Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Puffing Billy Railway Menzies Creek, Victoria

The Puffing Billy Railway Collection focuses on narrow gauge railway history and associated industry equipment / artifacts primarily from Victoria but extending to the greater Australasia region collected by the PBPS and ETRB

Links

Contact Information

location
1 Old Monbulk Road Belgrave Victoria 3160 (map)
phone
+61 61 3 9757 0700

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Location

School Rd Menzies Creek Victoria

View on Google Maps

Narrow gauge railway history and associated industry equipment / artifacts primarily from Victoria but extending to the greater Australasia region.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

344 items

Hand Rail Drill

Key words

puffing billy
hand rail drill

Hand Rail Drill made of metal

Historical information

Hand Rail Drill Out on the track in the old days, it was sometimes required to drill some holes in a piece of rail so that two rails may be joined together by a metal joiner – called a fishplate. Before the use of generators and oxy cutting, the only way to do this was with a hand drill. This is the machine operated by two people, that would drill a hole in the rail. With two to three holes to be drilled in each rail end (ie 4 or 6 holes), it was a tiring, back breaking job. And then there was usually the rail on the other side of the track to be done!

Significance

Historic - Railways Permanent Way and Works - track equipment - Hand Rail Drill

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Brick Skip - Four Wheel Brick Skip

Key words

puffing billy
fritsch, holzer & company
brick skip
fritsch, holzer & company brickworks
pressed red brick

two Wooden skips with steel wheels

Historical information

Typical of many small four wheel skips constructed to transport raw bricks from the moulding press to the kilns for firing.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow gauge railway - Fritsch, Holzer & Company Brick works, Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia

Inscriptions & Markings

"JF 12" & "SB 34"

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Carriage Sign - Milk Advertising

Key words

nbh
puffing billy
milk
advertising

Carriage Sign - Milk Advertising Hand painted masonite sign.

Historical information

Advertising fitted to NBH carriages.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - Carriage Sign - Milk Advertising fitted to NBH carriages.

Inscriptions & Markings

Drinka Pinta Milka day Milk's a marvellous drink

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Puffing Billy Memorial Wine Glass - Return to Gembrook 1900 - 1998

Key words

puffing billy memorial wine glass - return to gembrook 1900 - 1998

Puffing Billy Memorial Wine Glass - Return to Gembrook 1900 - 1998 Made of Glass with gold edged rim Has Black Logo design and writing

Historical information

Puffing Billy Memorial Wine Glass - Return to Gembrook 1900 - 1998

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - Commemorative Wine glass

Inscriptions & Markings

Puffing Billy Return to Gembrook 1900 - 1998

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Saw Bench - New Record Saw Bench

Key words

saw bench
puffing billy
new record
internal combustioin
westinghouse rosebery pty.ltd.
rosebery pty
internal combustion engine.

Timber framed with steel wheels, belt driven saw blade powered by a Rosbery internal combustion engine.

Historical information

Saw Bench - New Record Saw Bench Timber framed with steel wheels, belt driven saw blade powered by a Rosbery internal combustion engine. The Rosebery Engine No C28437 R.P.M 800 H.P. 6 Manufactured By Westinghouse Rosebery Pty.Ltd. Sydney Rosebery Engine Works Ltd began as the engine and pump manufacturing division of Buzacott & Company, and in 1923 became an incorporated company. In 1935, Westinghouse gave Rosebery Engine Works the right to manufacture and sell nearly all Westinghouse products. The name of the company then changed to Westinghouse Rosebery Ltd From the late nineteenth century, petrol engines gradually supplanted steam engines for running a wide range of machines, and in turn petrol engines were largely supplanted by electric motors. The Champion was a successful small petrol engine made by the large Sydney company, Westinghouse Rosebery, based on the American-designed Fuller and Johnson engine. With hopper cooling and a fuel tank between the skids, and weighing only 240 pounds (109 kg), it was easy to mount on wheeled transport, making the Champion a self-contained mobile source of power. Engines of this type were used in rural areas for driving chaff cutters, small saw benches, pumps and orchard sprayers. These engines were also commonly used in both rural and urban areas for powering concrete mixers. Both Westinghouse Rosebery in NSW and Toowoomba Foundry in Queensland made these engines in large quantities, beginning in the 1920s when tariff protection made local manufacturing viable. The production of small petrol engines continued in Australia until the 1970s, when reduced tariff protection led to increased competition from cheaper imported engines.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Timber working - belt driven saw blade powered by a Rosbery internal combustion engine.

