Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Puffing Billy Railway Menzies Creek, Victoria

The Puffing Billy Railway Collection focuses on narrow gauge railway history and associated industry equipment / artifacts primarily from Victoria but extending to the greater Australasia region collected by the PBPS and ETRB

Links

Contact Information

location
1 Old Monbulk Road Belgrave Victoria 3160 (map)
phone
+61 61 3 9757 0700

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Location

School Rd Menzies Creek Victoria

View on Google Maps

Narrow gauge railway history and associated industry equipment / artifacts primarily from Victoria but extending to the greater Australasia region.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

344 items

3A - Victorian Railways NA Class Steam Locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive

Historical information

3A Built in 1900. This is the second locomotive to be built at the Victorian Railways Newport Workshops. Painted in the then standard Victorian Railways two-tone green, this locomotive was issued to the Upper Ferntree Gully to Gembrook line and was used on the line’s construction. Over the years, it saw service on the Colac to Crowes and Moe to Walhalla lines, but it saw more service on the Gembrook line than any other. It was withdrawn from service in 1955 at Upper Fern Tree Gully and sold in 1960 to the Lord Mayor’s Camp at Portsea where it remained on static display until obtained by the Puffing Billy Presservation Society in 1977. Number 3A Entered service Monday, 4th June 1900 Livery two-tone green Gauge 762mm / 2' 6" Service History : Apr 1900 UFTG. - initial allocation Apr 1900 - Jul 1901 UFTG. Feb 1902 - Jan 1906 Colac Feb 1906 - Jul 1906 UFTG. Sep 1907 - Mar 1908 Colac Oct 1908 - Oct 1909 UFTG. Nov 1909 - Apr 1910 Other Oct 1910 - Nov 1911 UFTG. Feb 1912 - Oct 1914 Colac Dec 1914 - Oct 1917 Moe Dec 1917 - Jul 1920 Colac Sep 1920 - Jun 1922 Moe Jul 1922 - Jun 1925 UFTG. Aug 1925 - Mar 1928 Other May 1928 - Nov 1929 Moe Jan 1930 - Apr 1935 Wangaratta Jun 1935 - Sep 1936 Workshops Oct 1936 - May 1949 UFTG. Nov 1949 - Mar 1950 Workshops Apr 1950 - Jun 1955 UFTG. Nov 1955 - Mar 1959 Workshops Nov 1960 - Aug 1973 Lord Mayor’s Camp at Portsea Apr 1977 - Puffing Billy Preservation Society ownership

Significance

Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 3A Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H2187 Dates that 3A worked on the Gembrook Line Apr 1900 - initial allocation of a new locomotive Apr 1900 to Jul 1901 Feb 1906 to Jul 1906 Oct 1908 to Oct 1909 Oct 1910 to Nov 1911 Oct 1936 to May 1949 Apr 1950 to Jun 1955 Apr 1977 to Belgrave

Inscriptions & Markings

3A

8A - Victorian Railways Na Class Steam Locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive

Historical information

8A Built in 1908 and painted Canadian red & dark brown, this locomotive was issued to the Upper Ferntree Gully to Gembrook line. Over the years, it saw service on the Colac to Crowes and Moe to Walhalla lines, but it saw more service on the Gembrook line than any other. It was withdrawn from service in 1955 at Upper Fern Tree Gully and sold to the Beaumaris City Council where it remained on static display until 1970. After storage at Newport & Ballarat North Workshops, it was brought to Belgrave in 1976 for restoration. It was returned to service in 1982 after a complete rebuild in close to its late 1920s condition with its extended bunker & modified front end including the tapered “stovepipe” smokestack, steel cow-catcher and the all-over Black livery. Loco: 8A In service Monday, 2nd March 1908 Livery Canadian red & dark brown Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762mm / 2' 6" Status Preserved - Operational Service History : May 1908 - UFTG. - initial allocation of a new locomotive May 1908 - Mar 1910 UFTG. Apr 1910 - Mar 1915 Colac Jun 1915 -Sep 1926 UFTG. Jan 1927 - Jan 1930 Moe Mar 1930 - Oct 1936 UFTG. Nov 1936 - Dec 1936 Moe Jan 1937 - Oct 1954 UFTG. Dec 1954 - Workshops Jan 1955 - Jan 1968 Other Jul 1970 - Apr 1977 Workshops Jul 1982 - Belgrave - In active service at Puffing Billy Railway Belgrave

Significance

Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 8A Dates that 8A worked on the Gembrook Line Mar-1908 to Apr-1910 - initial allocation of a new locomotive Jun-1915 to Jan-1927 Mar-1930 to Nov-1936 Jan-1937 to Dec-1954 Jul-1982 - Returned to service PBR

Inscriptions & Markings

8A

Allen Twin Cylinder Engine Driving A Brush Electrical Generator

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Twin Cylinder Engine Driving A Brush Electrical Generator made of steel , iron, wrought iron, brass

Historical information

Allen Twin Cylinder Engine Driving A Brush Electrical Generator Built by W. H. Allen & Co, Ltd ., Bedford, England ( serial Number R1/14738/4) it was used at Kodak Australia, Abbotsford plant , to provide power through the attached Brush Electrical Generator ( serial 21177 of 1929 ) for the photographic plant. Donated by Kodak ( Australia ) Ltd. in 1966

Significance

Historic - Industrial Twin Cylinder Engine Driving A Brush Electrical Generator used by Kodak Australia, at their Abbotsford plant, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia

Inscriptions & Markings

Built by W. H. Allen & Co, Ltd ., Bedford, England ( serial Number R1/14738/4)

7A Number Plate

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Number Plate 7A Rectangular black and white number plate. Cast aluminum replica number board.

