Historical information

Photocopies of old photos from John McPhee of Conron Grange, Whittlesea.

Conron Grange was established by Robert and Mary Ann Armstrong in 1855 as part of the Wills Estate, they were tenant farmers to Wills, Mary Ann named the first house Conron Grange meaning "Pretty place with full barns". Robert was killed falling from a horse in 1863 leaving Mary-Ann with children aged 7, 5, 3, 2, and a baby aged 8 weeks. Mary Ann married James Johnston in 1867.

Conron Grange remained in the Johnston family until 1938 when John McPhee's parents bought it, it then remained in the McPhee name until John sold it in 2003.


Whittlesea Pioneer families, Coulthard and Andrew

Physical description

Photocopy of black and white photograph, gloss paper, A4 page, (11 of 20)

Inscriptions & markings

Front of photo inscribed: Whittlesea Show Day / James Colthard (sic) Charles Andrew.
Typed note attached to the rear: James Coulthard and Charles Andrew / Leading the Tramways Band from the rail station to the Showgrounds.