Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Puffing Billy Railway Menzies Creek, Victoria

The Puffing Billy Railway Collection focuses on narrow gauge railway history and associated industry equipment / artifacts primarily from Victoria but extending to the greater Australasia region collected by the PBPS and ETRB

Links

Contact Information

location
1 Old Monbulk Road Belgrave Victoria 3160 (map)
phone
+61 61 3 9757 0700

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Location

School Rd Menzies Creek Victoria

View on Google Maps

Narrow gauge railway history and associated industry equipment / artifacts primarily from Victoria but extending to the greater Australasia region.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

344 items with images

Carriage Sign - Puffing Billy Museum Advertising

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Carriage Sign - Puffing Billy Museum Advertising metal sign

Historical information

Carriage Sign - Puffing Billy Museum Advertising This board was used to advertise the Menzies Creek Museum after it opened in 1970. This particular sign was displayed inside, on the end of the Puffing Billy NBH type carriages.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - Carriage Sign - Puffing Billy Museum Advertising fitted to NBH carriages.

Inscriptions & Markings

Visit the Puffing Billy Steam Museum you can see - Steam Locomotives - Working Exhibits - Early Rolling Stock - Souvenirs available the museum is located at Menzies Creek & opens every Sunday 11am to 5pm

15 NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

15 NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car made of wrought iron and timber

Historical information

15NBH - Excursion Car Body built by Puffing Billy Preservation Society 1976. NBH - SECOND CLASS EXCURSION CAR. The H was recognising their use for "Holiday" traffic. Originally 15 of these cars were built in 1919 and numbered 1-15. Four were broken up prior to 1962, and replaced with new vehicles in 1975-76. Two more were built in 1981, and numbered 16 & 17. Two extended versions for wheelchair passengers were built in 1981 & 1983. These were numbered 51 & 52 - a separate number series due to the different type of vehicle. Six, numbered 18-23, were built in 1997-98. These had steel frames, padded seats, and a wide "window sill". At first glance they look the same as the previous NBHs. There are other minor construction differences due to the use of steel framing. 18NBH entered traffic 19/4/1997; 19NBH on 5/12/1997; 20NBH on 19/12/1997, the others added in 1998. VR Service History 8/12/1919 NWS Built new *NBH 15.VA - 8/12/1919 NWS Built new - / 3/1928 - Modified AC Malco BO circa 1955 - Condemned - 1/ 7/1962 - Scrapped. Replica body built by Puffing Billy Preservation Society 1976. Puffing Billy Service History or Notes 8 Dec 1919 - Nos 7 to 15 NBH (new) delivered to UPPER FERN TREE GULLY after this date.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Excursion Car

Inscriptions & Markings

15NBH

Leather Cash Bag - Kyneton

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Leather Cash Bag - Kyneton - small Leather Bag

Historical information

Leather Cash Bag - Kyneton Leather Cash Bag – Kyneton Inscriptions & Markings Kyneton Used for transporting money and other valuable items between a location and Kyneton

Significance

Historic - Leather Cash Bag from Kyneton station

Inscriptions & Markings

Kyneton

17 NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

17 NBH Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car made of wrought iron and timber

Historical information

17NBH - Excursion Car (28) VR Service History built in 1981, (16 & 17). Puffing Billy Service History or Notes April 2016 - New doors being prepared July 2016 - In for repairs and repaint Aug 2016 - In for repairs and repaint Sept 2016 - In for repairs and repaint.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Excursion Car

Inscriptions & Markings

17NBH

Warning Lamp - Appletons Patent Railway

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Appletons Patent Railway Warning Lamp made of tin & metal and glass

Historical information

Appletons Patent Railway Warning Lamp with Sherwood Style burner Used by Gangers during track work at night Appletons was an early pioneer of railway lamp signal lamp Alfred Edward Appleton invented and patented the Spinner Railway signal lamp in England in 1897. Appleton lamps were patented and manufactured by Alfred Edward Appleton at a factory in Sherwood during the early 1920's to late 50's and widely used throughout Queensland Railways. Alfred Edward Appleton's father was a railway pointsman and porter on the Great Western Railway in Tewkesbury England