Historical information

Replica of a Victorian Railways replacement number board that 7A carried in the later 40's and 50's. This plate was created for the preservation society's reenactment trains in 2012 for the 50 year celebration of reopening to Menzies Creek. Loco: 7A In service Saturday, 6th May 1905 Livery Maroon Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762 Status Preserved - Operational 7A Built in 1905 and painted Canadian red & dark brown, this locomotive was issued to the Wangaratta to Whitfield line and saw service on all four lines with most of its service on the Upper Fern Tree Gully to Gembrook line. It was temporarily withdrawn from service in 1958 and returned to service at Belgrave in 1962 for the reopening of this line where it has seen almost continuous service since. 1979 saw the early two-tone green colour scheme applied to this loco as a trial even though it never historically carried it, but its physical configuration was not altered accordingly. It is now painted its original livery of Canadian red & dark brown and will eventually be returned, as far a possible, to its original condition with a low bunker, narrow ash-chute, etc.

Significance

Historic - Replica Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate of the type used on Steam Locomotive 7A in the later 40's and 50's created for the preservation society's reenactment trains in 2012 for the 50 year celebration of reopening to Menzies Creek

Inscriptions & Markings

7A

6A Number Plate

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

6A Number Plate. Fabricated steel number board made by the Victorian Railways for locomotive 6A.

Historical information

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 6A Loco: 6A In service Thursday, 18th July 1901 Livery Green Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762 Status Preserved - Operational 6A Built in 1901 and painted two-tone green, this locomotive was issued to the Colac to Beech Forest line and was used in that line’s construction. Over the years, it saw service on all four lines, but mostly on the Colac to Crowes and Upper Fern Tree Gully to Gembrook lines. It was temporarily withdrawn from service in 1958 and returned to service at Belgrave in 1962 for the reopening of this line where it saw almost continuous service until being withdrawn in 1983. It has been restored, as far as possible, to its original condition with original design side tanks, low bunker, original size windows, etc., but a steel cow-catcher in place of the original style wooden one. It also has its original colour scheme of two-tone green with white lining.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 6A

Inscriptions & Markings

6A

14A Number Plate

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Number Plate 14A Rectangular black and brass number plate. Cast brass number board.

Historical information

Number Plate 14A Loco: 14A In service Thursday, 25th June 1914 Withdrawn April 1962 Livery Red Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762 Status Preserved - Operational 14A Built in 1914 and painted Canadian red & dark brown, this locomotive was issued to the Colac to Crowes line and saw service on all four lines, but mostly on the Colac to Crowes line. It was withdrawn from service in 1962 at Colac and sent to Newport Workshops for storage where it remained, except for a brief time at Bendigo North Work-shops in 1963. After overhaul, it was brought to Belgrave in 1965 where it has seen almost continuous service since. In 1978, it became the first of the preserved NA’s to trial a historic colour scheme for which the Canadian red & dark brown was chosen, but ended up mistakenly being painted a “London Tan” & dark brown. In 1996 it received a more correct Canadian red livery. This “temporary” trial livery has now given way to 14A’s designated livery of all-over black. Its physical configuration will match the late 1940s era with the extended bunker, guard irons, etc.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 14A

Inscriptions & Markings

14A

7A Number Plate

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Number Plate 7A Fabricated steel number board made by the Victorian Railways for locomotive 7A

Historical information

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 7A Loco: 7A In service Saturday, 6th May 1905 Livery Maroon Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762 Status Preserved - Operational 7A Built in 1905 and painted Canadian red & dark brown, this locomotive was issued to the Wangaratta to Whitfield line and saw service on all four lines with most of its service on the Upper Fern Tree Gully to Gembrook line. It was temporarily withdrawn from service in 1958 and returned to service at Belgrave in 1962 for the reopening of this line where it has seen almost continuous service since. 1979 saw the early two-tone green colour scheme applied to this loco as a trial even though it never historically carried it, but its physical configuration was not altered accordingly. It is now painted its original livery of Canadian Pacific red & dark brown and will eventually be returned, as far a possible, to its original condition with a low bunker, narrow ash-chute, etc.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 7A

Inscriptions & Markings

7a

5A Number Plate

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Victorian Railways produced 5a number plate. made of cast iron

