Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Puffing Billy Railway Menzies Creek, Victoria

The Puffing Billy Railway Collection focuses on narrow gauge railway history and associated industry equipment / artifacts primarily from Victoria but extending to the greater Australasia region collected by the PBPS and ETRB

Links

Contact Information

location
1 Old Monbulk Road Belgrave Victoria 3160 (map)
phone
+61 61 3 9757 0700

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Location

School Rd Menzies Creek Victoria

View on Google Maps

Narrow gauge railway history and associated industry equipment / artifacts primarily from Victoria but extending to the greater Australasia region.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

344 items

Great Train Race Sign

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Great Train Race Sign - Black printed ink Paper sign glued on to Masonite wood

Historical information

an original Great Train Race publicity sign - from inaugural first great train race held on 16 May 1982 ran by the Puffing Billy Preservation society to raise funds for the restoration of G42 Garratt Locomotive

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - PBRS fPublicity event sign

Inscriptions & Markings

The Great Train Race - 16 May 1982 - 13.5km Belgrave to Emerald Lake a fun run with a difference - "Race Puffing Billy " can you beat Victorias famous 76 year old train ? are you fit enough? Start 9 am at Belgrave Railway Station and enjoy a Sunday morning jog thru the scenic Dandenongs - join your family & friends at beautiful emerald lake finish - enjoy BBQ facilities & other family attractions Prizes outright winner ( not Puffing Billy ) will receive two return tickets to USA on Pan Am Team Prize the four runners with the fastest aggregate team time will each win a return air ticket to Sydney on TAA to compete in the 1982 "the Sun City to surf" Random draws of entrants will be made at 11Am for the many other valuable;e prizes - all proceeds to aid the restoration of Puffing Billy's big brother G42 PAN AM TAA Trans Australia Airlines

Axle Box Cover - Tasmanian Main Line Co.

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Axle box cover from a Tasmanian Main Line rail vehicle from 1874.

Historical information

Axle box cover from a Tasmanian Main Line Railway rail vehicle from 1874 The Tasmanian Main Line Railway Company (T.M.R.L.) was a privately owned railway company that existed in Tasmania from 1872 to 1890. The company were the first operators of rail services between Hobart and Launceston, where it connected with the Launceston and Western Railway (L.W.R.) It started construction of a 3' 6" gauge line between Hobart and Launceston in 1873 which was completed in December 1875. and was officially opened on 1 November 1876. The route of the railway was selected largely as a result of vocal local interests and accordingly traversed some reasonably unfavorable topography, particularly in the southern section. Because the TMLR had limited finances, the line was built to the narrow (1067 mm) gauge and included long sections of steep gradients and sharp curves. The final eighteen kilometres of the route from Western Junction to Launceston used the existing broad gauge alignment of the Launceston and Western Railway, with a third rail being laid for use by the narrow gauge trains A close but uncomfortable relationship with the Government was resolved in 1890 with the purchase of the company's assets by the Crown and their incorporation into the Tasmanian Government Railways on 1 October 1890.

Significance

Historic early Tasmanian Main Line Railway - Vehicle Axel Box cover

Inscriptions & Markings

T.M.L.R - 1874 -

G 42 Stack - era 1955

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

G 42 Stack - era 1955 made of cast Metal

Historical information

Constructed during the overhaul of locomotive G 42 in 1954/1955. This stack was the exhaust for the coal fired Garratt locomotive G 42 and replaced the ornate stack it had been built with by Beyer Peacock in England in 1926. The overhaul was carried out between it's last run on the Moe to Walhalla railway and prior to locomotive being placed in service, for the first time, on the Colac to Beech Forest railway line. The stack remained in use until 1962, when the locomotive was withdrawn, and was still connected to the boiler until restoration of G 42 was undertaken. Locomotive G 42, with its replica ornate stack, was restored by the Puffing Billy Preservation Society in 2004 and can be seen operating on the Puffing Billy Railway.