Inscriptions & Markings

The Rosebery Engine No c28437 R.P.M 800 H.P. 6 Manufactured By Westinghouse Rosebery Pty.ltd. Sydney

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

29 NQR - Open Medium Truck with drop ends

Key words

puffing billy railway, pbr, rolling stock , 29 nqr
narrow gauge rolling stock
victorian railways
nqr wagon

29 NQR narrow gauge Open Medium Truck with drop ends made of Steel and metal

Historical information

The NQRs were the standard Medium open goods wagon. Generally the sides and ends were removable thus providing a totally flat truck. Three long drop-down doors formed the sides thus allowing easy loading and unloading. 218 of these goods vehicles were built between 1898 and 1914 ? numbered 1 - 218​. Originally, these wagons carried the code letter R​ as they were built with sides and ends. They later had the R removed. Unlike the Broad Gauge, VR's 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) narrow gauge network never had four-wheeled wagons (aside from a handful of trolleys). Because of this, a single design of open wagon emerged and this was the only type of wagon ever used on these lines. This was the NQR class, a wagon with the same length and loading capacity as a Broad Gauge four-wheeled open wagon to make transferring freight between the gauges easier. The wagons, numbered 1 through 218, were built between 1898 and 1914. The wagons used the same underframe as most other non-locomotives on the VR Narrow Gauge. Letters and numbers were originally painted only on the end bulkheads and doors, both of which could be removed as traffic dictated, and this made wagon identification difficult until the decals were transferred to the underframes of each wagon In the 1910s some NQRs were provided with removable wood and steel frameworks with canvas roof canopies and side curtains, and internal seating to supplement the rest of the passenger stock during busy holiday periods. Puffing Billy has re-created these for emergency capacity. Five more NQRs, numbered 219-223​, were built between 1990 and 1992 initially for passenger use so were fitted with the removable frames Vehicle Length 25 feet 2 inches ( 7671 mm) Coupled Length 27 feet 4 inches (8330 mm) Width 6 feet 3 inches (1905 mm) Weight 5 tons Capacity 11 tons Built 1898 - 1915 (1992) Number Built 218 (223) In use 14 To be restored 6 29 NQR - Open Medium Truck with drop ends VR Service History 15/12/1898 NWS Built new *NQR 29.VA - 15/12/1898 NWS Built new - / /1926 - To NQ 29.VA - NQ 29.VA - /10/1954 - Sold (to) - Puffing Billy Service History or Notes July 2016 - Lifted

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock - NQR Open Medium Truck with drop ends

Inscriptions & Markings

29NQR

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Rail Turning Bar

Key words

puffing billy
rail turning bar

Rail Turning Bar made from cast wrought iron

Historical information

Rail Turning Bar Rail is heavy, sometimes as much as 120 lbs per yard. To assist in being able to move rail, a special turning bar was developed. Usually a long handle, on one end various features in the head allow rail to be moved

Significance

Historic - Railway Permanent Way and Works - track equipment - Rail Turning Bar

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

11 NBHC - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car and Guard's Van

Key words

puffing billy, pbr, rolling stock , 11 nbhc
victorian railways
passenger carriage - excursion car and guard's van
11nbh

11 NBHC - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car and Guard's Van made of wrought iron and timber

Historical information

11NBHC Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car and Guard's Van Excursion Car 11 NBH which has been converted by the addition of a Guard's Van compartment by Puffing Billy Railway and re classed & numbered 11 NBHC The NBHC is a conversion from the standard NBH. This was a temporary, but long term, conversion to overcome lack of suitable guard's vans on the Puffing Billy railway. One end of a standard NBH had windows and a hand brake fitted. A padded seat replaced the standard back to back seating, and a partition separated the guard from the passenger compartment. VR Service History *NBH 11.VA - 8/12/1919 NWS Built new - / 1/1929 - Modified AC Malco BO circa 1955 - Condemned - Puffing Billy Service History or Notes Body Length 25 feet 2 inches ( 7671 mm) Coupled Length 27 feet 4 inches (8330 mm) Width 6 feet 3 inches (1905 mm) Height 9 feet 2 inches (2794 mm) Weight 8 tons Capacity 22 passengers Number Built 1 In use 1

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car 11 NBH which has been converted by the addition of a Guard's Van compartment by Puffing Billy Railway and re classed & numbered 11 NBHC

Inscriptions & Markings

11NBHC

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

8 NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car

Key words

puffing billy
victorian railways
8 nbh
passenger carriage
excursion car
narrow gauge

8NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car made of steel and timber

Historical information

8 NBH - Excursion Car (28) In Active Service - Belgrave Station Yard 8NBH - Excursion carriage 8NBH at Emerald. This car has been restored to original condition with white canvas weather blinds,Full lenght side steps, timber toung and groove boards,coupling centering springs and some pinch gas lighting equipment. NBH SECOND-CLASS EXCURSION CAR. The H was recognising their use for "Holiday" traffic. 15 of these cars were built in 1919 and numbered 1-15. Two more were built in 1981, and numbered 16 & 17. Two extended versions for wheelchair passengers were built in 1981 & 1983. These were numbered 51 & 52 - a separate number series due to the different type of vehicle. Six, numbered 18-23, were built in 1997-98. These had steel frames, padded seats, and a wide "window sill". At first glance they look the same as the previous NBHs. There are other minor construction differences due to the use of steel framing. 18NBH entered traffic 19/4/1997; 19NBH on 5/12/1997; 20NBH on 19/12/1997, the others added in 1998. VR Service History : *NBH 8.VA - 8/12/1919 NWS Built new - / 1/1929 - Modified AC Malco BO circa 1955 - Condemned

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Excursion Car

Inscriptions & Markings

8NBH

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Day's Petrol Rail Tractor - Petrol Rail Tractor Gauge 2'0"

Key words

puffing billy
industrial narrow gauge railway
rail tractor
days engineering
cheetham salt,
petrol rail tractor