Significance

Historic - Early Hand signalling Lantern

Inscriptions & Markings

Appletons Patent

Explosives Wagon

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Wagon for carrying explosives made from Timber and steel

Historical information

This 2 foot 6 inch (762mm) gauge wagon was used for carrying explosives and was used with the Greenbat Battery loco. It was donated to the Walhalla Goldfields Railway on long term loan in 2013 along with a large quantity of narrow gauge trollies and light rail from Orica’s now closed munitions factory in Melbourne’s western suburbs. Orica - Deer Park Munitions factory Orica Deer Park in Melbourne’s west has been used since circa 1875 for various forms of manufacturing and storage of chemicals. Although the site is bounded by Ballarat Road, Station Street, Tilburn Road and the Western Ring Road, the current entry point for industrial operations is situated at Gate 6 of Tilburn Road. Operations include: • a specialty chemicals facility producing products for mining services operations • quarry services • other chemical manufacture activities. The Deer Park factory complex The factory complex is of historical significance for the major role it played in Australia's manufacturing and mining industries through the development of progressively more efficient and safer explosives. It also contributed to wartime production in ammunition, initiators and the development of synthetic ammonia production and construction of the Defence Explosives Annexe No 5 (later the Albion Explosives Factory) during World War Two. The factory complex is also of technical significance for the unusual and specialised design of many of the buildings and structures, both in the layout of the works and the individual design of buildings. Blast protection and safety measures such as mounds around the buildings, 'cleanways' and buffer zones between production areas were employed extensively. A characteristic of many production buildings was the elimination of cavities where explosive compounds could lodge. The combination of concrete barriers and light-weight construction was designed to direct explosion debris away from operators or other buildings. The narrow gauge tramway, which ran through the explosives section, is a rare survivor of nineteenth century materials-handling methods.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow Gauge Railway - Wagon for carrying Explosives at the Orica - Deer Park Munitions factory, Deer park, Victoria, Australia

Timber bogies - Tyers Valley Timber Bogies 2'6" gauge

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Timber Bogies - Made of Wood and steel and wrought iron

Historical information

Built by the Forests Commission of Victoria for the timber haulage on the Tyers Valley Tramway near Erica.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow Gauge Railway - Timber working - Timber Bogies used by Forests Commission of Victoria for the timber haulage on the Tyers Valley Tramway near Erica

Portable Compound Steam Engine - Marshall & Son's - Builders Number 48317

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Marshall & Son's Portable Compound Engine - Builders Number 48317 made of steel

Historical information

Portable Compound Engine - Marshall & Son's. Builders Number 48317 Built by Marshall Sons & Co., Ltd., Gainsborough, England (Builder’s Number 48317 of approximately 1908/1909), to the order of Robison Brothers, Engineers, South Melbourne. It was used for operating a pump to supply irrigation water at Robinvale in Northern Victoria. Robison Bros & Co. P/L was founded by James McFarlane Robison and his brothers in 1854, initially as plumbers and coppersmiths, the firm expanded into general engineering, boiler-making and brass, iron and steel founders and became one of Melbourne's most important engineering firms. They constructed railway bridges, gold mining equipment, railway locomotives, pumping stations, brewing vessels, abattoir machinery, amongst much else and including the first turnstiles at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. A portable engine is either a steam engine or an internal combustion engine, that remains in one place while operating (providing power to machinery), and can be easily moved from one work site to another. Mounted on wheels or sometimes skids, it is required to be towed between work sites.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Portable Compound Engine - steam engine - Marshall & Son's.

Inscriptions & Markings

Marshall & Son's. Builders Number 48317

Leather belt splicer - Leather splicer

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Leather belt splicer - Leather splicer made of Timber base with a steel wedge and leather lead in

Historical information

Leather Splitter Used for splicing leather drive belts

Significance

Historic - Leather working Equipment - Leather Splitter

Head Board - Peter Peckett Head Board

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Red painted wood with gold Leaf and black vinyl stickers.

