Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Puffing Billy Railway Menzies Creek, Victoria

The Puffing Billy Railway Collection focuses on narrow gauge railway history and associated industry equipment / artifacts primarily from Victoria but extending to the greater Australasia region collected by the PBPS and ETRB

Links

Contact Information

location
1 Old Monbulk Road Belgrave Victoria 3160 (map)
phone
+61 61 3 9757 0700

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Location

School Rd Menzies Creek Victoria

View on Google Maps

Narrow gauge railway history and associated industry equipment / artifacts primarily from Victoria but extending to the greater Australasia region.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

344 items

? NB - Number not verified Passenger carriage

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Passenger Rolling Stock: ? NB - Passenger carriage - Made of Timber NB - 2nd Class swing door carriage - 5 compartments

Historical information

? NB - 6 compartments (40) VR Service History - unknown Puffing Billy Service History or Notes 2nd Class swing door carriage Rescued from Ocean Grove Victorian in Nov 2010 Nov 2010 Two carriages have been rescued from Ocean Grove where they had been built into a house. They are now at Emerald, one being a platform NB carriage and the other a swing door NB carriage. Storage of these vehicles is being considered. Many people were involved in the move: thanks go to Raymond and Thelma Cotter for providing tarps to protect the cars from the elements. Dec 2010 Two carriages rescued from Ocean Grove are now at Emerald, one being a platform NB car (6NB) and the other a 2nd Class swing door carriage. Minor refurbishment has taken place along with covering with Tarpaulins.

Significance

NB Class - Number Built (1st Series) 6 - Number Built (2nd Series) 17 - Number Built (3rd Series) 4 Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Passsenger carriage. 14 NB and this carriage (both of the 2nd Series) are the last known existing vehicles of this type out of the 17 built.

Inscriptions & Markings

number unknown ? NB

216 NQR - Open Medium Truck

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

216 NQR - Open Medium Truck made of Steel and metal

Historical information

The NQRs were the standard Medium open goods wagon. Generally the sides and ends were removable thus providing a totally flat truck. Three long drop-down doors formed the sides thus allowing easy loading and unloading. 218 of these goods vehicles were built between 1898 and 1914 ? numbered 1 - 218​. Originally, these wagons carried the code letter R​ as they were built with sides and ends. They later had the R removed. Unlike the Broad Gauge, VR's 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) narrow gauge network never had four-wheeled wagons (aside from a handful of trolleys). Because of this, a single design of open wagon emerged and this was the only type of wagon ever used on these lines. This was the NQR class, a wagon with the same length and loading capacity as a Broad Gauge four-wheeled open wagon to make transferring freight between the gauges easier. The wagons, numbered 1 through 218, were built between 1898 and 1914. The wagons used the same underframe as most other non-locomotives on the VR Narrow Gauge. Letters and numbers were originally painted only on the end bulkheads and doors, both of which could be removed as traffic dictated, and this made wagon identification difficult until the decals were transferred to the underframes of each wagon In the 1910s some NQRs were provided with removable wood and steel frameworks with canvas roof canopies and side curtains, and internal seating to supplement the rest of the passenger stock during busy holiday periods. Puffing Billy has re-created these for emergency capacity. Five more NQRs, numbered 219-223​, were built between 1990 and 1992 initially for passenger use so were fitted with the removable frames Vehicle Length 25 feet 2 inches ( 7671 mm) Coupled Length 27 feet 4 inches (8330 mm) Width 6 feet 3 inches (1905 mm) Weight 5 tons Capacity 11 tons Built 1898 - 1915 (1992) Number Built 218 (223) In use 14 To be restored 6 216 NQR - Open Medium Truck 15/ 1/1914 NWS Built new VR Service History *NQR 216.VA - 15/ 1/1914 NWS Built new - / /1926 - To NQ 216.VA - Puffing Billy Service History or Notes April 2016 - Trial fitting of brake rigging May 2016 - Riveting of the draw gear castings in progress July 2016 - Riveting of the draw gear castings in progress. Truss rods threaded ready for fitting Aug 2016 - Rivetting of the draw gear castings in progress. Draw gear and couplers being evaluated. Sept 2016 - Riveting of the draw gear castings in progress. Draw gear and couplers being overhauled. Oct 2016 - Riveting of the draw gear castings completed, brake piping installed. Nov 2016 - Floor installed, under framing welding completed, fitting of side doors, hand brake fitted Dec 2016 - Car Workshop - Side panels fitted, end panels to be fitted Jan 2017 - Couplers fitted, brake rodding connected, transferred to Emerald for bogie work and sign writing. Feb 2017 - At Emerald - Tyres machined, braking system being prepared

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock - NQR Open Medium Truck

Inscriptions & Markings

216 NQR

transportation Box - Train Instrument

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Train Instrument transportation Box used for the transporting of Flaman Speed Indicator and Recorder to the repair workshops Large wooden Box with wrought iron fittings

Historical information

Train Instrument transportation Box used for the transporting of Flaman Speed Indicator and Recorder to the repair workshops The Flaman Speed Indicator and Recorder was a device patented in 1901 by Nicolas Charles Eugène Flaman of France for indicating the current speed of a vehicle (for example a railway locomotive) and recording it on a paper tape that could be unrolled and examined at the end of a run to provide evidence of the speeds attained on the journey. Design features: The paper tape recording was driven directly by the wheels of the locomotive, with the paper spool moving at a fixed rate per kilometre travelled. Three graphs were recorded, the first being time elapsed (with the trace moving vertically if the train was stationary), the second being a speed curve. and the third recording the driver's attentiveness to signals ("Vigilance") by marking one tick above a line when the driver depressed a button, and another below the line when the engine went over the signal ramp. Data recorded: Read together, it was possible to determine exactly what speed the locomotive had been travelling at any point in time or distance. As well as allowing study of locomotive performance, it also allowed greater scrutiny of the observance of the driver of speed restrictions along the line and attentiveness to signals. It was practice on some railways such as the Victorian Railways in Australia for the driver to sign the speed chart prior to departure.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Train Instrument transportation Box for the transporting of Flaman Speed Indicator and Recorder to the repair workshops