Significance

G 42 Stack - era 1955

Freight Vehicle Door Stop

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Wooden Freight Vehicle Door Stop

Historical information

Freight Vehicle Door Stop - one would be placed at the top of a door and another at the bottom of the door to hold the door open

Significance

Historic - Railway - Freight Vehicle Door Stop

Victorian Railways Broad Gauge model railway

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Models of Victorian Railways Broad Gauge rolling stock - Hand Made - plastic and cast metal

Historical information

Model of Victorian Railways Broad Gauge - Dalhouse Station The Models were hand made including electric motors and cast metal by Desmond Henry Ramsay over 40 years - from the age of 15 ( 1930 ) until his death in 1970. The locomotives and carriages are all replicas of Victorian Railways Broad Gauge. The Dalhouse Station and station yard were inspired by victorian railways design. This Model of Victorian Railways Broad Gauge was kindly donated to the Puffing Billy Railway Museum by the family of Desmond Henry Ramsay - Elwyn Stankiewicz - Vanessa Bourke - Roger Ward. (plaque afixed on case)

Significance

Historic - Hand made Model of Victorian Railways Broad Gauge by Desmond Henry Ramsay

Industrial Forge

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Large Industrial Forge made of cast metal and wrought iron

Historical information

Industrial Forge from unknown location may have possibly been used by Railways

Significance

Historic - Industrial Forge

Inscriptions & Markings

No markings or inscriptions

Explosives Wagon

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Wagon for carrying explosives made from Timber and steel

Historical information

This 2 foot 6 inch (762mm) gauge wagon was used for carrying explosives and was used with the Greenbat Battery loco. It was donated to the Walhalla Goldfields Railway on long term loan in 2013 along with a large quantity of narrow gauge trollies and light rail from Orica’s now closed munitions factory in Melbourne’s western suburbs. Orica - Deer Park Munitions factory Orica Deer Park in Melbourne’s west has been used since circa 1875 for various forms of manufacturing and storage of chemicals. Although the site is bounded by Ballarat Road, Station Street, Tilburn Road and the Western Ring Road, the current entry point for industrial operations is situated at Gate 6 of Tilburn Road. Operations include: • a specialty chemicals facility producing products for mining services operations • quarry services • other chemical manufacture activities. The Deer Park factory complex The factory complex is of historical significance for the major role it played in Australia's manufacturing and mining industries through the development of progressively more efficient and safer explosives. It also contributed to wartime production in ammunition, initiators and the development of synthetic ammonia production and construction of the Defence Explosives Annexe No 5 (later the Albion Explosives Factory) during World War Two. The factory complex is also of technical significance for the unusual and specialised design of many of the buildings and structures, both in the layout of the works and the individual design of buildings. Blast protection and safety measures such as mounds around the buildings, 'cleanways' and buffer zones between production areas were employed extensively. A characteristic of many production buildings was the elimination of cavities where explosive compounds could lodge. The combination of concrete barriers and light-weight construction was designed to direct explosion debris away from operators or other buildings. The narrow gauge tramway, which ran through the explosives section, is a rare survivor of nineteenth century materials-handling methods.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow Gauge Railway - Wagon for carrying Explosives at the Orica - Deer Park Munitions factory, Deer park, Victoria, Australia

Greenbat Battery Loco

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Battery Locomotive - made of iron