Petrol Rail Tractor made of Iron , wrought iron, steel

Historical information

Rail tractors were popular with Victorian sawmillers. They were generally cheaper than a steam locomotive, required no special qualifications to drive, and used proven power plants for which spares were available locally. The tractor was constructed by Day’s Engineering of South Melbourne which, although better known for its pumping equipment, built more than fifty rail tractors for Victorian sawmillers and other industrial tramway users. W. Day & Sons is believed to have constructed its first light railway locomotive in 1926. From then until the mid 1940s, the firm appears to have built at least fifty locomotives at its premises in South Melbourne, of which roughly half were four-wheel locomotives and roughly half were six-wheel locomotives like the restored Day’s rail tractor formerly operated by Ruoak Timbers. Of the four-wheel locomotives, ten were 2-ft (610mm) gauge locomotives similar to this one. Today, only two survive, a complete example at the Puffing Billy Railway Museum at Menzies Creek, and one at Alexandra Timber Tramway Museum This 2-ft gauge 4wPM locomotive is believed to have been one of two Day's Petrol Rail tractors formerly used by Cheetham Salt, possibly at the Moolap works near Geelong. Service History :owned by Cheetham Salt, Moolap ( dates unknown ) Geelong Steam Preservation Society , Belmont 1973 ? Puffing Billy Steam Museum , Menzies Creek

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow gauge Railway - Rail Tractor used by Cheetham Salt Company works at Laverton, Moolap and Geelong, Victoria , Australia

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Munro Engineers Pty Ltd, Handilift Stacker & Loader

Key words

puffing billy
munro engineers
handilift stacker & loader
hermon
menzies creek

Munro Engineers Pty Ltd, Handilift Stacker & Loader made of steel and wood and wrought iron

Historical information

Munro Engineers Pty Ltd, Handilift Stacker & Loader' The Land on which the Menzies Creek railway station and Museum are built on was once apart of James Hermon's & his son William Hermon's property on which this Munro Handilift Stacker & Loader was used.

Significance

Historic -Industrial Tool - Handilift Stacker & Loader - used on Jame's Hermon's property on which the Menzies Creek Railway is built on

Inscriptions & Markings

Munro Engineers Pty ( symbol map of Australia ) Ltd, Ballarat Vic. On side - No. 3147 On wheel - no, 2052

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Ganger's gas Lamp - victorian railways track Ganger's gas Lamp

Key words

puffing billy
victorian railways
ganger's lamp

made of metal, brass and glass

Historical information

vaporizing kerosene gas lamps of this type were used by track gangers to facilitate night works.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Permanent Way and Works - track equipment - Ganger's Lamp

Inscriptions & Markings

V.R ( and Arrow symbol ) AL 14

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Carriage Sign - Puffing Billy Museum Advertising

Key words

puffing billy
puffing billy museum
carriage sign

Carriage Sign - Puffing Billy Museum Advertising metal sign

Historical information

Carriage Sign - Puffing Billy Museum Advertising This board was used to advertise the Menzies Creek Museum after it opened in 1970. This particular sign was displayed inside, on the end of the Puffing Billy NBH type carriages.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - Carriage Sign - Puffing Billy Museum Advertising fitted to NBH carriages.

Inscriptions & Markings

Visit the Puffing Billy Steam Museum you can see - Steam Locomotives - Working Exhibits - Early Rolling Stock - Souvenirs available the museum is located at Menzies Creek & opens every Sunday 11am to 5pm

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

13 NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car

Key words

puffing billy railway, pbr, rolling stock , 13nbh, victorian railways narrow gauge - passenger rolling stock,, victorian railways, nbh - excursion car,

13 NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car

Historical information

13NBH - Excursion Car NBH SECOND-CLASS EXCURSION CAR. The H was recognising their use for "Holiday" traffic. 15 of these cars were built in 1919 and numbered 1-15. Two more were built in 1981, and numbered 16 & 17. Two extended versions for wheelchair passengers were built in 1981 & 1983. These were numbered 51 & 52 - a separate number series due to the different type of vehicle. Six, numbered 18-23, were built in 1997-98. These had steel frames, padded seats, and a wide "window sill". At first glance they look the same as the previous NBHs. There are other minor construction differences due to the use of steel framing. 18NBH entered traffic 19/4/1997; 19NBH on 5/12/1997; 20NBH on 19/12/1997, the others added in 1998. VR Service History : 8/12/1919 NWS Built new VR Service History *NBH 13.VA - 8/12/1919 NWS Built new - / 4/1928 - Modified AC Malco BO circa 1955 - Condemned - Puffing Billy Service History or Notes 8 Dec 1919 - Nos 7 to 15 NBH (new) delivered to UPPER FERN TREE GULLY after this date.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Excursion Car

Inscriptions & Markings

13NBH

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Builders Plate - Replica Victorian Railways Builders Plate

Key words

puffing billy
builders plate
moe
walhalla
7a
9a

Replica Victorian Railways Builders Plate Made from cast aluminium with blue and white paint.