Inscriptions & Markings

Return to Tool Room Newport

24 NB passenger carriage

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Passenger carriage 24NB - Carriage (NB 2nd series 6 compartments), Timber body on a steel frame

Historical information

24 NB - Carriage (NB 3rd series) 6 compartments (36) Vehicle Length 29 feet 6 inches ( 8992 mm) Coupled Length 31 feet 4 inches (9550 mm) Width 6 feet 7 inches (2007 mm) Height 9 feet 9 inches (2972 mm) Weight 11 tons Capacity 40 passengers, or 36 with guard's compartment. Built 1906 - 1915 Number Built (1st Series) 6 Number Built (2nd Series) 17 Number Built (3rd Series) 4 In use NB 24 VR Service History NABAB 4.VA - 18/ 9/1909 NWS Built new - circa 1910 - To NAB 4.VA - NAB 4.VA - 18/ 6/1917 - To NB 24.VA - *NB 24.VA - / 6/1926 - Modified AC Malco 19/ 1/1932 NWS Into Workshops - 10/ 5/1932 NWS Out of Workshops (113 days) 21/ 6/1933 NWS Into Workshops - 17/ 8/1933 NWS Out of Workshops (58 days) 28/ 8/1934 NWS Into Workshops - 13/ 9/1934 NWS Out of Workshops (17 days) 9/ 2/1937 NWS Into Workshops - 17/ 3/1937 NWS Out of Workshops (37 days) 31/ 5/1940 NWS Into Workshops - 5/12/1940 NWS Out of Workshops (189 days) 27/ 1/1948 NWS Into Workshops - 29/ 7/1948 NWS Out of Workshops (185 days) 12/12/1954 - Scrapped Body to Eng. Spcl Works 17/ 8/1957 - Traced at Stocktake STET - Return to Register Puffing Billy Service History or Notes NB (3rd series) The Puffing Billy Railway built a guard's compartment built in 24 NB. This reduced the passenger capacity to 36. The car retained its classification as NB in an attempt to emphasise that this was only a temporary conversion. The NBC classification was already in use. One day the guard's compartment will be removed and the vehicle returned to the classification of NB. The guard's compartment has a radio, air brake taps and gauges but no hand brake.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: NB Passenger carriage

Inscriptions & Markings

24NB

Sectioned Tangye Steam Operated Water Pump

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Sectioned steam pump so that the pump workings can be seen.

Historical information

Sectioned steam pump so that the pump workings can be seen. Inscriptions & Markings: Tangye Birmingham, This steam pump was presented by the colonial gas Assn Ltd (brass plaque) The Colonial Gas Association was originally formed in London on 2 February 1888, as The Australasian Gas Association Limited. The primary objective of the company was to provide investment capital to help finance the construction and management of gasworks being established by the London engineering firm John Coates & Co in metropolitan cities and regional towns throughout Australia and New Zealand. By 1890, the Australasian Gas Association had acquired gasworks at Benalla, Shepparton, Wangaratta, Warragul, Maldon and Seymour, and had constructed a large gasworks at Box Hill to supply the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. In 1893, the company's name was changed to the Colonial Gas Association Limited. During the 1890s, the company acquired regional gasworks in Queensland, Western Australia and South Australia, followed by its first gasworks in New South Wales, in 1911. In 1914, the company consolidated its metropolitan supply area by purchasing the Oakleigh and Footscray gasworks. Further expansion occurred in the 1920s with the purchase of established gasworks at Williamstown, Frankston and Dandenong and the acquisition of ten further gas undertakings in Queensland and New South Wales, making the firm the fifth largest gas producer in Australia. info from The Colonial Gas Association Limited, circa 1893 https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1553322 Originally formed by the five Tangye brothers from Cornwall as James Tangye & Brothers in 1857, this Birmingham engineering firm grew to become one of the largest suppliers of jacks, pumps, steam and oil engines, hydraulic presses, gas producers and machine tools in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The successful sideways launching of I.K. Brunel's 'Great Eastern' from the mud of the Thames in 1857 using Tangyes hydraulic jacks gave the firm much needed publicity and new orders flowed in. To finance expansion, George Price provided additional capital and the company name became Tangye Brothers & Price in 1859. A new factory known as the 'Cornwall Works' was built in Clement Street, Birmingham. In 1872, the firm became Tangye Brothers and in about 1879- 1880 began production of internal combustion stationary engines based on Horace Robinson's patents, later using the Otto four-stroke design for its Soho range of gas engines. Examples of the Soho engine were exhibited by the firm at the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition. Petrol and oil engines were made from the 1890s onward, and by 1910 had developed into the Model B, BR and AA series engines. Tangyes supplied custom-built pumps and presses for particular applications, becoming a major exporter of engineering equipment. In 1884, Tangye Brothers opened a custom-built branch office, showroom and warehouse in Melbourne at Cornwall House in Collins Street West, advertising the full range of engineering products. These lantern slides images are taken from Tangyes product catalogues from the 1910-1925 period and are believed to have been used as sales promotional aids in Australia by the Tangye Brothers. info from https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/4670