Historical information

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 5A Loco: 5A In service Saturday, 23rd March 1901 Scrapped Monday, 7th July 1958 Livery Black Owner VR Gauge 762 Status Scrapped Service History : Mar 1901 Colac - initial allocation of a new locomotive Mar 1901 - Feb 1902 Colac Dec 1902 - Oct 1908 UFTG. Nov 1908 - Oct 1912 Colac Nov 1912 - May 1913 Other Jun 1913 - Jun 1915 UFTG. Sep 1915 - Sep 1920 Moe Oct 1920 - Nov 1921 UFTG. Mar 1922 - Jan 1927 Colac Mar 1927 - Aug 1927 Moe Oct 1927 - Jan 1928 UFTG. Feb 1928 - Dec 1934 Colac Jan 1935 - Mar 1935 Moe Apr 1935 - Sep 1942 Colac Mar 1943 - Mar 1949 Moe Apr 1949 - Nov 1957 Colac Dec 1957 Colac - Stored. Feb 1958 - Jul 1958 Workshops - Scrapped

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 5A

Inscriptions & Markings

5a

12A Number Plate

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Number Plate 12A Brass builders plate with black background

Historical information

Number Plate 12A Loco: 12A In service Monday, 23rd December 1912 Livery Black with Red Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762 Status Under Overhaul 12A Built in 1912 and painted Canadian red & dark brown, this locomotive was issued to the Colac to Crowes line, but over the years saw service on all four lines. It was withdrawn from service in 1954 at Moe and sent to Newport Workshops for storage where it remained until 1972. After overhaul at Ballarat North Workshops, it was brought to Belgrave in 1973 where it saw continuous service until withdrawn in 1982 for a complete rebuild. It was returned to service in 1992 in close to its early 1940s condition with all-over Black livery. It will be returned to its post WWI condition with low bunker, narrow ash chute, steel cowcatcher and Canadian red livery.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 12A

Inscriptions & Markings

12A

16A Number Plate

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Number Plate 16A made of cast Aluminum

Historical information

Replica 16A number board Loco: 16A In service Wednesday, 30th June 1915 Withdrawn 1933 Scrapped Monday, 29th June 1936 Livery Black Owner VR Gauge 762 Status Scrapped

Significance

Historic - Replica Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate - Steam Locomotive 16A

Inscriptions & Markings

16A

6A Number Plate

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Number Plate 6A Fabricated steel number board made by the Victorian Railways for locomotive 6A.

Historical information

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 6A Loco: 6A In service Thursday, 18th July 1901 Livery Green Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762 Status Preserved - Operational 6A Built in 1901 and painted two-tone green, this locomotive was issued to the Colac to Beech Forest line and was used in that line’s construction. Over the years, it saw service on all four lines, but mostly on the Colac to Crowes and Upper Fern Tree Gully to Gembrook lines. It was temporarily withdrawn from service in 1958 and returned to service at Belgrave in 1962 for the reopening of this line where it saw almost continuous service until being withdrawn in 1983. It has been restored, as far as possible, to its original condition with original design side tanks, low bunker, original size windows, etc., but a steel cow-catcher in place of the original style wooden one. It also has its original colour scheme of two-tone green with white lining.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 6A

Inscriptions & Markings

6A

Aveling & Porter 11629 - South Melbourne City Council Aveling & Porter 10 ton Steam Roller

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Aveling & Porter 10 ton Steam Roller made of Iron, Wrought Iron

Historical information

Built by Aveling & Porter Ltd., Rochester, Kent, England Builder’s Number 11629 of 1923 Weight 10 Tons Used by the South Melbourne Council in road construction between 1926 and 1963 Aveling and Porter was a British agricultural engine and steam roller manufacturer. Thomas Aveling and Richard Thomas Porter entered into partnership in 1862, developed a steam engine three years later in 1865. The company became the largest manufacturer of steam rollers in the world. Service History : Title: City Surveyor's report Creator: Johnson, A.L Publisher: Prahran City Council Date: 1921 .... The 10-ton steam roller worked 302 days, the Aveling and Porter 12½-ton roller worked 211 days while the Garrett steam wagon continues to carry tar and road materials. city of prahran annual reports 1912-1913 http://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/files/assets/public/history/city-of-prahran-annual-reports-1912-1913.pdf

Significance

Historic - Industrial Steam Roller - Road Construction, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Inscriptions & Markings

Builders Number 11629 Aveling & Porter

6A - Victorian Railways Na class steam locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive - with wrought iron frame with cast iron cylinders