Historical information

Produced for the running of locomotive 7A, dressed as 9A on the Thomson to Walhalla portion of the Moe to Walhalla narrow gauge railway for the Moe to Walhalla railway centenary in 2010. Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - Replica Victorian Railways Builders Plate

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - Replica Victorian Railways Builders Plate

Inscriptions & Markings

Manufactured at the V R Newport workshops 1910

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Young Sun 2014 Special Sign - Young Sun Special Sign 1954 to 2014

Key words

young sun
head board
puffing billy
newspaper

Locomotive Head Board - Young Sun Special Sign 1954 to 2014 Small Head Board Hand painted steel head board (sign)Yellow background, black words with a rooster in the middle

Historical information

Constructed for 50 year anniversary of the Young Sun newspaper special trains that ran between Upper Ferntree Gully and Belgrave in 1954. In 1954, special trains sponsored by The Sun newspaper, were run to farewell Puffing Billy. They became the catalyst for the creation of the Puffing Billy Preservation Society, and are the reason we still have the railway today. 60th Anniversary of the First Puffing Billy Young Sun Special - On Saturday, 13 December, 2014, the Puffing Billy Young Volunteers Representatives Team celebrated 60 years (plus two days) since the first Young Sun Special. Locomotive 14A was transformed onto '3A' for the day and it as '3A' that hauled the Recreation Train to Emerald Town Station

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Locomotive Head Board - used in the Celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Young Sun special train

Inscriptions & Markings

Young Sun 1954 to 2014 Special

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

C2N Type Trolley - Victorian Railways Gauge 2'6" Trolley

Key words

c2n
trolley
victorian railways
hand power
narrow gauge
puffing billy

C2N Type Trolley - Victorian Railways Gauge 2'6" Trolley Has a flat piece of wood that you would stand on with four metal wheels, one under each corner.

Historical information

This type of trolley is known to date from prior to 1910 and were in use before petrol engines were used to transport workmen along the railway lines. The exhibit was located at Colac in 1961, after being used on the Colac to Beech Forest and Crowes narrow gauge railway. This type of trolley was built in two versions; one for the Victorian Railways broad gauge lines, and one for the narrow gauge lines.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways narrow gauge - track work vehicle. This vehicle was used in the days before petrol engines were used to drive vehicles transporting workmen along the railway line.

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

21 NBHC - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car for wheelchairs and Guard's Van

Key words

puffing billy, pbr, rolling stock, 21 nbhc

21 NBHC Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car - specially modified for Wheelchair access allowing it to carry wheelchairs and to have a Guard's Van compartment. made of wrought iron and timber

Historical information

21 NBHC built as 21 NBH. It was converted by the addition of a Guard's Van compartment and modified for Wheelchairs access by Puffing Billy Railway and re classed & numbered 21NBHC Puffing Billy Service History or Notes Between 1997 and 1998 the Puffing Billy railway built six more NBHs, numbered 18-23. These had steel frames, padded seats, and a wide "window sill". At first glance they look the same as the previous NBHs. There are other minor construction differences due to the use of steel framing. 21NBH entered traffic in 1998. The photo on the right shows the exterior of one such NBH. These have a seating capacity of 24 passengers. April 2016 - In for a lift, roller bearings replaced with standard bearings

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Excursion Car 21 NBH which has been converted by the addition of a Guard's Van compartment and modified for Wheelchairs access by Puffing Billy Railway and re classed & numbered 21NBHC

Inscriptions & Markings

21NBHC

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Victorian Railways Broad Gauge model railway

Key words

puffing billy
victorian railways
model railway
o scale
desmond henry ramsay

Models of Victorian Railways Broad Gauge rolling stock - Hand Made - plastic and cast metal

Historical information

Model of Victorian Railways Broad Gauge - Dalhouse Station The Models were hand made including electric motors and cast metal by Desmond Henry Ramsay over 40 years - from the age of 15 ( 1930 ) until his death in 1970. The locomotives and carriages are all replicas of Victorian Railways Broad Gauge. The Dalhouse Station and station yard were inspired by victorian railways design. This Model of Victorian Railways Broad Gauge was kindly donated to the Puffing Billy Railway Museum by the family of Desmond Henry Ramsay - Elwyn Stankiewicz - Vanessa Bourke - Roger Ward. (plaque afixed on case)

Significance

Historic - Hand made Model of Victorian Railways Broad Gauge by Desmond Henry Ramsay

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

2NBC - Combined Second-Class Passenger Car And Guard's Van.

Key words

puffing billy
2nbc
2nbc - combined second-class passenger car and guard's van
victorian railways
narrow gauge passenger and guard's van rolling stock
2'6" guage

2NBC - Combined Second-Class Passenger Car And Guard's Van. - Made of Timber on a Wrought iron frame 2NBC - 1 compartment and van (7 & 4 ton capacity)

Historical information

Van 2NBC - 1 compartment and van (7 & 4 ton capacity) In Active Service - Belgrave Station Yard NBC COMBINED SECOND-CLASS PASSENGER CAR AND GUARD'S VAN. Six cars, numbered 1-6, were built during 1898-1905 and originally classed NBDBD. The D was previously the letter code for Brakevans/Guard's Vans, but was changed to C when the double-letter code was dropped in 1910. A final NBC numbered 7 was added to the fleet in 1910. VR Service History : NBDBD 2.VA - 3/10/1899 NCL Built new - circa 1900 - Photograph R101: as N2BDBD circa 1910 - To NBC 2.VA - *NBC 2.VA - / 5/1926 - Modified AC Malco circa 1955 - Condemned -