Significance

Historic - Industrial Steam Operated Water Pump built by Tangye Bros and used by the Colonial Gas Company - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Inscriptions & Markings

Tangye Birmingham, This steam pump was presented by the colonial gas Assn Ltd (brass plaque)

NSWTD Railway Marker Oil lamp, No.1 RA

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

NSWTD Railway Marker lamp, No.1 RA made of metal and Glass Railway lamp, paraffin, metal/glass/fabric, used for attaching to railway rolling stock to mark the end of the train, made by the New South Wales Transport Department, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1870 - 1970 This lamp comprises a hollow cube of metal. One lens at the front transmits light from an interior light source. Fuel was either signal oil or kerosene. The burner inside the lamp used either cotton or felt wicks to create the light source. The lamp has a carry handle for carrying by hand and a bracket with a slot on the back for hanging onto the hook of a locomotive or item of rolling stock. It is marked "NSWTD" which stands for New South Wales Transport Department.

Historical information

NSWTD Railway Marker OIl lamp, No.1 RA Oil burning lamps have always been an important part of Australian railway signalling systems and have been used for communication, safety and lighting. It is called a marker lamp and was hung on rolling stock (carriages and wagons) such as the guard’s van to indicate the rear of the train at night. They were also used to indicate the rear of steam locomotive tenders for identification and safety purposes. This type of lamp was introduced to the railways around 1860 and continued to be used for over one hundred years. Oil lamps were phased out on the railways during the late 1960s and early 1970s, when they were replaced by battery lamps. Railway lighting included not only stations but yards, engines, rolling stock, signals, signal-boxes and crossings. There were a number of different types of lamps used for a variety of railway purposes.

Significance

Historic - New South Wales Transport Department.- Railway Marker Oil Lamp

Inscriptions & Markings

NSWTD 1 RA

Railway Sign - Victorian Railways - Terminal stop Board - End of electrification

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Railway Sign - Victorian Railways - Terminal stop Board - End of electrification sign metal star shaped enamel sign with Black dot in centre

Historical information

Victorian Railways - Terminal stop Board - End of electrification sign This ‘star’ sign signified that beyond this object there was no further powered overhead to operate on the Melbourne suburban rail network.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Terminal stop Board - End of electrification sign

Inscriptions & Markings

Black Dot

Zeehan & North East Dundas Tramway Bogie 1896

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Bogie made from steel, iron and wrought iron

Historical information

Zeehan & North East Dundas Tramway Bogie 1896 The North East Dundas Tramway (NEDT) was a 2 ft (610 mm) narrow gauge tramway on West Coast Tasmania that ran between Zeehan and Deep Lead (now Williamsford). It was part of Tasmanian Government Railways. The line was opened in 1896 to carry ore from the Williamsford mines to Zeehan where it would be loaded onto another train for shipment to Burnie. The narrow-gauge (2 ft) was chosen because of the extremely difficult terrain that the railway crossed, requiring several big trestle bridges, including one at the foot of Montezuma Falls. After some rain the engine and carriages would get soaked by spray from the falls. There was a break-of-gauge with the mainline 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in) system at Zeehan. The railway was closed in 1932. The rolling stock for the Tramway was built in the Launceston Railway workshops, and comprised twenty five eight-wheel low-side trucks, tare 3 tons 1 cwt. 1 qr., load 10 tons; six eight-wheel flat trucks, tare 2 tons 18 cwt. 1 qr., load 10 tons; two four-wheel bolster trucks, for carrying long timber, tare 1 ton 19 cwt., load 5 tons; and four passenger cars, each with six cross-seats with reversible backs, to carry eighteen passengers, also a locker for mails and parcels. All trucks and cars have cast-steel wheels 21 inches in diameter and are fitted with automatic vacuum brakes. The trucks have side levers and the cars have hand-screw brakes. The vacuum brake can be worked from the engine or from the passenger cars, which act as brake vans. When this brake was introduced, one effect was to accelerate the journey speed by about 10 minutes owing to more even running on down gradients.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow Gauge railway - Bogie used on the Zeehan & North East Dundas Tramway, Tasmania, Australia

Inscriptions & Markings

ZN & NTDS ML TRAM 1896 Griffin

6A Number Plate

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Number Plate 6A Fabricated steel number board made by the Victorian Railways for locomotive 6A.

Historical information

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 6A Loco: 6A In service Thursday, 18th July 1901 Livery Green Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762 Status Preserved - Operational 6A Built in 1901 and painted two-tone green, this locomotive was issued to the Colac to Beech Forest line and was used in that line’s construction. Over the years, it saw service on all four lines, but mostly on the Colac to Crowes and Upper Fern Tree Gully to Gembrook lines. It was temporarily withdrawn from service in 1958 and returned to service at Belgrave in 1962 for the reopening of this line where it saw almost continuous service until being withdrawn in 1983. It has been restored, as far as possible, to its original condition with original design side tanks, low bunker, original size windows, etc., but a steel cow-catcher in place of the original style wooden one. It also has its original colour scheme of two-tone green with white lining.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 6A

Inscriptions & Markings

6A

Steam Hammer

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Large metal mechanical steam hammer. made of iron & wrought iron

Historical information

Steam hammers, invented by Englishman John Naysmith in 1841, made possible the forging of heavy iron bars and greatly reduced the physical labour required in forging. The hammers could vary in capacity (drop-force) from 400 pounds [lbs.] (181 kg) to 400 Tons (406.3 tonnes) and were once a part of most major engineering works. The Victorian Railways, from where the Museum exhibit came, used many hammers of varying sizes, their largest being at Newport Workshops measuring 30 feet (9.1 metres) high by 15 feet (4.6 metres) wide. Steam Hammers have made forging of heavy iron bars possible and has greatly reduced the physical labour required in forging.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Industrial Steam Hammer

1 NH - Powder & General Goods Van

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

1 NH - Powder & General Goods Van Made of Timber - wood, wrought iron and metal sheet There were two compartments: a 10ft 8¾ inch (3,270 mm) section for explosives and a 13 ft 7 in (4,140 mm) section for general goods. The sides, ends covered in sheet metal with NU type louvre doors for ventilation.