Historical information

6A Built in 1901 and painted two-tone green, this locomotive was issued to the Colac to Beech Forest line and was used in that line’s construction. Over the years, it saw service on all four lines, but mostly on the Colac to Crowes and Upper Fern Tree Gully to Gembrook lines. It was temporarily withdrawn from service in 1958 and returned to service at Belgrave in 1962 for the reopening of this line where it saw almost continuous service until being withdrawn in 1983. It has been restored, as far as possible, to its original condition with original design side tanks, low bunker, original size windows, etc., but a steel cow-catcher in place of the original style wooden one. It also has its original colour scheme of two-tone green with white lining. Loco: 6A In service Thursday, 18th July 1901 Livery two-tone green Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762mm / 2' 6' Status Preserved - Operational Service History : Jul 1901 Colac - initial allocation of a new locomotive Jul 1901 - Nov 1908 Colac Mar 1909 - May 1909 Wangaratta Jun 1909 - Other Oct 1909 - Oct 1910 UFTG. Nov 1910 - Feb 1912 Colac May 1912 - Jun 1912 Wangaratta Jul 1912 - Sep 1914 Moe Oct 1914 - Aug 1924 Colac May 1925 - Jul 1927 UFTG. Aug 1927 - Oct 1928 Moe Jan 1929 - Sep 1930 UFTG. Sep 1930 - Jun 1932 Moe Dec 1932 - Workshops May 1933 - Colac Sep 1933 - May 1936 Moe Jun 1936 - Oct 1936 Workshops Oct 1936 - May 1942 UFTG. Sep 1942 - Apr 1949 Colac May 1949 - Apr 1950 Workshops May 1950 - Dec 1957 UFTG. Feb 1958 - Apr 1962 Workshops May 1962 - Belgrave - In Active Service at Puffing Billy Railway Belgrave

Significance

Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 6A Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H2187 Puffing Billy Locomotives and Rolling Stock Collection Dates that 6A worked on the Gembrook Line Nov-1909 to Nov-1910 May-1925 to Aug-1927 Jan-1929 to Sep-1930 Oct-1936 to Sep-1942 May-1950 to Feb-1958 May-1962 - Returned to Gembrook railway Oct-1977 - Transferred to PBR ownership

Inscriptions & Markings

6A

14A - Victorian Railways NA class Steam Locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive with wrought iron frame with cast iron cylinders - Converted to running on Light Oil in 2018

Historical information

14A Built in 1914 and painted Canadian red & dark brown, this locomotive was issued to the Colac to Crowes line and saw service on all four lines, but mostly on the Colac to Crowes line. It was withdrawn from service in 1962 at Colac and sent to Newport Workshops for storage where it remained, except for a brief time at Bendigo North Work-shops in 1963. After overhaul, it was brought to Belgrave in 1965 where it has seen almost continuous service since. In 1978, it became the first of the preserved NA’s to trial a historic colour scheme for which the Canadian red & dark brown was chosen, but ended up mistakenly being painted a “London Tan” & dark brown. In 1996 it received a more correct Canadian red livery. This “temporary” trial livery has now given way to 14A’s designated livery of all-over black. Its physical configuration will match the late 1940s era with the extended bunker, guard irons, etc. Loco: 14A In service Thursday, 25th June 1914 Withdrawn April 1962 Livery Canadian red & dark brown Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762mm / 2' 6" Status Preserved - Operational - Converted to running on Light Oil in 2018 Service History: Jun 1914 - Colac - initial allocation of a new locomotive Jun 1914 - May 1921 Colac Aug 1921 - UFTG. Sep 1921 - Feb 1923 Moe May 1923 - Apr 1927 Colac Jul 1927 - Apr 1929 UFTG. Apr 1929 - May 1932 Other May 1932 - Nov 1934 Moe Dec 1934 - Jan 1940 Wangaratta Jun 1940 - Workshops Oct 1940 - Mar 1947 Colac May 1948 - Nov 1960 Colac - Stored Apr 1962 - Jul 1962 Workshops - Stored Dec 1965 - Belgrave - In active service at Puffing Billy Railway Belgrave

Significance

Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 14A Dates that 14A worked on the Gembrook Line Aug-1921 to Sep-1921 Jul-1927 to Apr-1929 Dec-1965 - Returned to service Oct-1977 - Transferred to ETRB ownership

Inscriptions & Markings

14A

12A - Victorian Railways NA Class Steam Locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive

Historical information

12A Built in 1912 and painted Canadian red & dark brown, this locomotive was issued to the Colac to Crowes line, but over the years saw service on all four lines. It was withdrawn from service in 1954 at Moe and sent to Newport Workshops for storage where it remained until 1972. After overhaul at Ballarat North Workshops, it was brought to Belgrave in 1973 where it saw continuous service until withdrawn in 1982 for a complete rebuild. It was returned to service in 1992 in close to its early 1940s condition with all-over Black livery. It will be returned to its post WWI condition with low bunker, narrow ash chute, steel cowcatcher and Canadian red livery. Loco: 12A In service Monday, 23rd December 1912 Livery Canadian red & dark brown Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762mm / 2' 6" Status Preserved - Operational Service History: Oct 1912 - Colac - initial allocation of a new locomotive Oct 1912 - Nov 1916 Colac Jan 1917 - Jan 1919 UFTG. Mar 1920 - Wangaratta Jul 1920 - Sep 1925 Colac Jan 1926 - Aug 1926 Moe Sep 1926 - Oct 1937 UFTG. Mar 1938 - Mar 1943 Moe Aug 1943 - Dec 1946 UFTG. Mar 1947 - May 1948 Workshops Mar 1949 - Apr 1950 UFTG. May 1950 - Aug 1954 Moe Oct 1954 - Jul 1970 Workshops Aug 1973 - In service at Puffing Billy Railway

Significance

Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 12A Dates that 12A worked on the Gembrook Line Jan-1917 to Mar-1920 Sep-1926 to Mar-1938 Aug-1945 to Mar-1947 Mar-1949 to May-1950 Aug-1973 - Returned to service. Oct-1977 - Transferred to ETRB ownership.