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Passenger and Guard's Van carriage Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H2187 The Puffing Billy Rolling Stock Collection

Inscriptions & Markings

2NBC

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Peckett - 1711 Peckett Steam Locomotive

Key words

peckett “sir john grice”
1711 peckett
puffing billy
steam locomotive
industrial narrow gauge railway
metropolitan gas coy., west melbourne

Steam Locomotive made of steel, wrought iron

Historical information

Steam Locomotive - 1711 Peckett “Sir John Grice” Date built - 1926 Locomotive type ; Cranmore Original owner - Metropolitan Gas Coy., West Melbourne Original gauge - 762mm Withdrawn - 1941 Next owner - Whistle Stop Amusement Park, Frankston Built in 1926 for the West Melbourne site of the Metropolitan Gas Company, and issued to traffic the same year this saddle tank locomotive was named “Sir John Grice” in 1928. It was withdrawn from traffic in 1941 and stored until sold privately in 1962. In 1965 it was sold again and went to the Whistle Stop Amusement Park in Frankston and again stored until bought at auction by the Puffing Billy Preservation Society in 1974 and put on static display in the Steam Museum. Restoration started in 1978 and it was returned to service in 1981 painted light green with yellow lining. It is temporarily renamed “Thomas the Tank Engine” with a fibreglass “Thomas” body cover each time it appears in the “Thomas the Tank Engine” shows at Gembrook station.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow Gauge Railway - Steam Locomotive used at the Metropolitan Gas Coy., West Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Inscriptions & Markings

Peckett

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Destination Disc - Train Destination Disc

Key words

puffing billy
destination disc
victorian railways
lilydale, belgrave lines

Train Destination Disc Round tin sign painted white with a black cross on white background and a mounting bracket on the rear. Placed on the front of trains prior to the mid 1970s to advise a Signalman in the Signal Box the destination of the train.

Historical information

Train Destination Disc Until the 1980s Melbourne suburban trains used a system of discs by day, and illuminated market lights by night, to indicate their destination. Placed on the front of trains to advise a Signalman in the Signal Box the destination of the train. This disk was used on NK1 the Whitfield Motor when it was used by Puffing Billy Railway Info from the diagrams from the 1953 Victorian Railways General Appendix. Black + is Lilydale, Belgrave other Destination Disks were Disks Williamstown Black II Newport Workshops Red = Changed in 76 to Black + Newport-Altona shuttle Red X Werribee Red X St Albans Black X Upfield Black = Broadmeadows Originally Red X changed in 1976 to Red = Epping Black II Hurstbridge Red X Lilydale, Belgrave Black + Alamein Black X Glen Waverley Black = Dandenong Black II Frankston Red = Sandringham Red X St Kilda Originally Black II changed in 1976 to Red X Port Melbourne Red X changed in 1976 to Black X Flinders St - Spencer St Local Red II Showgrounds Red = plus extra white disk on opposite front disk bracket; if only one event, Display Large White 1 and yellow side disk with set number. If two events, second event special trains flip this disk and show large Black Disk with white numeral 2 Race Special Red = plus extra white disk on opposite front disk bracket; if only one event, Display Large White 1 and yellow side disk with set number. If two events, second event special trains flip this disk and show large Black Disk with white numeral 2 For example, Flemington Race trains and Caulfield Race trains on the same day. Flemington carries Red = and White 1 and yellow set number on the side Caulfield carries Red = and Black 2 with yellow set number disc on the side. There was one disc which was never to be used in normal traffic, that was the "Red Cross"; it was reserved for Red Cross trains only.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Destination Disk - Black cross - Lilydale, Belgrave Lines This disk was used on NK1 the Whitfield Motor when it was used by Puffing Billy Railway

Inscriptions & Markings

Black Cross

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Sign - Railway Warning Notice

Key words

puffing billy
railway sign
victorian railways
warning notice

Sign - Railway Warning Notice wooden Notice Sign with white background and black lettering

Historical information

Historic - Victorian Railways - Warning Notice Sign Before turning vehicles from Mainline to Yard.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Warning Notice Sign

Inscriptions & Markings

Before turning vehicles from Mainline to Yard. ??????? ( rest is very hard to read )

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

NKS Trolley Motor Transporting Box

Key words

puffing billy
nks trolley motor transporting box

NKS Trolley Motor Transporting Box - two boxes made of timber with wrought iron fittings

Historical information

NKS Trolley Motor Transporting Box A wooden box used for transporting the engines of the Gangers trolleys between the line in use and the Workshops at Spotswood. Engines were often changed over due to mechanical failure or being required for a service. Rather than send the complete trolley in for work, the engine was removed and transported. These boxes may have arrived at a location with an engine in it, to replace the one returning to the Workshops, cutting down the time that the trolley may have been out of use.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Permanent Way and Works - track equipment - NKS Trolley Motor Transporting Box

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Station Sign - Toilet Gentlemen sign

Key words

puffing billy
victorian railways
station sign
toilet gentlemen sign

Station Sign - Toilet Gentlemen sign wooden rectangle Station name sign pained white background with black letters

Historical information

Station Sign - Toilet Gentlemen An obvious sign for a convenience. The use of the term Gentlemen was shortened to Men at a later time.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Station Sign - Toilet Gentlemen

Inscriptions & Markings

Gentlemen

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Wheel Spike - for 1914 Foden Traction Engine

Key words

puffing billy
foden
traction engine
spike
wheel spike

Cast Iron Spike curves to 18cm at right angle. 12mm diameter hole for attachment to wheel. Four even recesses to improve traction.