Historical information

V.R. Powder & General Goods Van NH1 Gauge 2'6" The NH Powder and Goods van was built in 1910. Its purpose was to carry explosives and general goods, Originally classed as NPH. There were two compartments: a 10ft 8¾ inch (3,270 mm) section for explosives and a 13 ft 7 in (4,140 mm) section for general goods. The sides, ends and doors were covered in sheet metal. With the closing of the mines at Walhalla the need to carry explosives ended and both compartments were used for general goods. The doors were replaced with NU type louvre doors for ventilation. NH1 Covered Truck Service History : NPH NPH 1 was built and issued to traffic June 1910. It was a bogie boxvan set up for general goods and the transportation of explosives. It could carry 6 tons of goods and 4 tons of explosives. No doubt the van was stationed on the Moe - Walhalla line. Walhalla was a gold mining town and the rail line had been built from Moe to provide a faster means of transportation than bullock teams from the sailing boats from Melbourne to Port Albert/Sale via Heyfield. In 1911 the van was converted to all goods transport and recoded to NH. NH The van was fitted with autocouplers in 1928. It was scrapped in 1954. By 1968, the vehicle body had been found and was placed into the Museum at Menzies Creek. Body donated to the Puffing Billy Preservation Society. Vehicle Length 25 feet 2 inches ( 7671 mm) Coupled Length 27 feet 4 inches (8330 mm) Width 6 feet 3 inches (1905 mm) Weight 7 tons Capacity 10 tons Built 1910 Number Built 1 In use - Static display

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - narrow gauge rolling stock - Powder & General Goods Van Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H2187 Puffing Billy Locomotives and Rolling Stock Collection

Inscriptions & Markings

NH1 To carry 10 tons

Bender - Light Rail

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Light Rail Bender made out of cast wrought iron

Historical information

Light Rail Bender Most rails are produced straight. While they to easily bend and appear flexible, they are required to bend for some curves, at rail joins on curves and at point (turn-out) junctions. For a safe transition around curves and in the finer areas of the point, this use to be done with a manual rail bender. Sometimes referred to as a Buddah, the rail bender attaches its two claws to the rail. In the middle of the two claws is a screw that is slowly tightened using a crow-bar to bend the rail. Tightening the screw too fast or too tightly may not give the structure of the rail time to redistribute and the rail may break if not done properly.

Significance

Historic - Railways Permanent Way and Works - track equipment - Light Rail Bender

Benwerrin Coal Company Coal Skip

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Coal Skip - made of Iron sheet and wrought iron frame & wheels

Historical information

BENWERRIN COAL COMPANY SKIP This quarter ton coal truck or skip was used at a small mine situated at Benwerrin near Deans Marsh in Victoria’s Otway Ranges. The mine first opened in 1899 and closed in 1904. With the fuel shortages due to World War 2, the Benwerrin Coal Company reopened the mine in 1941. The coal was loaded into skips and winched out of Box’s Creek valley on a narrow gauge incline to a loading point that was close to the Deans Marsh-Lorne Road. It was then taken by road to the Deans Marsh Railway station. The average gradient of the tramway was 1 in 4 over a length of just under 500 metres (1600 feet). The gauge of the tramway has often been referred to as 375mm (or 15 inches) as shown on the map opposite taken from “Sawdust and Steam”. However, actual measurements of the wheels show the gauge to be 400mm (or 16 inches), which is quite unusual as is the small size of the skip itself. The mine produced up to 30 tonnes of brown coal each week until it closed in 1949 and the incline tramway and its skips were abandoned. Preservation of this coal truck came as a result of interest by the Tramway Museum Society of Victoria (TMSV) in the Barlow or Box type rails that it ran on. These rails had originally come from the Beaumaris Horse Tramway and were obtained by the Benwerrin Coal Company from Hayden Bros’ abandoned timber tramway at nearby Barwon Downs. Members of the TMSV visited the mine in the 1960s only to find that most of the tramway had recently been recovered for scrap. There remained a significant number of relics around the mine adits including most of the skips. One of these remained in good condition and it was recovered for preservation in May 1967. It was restored but never displayed and a second restoration took place by the author over 2012/13 so that it could be placed in the Menzies Creek Museum where it was delivered in February 2013. Little remains of the mine today with trestles and sleepers destroyed in the “Ash Wednesday” Bushfires in 1983. References: Houghton, N (1975), Sawdust and Steam, Light Railway Research Society of Australia.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow Gauge Railway - Benwerrin Coal Company , Benwerrin , Victoria, Australia

Inscriptions & Markings

B,C.Co Melbourne

Locomotive Head Board - Funeral (Graeme S. Breydon)

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Locomotive Head Board - Funeral Head Board (Graeme S. Breydon) Black timber head board with white vinyl letters.