Historical information

Head Board - Peter Peckett in use from 1992. Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Locomotive Head Board used in the Celebration of Special Children's train days used along side the Wooden Train Headboard - Peter - face used on special Children's trains hauled by former Gas Works locomotive Sir John Grice - alias Peter Peckett.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Locomotive Head Board used in the Celebration of Special Children's train days

Inscriptions & Markings

Peter Peckett

Carriage Sign - Coca-Cola Advertising

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Carriage Sign - Coca-Cola Advertising metal painted sign

Historical information

Carriage Sign - Coca-Cola Advertising This board was used to advertise the Coca Cola drink. This particular sign was displayed inside, on the end of the Puffing Billy NBH type carriages.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - Carriage Sign - Coca-Cola Advertising fitted to NBH carriages.

Inscriptions & Markings

The Pause that Refreshes Drink Coca-Cola Sign of Good Taste

Light - Rail Bender

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Light Rail Bender made of cast wrought iron

Historical information

Light Rail Bender no 2 Most rails are produced straight. They may appear to be easy to bend and may appear flexible, but are required to be bent for some curves, at rail joins on curves and at point (turn-out) junctions. For a safe transition around curves and in the finer areas of the point, this was required to be done with a manual rail bender. Sometimes referred to as a Buddah, the rail bender attaches its two claws to the rail. In the middle of the two claws is a screw that is slowly tightened using a crow-bar to bend the rail. Tightening the screw too fast or too tightly may not give the structure of the rail time to redistribute and the rail may break if not done properly.

Significance

Historic - Railway Permanent Way and Works - track equipment - Light Rail Bender

Platform Luggage Trolley - Station Porters - two smaller unpainted ones

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Station Porters platform Luggage Trolley - two smaller unpainted ones - made of wood and wrought iron

Historical information

Station Porters platform Luggage Trolley - two smaller unpainted ones

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Station Porters platform Luggage Trolley

Station Sign - Yea

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Station Sign - Yea Metal rectangle Station Name Sign with white enamel back ground and black letters

Historical information

Station Sign - Yea Yea Station Opened 16 November 1883 Closed 8 November 1978 Yea is a former railway station in Yea, Victoria, Australia. The tracks have been removed and the reserve has been turned into The Yea Railway Park consisting of the historic railway station and eleven acres of parkland. It has a picnic shelter, barbecue, toilets, playground, skatepark, walking track, community reserve and includes Rotary Park. The station building houses Blackthorn Textiles (a privately run craft shop). Also on the site are the former goods sheds which are available for hire for varied functions. The Yea Country Market is held in the park on the first Saturday of each month and local artists hold an exhibition and sale in the goods sheds each Easter. The site is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yea_railway_station photo at http://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/vhd-images/places/000/078/092.jpg

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Station sign used at Yea Station

Inscriptions & Markings

Yea

92 NQR - Open Medium Truck with drop ends

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

92NQR - Open Medium Truck with drop ends made of Steel and metal

Historical information

The NQRs were the standard Medium open goods wagon. Generally the sides and ends were removable thus providing a totally flat truck. Three long drop-down doors formed the sides thus allowing easy loading and unloading. 218 of these goods vehicles were built between 1898 and 1914 ? numbered 1 - 218​. Originally, these wagons carried the code letter R​ as they were built with sides and ends. They later had the R removed. Unlike the Broad Gauge, VR's 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) narrow gauge network never had four-wheeled wagons (aside from a handful of trolleys). Because of this, a single design of open wagon emerged and this was the only type of wagon ever used on these lines. This was the NQR class, a wagon with the same length and loading capacity as a Broad Gauge four-wheeled open wagon to make transferring freight between the gauges easier. The wagons, numbered 1 through 218, were built between 1898 and 1914. The wagons used the same underframe as most other non-locomotives on the VR Narrow Gauge. Letters and numbers were originally painted only on the end bulkheads and doors, both of which could be removed as traffic dictated, and this made wagon identification difficult until the decals were transferred to the underframes of each wagon In the 1910s some NQRs were provided with removable wood and steel frameworks with canvas roof canopies and side curtains, and internal seating to supplement the rest of the passenger stock during busy holiday periods. Puffing Billy has re-created these for emergency capacity. Five more NQRs, numbered 219-223​, were built between 1990 and 1992 initially for passenger use so were fitted with the removable frames In the 1960s the Puffing Billy Railway added grids in the floor of some to enable them to be used to drop ballast on the track where needed. Vehicle Length 25 feet 2 inches ( 7671 mm) Coupled Length 27 feet 4 inches (8330 mm) Width 6 feet 3 inches (1905 mm) Weight 5 tons Capacity 11 tons Built 1898 - 1915 (1992) Number Built 218 (223) In use 14 To be restored 6 92NQR - Goods Vehicle - Open Medium Truck NQ/NQR OPEN MEDIUM TRUCKS. 218 of these goods vehicles were built between 1898 and 1914 numbered 1-218. Originally, these wagons carried the code letter R as they were built with sides and ends. Some later had the R removed if they regularly ran as flat wagons without theh sides and ends. Over the years, a number of NQRs were provided with removable wood and steel frameworks with canvas roof canopies and side curtains, and internal seating to supplement the rest of the passenger stock during busy holiday periods. Puffing Billy has re-created these for emergency capacity. Five more NQRs, numbered 219-223, were built between 1990 and 1992 initially for passenger use so were fitted with the removable frames. 92 NQR VR Service History : *NQR 92.VA - 2/ 3/1907 NWS Built new - / /1926 - To NQ 92.VA -