Historical information

1914 foden traction engine

Significance

Historic Farm - Logging Equipment

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Double Headed Rail

Key words

puffing billy
double headed rail
wilson & cammell - dronfield - steel works
ravenswood station siding
melbourne to echuca rail line, initially known as the melbourne, mt alexander and murray river railway.

2 rail lengths of Double Headed Rail made of Iron makers marks : Wilson & Cammell - Dronfield - Steel and 20 joint chairs with metal rail pins

Historical information

Double Headed Rail from Ravenswood Station Siding which was dismantled circa 1987 the two rails were stored for a time at Maldon before being donated to Puffing Billy Museum Bearing makers marks of Wilson & Cammell - Dronfield- Steel works Wilson & Cammell made Steel rails at their Dronfield Steel Works, in Dronfield, North East Derbyshire, England from 1872 - 1883 Double-headed rail In late 1830s Britain, railway lines had a vast range of different patterns. One of the earliest lines to use double-headed rail was the London and Birmingham Railway, which had offered a prize for the best design. This rail was supported by chairs and the head and foot of the rail had the same profile. The supposed advantage was that, when the head became worn, the rail could be turned over and re-used. In practice, this form of recycling was not very successful as the chair caused dents in the lower surface, and double-headed rail evolved into bullhead rail in which the head was more substantial than the foot. Info from Wikipedia - Rail Profile https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_profile The first records of double headed rail being used In Victoria by Victorian Railways was in 1859, the rails, chairs, oak and trenails were imported from UK. After the 1870’s the Victorian Railways went over to using flat bottom rails, but they still needed replacement double headed rail for lines already laid and this continued up to at least 1883 Wilson & Cammell - Dronfield- Steel works Wilson & Cammell made Steel rails at their Dronfield Steel Works, in Dronfield England from 1872 - 1883 Mount Alexander & Murray River Railway The Melbourne, Mount Alexander & Murray River Railway Company received parliamentary assent in February 1853 to build Victoria's first inland railway from Melbourne to Williamstown, Bendigo and Echuca. Construction commenced in January 1854 with work on a pier at Williamstown but lack of funds slowed progress, eventually prompting the company to sell out to the government. The 100-mile (162 km) section to Bendigo opened in October 1862. Its cost of £35,000 per mile made it the most expensive railway ever built in Australia. In 1864, the line was extended to Echuca, tapping into the booming Murray-Darling paddlesteamer trade. info from Museums Victoria - Victorian Railways https://museumsvictoria.com.au/railways/theme.aspx?lvl=3&IRN=450&gall=456 1863 Ravenswood Station open on the 1st Feb 1863 Victorian Railways - purchased and imported the Rail and Chairs from Raleigh, Dalgleish, White and Co. London Importation of railway plant : abstract of a return to an order of the Legislative Assembly dated 27th June 1860 for - Copies of the advertisements calling for tenders, the names of the tenderers and the accounts and correspondence with Mr Brunel relating thereto GP V 1859/60 no. C 15 http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/papers/govpub/VPARL1859-60NoC15.pdf Report from the Select Committee upon the Importation of Railway Plant : together with proceedings of the Committee, minutes of evidence and appendix GP V 1859/60 no. D 38 (2.9 MB) http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/papers/govpub/VPARL1859-60NoD38.pdf Ravenswood Siding When the Victorian Railways were established in 1856 they adopted one of the popular British permanent way standards - heavy 80lb (36.3kg) double-headed rail held up right in cast iron chairs attached to transverse timber sleepers by wooden pegs called trenails. The Ravenswood Railway siding was constructed in 1862 with 12 feet wrought iron double-head rail held in cast iron chairs with Ransom and May patent compressed keys. Trenails held the chairs to the sleepers and the joints were secured in joint chairs. Joints were subsequently joined using fish plates. It formed part of the Melbourne to Echuca rail line, initially known as the Melbourne, Mt Alexander and Murray River Railway. George Christian Derbyshire, the first Engineer-in-Chair of the Victorian Railways was responsible for the design and construction of the works. No new lines were built in Victoria using double-headed rail after 1870. The siding was disconnected from the main line in 1988. The Ravenswood Railway Siding demonstrates the original 1856 philosophy of the Victorian Railways to adopt British permanent way technology. The siding demonstrates significant aspects in the development of permanent way technology in England and Victoria over the period from the 1830's to the 1880's. The chairs in the Ravenswood siding are physical evidence of early railway technology rendered obsolete 120 years ago, namely joint chairs at rail joints and trenails to secure the chairs to the sleepers. The double-headed rail demonstrates an important stage in the evolution of British rail technology in the 1830s. The old fish plates, square headed bolts and square nuts demonstrate the success of fishing the rail joins. The Ravenswood siding demonstrates the earliest form of rail joint technology developed in England, and existing in Australia, the joint chair. In part of the siding the sequence of joint and intermediate chairs is consistent with the 1856 specifications, that sequence is rare with the joints secured in joint chairs. The survival of chairs in this sequence is rare and almost certainly demonstrates that they remained in continuous use at the same location from 1862 to 1988. This remnant of the Ravenswood siding has survived 126 years. The siding has proved to be the most significant of extant remnant double-headed sidings in Victoria, containing a rare combination of early permanent way technologies. Construction dates 1862, Info from Ravenswood Railway Siding Victorian Heritage Database