Inscriptions & Markings

12A

7A - Victorian Railways NA class steam locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive with wrought iron frame with cast iron cylinders

Historical information

7A Built in 1905 and painted Canadian red & dark brown, this locomotive was issued to the Wangaratta to Whitfield line and saw service on all four lines with most of its service on the Upper Fern Tree Gully to Gembrook line. It was temporarily withdrawn from service in 1958 and returned to service at Belgrave in 1962 for the reopening of this line where it has seen almost continuous service since. 1979 saw the early two-tone green colour scheme applied to this loco as a trial even though it never historically carried it, but its physical configuration was not altered accordingly. It is now painted its original livery of Canadian red & dark brown and will eventually be returned, as far a possible, to its original condition with a low bunker, narrow ash-chute, etc. Loco: 7A In service Saturday, 6th May 1905 Livery Canadian red & dark brown Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762 / 2' 6" Status Preserved - Operational Service History : May 1905 Wangaratta - initial allocation of a new locomotive May 1905 - Apr 1906 Wangaratta Jul 1906 - Nov 1910 Colac Feb 1911 - Jul 1912 Moe Sep 1912 - Dec 1917 Colac Mar 1918 - Sep 1921 UFTG. Nov 1921 - Sep 1923 Colac Dec 1923 - May 1925 UFTG. Jun 1925 - Aug 1925 Workshops Sep 1925 - Aug 1927 UFTG. Aug 1927 - Feb 1928 Workshops Mar 1928 - May 1928 UFTG. Jul 1928 - Moe Sep 1928 - Mar 1930 UFTG. Apr 1930 - Sep 1930 Workshops Oct 1930 - Oct 1936 UFTG. Nov 1936 - Moe Dec 1936 - Aug 1945 UFTG. Dec 1946 - May 1953 Colac Sep 1953 - Oct 1954 Moe Dec 1954 - Jun 1955 Workshops Nov 1955 - Dec 1957 UFTG. - Stored Feb 1958 - Apr 1962 Workshops May 1962 - Belgrave - In active service at Puffing Billy Railway Belgrave

Significance

Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 7A Dates that 7A worked on the Gembrook Line Mar-1918 to Nov-1921 Dec-1923 to Jun-1925 Sep-1925 to Aug-1927 May-1928 to Apr-1930 Oct-1930 to Nov-1936 Dec-1936 to Dec-1946 Nov-1955 to Feb-1958 May-1962 - Returned to Gembrook line Oct - 1977 - Transferred to ETRB ownership

Inscriptions & Markings

7A

Axle Box Cover - Tasmanian Main Line Co.

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Axle box cover from a Tasmanian Main Line rail vehicle from 1874.

Historical information

Axle box cover from a Tasmanian Main Line Railway rail vehicle from 1874 The Tasmanian Main Line Railway Company (T.M.R.L.) was a privately owned railway company that existed in Tasmania from 1872 to 1890. The company were the first operators of rail services between Hobart and Launceston, where it connected with the Launceston and Western Railway (L.W.R.) It started construction of a 3' 6" gauge line between Hobart and Launceston in 1873 which was completed in December 1875. and was officially opened on 1 November 1876. The route of the railway was selected largely as a result of vocal local interests and accordingly traversed some reasonably unfavorable topography, particularly in the southern section. Because the TMLR had limited finances, the line was built to the narrow (1067 mm) gauge and included long sections of steep gradients and sharp curves. The final eighteen kilometres of the route from Western Junction to Launceston used the existing broad gauge alignment of the Launceston and Western Railway, with a third rail being laid for use by the narrow gauge trains A close but uncomfortable relationship with the Government was resolved in 1890 with the purchase of the company's assets by the Crown and their incorporation into the Tasmanian Government Railways on 1 October 1890.

Significance

Historic early Tasmanian Main Line Railway - Vehicle Axel Box cover

Inscriptions & Markings

T.M.L.R - 1874 -

Ballarat Station Parcels Office Clock

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Station Clock - Ballarat Station Parcels Office Clock Antique timber cased railway clock. Circular face with Roman numerals. By Foster of London, with numbered brass plaque '631'. Single barrel fusee movement.

Historical information

This historic railway clock , originally installed in the Parcels Office at Ballarat Station Station Clock - Ballarat Station A Victorian Railways Station clock that was located in the Parcels Office at Ballarat. In the 19th Century, time was not seen as an urgent requirement to be somewhere or do something. There was sun up and sun down. A number of towns in Victoria operated on different times to other towns in the state. With the coming of the railways in Victoria from 1854, time became more important not only from the public side, but from a railway operational safety side. Clocks started appearing at railway stations, sometimes showing a different (standard) time to that of the local town. Eventually all of Victoria was bought into the same time zone, which matched the railway standard.