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock - NQR Open Medium Truck with drop ends Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H2187 The Puffing Billy Rolling Stock Collection

Inscriptions & Markings

92NQR

2 NC - Brake Van (4 ton capacity)

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Brake Van (4 ton capacity) made of Timber and wrought iron

Historical information

NC Van The NC guard's vans were originally classed NDD. In the 1910 reclassification they were classified NC. Apart from the windows and height they were externally the same as the NBC vans. Inside there were benches along both side walls. One end was equipped with a small guard's compartment. This had two corner seats, two desks with ticket selling windows and a letter rack. A novel feature was a folding dog cage under one of the benches. Six NC Brake Van / Guards Vans were built by Victorian Railways 1 NC was built in 1909 as NDD and reclassed 1NC in 1910. 2 NC was built and placed into service Nov 1912 3 NC , 4 NC and 5 NC were built and placed into service June / July 1914 6 NC was Built and placed into service in 1919 1 NC, 4 NC and 6 NC were all scrapped by Victorian Railways between 1954 and 1957 2NC - Brake Van (4 ton capacity) VR Service History 26/11/1912 NWS Built new 2 NC *NC 2.VA - 26/11/1912 NWS Built new - circa 1926 - Modified AC Malco BO 6/ 7/1932 NWS Into Workshops - 5/ 8/1932 NWS Out of Workshops (31 days) 2/10/1937 NWS Into Workshops - 3/12/1937 NWS Out of Workshops (63 days) 25/ 1/1945 NWS Into Workshops - 23/ 2/1945 NWS Out of Workshops (30 days) Dec 2016 - Puffing Billy Rollling Stock register Puffing Billy Service History or Notes 21 Oct 1995 - Loco 7A and 2 NC collides with trolleys NK 3, Jenny, & NG 1 on the SELBY side of the MONBULK CREEK trestle bridge.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock - NC Brake Van

Inscriptions & Markings

2NC

22 NBHC - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car for wheelchairs and Guard's Van

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

22 NBHC - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car - specially modified for Wheelchair access allowing it to carry wheelchairs and to have a Guard's Van compartment. made of wrought iron and timber

Historical information

22 NBHC - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car - specially modified for Wheelchair access allowing it to carry for wheelchairs and Guard's Van Puffing Billy Service History or Notes Between 1979 and 1988 the Puffing Billy railway built six more NBHs, numbered 18-23. These had steel frames, padded seats, and a wide "window sill". At first glance they look the same as the previous NBHs. There are other minor construction differences due to the use of steel framing. 22NBH entered traffic in 1998. Currently these six steel framed NBHs (numbers 18-23) are being modified to provide double doors and space for wheel chairs at one end. The photo on the right shows the exterior of one such NBH. These have a seating capacity of 24 passengers. Oct 2009 - Rebuild continues. Aug 2016 - 22NBC Wheel flats removed Sept 2016 - 22NBC Wheel flats removed

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Excursion Car 22 NBH which has been converted by the addition of a Guard's Van compartment and modified for Wheelchairs access by Puffing Billy Railway and re classed & numbered 22NBHC

Inscriptions & Markings

22NBHC

Locomotive Head Board - 50th Anniversary Opening to Emerald

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Locomotive Head Board - 50th Anniversary Opening to Emerald Circular steel sheet with vinyl stickers.