Historical information

The funeral train Puffing Billy ran to farewell their Board chairman and Society Treasurer Graeme Breydon. G42 hauled a long train of passenger cars to Gembrook, and tucked in behind the loco was an NQR open wagon carrying Graeme's coffin. And in what is an old British tradition, the top layer of coal in the bunker was painted white (although the resulting smoke was still fairly black!). Two photos are attached. G42 in Belgrave yard, and a closer view of the NQR. The headboard read ---------------------------------- | VALE | | GRAEME S. BREYDON | | 22-8-1951 - 21-8-2006 | | CHAIRMAN ETRB | | TREASURER PBPS | | REST IN PEACE |

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Locomotive Head Board - used on the funeral train G42 that was ran by Puffing Billy to farewell their Board chairman and Society Treasurer Graeme Breydon.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Vale" Graeme S. Breydon 22-8/-1951 - 21-8-2006 Chairman E.T.R.B Treasurer P.B.P.S Rest in Peace

Locomotive Head Board - Commissioners Inspection Train

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Locomotive Head Board - Commissioners Inspection Train Tin head board with gold, black and red vinyl.

Historical information

Locomotive Head Board - Commissioners Inspection Train Tin head board with gold, black and red vinyl. Climax, Puffing Billy, Commissioners Inspection Train, commissioners special, head board When Made - 1989

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Locomotive Head Board - use on the Climax Locomotive - Commissioners Inspection Train

Inscriptions & Markings

Emerald Tourist Railway Board Commissioners Inspection Train Belgrave Victoria

14NB - Compartment Passenger Carriage

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Passenger Rolling Stock: Passenger carriage 14NB - Carriage (NB 2nd series) 5 compartments - Made of Timber on a Wrought iron frame Awaiting restoration

Historical information

14NB - Carriage (NB 2nd series) 6 compartments (40) Awaiting restoration NB There were three types: -Nos. 1-6 were Saloon cars having end platforms and a ladies toilet, and were built from 1899-1904. Nos. 7-23 were 5-compartment side loading cars, built from 1906-1915. Nos. 24-27 were the former NAB class cars mentioned previously and were also side loading, having 6 compartments and two ladies toilets. VR Service History *NB 14.VA - 16/12/1912 NWS Built new - / 5/1926 - Modified AC Malco 15/ 7/1931 NWS Into Workshops - 20/10/1931 NWS Out of Workshops (98 days) 5/ 8/1936 NWS Into Workshops - 6/11/1936 NWS Out of Workshops (94 days) 26/ 2/1951 - Scrapped - Body and underframe purchased by the Puffing Billy Preservation Society from Pakenham.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: NB Passenger carriage Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H2187 The Puffing Billy Rolling Stock Collection

Inscriptions & Markings

14NB

2NBC - Combined Second-Class Passenger Car And Guard's Van.

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

2NBC - Combined Second-Class Passenger Car And Guard's Van. - Made of Timber on a Wrought iron frame 2NBC - 1 compartment and van (7 & 4 ton capacity)

Historical information

Van 2NBC - 1 compartment and van (7 & 4 ton capacity) In Active Service - Belgrave Station Yard NBC COMBINED SECOND-CLASS PASSENGER CAR AND GUARD'S VAN. Six cars, numbered 1-6, were built during 1898-1905 and originally classed NBDBD. The D was previously the letter code for Brakevans/Guard's Vans, but was changed to C when the double-letter code was dropped in 1910. A final NBC numbered 7 was added to the fleet in 1910. VR Service History : NBDBD 2.VA - 3/10/1899 NCL Built new - circa 1900 - Photograph R101: as N2BDBD circa 1910 - To NBC 2.VA - *NBC 2.VA - / 5/1926 - Modified AC Malco circa 1955 - Condemned -

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Passenger and Guard's Van carriage Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H2187 The Puffing Billy Rolling Stock Collection

Inscriptions & Markings

2NBC

Puffing Billy Preservation Society 50th Anniversary Station Sign

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Puffing Billy Preservation Society 50th Anniversary sign Large rectangle metal sign - off white back ground with black lettering

Historical information

Puffing Billy Preservation Society 50th Anniversary sign This is the large poster board that was erected at Lakeside to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Puffing Billy Preservation Society in 2005. Established in 1955, the Puffing Billy Preservation Society was formed to operate the narrow gauge trains between Upper Fern Tree Gully and Belgrave following the successful Young Sun specials. With the conversion of the Upper Fern Tree Gully to Belgrave line to broad gauge track, the Puffing Billy Preservation Society was the instigator of restoring the Puffing Billy Railway from Belgrave to Menzies Creek in 1962, Menzies Creek to Emerald in 1965 and Emerald to Lakeside in 1975 and in association with the Emerald Tourist Railway Board, Lakeside to Gembrook in 1998.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Preservation Society - Station Sign - for the 50th Anniversary of the Preservation Society

Inscriptions & Markings

Puffing Billy Preservation Society 1955 - 50th Anniversary - 2005 1900 . Line opened by Victorian Railways 1953 . Landslide - Line closed by V.R 1955 . Society established 1962 . Re-opened by Society Today still predominantly volunteer - operated

