Lochard Gorge. Cargo and artefacts have also been illegally salvaged over many years before protective legislation was introduced in March 1982. One of the most unlikely pieces of cargo to have survived the shipwreck was a Minton majolica peacock- one of only nine in the world. The peacock was destined for the Melbourne 1880 International Exhibition in. It had been well packed, which gave it adequate protection during the violent storm. Today the Minton peacock can be seen at the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum in Warrnambool. From Australia's most dramatic shipwreck it has now become Australia's most valuable shipwreck artifact and is one of very few 'objects' on the Victorian State Heritage Register.

Significance

These items (cup, saucer and two plates) are of high significance as they are closely connected to the wreck of the Loch Ard, and one of the two survivors, Eva Carmichael. Memorabilia connected to Eva Carmichael are precious and rare. The shipwreck of the Loch Ard itself is of significance for Victoria and is registered on the Victorian Heritage Register ( S 417). Flagstaff Hill has a varied collection of artefacts from Loch Ard and its collection is significant for being one of the largest accumulation of artefacts from this notable Victorian shipwreck. The collections object is to also give us a snapshot into history so we can interpret the story of this tragic event and the lives of the people involved. The collection is also archaeologically significant as it represents aspects of Victoria's shipping history that allows us to interpret Victoria's social and historical themes of the time. The collections historically significance is that it is associated unfortunately with the worst and best-known shipwreck in Victoria's history.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Ash Tray

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Ash tray, rectanglar, moulded glass with coloured photo of Blue Lake, Mount Gambier on base. Donated by Mrs G Angus, 309B Koroit St, W'bool 27 Feb 1979.

Ash tray

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Ash tray-large rectangular floor. Made from a wooden box covered with textured metal and relief design. Has "smokers" across top of back. "Town Hall" printed on bottom.

Ash tray

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Ash tray-large rectangular floor. Made from a wooden box covered with textured metal and relief design. Has "smokers" across top of back. "Town Hall" printed on bottom.

Aspirator

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Aspiration equipment with syringe, needles and fittings, packed in a lined black rectangular case.13 instruments, number 9 missing

Auger

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Ring Auger, Double Twist with Lead Screw. Square shaft with chamfered edges, Bit 2" 630mm L .

Auger

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Ring Auger, Double Twist with Lead Screw. 750 mm long, bit size 1 ?

Historical information

G Pert toolbox

Auger

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Ring Auger, Double Twist with Lead Screw, bit �" length 585mm

Auger

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, Warrnambool

Ring Auger, Double Twist with Lead Screw, �" bit, 580mm long, with shaped wooden handle.