Historical information

Greenbat Battery Loco Built by Greenwood & Batley Ltd Builders No. 420363/2 This Greenbat Battery Loco has been loaned to the Museum by the Walhalla Goldfields Railway, who had acquired it in 2013 along with a large quantity of narrow gauge trollies and light rail from Orica’s now closed munitions factory in Melbourne’s western suburbs. The trolley on display was one of two in use from the 1970s. Orica - Deer Park Munitions factory Orica Deer Park in Melbourne’s west has been used since circa 1875 for various forms of manufacturing and storage of chemicals. Although the site is bounded by Ballarat Road, Station Street, Tilburn Road and the Western Ring Road, the current entry point for industrial operations is situated at Gate 6 off Tilburn Road. Operations include: • a specialty chemicals facility producing products for mining services operations • quarry services • other chemical manufacture activities. The Deer Park factory complex is of historical significance as the location of the first plant for the manufacture of high explosives in Australia and has been, for its entire history, the most important, if not only, commercial manufacturer of high explosives in Australia. It commenced operation under the importer Jones Scott and Co, and then the Australian Lithofracteur Company (Krebs Patent), a rival to Nobel's dynamite patent. The factory was producing nitro-glycerine based explosives in Australia only a couple of years after Nobel's Ardeer factory began operating in Scotland. The explosives factories complex is of historical significance for the association with the Australian Lithofracteur Company, Australian Explosives and Chemicals, the Nobel company and later ICIANZ, which grew to become one of the largest explosives, chemical and plastics manufacturers in Australia. It was the pioneer of the industry and retained its dominance through monopolistic practices, taking over most of its competitors in the Australasian region. Substantial parts of the pre-Second World War layout of the site remain which, with a number of significant buildings dating back to the 1920s and '30s, indicate past and present processes of manufacturing, the necessary safety measures required and the integrated nature of the explosives and chemical industry. The narrow gauge tramway, which ran through the explosives section, was a rare survivor of nineteenth century materials-handling methods into the 21st Century. Greenwood & Batley were a large engineering manufacturer with a wide range of products, including armaments, electrical engineering, and printing and milling machinery. They also produced a range of battery-electric railway locomotives under the brand name Greenbat. The works was in Armley, Leeds, UK. Greenbat was the trade name for the railway locomotives built by Greenwood & Batley. The company specialised in electric locomotives, particularly battery-powered types for use in mines and other hazardous environments.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow Gauge Railway - Battery Locomotive - Orica - Deer Park Munitions factory - Deep park, Victoria, Australia

Victorian Railways Saucer Plate

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Ceramic Victorian Railways Saucer Plate - Red & White

Historical information

Victorian Railways Saucer Plate - Red & White Supplier to Victorian railways : Loftus Moran, Melbourne: Mr Loftus Henry Moran was well known in the tea trade. Originally employed by Griffiths Bros Ltd, he started his own business, Loftus Moran Pty Ltd, in 1909 In 1913 he purchased the tea business of McIntyre Bros, and later, that of Steele Bros, and absorbed them in his own company. He had a wide business connection among hotels and guest houses for supplying crockery and other supplies. Ref: DEATH OF MR LOFTUS MORAN (1944, May 27). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), p. 4. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11809686 1st Advertisement of the Plates in the papers: CHIPPED CROCKERY. Nothing is more objectionable than chipped crockery--besides its use is illegal. DURALINE Plates, manufactured by The Grindley Hotel Ware Co., are tough as raw-hide. This is why they are used by practically every hotel and institution in Australia. Obtainable only from LOFTUS MORAN PTY. LTD., Hotel Supply Specialists, 131 Queen's Bridge Street, Melbourne South Advertising (29 March 1933, ). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. ), p. 7. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4726734

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Refreashment Services crockery - plate

Inscriptions & Markings

Victorian Railways ( in Red on fount of plate ) "DURALINE" ( in Black on back of plate ) super Vitrified GRINDLEY HotelWare Co England Loftus Moran Pty Ld Melbourne 5 -54