21 NQR - Open Medium Truck converted to Excursion Car with seats

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

21 NQR - Open Medium Truck converted to Excursion Car with seats made of Steel and metal

Historical information

The NQRs were the standard Medium open goods wagon. Generally the sides and ends were removable thus providing a totally flat truck. Three long drop-down doors formed the sides thus allowing easy loading and unloading. 218 of these goods vehicles were built between 1898 and 1914 ? numbered 1 - 218​. Originally, these wagons carried the code letter R​ as they were built with sides and ends. Unlike the Broad Gauge, VR's 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) narrow gauge network never had four-wheeled wagons (aside from a handful of trolleys). Because of this, a single design of open wagon emerged and this was the only type of wagon ever used on these lines. This was the NQR class, a wagon with the same length and loading capacity as a Broad Gauge four-wheeled open wagon to make transferring freight between the gauges easier. The wagons, numbered 1 through 218, were built between 1898 and 1914. The wagons used the same underframe as most other non-locomotives on the VR Narrow Gauge. Letters and numbers were originally painted only on the end bulkheads and doors, both of which could be removed as traffic dictated, and this made wagon identification difficult until the decals were transferred to the underframes of each wagon In the 1910s some NQRs were provided with removable wood and steel frameworks with canvas roof canopies and side curtains, and internal seating to supplement the rest of the passenger stock during busy holiday periods. Puffing Billy has re-created these for emergency capacity. Five more NQRs, numbered 219-223​, were built between 1990 and 1992 initially for passenger use so were fitted with the removable frames Vehicle Length 25 feet 2 inches ( 7671 mm) Coupled Length 27 feet 4 inches (8330 mm) Width 6 feet 3 inches (1905 mm) Weight 5 tons Capacity 11 tons Built 1898 - 1915 (1992) Number Built 218 (223) In use 14 To be restored 6 21 NQR - Open Medium Truck with drop ends VR Service History 26/11/1898 NWS Built new Vehicle Length 25 feet 2 inches ( 7671 mm) Coupled Length 27 feet 4 inches (8330 mm) Width 6 feet 3 inches (1905 mm) Weight 5 tons Capacity 11 tons Built 1898 - 1915 (1992) Number Built 218 (223) In use 14 To be restored 6 *NQR 21.VA - 26/11/1898 NWS Built new - / /1926 - To NQ 21.VA - NQ 21.VA - 17/ 9/1936 NWS Into Workshops - 29/ 4/1937 NWS Out of Workshops (50 days) Puffing Billy Service History or Notes

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock - Open medium truck with seats (No. 21)

Inscriptions & Markings

21 NQR

Tin Traveling Trunk

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Tin Traveling Trunk

Historical information

Tin Traveling Trunk

Significance

Historic - Passenger Traveling Luggage - Tin Traveling Trunk

8 NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

8NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car made of steel and timber

Historical information

8 NBH - Excursion Car (28) In Active Service - Belgrave Station Yard 8NBH - Excursion carriage. This car has been restored to original condition with white canvas weather blinds,Full carriage length side steps, timber tongue and groove boards,coupling centering springs and some pinch gas lighting equipment. NBH SECOND-CLASS EXCURSION CAR. The H was recognising their use for "Holiday" traffic. 15 of these cars were built in 1919 and numbered 1-15. Two more were built in 1981, and numbered 16 & 17. Two extended versions for wheelchair passengers were built in 1981 & 1983. These were numbered 51 & 52 - a separate number series due to the different type of vehicle. Six, numbered 18-23, were built in 1997-98. These had steel frames, padded seats, and a wide "window sill". At first glance they look the same as the previous NBHs. There are other minor construction differences due to the use of steel framing. 18NBH entered traffic 19/4/1997; 19NBH on 5/12/1997; 20NBH on 19/12/1997, the others added in 1998. VR Service History : *NBH 8.VA - 8/12/1919 NWS Built new - / 1/1929 - Modified AC Malco BO circa 1955 - Condemned

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Excursion Car

Inscriptions & Markings

8NBH

51 NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car for wheelchairs

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

51 NBH - Excursion Car for wheelchairs - specially built for Wheelchair access allowing it to carry 24 passengers or 20 passengers and 3 wheelchairs, or 16 passengers & 6 wheelchairs made of wrought iron and timber

Historical information

51 NBH - Excursion Car for wheelchairs - specially built for Wheelchair access allowing it to carry 24 passengers or 20 passengers and 3 wheelchairs, or 16 passengers & 6 wheelchairs Puffing Billy Service History or Notes Coupled Length 31 feet 4 inches (9550 mm) Width 6 feet 3 inches (1905 mm) Height 9 feet 2 inches (2794 mm) Weight 8 tons Capacity 24 passengers, or 20 passengers and 3 wheelchairs, or 16 passengers and 6 wheelchairs Number Built 2 In use 2 In 1981 the first of two extended NBHs with provision for wheelchair passengers (double door access and fold-up seats) was built, the second following in 1983. These were numbered 51 & 52 - a separate number series because of their length made them different from the other NBHs. May 2016 - In for repairs to the roof

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Excursion Car specially built for Wheelchairs access

Inscriptions & Markings

51NBH

NKS 9 - Victorian Railways 2'6" gauge trolly

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Motorised small rectangular trolly made of wood and wrought iron - currently stored dismantled Engine Type: 1 Cyl. reversible Fuel: 2 stroke Transmission: Belt drive

Historical information

NKS Type Gangers Trolly - Victorian Railways 2'6" gauge trolley - a KS series Section Car oftern called the Kasey Jones The narrow gauge version of the broad gauge KS series cars. They were classed NKS with two stroke motors. These cars were built by the Spotswood Workshops, with castings coming from the Newport Workshops. KS is lighter car capable of carrying 4 men or sevenhundredweight Trolly 9 was built for the State Electricity Commission of Victoria for use on their metre gauge railway of Yallourn. It was sold to a preservation group at Walhalla and regauged to 2 foot 6 inch. It came to the Puffing Billy Railway in the early 1980s.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Track Patrol Vehicle used by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria for use on their 900mm gauge railway of Yallourn. And then at Walhalla Railway where it was regauged to 2 foot 6 inch