Significance

Historic - Station Clock - Ballarat Station - which was used in the Parcels Office at the Victorian Railways Ballarat railway station

Inscriptions & Markings

Foster London 631

Bender - Light Rail

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Light Rail Bender made out of cast wrought iron

Historical information

Light Rail Bender Most rails are produced straight. While they to easily bend and appear flexible, they are required to bend for some curves, at rail joins on curves and at point (turn-out) junctions. For a safe transition around curves and in the finer areas of the point, this use to be done with a manual rail bender. Sometimes referred to as a Buddah, the rail bender attaches its two claws to the rail. In the middle of the two claws is a screw that is slowly tightened using a crow-bar to bend the rail. Tightening the screw too fast or too tightly may not give the structure of the rail time to redistribute and the rail may break if not done properly.

Significance

Historic - Railways Permanent Way and Works - track equipment - Light Rail Bender

Benwerrin Coal Company Coal Skip

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Coal Skip - made of Iron sheet and wrought iron frame & wheels

Historical information

BENWERRIN COAL COMPANY SKIP This quarter ton coal truck or skip was used at a small mine situated at Benwerrin near Deans Marsh in Victoria’s Otway Ranges. The mine first opened in 1899 and closed in 1904. With the fuel shortages due to World War 2, the Benwerrin Coal Company reopened the mine in 1941. The coal was loaded into skips and winched out of Box’s Creek valley on a narrow gauge incline to a loading point that was close to the Deans Marsh-Lorne Road. It was then taken by road to the Deans Marsh Railway station. The average gradient of the tramway was 1 in 4 over a length of just under 500 metres (1600 feet). The gauge of the tramway has often been referred to as 375mm (or 15 inches) as shown on the map opposite taken from “Sawdust and Steam”. However, actual measurements of the wheels show the gauge to be 400mm (or 16 inches), which is quite unusual as is the small size of the skip itself. The mine produced up to 30 tonnes of brown coal each week until it closed in 1949 and the incline tramway and its skips were abandoned. Preservation of this coal truck came as a result of interest by the Tramway Museum Society of Victoria (TMSV) in the Barlow or Box type rails that it ran on. These rails had originally come from the Beaumaris Horse Tramway and were obtained by the Benwerrin Coal Company from Hayden Bros’ abandoned timber tramway at nearby Barwon Downs. Members of the TMSV visited the mine in the 1960s only to find that most of the tramway had recently been recovered for scrap. There remained a significant number of relics around the mine adits including most of the skips. One of these remained in good condition and it was recovered for preservation in May 1967. It was restored but never displayed and a second restoration took place by the author over 2012/13 so that it could be placed in the Menzies Creek Museum where it was delivered in February 2013. Little remains of the mine today with trestles and sleepers destroyed in the “Ash Wednesday” Bushfires in 1983. References: Houghton, N (1975), Sawdust and Steam, Light Railway Research Society of Australia.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow Gauge Railway - Benwerrin Coal Company , Benwerrin , Victoria, Australia

Inscriptions & Markings

B,C.Co Melbourne

Billabong Ram Pump Size #5

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Cast Iron Bronze valve

Historical information

Pump - Billabong Ram Pump Size #5 Based on available historical data, the Australian-made Billabong Hydraulic Ram is one of the oldest rams produced anywhere in the world The Billabong Hydraulic Ram was first introduced into Australia in 1855 by John Danks and Son Limited, John Danks & Son Pty Ltd began as a plumbing business in 1859, established by brothers John and Samuel. It occupied a prominent site in Bourke Street, Melbourne, for 100 years. The business quickly grew to include factories in Melbourne and Sydney which manufactured and supplied a variety of plumbing and engineering products such as brassware, pumps, windmills and bells. The company was registered in Victoria on 25 January 1889 to continue the hardware manufacturing and supply business founded by brothers John and Samuel Danks in 1859. The head office was based in Bourke Street, Melbourne while another branch was established in Sydney in the 1880s. The company had factories in Melbourne and Sydney. The John Danks and Son Limited catalogue published in 1890, listing Billabong Hydraulic Rams as one of its major machinery products. The catalogue also provides reference to the company’s ram experience and manufacture, beginning by stating that in 1890 they already had 35 years of experience with Billabong Hydraulic Rams. The Hydraulic Ram has stood the test of time and it remains one of the few really practical and efficient uses of natural energy today. It operates without almost any cost, will last indefinitely and, with only two moving parts, is simplicity itself. It requires minimum maintenance and minimum replacement of parts. It is not uncommon to find rams working continuously for many years without any attention. • The Rams do not require electricity, fuel or steam to operate. • They possess simplicity of construction and operation – only 2 moving parts. • Powered only by running water. • Require very minimal or almost no maintenance. • Heavy duty cast Iron base and Dome. This Pump recovered from the Clematis Creek in the Mid 1970's Used to pump water from the creek to the Paradise (Clematis) Hotel.

Significance

Historic - Farm Equipment - Used to pump water from the creek to the Paradise (Clematis) Hotel.