Bread Plate - Victorian Railways Black & White

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

ceramic Victorian Railways Bread Plate - Black & White

Historical information

Victorian Railways Bread Plate - Black & White Maker : W H Grindley & Co (Ltd) Earthenware manufacturer at the Newfield Pottery and then the Woodfield Pottery, Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent The company was founded at the Newfield Pottery in 1880 by William Harry Grindley (princliple partner) and Mr Turner (the '& Co.') They produced Earthenware and Ironstone China - particularly for the Canadian, United States, South American and Australian markets. In 1891 the company moved to the Woodfield Pottery, Woodland Street, Tunstall. In 1960 the business was purchased by Alfred Clough Ltd. In 1978 renamed Grindley of Stoke (ceramics) Ltd. Federated Potteries Co. Ltd. took them over in 1982 and in 1988 the business was re-purchase by W. H. Grindley. 1991 saw the company in the hands of the receivers. and the same year they were taken over by Woodlands Pottery. DURALINE (trade mark) printed mark used by Grindley Hotel Ware Co Ltd c.1930's onwards The Number i.e "6-53" = "month-year" Supplier to Victorian railways : Loftus Moran, Melbourne: Mr Loftus Henry Moran was well known in the tea trade. Originally employed by Griffiths Bros Ltd, he started his own business, Loftus Moran Pty Ltd, in 1909 In 1913 he purchased the tea business of Mcintyre Bros, and later' that of Steele Bros, and absorbed them in his own company. He had a wide business connection among hotels and guest houses for supplying crockery and other supplies. Ref: DEATH OF MR LOFTUS MORAN (1944, May 27). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), p. 4. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11809686 1st Advertisement of the Plates in the papers: CHIPPED CROCKERY. Nothing is more objectionable than chipped crockery--besides its use is illegal. DURALINE Plates, manufactured by The Grindley Hotel Ware Co., are tough as raw-hide. This is why they are used by practically every hotel and institution in Australia. Obtainable only from LOFTUS MORAN PTY. LTD., Hotel Supply Specialists, 131 Queen's Bridge Street, Melbourne South Advertising (29 March 1933, ). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. ), p. 7. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4726734

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Refreashment Services crockery - plate

Inscriptions & Markings

Victorian Railways ( in black on fount of plate ) "DURALINE" ( in Black on back of plate ) super Vitrified GRINDLEY HotelWare Co England Loftus Moran Pty Ld Melbourne 8 -53

Puffing Billy Coffee Mug Lakeside Reopening October 1975

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Ceramic Puffing Billy Coffee Mug Lakeside Reopening October 1975

Historical information

Puffing Billy Railway - Commemorative Coffee Mug - Lakeside Reopening October 1975

Significance

Puffing Billy Railway - Commemorative Coffee Mug - Lakeside Reopening October 1975

Inscriptions & Markings

Puffing Billy Lakeside Reopening October 1975

Horse drawn scoop from Hermon’s nursery

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Horse drawn scoop from Hermon’s nursery made of Metal

Historical information

Metal Horse drawn scoop from Hermon’s nursery at Menzies Creek. The Land on which the Menzies Creek railway station and Museum are built on was once apart of James Hermon's & his son William Hermon's property on which Horse drawn scoops of this type would have been used.

Significance

Historic - industrial Farm equipment used on the farm of James Hermon & his son William Hermon on which the museum is built

Climax Loco - Original Headlight

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Original Climax Loco Headlight Lamp made of metal

Historical information

Original Climax Loco Headlight Lamp made by the Star Lamp company THE HISTORY OF STAR HEADLIGHT & LANTERN COMPANY 1889: On April 20 of 1889, "Star Headlight Company" formed. The company is located on Allen Street in the city of Rochester, New York. There were five original investors. The original founders were Elias C. Glazier, George L. Estes, Allen D. Close, James H. Crouch and George S. Riley. 1914: Name of company changes to "Star Head Light & Lantern Company." 1915: Star Head Light & Lantern Company catalog now lists more than 100 versions lamps and lanterns.

Significance

Historic - Industrial railway - Forests Commission of Victoria, Timber Logging Climax Locomotive Headlight Lamp

Emerald Tourist Railway Board 1977 - 2017 40 Years - Locomotive Head Board

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Locomotive Head Board - Emerald Tourist Railway Board 1977 - 2017 40 Years Circular steel sheet with vinyl stickers.