Inscriptions & Markings

NKS 9

12 NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Made of timber and steel

Historical information

12NBH - Excursion Car Replica body built by Puffing Billy Preservation Society, Emerald - 1976. Puffing Billy Service History or Notes May 2016 - Lifted NBH SECOND-CLASS EXCURSION CAR. The H was recognising their use for "Holiday" traffic. 15 of these cars were built in 1919 and numbered 1-15. Two more were built in 1981, and numbered 16 & 17. Two extended versions for wheelchair passengers were built in 1981 & 1983. These were numbered 51 & 52 - a separate number series due to the different type of vehicle. Six, numbered 18-23, were built in 1997-98. These had steel frames, padded seats, and a wide "window sill". At first glance they look the same as the previous NBHs. There are other minor construction differences due to the use of steel framing. 18NBH entered traffic 19/4/1997; 19NBH on 5/12/1997; 20NBH on 19/12/1997, the others added in 1998.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railways Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Excursion Car

Inscriptions & Markings

12NBH

Station Toilet Ladies sign

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Station Sign - Toilet Ladies sign wooden rectangle Station name sign painted white background with black letters

Historical information

Station Sign - Toilet Ladies An obvious sign for a convenience. The use of the term Ladies was altered to Women at a later time.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Station Sign - Toilet Ladies

Inscriptions & Markings

Ladies

17 NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

17 NBH Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car made of wrought iron and timber

Historical information

17NBH - Excursion Car (28) VR Service History built in 1981, (16 & 17). Puffing Billy Service History or Notes April 2016 - New doors being prepared July 2016 - In for repairs and repaint Aug 2016 - In for repairs and repaint Sept 2016 - In for repairs and repaint.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Excursion Car

Inscriptions & Markings

17NBH

Carbon - No. 986 Couliett / No. 90 Decauville Steam Locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Small Decauville Couillet Steam locomotive. - Iron & wrought iron frames

Historical information

The locomotive was supplied new by Decauville to the Metropolitan Gas Company Ltd, Melbourne, for use at their gasworks in West Melbourne, where it was named Carbon suppied in 1889 (Couillet builder's number 986, Decauville serial number 90). It was named Carbon. The West Melbourne gas works sourced its coal from Maitland, New South Wales, and the coal was brought by ship to a wharf adjacent to the West Melbourne gas plant. John Benn and Carbon were used to haul the coal over a 762 mm (2 ft 6 in) gauge railway from the wharf to the gasworks, a distance of about 450 metres (500 yards). West Melbourne Gas Works No. "Carbon" Wheels: 0-4-0T Builder: Couillet Build Date: 1890 Construction No.: 986 Empty Weight: Unknown Weight on Drivers: Unknown Driver Diameter: Unknown Tractive Effort: Unknown Boiler Pressure: Unknown Cylinders: Unknown Fuel: Coal Gauge: 30 Decauville locomotives The firm Société Anonyme Decauville located at Petit Bourg, France, was founded to manufacture light railways pioneered by French farmer Paul Decauville to transport crops from the field in 1875. Decauville began designing their own locomotives in 1882, although initially manufacture was contracted out to other builders, notably the Belgian firm Hainault at Couillet Although not well known in Australia, in Europe Couillet was a significant builder of steam locomotives of many different gauges and sizes over a long period of time. The locomotive was supplied new by Decauville to the Metropolitan Gas Company Ltd, Melbourne, for use at their gasworks in West Melbourne, where it was named Carbon (986) . Carbon ( 986 ) The locomotive weighs approximately seven tons. It has the Couillet builder's number 986. of 1889 It was built for Decauville & Cie. of Paris, suppliers of portable and industrial railway equipment, and has their serial number of 90 of 1890. Built in 1889 for the West Melbourne site of the Metropolitan Gas Company, it is a four-wheel tank locomotive and was named “Carbon”. It was withdrawn from service in the 1930s and stored until sold privately in 1962. For a few years in the 1960s it was used on a circle of track at Walhalla, before going to the Whistle Stop Amusement Park in Frankston. Although a number of similar locomotives still exist, as far as is known Carbon is the only one still operating in its original condition.

Significance

Historic - Industrial railways - Metropolitan Gas Company Ltd, Melbourne Steam Locomotive

Inscriptions & Markings

Couillet builder's number 986, Decauville serial number 90

Carriage Toilet sign

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Carriage Toilet sign made of enamel paint on metal

Historical information

Carriage Toilet sign Lift the Handle after using closet pan : but not while train is at Platform or in station yard

Significance

Historic - Railways - Carriage Toilet sign

Inscriptions & Markings

Lift the Handle after using closet pan : but not while train is at Platform or in station yard

Phoenix Foundry Plate

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Phoenix Foundry Plate Oval shaped plate with an image of a phoenix centered at the top with lettering surrounding it.