Inscriptions & Markings

Billabong 5

Blacksmith's Bellow

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Blacksmith's bellow. made from wood and leather and wrought iron fittings

Historical information

Blacksmith's Bellow Used by the Blacksmith to blow more air into his fire which further heats the flame to provide a temperature hot enough to heat the steel that he is working on

Significance

Historic - Industrial - Blacksmithing equipment

Blackstone Oil Engine

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Blackstone 8HP Oil Engine made from steel, wrought iron and brass

Historical information

8HP Blackstone Lamps Start Oil Engine engine number 71076 Engine Details Maximum operating RPM of 240. Fitted with a 3'9" Flywheel Tested on the 6th of November 1908. Shipped to Cluter buck South Australia for installation on concrete base. Recovered and restored during the 80's in South Australia Purchased privately in 2013 in Tailem Bend South Australia and transported to Victoria. Currently on loan to the Puffing Billy Museum at Menzies Creek as an operating exhibit. Blackstone & Co. was a farm implement maker at Stamford, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom. In 1896 they built lamp start oil engines. The Lamp or hot-bulb engine (also hotbulb or heavy-oil engine) is a type of internal combustion engine. It is an engine in which fuel is ignited by being brought into contact with a red-hot metal surface inside a bulb, followed by the introduction of air (oxygen) compressed into the hot-bulb chamber by the rising piston. There is some ignition when the fuel is introduced, but it quickly uses up the available oxygen in the bulb. Vigorous ignition takes place only when sufficient oxygen is supplied to the hot-bulb chamber on the compression stroke of the engine. Most hot-bulb engines were produced as one-cylinder, low-speed two-stroke crankcase scavenged units

Significance

Historic - Industrial - single cylinder, horizontal, 4 stroke, hot-bulb ignition oil engine

Inscriptions & Markings

Oval Plate with Black Stones and Clutter Buck Brass Plaque engine number 71076

Bogie - Break of Gauge

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Break of Gauge Bogie made of iron and wrought iron & brass

Historical information

Designed and built in the early 1920’s by Charles Robert Prosser , a Melbourne Engineer, for an enquiry by the Commonwealth Government into ways of solving the break of gauge problem. Breaks or changes in railway gauges existed at most state borders of Australia during the first half of the 20th century. Upon completion of this model, it was placed on display in the Federal Parliament then located in Parliament House, Melbourne. Patents on the Break of Gauge Bogie Application number Title Applicant(s) Inventor(s) Filing date 1921000390 Improved means of adjusting the wheels of rolling stock to suit railway tracks of different gauges Charles Robert Prosser Charles Robert Prosser 1921-02-01 1917004843 Improvements in and connected with railway or other ticket supply tubes Charles Robert Prosser Charles Robert Prosser 1917-08-09 1915016191 IMPROVEMENTS IN AND CONNECTED WITH THE ADAPTATION OF RAILWAY ROLLING STOCK TO DIFFERENT GAUGES Charles Robert Prosser Charles Robert Prosser 1915-05-01 1915015980 Improvements in and connected with the adaptation of railway rolling stock to different gauges Charles Robert Prosser Charles Robert Prosser 1915-04-09 1914012931 Improvements in and connected with the adaptation of railway rolling stock to different gauges Charles Robert Prosser Charles Robert Prosser 1914-04-20 The Sydney Morning Herald Fri 2 Sep 1921 Page 6 BREAK OF GAUGE DEVICE. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article28088233

Significance

Historic - Railway Invention Break of Gauge Bogie

Bottle and Jars found at the Museum in the ground

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Bottle and Jars found at the Museum in the ground

Historical information

Bottle and Jars found at the Museum in the ground Bottle with Pecks RD NO 30273 embossed on base - Peck's Fish Paste, circa: early to mid 20th century

Significance

Historic - Bottle and Jars found at the Museum in the ground

Inscriptions & Markings

Bottle and Jars found at the Museum in the ground Bottle with Pecks RD NO 30273 embossed on base - Peck's Fish Paste, circa: early to mid 20th century