Historical information

Locomotive Head Board - Emerald Tourist Railway Board 1977 - 2017 40 Years Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Locomotive Head Board used in the Celebration of Emerald Tourist Railway Board 1977 - 2017 40 Years EMERALD TOURIST RAILWAY BOARD 1st October 1977 - 1st October 2017 Today marks the 40th anniversary of when the Emerald Tourist Railway Board took over the ownership of Puffing Billy from the Victorian Railways. Since then Puffing Billy has gone from strength to strength with the last few years seeing a huge increase in passenger numbers. A major investment over the next ten years will see a number of infrastructure projects being completed. A new (restored) locomotive and extra carriages will come into play and hopefully soon, the reopening of Puffing Billy's museum at Menzies Creek. Puffing Billy has been around since 1900. With a minor hiccup in the 1950s and the rebuilding of the railway from Belgrave from the late 1950s to the early 1960s and onwards, the preserved heritage steam railway will hopefully continue to operate for many generations to come. This photo was taken early this morning. The required loco's for the day were still being prepared and all shunting movements had been completed. The first of many passengers were just starting to arrive. Photo & Info : Robert Smith : Past 2 Present A gleaming NA locomotive 14A had the honour of hauling the first E.T.R.B. train while 7A had the last train by the Victorian Railways, both on the 1st October 1977. 7A left Belgrave at 11.10am for Lakeside and 14A left Belgrave at 2.10pm.This train also to Lakeside included the ex Mt Lyell carriage NBL1 for the conveyance of the official party. Both loco's are still operating today. Photo: John E. Thompson (NG #67)

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Locomotive Head Board used in the Celebration of Emerald Tourist Railway Board 1977 - 2017 40 Years

Inscriptions & Markings

Emerald Tourist Railway Board 1977 - 2017 40 Years

1920's Station Cash Box Tin - Hobbs & Co London

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

1920's Station Cash Box Tin - Hobbs & Co London Metal Tin - painted Black, Gold and Red with Brass Lock and Handle

Historical information

1920's Station Cash Box Tin Made by Hobbs & Co London Lever Machine Made Alfred Charles Hobbs (October 7, 1812 – November 6, 1891) was an American locksmith and inventor. Hobbs went to London as a representative of the New York company of Day & Newell, which was exhibiting at the Great Exhibition of 1851. Hobbs had brought with him his boss's (Robert Newell) Parautoptic lock, designed to compete with, and surpass, the locks available at the time in Britain. He was the first one to pick Bramah's lock and the Chubb detector lock at the Great Exhibition of 1851 and forced the lock manufacturers to improve their designs. The lock controversy continues a subject of great interest at the Crystal Palace, and, indeed, is now become of general importance. We believed before the Exhibition opened that we had the best locks in the world, and among us Bramah and Chubb were reckoned quite as impregnable as Gibraltar— more so, indeed, for the key to the Mediterranean was taken by us, but none among us could penetrate into the locks and shoot the bolts of these masters. The mechanical spirit, however, is never at rest, and if it is lulled into a false state of listlessness in one branch of industry, and in one part of the world, elsewhere it springs up suddenly to admonish and reproach us with our supineness. Our descendents on the other side of the water are every now and then administering to the mother country a wholesome filial lesson upon this very text, and recently they have been "rubbing us up" with a severity which perhaps we merited for sneering at their shortcomings in the Exhibition. In 1854 he was awarded a Telford Medal by the Institution of Civil Engineers for his paper 'On the Principles and Construction of Locks'. Sign on a strong room door. Hobbs became one of the founders of the lock making firm of Hobbs Hart & Co. Ltd. The company started in 1851 and was formally registered as Hobbs and Co. in 1852. But by 1855 it had become Hobbs, Ashley and Company. The name then changed to Hobbs, Ashley and Fortescue, with an address at 97 Cheapside in London. Then for the next ninety years the address was 76 Cheapside in London. In 1860 Hobbs returned to America and lived in Bridgeport, Connecticut, and went on to hold a dozen patents for firearm ammunition manufacturing. In 1880 he listed himself as a "Superintendent Of Cartridge Factory" Info from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Charles_Hobbs

Significance

Historic - Railways - Station Cash Box Tin

Inscriptions & Markings

Hobbs & Co London Lever Machine Made

Gang Shed

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Gang Shed constructed of timber and corrugated iron

Historical information

Gang Shed Ganger may refer to: The head of a gang of labourers, especially on canals or railways. They were Men who had the job of track maintenance repair and upkeep or construction for sections of the lines. Gang Sheds were used to keep their tools and equipment and Trolleys in. The shed houses and protects the historic trolley and tool collection within.