Historical information

Locomotive Head Board - 50th Anniversary Opening to Emerald used on 6A locomotive To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the re-opening to Emerald, a special train was run from Belgrave carrying distinguished members of the Puffing Billy Preserv ation Society. At Emerald a special event was held in the local RSL, which in addition to celebrating the re-opening also acknowledged the 60th anniversary of the formation of the Puffing Billy Preservation Society, and was used to launch "Saving Puffing Billy, Volume 1" - a beautifully composed book documenting the first ten years of the society's history.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Locomotive Head Board used on 6A for the Celebrating 50 years of trains running to emerald since the railway was closed.

Inscriptions & Markings

50th Anniversary 1965 - 2015 Opening to Emerald

7 NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

7 NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car made of wrought iron and timber

Historical information

7NBH - Excursion Car 8/12/1919 NWS Built new NBH SECOND-CLASS EXCURSION CAR. The H was recognising their use for "Holiday" traffic. 15 of these cars were built in 1919 and numbered 1-15. Two more were built in 1981, and numbered 16 & 17. Two extended versions for wheelchair passengers were built in 1981 & 1983. These were numbered 51 & 52 - a separate number series due to the different type of vehicle. Six, numbered 18-23, were built in 1997-98. These had steel frames, padded seats, and a wide "window sill". At first glance they look the same as the previous NBHs. There are other minor construction differences due to the use of steel framing. 18NBH entered traffic 19/4/1997; 19NBH on 5/12/1997; 20NBH on 19/12/1997, the others added in 1998. VR Service History *NBH 7.VA - 8/12/1919 NWS Built new - / 1/1929 - Modified AC Malco BO circa 1955 - Condemned - Puffing Billy Service History or Notes 8 Dec 1919 - Nos 7 to 15 NBH (new) delivered to UPPER FERN TREE GULLY after this date. Oct 2009 - Lifted. Mar 2013 - Lift

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Excursion Car

Inscriptions & Markings

7NBH

Destination Disc - Train Destination Disc

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Train Destination Disc Round tin sign painted white with a black cross on white background and a mounting bracket on the rear. Placed on the front of trains prior to the mid 1970s to advise a Signalman in the Signal Box the destination of the train.

Historical information

Train Destination Disc Until the 1980s Melbourne suburban trains used a system of discs by day, and illuminated market lights by night, to indicate their destination. Placed on the front of trains to advise a Signalman in the Signal Box the destination of the train. This disk was used on NK1 the Whitfield Motor when it was used by Puffing Billy Railway Info from the diagrams from the 1953 Victorian Railways General Appendix. Black + is Lilydale, Belgrave other Destination Disks were Disks Williamstown Black II Newport Workshops Red = Changed in 76 to Black + Newport-Altona shuttle Red X Werribee Red X St Albans Black X Upfield Black = Broadmeadows Originally Red X changed in 1976 to Red = Epping Black II Hurstbridge Red X Lilydale, Belgrave Black + Alamein Black X Glen Waverley Black = Dandenong Black II Frankston Red = Sandringham Red X St Kilda Originally Black II changed in 1976 to Red X Port Melbourne Red X changed in 1976 to Black X Flinders St - Spencer St Local Red II Showgrounds Red = plus extra white disk on opposite front disk bracket; if only one event, Display Large White 1 and yellow side disk with set number. If two events, second event special trains flip this disk and show large Black Disk with white numeral 2 Race Special Red = plus extra white disk on opposite front disk bracket; if only one event, Display Large White 1 and yellow side disk with set number. If two events, second event special trains flip this disk and show large Black Disk with white numeral 2 For example, Flemington Race trains and Caulfield Race trains on the same day. Flemington carries Red = and White 1 and yellow set number on the side Caulfield carries Red = and Black 2 with yellow set number disc on the side. There was one disc which was never to be used in normal traffic, that was the "Red Cross"; it was reserved for Red Cross trains only.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Destination Disk - Black cross - Lilydale, Belgrave Lines This disk was used on NK1 the Whitfield Motor when it was used by Puffing Billy Railway

Inscriptions & Markings

Black Cross

Rail Saw - Hand Operated

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Hand Operated Rail Saw made of cast metal

Historical information

Hand Operated Rail Saw Out on the track in the old days, it was sometimes required to cut a piece of railway track. Before the use of generators and oxy cutting, the only way to do this was with a hand saw. This is the machine operated by two people, that would cut a piece of rail in half. And when the rail was cut, it was usually required to join it to another rail which required putting in 4 to 6 holes in the rail with a Hand Operated drill.