Bread Plate - Victorian Railways Black & White

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

ceramic Victorian Railways Bread Plate - Black & White

Historical information

Victorian Railways Bread Plate - Black & White Maker : W H Grindley & Co (Ltd) Earthenware manufacturer at the Newfield Pottery and then the Woodfield Pottery, Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent The company was founded at the Newfield Pottery in 1880 by William Harry Grindley (princliple partner) and Mr Turner (the '& Co.') They produced Earthenware and Ironstone China - particularly for the Canadian, United States, South American and Australian markets. In 1891 the company moved to the Woodfield Pottery, Woodland Street, Tunstall. In 1960 the business was purchased by Alfred Clough Ltd. In 1978 renamed Grindley of Stoke (ceramics) Ltd. Federated Potteries Co. Ltd. took them over in 1982 and in 1988 the business was re-purchase by W. H. Grindley. 1991 saw the company in the hands of the receivers. and the same year they were taken over by Woodlands Pottery. DURALINE (trade mark) printed mark used by Grindley Hotel Ware Co Ltd c.1930's onwards The Number i.e "6-53" = "month-year" Supplier to Victorian railways : Loftus Moran, Melbourne: Mr Loftus Henry Moran was well known in the tea trade. Originally employed by Griffiths Bros Ltd, he started his own business, Loftus Moran Pty Ltd, in 1909 In 1913 he purchased the tea business of Mcintyre Bros, and later' that of Steele Bros, and absorbed them in his own company. He had a wide business connection among hotels and guest houses for supplying crockery and other supplies. Ref: DEATH OF MR LOFTUS MORAN (1944, May 27). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), p. 4. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11809686 1st Advertisement of the Plates in the papers: CHIPPED CROCKERY. Nothing is more objectionable than chipped crockery--besides its use is illegal. DURALINE Plates, manufactured by The Grindley Hotel Ware Co., are tough as raw-hide. This is why they are used by practically every hotel and institution in Australia. Obtainable only from LOFTUS MORAN PTY. LTD., Hotel Supply Specialists, 131 Queen's Bridge Street, Melbourne South Advertising (29 March 1933, ). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. ), p. 7. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4726734

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Refreashment Services crockery - plate

Inscriptions & Markings

Victorian Railways ( in black on fount of plate ) "DURALINE" ( in Black on back of plate ) super Vitrified GRINDLEY HotelWare Co England Loftus Moran Pty Ld Melbourne 8 -53

Bucket - Train Sand

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Train Sand Bucket made of metal

Historical information

Train Sand Bucket The Train Sand Bucket was usually carried in the guards van of a train and was used to sand the rails when required to provide traction for the locomotive to haul its load up steep grades.

Significance

Historic - Railways - Train Sand Bucket

bucket - with spout

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Metal bucket with spout

Historical information

Hand made metal bucket with spout leade soldered Bucket marked “ 10 - Not for Mineraleol”

Inscriptions & Markings

10 - Not for Mineraleol

Builders Plate - Replica Victorian Railways Locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Replica Victorian Railways Builders Plate Made from cast aluminium with blue and white paint.

Historical information

Produced for the running of locomotive 7A, dressed as 9A on the Thomson to Walhalla portion of the Moe to Walhalla narrow gauge railway for the Moe to Walhalla railway centenary in 2010. Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - Replica Victorian Railways Builders Plate

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - Replica Victorian Railways Builders Plate

Inscriptions & Markings

Manufactured at the V R Newport workshops 1910

Carbon - No. 986 Couliett / No. 90 Decauville Steam Locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Small Decauville Couillet Steam locomotive. - Iron & wrought iron frames

Historical information

The locomotive was supplied new by Decauville to the Metropolitan Gas Company Ltd, Melbourne, for use at their gasworks in West Melbourne, where it was named Carbon suppied in 1889 (Couillet builder's number 986, Decauville serial number 90). It was named Carbon. The West Melbourne gas works sourced its coal from Maitland, New South Wales, and the coal was brought by ship to a wharf adjacent to the West Melbourne gas plant. John Benn and Carbon were used to haul the coal over a 762 mm (2 ft 6 in) gauge railway from the wharf to the gasworks, a distance of about 450 metres (500 yards). West Melbourne Gas Works No. "Carbon" Wheels: 0-4-0T Builder: Couillet Build Date: 1890 Construction No.: 986 Empty Weight: Unknown Weight on Drivers: Unknown Driver Diameter: Unknown Tractive Effort: Unknown Boiler Pressure: Unknown Cylinders: Unknown Fuel: Coal Gauge: 30 Decauville locomotives The firm Société Anonyme Decauville located at Petit Bourg, France, was founded to manufacture light railways pioneered by French farmer Paul Decauville to transport crops from the field in 1875. Decauville began designing their own locomotives in 1882, although initially manufacture was contracted out to other builders, notably the Belgian firm Hainault at Couillet Although not well known in Australia, in Europe Couillet was a significant builder of steam locomotives of many different gauges and sizes over a long period of time. The locomotive was supplied new by Decauville to the Metropolitan Gas Company Ltd, Melbourne, for use at their gasworks in West Melbourne, where it was named Carbon (986) . Carbon ( 986 ) The locomotive weighs approximately seven tons. It has the Couillet builder's number 986. of 1889 It was built for Decauville & Cie. of Paris, suppliers of portable and industrial railway equipment, and has their serial number of 90 of 1890. Built in 1889 for the West Melbourne site of the Metropolitan Gas Company, it is a four-wheel tank locomotive and was named “Carbon”. It was withdrawn from service in the 1930s and stored until sold privately in 1962. For a few years in the 1960s it was used on a circle of track at Walhalla, before going to the Whistle Stop Amusement Park in Frankston. Although a number of similar locomotives still exist, as far as is known Carbon is the only one still operating in its original condition.

Significance

Historic - Industrial railways - Metropolitan Gas Company Ltd, Melbourne Steam Locomotive

Inscriptions & Markings

Couillet builder's number 986, Decauville serial number 90