Historical information

Phoenix Foundry Plate - replica Made about 2010 cast off original from locomotive Y112 The Phoenix Foundry (1857-1906) fabricated iron and brass products - including engines and pumping gear for the mining industry, locomotives, steam rollers, water pipes, water gauges and diverse small items. Throughout its operation the business was located at premises on Armstrong Street, Ballarat . Background In 1852, at the age of thirty-three and after a year of operating his own engineering business at Williamstown, Lancashire-born blacksmith and engineer George Threlfall (1819-1897) arrived on the Sebastopol gold plain and immediately undertook blacksmith work repairing picks and tools for the miners. Little did he know that this fledgling business would be the genesis of the most iconic business of nineteenth-century Ballarat. At approximately thirty-nine years of age, English mechanical engineer Richard Carter (c1814-1883) came to Australia on board the Arrogant - arriving in Melbourne on 19 April 1853. He soon travelled to the Ballarat goldfields. Born in the year 1830 in Belfast (Ireland), mechanical engineer William Henry Shaw (1830-1896) arrived in Australia in October 1853. He worked briefly with George Threlfall at Sebastopol, then moved to Geelong to manage the small foundry of Frederick Moore. Twenty-four year old English-born iron moulder Robert Holden (c1831-?) left his home in Belfast (Ireland) in late 1854 and travelled from Liverpool to Melbourne on board the James Baines - arriving in February 1855. Afterwards he joined his brother-in-law William Henry Shaw in Ballarat. History Foundation to Incorporation In March 1857 George Threlfall joined in business with Richard Carter, William Henry Shaw and Robert Holden. They relocated Threlfall's successful engineering enterprise from Sebastopol to new premises in Armstrong Street, Ballarat. This business was then known variously as the Phoenix Iron Works Company, Phoenix Foundry or Messrs Carter and Co. By 15 April 1857 they were advertising that they were open for business as engineers, millwrights, boiler makers, smiths, iron founders and brass founders. In January 1858 George Threlfall left the partnership. Incorporation to 1889 1890 to Closing locomotive Y112 Builder: Phoenix Foundry, Ballarat Builder’s Number & Year: 238 of 1889 Designer: Kitson & Co Wheel Arrangement: 0-6-0 No. in class: 31 Entered Service: 24 July 1889 Taken off Register: 11 May 1961 The origins of the Victorian Railways Y-class lay with the decision by Kitson & Co, Leeds to place a 0-6-0 freight locomotive on display at the Centennial International Exhibition, Melbourne in 1888, together with a 2-4-2T suburban passenger locomotive. This marketing initiative proved successful as the Victorian Railways were clearly impressed with these machines, with both purchased after the exhibition and becoming the patterns for new standard locomotive types. Thirty examples of the 0-6-0 heavy freight design were ordered from the Phoenix Foundry, Ballarat, becoming the Y-class for main line heavy freight duties, while the 2-4-2T design became the E-class for Melbourne suburban passenger duties (represented by preserved locomotive E 236). The Y-class prove successful in service and accrued high mileages. They were inevitably superseded by more modern and powerful steam locomotives and a number cascaded into shunting and yard pilot duties, often with the addition of shunters steps along both locomotive and tender. Y 112 was one of the last in service when withdrawn in 1961. Fortunately it was saved for preservation and plinthed in central Ballarat, ostensibly in commemoration of Phoenix Foundry. I understand it is owned by the Sovereign Hill Museums Association. During the 1980’s, Y 112 was leased to Steamrail Victoria and restored to operation at an industrial site in Ballarat. Y 112 features an attractive lined apple green livery and has performed various rail tours around Victoria since restoration. It is normally based at the Steamrail depot in Ballarat East. Y 112 is the only 19th century design in operational condition in Victoria and as such is one of the oldest working steam locomotive in Victoria .

Significance

Historic - Phoenix Foundry Plate - replica Made about 2010 cast off original from locomotive Y112

Inscriptions & Markings

Phoenix Foundry No 238 Ballarat Company Limited 1889.

Billabong Ram Pump Size #5

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Cast Iron Bronze valve

Historical information

Pump - Billabong Ram Pump Size #5 Based on available historical data, the Australian-made Billabong Hydraulic Ram is one of the oldest rams produced anywhere in the world The Billabong Hydraulic Ram was first introduced into Australia in 1855 by John Danks and Son Limited, John Danks & Son Pty Ltd began as a plumbing business in 1859, established by brothers John and Samuel. It occupied a prominent site in Bourke Street, Melbourne, for 100 years. The business quickly grew to include factories in Melbourne and Sydney which manufactured and supplied a variety of plumbing and engineering products such as brassware, pumps, windmills and bells. The company was registered in Victoria on 25 January 1889 to continue the hardware manufacturing and supply business founded by brothers John and Samuel Danks in 1859. The head office was based in Bourke Street, Melbourne while another branch was established in Sydney in the 1880s. The company had factories in Melbourne and Sydney. The John Danks and Son Limited catalogue published in 1890, listing Billabong Hydraulic Rams as one of its major machinery products. The catalogue also provides reference to the company’s ram experience and manufacture, beginning by stating that in 1890 they already had 35 years of experience with Billabong Hydraulic Rams. The Hydraulic Ram has stood the test of time and it remains one of the few really practical and efficient uses of natural energy today. It operates without almost any cost, will last indefinitely and, with only two moving parts, is simplicity itself. It requires minimum maintenance and minimum replacement of parts. It is not uncommon to find rams working continuously for many years without any attention. • The Rams do not require electricity, fuel or steam to operate. • They possess simplicity of construction and operation – only 2 moving parts. • Powered only by running water. • Require very minimal or almost no maintenance. • Heavy duty cast Iron base and Dome. This Pump recovered from the Clematis Creek in the Mid 1970's Used to pump water from the creek to the Paradise (Clematis) Hotel.

Significance

Historic - Farm Equipment - Used to pump water from the creek to the Paradise (Clematis) Hotel.

Inscriptions & Markings

Billabong 5