Significance

loose based replica Victorian Railways gang shed, permanent way building.

Victorian Railways Fuel Can for Trolly

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

V.R Fuel Can for Trolly - Metal Fuel Tin

Historical information

V.R Fuel Can for Trolley - Victorian Railways Fuel Can for Trolly Motor Spirit Highly Inflammable Transporting Tin Container "Motor Spirit" is just another name for petrol. "K" and the "KS" Kasey Trolleys were two stroke petrol motors Operation, Care and Maintenance of Track Motors Victorian Railways, 1959 http://www.geoffsrailpix.com/Documents/Motors.pdf gives the following : Inspection motor type B, - straight petrol Inspection motor type V, - pre-mixed petrol Motorised tricycle type M.T., - pre-mixed petrol Gang motor type K.S., - pre-mixed petrol Gang motor type K - pre-mixed petrol Motor cars altered for rail uses (Wiki) Petrol Inspection Car This was a small car numbered '1' and named the Inspection Car. It was built in England in 1923, but was not found in the 1936 stocktake. Gang Motor The eight-horsepower Gang Motor held five people, and was built at Arden Street in late 1923. In 1950 the vehicle was removed from the rolling stock register and given to "Way and Works" as a track motor. Motor Car The Motor Car was put into service in mid 1925, after being fitted with rail wheels in lieu of tyres. In 1927 the car was named "Mr Molomby's Inspection Car", and allocated to Seymour. It was scrapped in 1952. Dodge Cars There were seven Dodge cars in rail service. The cars were numbered 1 to 6, with car 7 listed "No 7 Repair". The cars were built by the Dodge Company of Melbourne and assembled at Newport. Construction was in 1925 and they lasted until 1949.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Permanent Way and Works - track equipment - V.R Fuel Can for Trolley

Inscriptions & Markings

Motor Spirit Highly Flammable V.R 8 ?

Tin Traveling Trunk

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Tin Traveling Trunk

Historical information

Tin Traveling Trunk

Significance

Historic - Passenger Traveling Luggage - Tin Traveling Trunk

S & G Dairymaster Milk Urn

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Metal Milk Urn

Historical information

S & G Dairymaster Milk Urn

Significance

Historic - Farming - S & G Dairymaster Milk Urn

Inscriptions & Markings

S & G Dairymaster

Refreshment Services Milk Urn

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Metal Milk Urn - steel

Historical information

Refreshment Services Milk Urn

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Refreshment Services Milk Urn

Inscriptions & Markings

Refreshment Services

Puffing Billy Memorial Wine Glass - Return to Gembrook 1900 - 1998

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Puffing Billy Memorial Wine Glass - Return to Gembrook 1900 - 1998 Made of Glass with gold edged rim Has Black Logo design and writing

Historical information

Puffing Billy Memorial Wine Glass - Return to Gembrook 1900 - 1998

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - Commemorative Wine glass

Inscriptions & Markings

Puffing Billy Return to Gembrook 1900 - 1998

D.C.E. - 1916

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

D.C.E. 1916 - made of wood with metal fittings - function unknown

Historical information

D.C.E. 1916 - made of wood with metal fittings - function unknown

Significance

Historic - old equipment - function unknown

Inscriptions & Markings

D.C.E. 1916 E

Puffing Billy Centenary Port - 100 Years - PBPS Fund raiser item

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Puffing Billy Centenary Port - 100 Years - PBRS Fund raiser item Green Glass Bottle Yellow painted on Writing and logo Cork with black plastic top