Significance

Historic - Railways Permanent Way and Works - track equipment - Hand Operated Rail Saw

Freight Vehicle Door Stop

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Wooden Freight Vehicle Door Stop

Historical information

Freight Vehicle Door Stop - one would be placed at the top of a door and another at the bottom of the door to hold the door open

Significance

Historic - Railway - Freight Vehicle Door Stop

Carriage Sign - Coca-Cola Advertising

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Carriage Sign - Coca-Cola Advertising metal painted sign

Historical information

Carriage Sign - Coca-Cola Advertising This board was used to advertise the Coca Cola drink. This particular sign was displayed inside, on the end of the Puffing Billy NBH type carriages.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - Carriage Sign - Coca-Cola Advertising fitted to NBH carriages.

Inscriptions & Markings

Enjoy the quality taste Drink Coca-cola ice cold

Light Rail Bender

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Light Rail Bender made out of cast wrought iron

Historical information

Light Rail Bender Most rails are produced straight. While they to easily bend and appear flexible, they are required to bend for some curves, at rail joins on curves and at point (turn-out) junctions. For a safe transition around curves and in the finer areas of the point, this use to be done with a manual rail bender. Sometimes referred to as a Buddah, the rail bender attaches its two claws to the rail. In the middle of the two claws is a screw that is slowly tightened using a crow-bar to bend the rail. Tightening the screw too fast or too tightly may not give the structure of the rail time to redistribute and the rail may break if not done properly.

Significance

Historic - Railways Permanent Way and Works - track equipment - Light Rail Bender

186 NQR - Open Medium Truck converted to Excursion Car

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

186 NQR - Open Medium Truck converted to Excursion Car with seats made of Steel and metal

Historical information

NQ/NQR OPEN MEDIUM TRUCKS. 218 of these goods vehicles were built between 1898 and 1914 numbered 1-218. Originally, these wagons carried the code letter R as they were built with sides and ends. Over the years, a number of NQRs were provided with removable wood and steel frameworks with canvas roof canopies and side curtains, and internal seating to supplement the rest of the passenger stock during busy holiday periods. Puffing Billy has re-created these for emergency capacity. Five more NQRs, numbered 219-223, were built between 1990 and 1992 initially for passenger use so were fitted with the removable frames. Vehicle Length 25 feet 2 inches ( 7671 mm) Coupled Length 27 feet 4 inches (8330 mm) Width 6 feet 3 inches (1905 mm) Weight 5 tons Capacity 11 tons Built 1898 - 1915 (1992) Number Built 218 (223) In use 14 To be restored 6 186 NQR - Open Medium Truck converted to Excursion Car VR Service History 20/11/1912 NWS Built new *NQR 186.VA - 20/11/1912 NWS Built new - / /1926 - To NQ 186.VA - NQ 186.VA - 15/12/1954 - Scrapped - circa 1975 BEL To NQR 186.PA [v] NQR 186.PA - 26/ 8/1976 CLS Photograph #662.43-.1: and end detail Puffing Billy Service History or Notes Nov 2016 - Lifted Feb 2017 - Wheel flats

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock - Open Medium Truck converted to Excursion Car with seats

Inscriptions & Markings

186NQR

Oil Engine - Blackstones Oil Engine

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Blackstone 8HP Oil Engine made from steel, wrought iron and brass