Report http://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/4693/download-report The remaining section of this siding is significant at the State and National levels in that it demonstrates the use of chaired rail by the Victorian Railways Department for the Trunk Lines and, more particularly, the following stages in the evolution of this long obsolete method of permanent way construction: a) The use of joint chairs and intermediate chairs at regular intervals inferring that the original wrought iron rail lengths were 12 feet, as is known through documentary sources to have been the case. The survival of chairs in this sequence is unique and almost certainly demonstrates that they have remained in continuous use at the same location and in the same sequence from 1862 to 1988 . b) The use of joint chairs and intermediate chairs designed for use with trenails. c) The use of later intermediate chairs designed for use with steel pins and the use of fished joints with steel double head chaired rail, representing a second method of constructing the permanent way using chaired rail technology. info from Ravenswood Siding - Melbourne/Echuca Railway Line - Victorian Heritage Database Report http://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/70103/download-report Addition to Citation for Melbourne to EchucaRailway Line 1/10/90 Double Head Rail The surviving lengths of double head rail with chairs on this railway compare with one surviving similar remnant on the Geelong to Ballarat railway and are representative of permanent way construction techniques applied exclusively to the two trunk railways of the 1860's. In this respect they are rare survivors and may be unique at the national level and of technical importance at the international level to the extent that they enhance contemporary understanding of early railway building technology. Surviving lengths of chaired double head rail survive at Kyneton, Ravenswood and Bendigo on this railway and include a number of different types of cast iron intermediate and joint chairs with hardwood keys and metal pins. The Ravenswood siding is of special significance for the diversity of chair types and for the sequence of chairs recalling rail lengths known to be associated with construction of the line in 1862. Construction of the Railway Tenders closed on 24 March 1858 with no less than 133 tenders being received. A contract was let to Cornish and Bruce for £3,356,937 to commence work on 1 June 1858 and complete the line by 31 July 1861. Cornish and Bruce made quick early progress with the Melbourne to Sunbury section being officially opened on 13 January 1859. The line was officially opened to Bendigo (Sandhurst) on 20 October 1862 by the Governor of Victoria, Sir Henry Barkly. A great banquet was held for 800 guests and this was followed by a grand ball. The extension of the line to Echuca was a relatively simple matter as that part of the line was across plain country without any significant engineering challenges. Tenders were called for the work in 1863 and the work was completed in 1864 by contractors Collier and Barry Apart from the line contractors, other firms directly involved were J Shire law and Co (sleepers), R Fulton, Langlands Brothers and Co, William Crossley (water supply), B Moreland, Langlands Brothers and Co (platelayers lorries), E Chambers (iron pins, traversers), Miller and Macquinstan (luggage vans and steam engines) and various contractors for building works. Info from Engineers Australia Engineering Heritage Victoria Nomination for Recognition under the Engineering Heritage Australia Heritage Recognition Program for the Goldfields Railways - Melbourne , Bendigo & Echuca Railway Page 25 - .2.9.2 Statement from National Trust of Australia (Victoria) Listing number B5323 for Mt Alexander/Murray Valley Rail Line: Page 69 - Theme 3 https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/portal/system/files/engineering-heritage-australia/nomination-title/Melbourne_%20Bendigo_Echuca%20Railway%20Nomination.pdf The Melbourne, Mount Alexander and Murray River Railway Company was a railway company in Victoria, Australia. It was established on 8 February 1853 to build a railway from Melbourne to Echuca on the Victorian-NSW border and a branch railway to Williamstown. The company struggled to make any progress and on 23 May 1856, the colonial Government took over the Company and it became part of the newly established Department of Railways, part of the Board of Land and Works. The Department of Railways became Victorian Railways in 1859. Construction of the Bendigo line commenced in 1858, but this private consortium also met with financial difficulties when it was unable to raise sufficient funds, and was bought out by the Victorian colonial government. The design work was then taken over by Captain Andrew Clarke, R. E., Surveyor-General of Victoria, with bridge designs completed by Bryson and O'Hara The contract for the first stage of the line from Footscray to Sandhurst (now Bendigo), was let to Cornish and Bruce for £3,356,937.2s.2d ($6.714 million) with work commencing on 1 June 1858. Completion of the permanent way was to be by 31 July 1861 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne,_Mount_Alexander_and_Murray_River_Railway_Company Victorian Railways - purchased and imported the Rail and Chairs from Raleigh, Dalgleish, White and Co. London Importation of railway plant : abstract of a return to an order of the Legislative Assembly dated 27th June 1860 for - Copies of the advertisements calling for tenders, the names of the tenderers and the accounts and correspondence with Mr Brunel relating thereto GP V 1859/60 no. C 15 http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/papers/govpub/VPARL1859-60NoC15.pdf Report from the Select Committee upon the Importation of Railway Plant : together with proceedings of the Committee, minutes of evidence and appendix GP V 1859/60 no. D 38 (2.9 MB) http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/papers/govpub/VPARL1859-60NoD38.pdf Victorian Railways : report of the Board of Land and Works November 1862 GP V 1862/63 no. 21 (2.8 MB) https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/papers/govpub/VPARL1862-63No21.pdf