Historical information

Puffing Billy Centenary Port - 100 Years - PBPS Fund raiser item Puffing Billy Centenary Port Puffing Billy 18 December 1900 - 18 December 2000 - 100 Years - This special bottling of fine port commemorates the Centenary of the Upper Ferntree Gully to Gembrook railway , home of Australia's world famous Puffing Billy 750 ml

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - PBRS Fund raiser item - Centenary Port - 100 Years

Inscriptions & Markings

Puffing Billy Centenary Port Puffing Billy 18 December 1900 - 18 December 2000 - 100 Years - This special bottling of fine port commemorates the Centenary of the Upper Ferntree Gully to Gembrook railway , home of Australia's world famous Puffing Billy 750 ml

Gembrook Restoration Oil Lantern - PBPS fund raiser item

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Gembrook Restoration Oil Lantern - PBRS fund raiser item Made of Pottery and metal and glass

Historical information

Gembrook Restoration Oil Lantern - PBRS fund raiser item Gembrook Restoration Puffing Billy Railway Sunset Ceramics Australia on the base

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - PBRS Fund raiser item - Gembrook Restoration Oil Lantern

Inscriptions & Markings

Gembrook Restoration Puffing Billy Railway Sunset Ceramics Australia on the base

Coffee Mug - 100 Years - PBPS fund raising item

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Coffee Mug - 100 Years - PBRS fund raiser item made of Ceramic - glazed pink with gold writing and design

Historical information

Coffee Mug - 100 Years - PBRS fund raiser item

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - PBRS Fund raiser item - Coffee Mug

Inscriptions & Markings

100 Years

Puffing Billy Shot Glass - PBPS fund raising item

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Puffing Billy Shot Glass - PBRS fund raiser item

Historical information

Puffing Billy Shot Glass - PBRS fund raiser item

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - PBPS Fund raising item - Shot Glass

Two 20th Great Train Race Medals - unissued - 29 April 2001 - 100 years

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Two 20th Great Race Medals - unissued - 29 April 2001 - 100 years Made of Metal with raised design and lettering on Green ribbion

Historical information

Two 20th Great Race Medals - unissued - 29 April 2001 - 100 years 18 December 1900 - 18 December 2000 100 Years 29 April 2001 Proudly sponsored by Connex 20th Great Train Race

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - Great Race Medals 2001

Inscriptions & Markings

Puffing Billy 18 December 1900 - 18 December 2000 100 Years 29 April 2001 Proudly sponsored by Connex 20th Great Train Race

Leather belt splicer

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Leather belt splicer - Leather splicer made of Timber base with a steel wedge and leather lead in

Historical information

Leather Splitter Used for splicing leather drive belts

Significance

Historic - Leather working Equipment - Leather Splitter

New South Wales Triangle Tail Disk - end of train

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

metal Triangle Tail Disk - end of train

Historical information

New South Wales Triangle Tail Disk - end of train a triangular disk was a goods train running "as required", New South Wales Triangle Tail Disk - end of train To identify the end of a train in New South Wales a triangle metal disk painted white was used. The Victorian Railways used a round disk. Referred to as a Tail Disk, it advised a Signal Man or another railway staff member that the train was complete. In the old days, before continuous (through the train) braking was introduced, if a coupling between the wagons was to break, a train may in some case proceed leaving the rear portion behind on the track. This could create a problem with the following train colliding with the rear portion, or in some cases the rear section of the train running away in the reverse direction creating high speeds and unsafe passing over level crossings or colliding at speed with a following train. Once it was identified that the train was not complete, the front portion of the train would be brought to a halt and investigations undertaken into the whereabouts of the rear portion. With the introduction of air brakes, the possibility of trains separating, was eased, though it was still possible. Today better training and advancements in technology has seen trains dividing en-route become non-existant.

Significance

Historic - NSW Railways - Triangle Tail Disk - end of train

sickle knife Guard bar - for an old horse drawn mower

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Metal - wrought iron sickle knife Guard bar for an old horse drawn mower

Historical information

Metal sickle knife Guard bar for an old horse drawn mower

Significance

Historic - Farming Equipment - sickle knife Guard bar