Historical information

8HP Blackstone Lamps Start Oil Engine engine number 71076 Engine Details Maximum operating RPM of 240. Fitted with a 3'9" Flywheel Tested on the 6th of November 1908. Shipped to Cluter buck South Australia for installation on concrete base. Recovered and restored during the 80's in South Australia Purchased privately in 2013 in Tailem Bend South Australia and transported to Victoria. Currently on loan to the Puffing Billy Museum at Menzies Creek as an operating exhibit. Blackstone & Co. was a farm implement maker at Stamford, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom. In 1896 they built lamp start oil engines. The Lamp or hot-bulb engine (also hotbulb or heavy-oil engine) is a type of internal combustion engine. It is an engine in which fuel is ignited by being brought into contact with a red-hot metal surface inside a bulb, followed by the introduction of air (oxygen) compressed into the hot-bulb chamber by the rising piston. There is some ignition when the fuel is introduced, but it quickly uses up the available oxygen in the bulb. Vigorous ignition takes place only when sufficient oxygen is supplied to the hot-bulb chamber on the compression stroke of the engine. Most hot-bulb engines were produced as one-cylinder, low-speed two-stroke crankcase scavenged units

Significance

Historic - Industrial - single cylinder, horizontal, 4 stroke, hot-bulb ignition oil engine

Inscriptions & Markings

Oval Plate with Black Stones and Clutter Buck Brass Plaque engine number 71076

NSWTD Railway Marker Oil lamp, No.1 RA

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

NSWTD Railway Marker lamp, No.1 RA made of metal and Glass Railway lamp, paraffin, metal/glass/fabric, used for attaching to railway rolling stock to mark the end of the train, made by the New South Wales Transport Department, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1870 - 1970 This lamp comprises a hollow cube of metal. One lens at the front transmits light from an interior light source. Fuel was either signal oil or kerosene. The burner inside the lamp used either cotton or felt wicks to create the light source. The lamp has a carry handle for carrying by hand and a bracket with a slot on the back for hanging onto the hook of a locomotive or item of rolling stock. It is marked "NSWTD" which stands for New South Wales Transport Department.

Historical information

NSWTD Railway Marker OIl lamp, No.1 RA Oil burning lamps have always been an important part of Australian railway signalling systems and have been used for communication, safety and lighting. It is called a marker lamp and was hung on rolling stock (carriages and wagons) such as the guard’s van to indicate the rear of the train at night. They were also used to indicate the rear of steam locomotive tenders for identification and safety purposes. This type of lamp was introduced to the railways around 1860 and continued to be used for over one hundred years. Oil lamps were phased out on the railways during the late 1960s and early 1970s, when they were replaced by battery lamps. Railway lighting included not only stations but yards, engines, rolling stock, signals, signal-boxes and crossings. There were a number of different types of lamps used for a variety of railway purposes.

Significance

Historic - New South Wales Transport Department.- Railway Marker Oil Lamp

Inscriptions & Markings

NSWTD 1 RA

Ticket Dater - Railway

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Railway Ticket Dater made of Steel and black inked ribbon

Historical information

Railway Ticket Dater Edmundson Ticket Dater, made in Britain. Complete with type. Circa 1920 THE TICKET DATING PRESS At the heart of the booking office is the ticket dating press. This is used to print or impress the date on the ticket so validating it for use. These machines were developed by the Edmondson Company in the 19th century and Waterlow also produced similar machines. Even the smallest station had one and larger stations often had dozens. The most common variety in the UK printed the date on the ticket by using printers' type and an inked ribbon. Another variety impressed the date of the ticket with special sharp type. This was specially useful in hot climates where the ink dried out very quickly and also had the advantage of avoiding the use of the ribbon and the need to re-wind and re-ink it.

Significance

Historic - Railways - Ticket Dater

Carriage Sign - Milk Advertising

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Carriage Sign - Milk Advertising Hand painted masonite carriage sign.

Historical information

Advertising fitted to NBH carriages.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - Carriage Sign - Milk Advertising fitted to NBH carriages.

Inscriptions & Markings

Hey Kids ! milk's a marvellous drink Drink plenty eveyday

Station Sign - Whitfield

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Station Sign - Whitfield large black wooden sign with white lettering

Historical information

Historic - Victorian Railways Station sign used at Whitfield Station Whitfield Station The terminus of the line. Whitfield was the most distant narrow gauge station from Melbourne Opened 1899 Closed 1953 Whitfield was the small terminus for the Whitfield railway line The station had a moderately long passenger platform, small goods yard, goods shed, ticket office and locomotive shed. Platforms 1 Tracks 3

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Station sign used at Whitfield Station

Inscriptions & Markings

Whitfield