Photocopies of old photos from John McPhee of Conron Grange, Whittlesea.
Conron Grange was established by Robert and Mary Ann Armstrong in 1855 as part of the Wills Estate, they were tenant farmers to Wills, Mary Ann named the first house Conron Grange meaning "Pretty place with full barns". Robert was killed falling from a horse in 1863 leaving Mary-Ann with children aged 7, 5, 3, 2, and a baby aged 8 weeks. Mary Ann married James Johnston in 1867.
Conron Grange remained in the Johnston family until 1938 when John McPhee's parents bought it, it then remained in the McPhee name until John sold it in 2003.
Whittlesea Pioneer families, James Coulthard, and Charles W. Andrew
Photocopy of two newspaper clippings, both clippings on the one page, glossy paper, A4 page, (9 of 20)
At Whittlesea Show on Saturday, Mr. J. Coulthard, 93, who has been living in the district for 70 years; and Mr. C. W. Andrew, 73 (right).
Handwritten on the page: 1933.
Typed note on the rear, Charles Andrew and Joe Coulthard / James Coulthard and Charles Andrew / Joe is James's son top photo 15 years later.
Top photo: Charles Andrew (left) and Joe Coulthard (right)
Bottom photo: James Coulthard (left) and Charles Andrew (right)
john mcphee, conron grange, whittlesea, mary ann armstrong, james johnston, wills estate, farming, charles andrew, andrew family, andrews family, charles w andrew, james coulthard, joe coulthard, whittlesea pioneers, whittlesea show, horse