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Double Headed rail Ravenswood Railway Station and Siding Victorian Heritage Database Reports Victorian Heritage Register VHR H1100 Victorian Heritage Register VHR H1786 National Trust VHR H1100 Mount Alexander and Murray River Rail way Line National Trust

Inscriptions & Markings

Makers mark Wilson & Cammell - Dronfield - Steel (possible date 187? very hard to read )

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Side Tipping Timber Skip - Tipping Skip

Key words

puffing billy
side tipping skip
industrial narrow gauge railway

Wooden bodied, steel framed side tipping skip.

Historical information

Side Tipping Timber Skip Wooden Contractors Wagon. Gauge 17 inch (430mm) Typical of the many side tipping wagons used for soil and rock disposal in construction work and mining throughout Australia and the world. The wagon would be loaded with soil and pushed along a short line to the end of track where the load would be emptied out to either side. By using a central pivot the wagon’s body can be tipped either side to allow the contents to be easily removed ready for the next load.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow Gauge Railway - side tipping skip from Australian Portland Cement

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Lathe - Gap Bed

Key words

bevan & edwards pty,ltd machinery merchants melbourne
puffing billy

Gap Bed Lathe - Grey with raw steel parts and a timber cupboard with gears and tools.

Historical information

Possibly ex Victorian Railways Newport workshops Supplied by Bevan & Edwards Machinery Merchants, Melbourne Sebastian Lathes Described by its makers as the Utility School, Garage and Repair-shop Lathe, the machine immediately below, a Sebastian 15" (circa 1910 - 1926) was the Company's cheapest offering and, in its basic form, lacked a compound slide rest, the tailstock did not set over for taper turning and the bed lacked a gap. However, a friction-type countershaft unit was included in the price as well as a tool post, faceplate, drive plate, changewheels for screwcutting and a small tool kit. As with modern cars (especially BMW) everything worthwhile was on the options' list and by spending more it was possible to specify all those small but important extras. Although in its lowest-cost form this model was reduced to the fundamentals required for a useable, screwcutting centre (engine) lathe it was still reasonably specified and would certainly have fulfilled many requirements when installed in a school or training workshop. The true swing was 15.25", it was properly backgeared and screwcutting was through a conventional tumble-reverse mechanism that allowed both left and right-hand powered movement to the carriage by altering the position of just one lever. As standard it accepted 40" between centres, but any capacity could be ordered, in foot intervals, up to a maximum of 88" - when it is hoped that a central bed support might have been included …… The spindle, which ran in white-metal bearings, had a useful 15/8" hole and a No. 3 Morse taper centre. Some models appear to have had the leadscrew clasp-nut lever on the right-hand side of the apron, while on others it was positioned to the left.. Early Sebastian 13-inch lathe Typical of the Centre or "Engine" lathe made by many manufacturers from the late 1800s until the late 1930s, the basic flat-belt drive Sebastian, with separate countershaft, was eventually relegated to the economy end of the Company's range by the introduction of geared headstocks and self-contained motor-drive systems.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Machinery - Gap Bed Lathe - Possibly ex Victorian Railways Newport workshops - Purchased and supplied from Bevan & Edwards

Inscriptions & Markings

Bevan & Edwards PTY,LTD Machinery Merchants Melbourne (possible government tag) 365

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

2 NBH - Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car

Key words

puffing billy railway, pbr, rolling stock , 2nbh
victorian railways narrow gauge - passenger rolling stock,
victorian railways
nbh - excursion car
2nbh

Passenger Carriage - Excursion Car made of steel and timber

Historical information

2NBH - Excursion Car NBH SECOND-CLASS EXCURSION CAR. The H was recognising their use for "Holiday" traffic. 15 of these cars were built in 1919 and numbered 1-15. Two more were built in 1981, and numbered 16 & 17. Two extended versions for wheelchair passengers were built in 1981 & 1983. These were numbered 51 & 52 - a separate number series due to the different type of vehicle. Six, numbered 18-23, were built in 1997-98. These had steel frames, padded seats, and a wide "window sill". At first glance they look the same as the previous NBHs. There are other minor construction differences due to the use of steel framing. 18NBH entered traffic 19/4/1997; 19NBH on 5/12/1997; 20NBH on 19/12/1997, the others added in 1998. VR Service History : 14/ 5/1900 NWS Built new as 33 NQR converted & renumbered to 12/ 4/1919 - To NBH 2 VR Service History NQR 33.VA - 14/ 5/1900 NWS Built new - 12/ 4/1919 - To NBH 2.VA - *NBH 2.VA - / 4/1929 - Modified Malco BO circa 1955 - Condemned Puffing Billy Service History or Notes 12 Apr 1919 - Nos 1 to 6 NBH (new) delivered to UPPER FERN TREE GULLY after this date. Mar 2013 - In for a hot box again

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Passenger Rolling Stock: Excursion Car

Inscriptions & Markings

2NBH

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek