This is a sheet of buff-coloured thickened paper containing two sepia-coloured photographs and brown printing on one side and black printing on the other side.
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
This is a sheet of buff-coloured thickened paper containing two sepia-coloured photographs and brown printing on one side and black printing on the other side.
A small metal bucket such as this was a common item in a household, farm or factory, 20th century and earlier. It would have been used to carry liquids such as water, milk or cleaning fluids and small loads such as feed for animals or picked fruit and vegetables. Today iron buckets are still in use but have been largely replaced by plastic ones.
This bucket is retained for display purposes, perhaps in a dairy farm display.
This is a galvanised iron bucket. It has as circular base with a strengthening metal strip around the edge and a tapered body with a circular top. A metal handle is inserted into small metal loops on the sides. There is some rusting in the inside base area.
household items, dairy farm implements
This collection of six documents (1915-1922) belonged to Charles Geary who was born in Warrnambool, the son of Thomas and Martha Ellen Geary in 1893. The collection documents his joining the Australian Imperial Expeditionary Force A.A.M.C. Dental Reserve, his subsequent discharge and post military employment in the Town of Warrnambool as a Hackney Carriage Driver and later as a second class engine driver..
This collection gives examples of references and certificates of leave required to join the A.I.F. in 1916. The discharge certificate is a good example of what was given to military personnel after their services were no longer required. The llicense and certificate of competency show some of Charles' post war endeavours. Charles is listed on the Warrnambool Fire Brigade World War 1 Honour Roll as an active member.
(.1) Typewritten refence on Robinson's Motor Pty. Ltd. green and navy printed letterhead with a purple ink stamp and black written signature and embossed company seal. (.2) Reference, handwritten in black ink on blue 8mm lined white paper with a 38mm printed margin. (.3) Black print on a cream certificate completed in black ink. (.4) Cotton woven paper certificate completed in blue, black and red ink with black ink thumb prints. (.5) Black printed Certificate number 1069 on cream paper completed in black ink. (.6) Peach coloured certificate with red printing on heavy weight paper completed in black ink and numbered 8313
charles geary, australian army medical corps dental reserve, a.a.m.c., robinson's motor proprietary limited, geo powell, country fire brigades board of victoria, hackney carriage driver's license, second class engine driver, dental mechanic
These three sheets are copies of the originals and relate to the establishment of the Farnham Cheese and Butter Factory in Dennington (Warrnambool). The name 'Farnham' is the name of the Special Survey in the area first purchased by William Rutledge and also the name of the Rutledge property at Dennington. In 1889 WIlliam Rutledge (Junior) and Thomas Palmer established the Farnham Cheese and Butter Factory on the banks of the Merri River at Dennington. In 1890 they sold the factory to a farmers' co-operative. Farnham had a high reputationfor butter=making when the factory was in existence. The factory was bought out by Nestles about 1909 with that company establishing its factory on the same area.in 1911.
These documents are of interest as the Farnham Cheese and Butter Factory was one of the earliest of its type in the Western District and won a Gold Medal in 1909 for butter-making at the Islington Dairy Show in competition with other butter-making countries in the world.
.1 sheet of paper with black and white map showing location of factory in Dennington (copy) .2 An A3 size piece of paper with a sketch map and typed material showing a Certificate of Title (copy) .3 An 3 size piece of paper with a sketch map and typed material showing a Certificate of Title (copy)
farnham cheese and butter factory, nestles factory warrnambool
These playing cards were produced for the Warrnambool Woollen Mill in the 1940s for promotional purposes and were probably given to members of a bridal party when one member had bought a Warrnambool blanket (specifically the Warma-Wool Blanket) as a trousseau item or as a gift for the bridal couple. The cards were in the possession of Mr C.F. Kelly of Dwarroon, Cudgee (near Warrnambool) in 1985 and he has taken them to show the manager of the Warrnambool Mill as they were already items of historical interest, being about 40 years old at that time. The letter from the Warrnambool Mill administration office attests to this. The envelope shows that the cards were returned to Mr Kelly by post. The Warrnambool Woollen Mill was established in South Warrnambool in 1910 and closed in the year 2000. It was one of the most important and well-known industries in Warrnambool in the 20th century.
These items are of interest as mementoes of the Warrnambool Woollen Mill, a key 20th century industry in Warrnambool that was known Australia-wide
This is a pack of playing cards having the usual playing cards printed numbers and emblems on one side and a colour illustration of a bride and two bridesmaids admiring a blanket on the other side. This side also has printed material. The cards are partly enclosed in a piece of cellophane and the pack is in a rectangular envelope with a stamp and a typed address on the outside. The envelope is open and partly torn at one end. The letter in the envelope has a letterhead and typed material.
Envelope: Mr C.F. Kelly R.S.D. 4330 D.Warroen (sic) Cudgee Vic. 3265 Cards: Warrnambool Warma-Wool Blankets
warrnambool blankets, warrnambool woollen mill, dwarroon estate cudgee
This ledger was used between 1883 and 1892 to record returns and activities on a farming property including numbers of sheep shorn, chaff cut, fencing contracted and people employed. One envelope within the ledger is addressed to Mrs J Edwards, Morven via Branxholme. The Edwards family, lived on the MORVEN property situated about 11 kilometres west of Branxholme in the Western District of Victoria. This property was sub divided in 1911 into 25 farms. The not fully used ledger has later been repurposed as a recipe book with a collection of newspaper cuttings (1924-1929) inserted and recipes handwritten on 16 pages at the rear. The pages also include some household hints including instructions on how "To prepare sheep skins for mats"
This ledger is typical of farming records kept in the period 1883 to 1892. The repurposing of the ledger as a recipe book was a common practice.
This ledger has cardboard patterned covers. The paper pages are bound with cotton. Some pages are handwritten in ink. There are loose newspaper cuttings within the ledger as well as two addressed envelopes and a small red recipe booklet.
ledger, farming records, recipes, morven, edwards family morven, canvassing department of the australian dried fruits association
.1 Cream cover with black and green floral design and leather spine with gilt patterns. The pages have a gilt edging and the spine is partly detached. The pages contain printed material and handwritten entries .2 Black cover with yellow and green floral design. The spine is leather and has gold printing and lines. The pages have a gilt edging and contain printed material and handwritten entries
Two birthday books with entries of birthdates
19th century warrnambool people, beattie family warrnambool, beattie and phillips funeral directors
White two ring bantex folder of 37 plastic sleeves containing white A4 pages with newspaper cuttings. There are some handwritten pages at the rear.
Early 20thC. newspaper cuttings. (kept by Bonnett family - Mepunga East)
bonnett family, mepunga east, scrapbook, gall, chambers, morgan, moloney, jenkins, mclean, rev samuel fraser, spence, adams, bennett, robisson, sheedy, patrick maher, w j freckleton, j j buckley, john steel, f j hennessy, thomas gordon scott, william r jackway, c c williams, c w cooke, henry w frich, leo p gartlan, w f heazlewood, william k o'dowd, ralph j levings, w ewart murnane, t d donovan, j w connolly, arthur butler, george white, jim g davidson, a roberts, jack keith, w. allwood, voutier, edward somerville, harold wright, w a egan, p macnamara, carl d fisher, p morgan, david watson, cecil h fox, james tinker, gordon patterson
This is an example of an early merchandising item for the Warrnambool Tea & Coffee merchant, T. H. Easson.
T. H. Easson was an early tea & coffee merchant in Warrnambool (1898-1973). The business was located at 125-127 Liebig Street and later at 103A Liebig Street. The business was also known at various times as Easson's "The Tea & Coffee Shop" and as Easson's Tea Rooms.
A heart shaped, thin, soft metal book clip with a floral decoration pressed into the metal outer edge. The top of the heart has a small hole and a bow, ribbon and floral decoration pressed into the metal below it. There is a floral design at the base of the heart above the word Warrnambool.
T.H. EASSON TEA & COFFEE MERCHANT WARRNAMBOOL
t.h. easson, tea & coffee merchants, warrnambool, liebig street
This calendar has been produced by Monaghans' pharmacy in Fairy Street Warrnambool for the year 1984. It would have been handed out to regular customers and business contacts. Monaghans' Pharmacy in 1984 was operated by pharmacists, Carolyn and Lindsay Monaghan. The building at 140 Fairy Street formerly housed the bakery business of Henry H. Smith and his successors (from the mid 1880s) and one of the photographs on the calendar shows the building when it was a bakery. Today Monaghans' pharmacy at 140 Fairy Street still operates.
This calendar is of interest because of its photographs of historical note and because it is a memento of a long-standing business in Warrnambool.
This is a buff-coloured sheet of thickened paper with two sepia photographs and brown printing on one side and black printing on the other. It has a hole punched at the top centre and is stained and creased.
monaghans' pharmacy warrnambool, henry h.smith baker warrnambool, chemists in warrnambool
Material originally collected by Warrnambool Mahogany Ship Committee
Material collected for research and commemorative purposes
A3 archival box containing folders of paper material
Mahogany Ship material and other memorabilia of Des Williams
mahogany ship, joseph archibald, des williams
mahogany ship, joseph archibald, des williams
This poster has been produced as a saleable item by the firm of McCarron Bird & Co of Melbourne about 1900. This firm was founded in 1872 and is best known for its publication of the two-volume work, 'Victoria and its Metropolis' (1888). The poster was intended to be hung on a wall for decorative and advertising purposes. It contains four attractive lithographs of the towns, Warrnambool, Port Fairy, Portland and Hamilton and a great number of advertisements and illustrations, some from Melbourne and the rest from the Westen District towns mentioned above. One Warrnambool advertisement is for the general merchant business of William Caffin in Kepler Street and two others are advertisements for the coastal ships, Flinders, Dawn and Casino which came into the port of Warrnambool.
This poster has local historical significance as it has a descriptive drawing of the town of Warrnambool about 1900 and shows the buildings that were existing at that time.
This is a cream-coloured sheet of paper with a coloured centre piece showing the title of the poster, four coloured lithographs of Western Victorian towns and advertisements printed and illustrated in black and white. The edges of the poster are frayed and the paper is torn at the centre left edge.
warrnambool 1900, western victorian towns 1900, william caffin general merchant warrnambool
This bottle was found in sea water while the donor was snorkelling in Stingray Bay, Warrnambool. It is a marble stopper bottle from the Warrnambool cordial factory of John Fletcher. Th bottle was filled upside down so that as soon as the filling ceased the marble was forced down to seal the bottle against a rubber ring (missing in this bottle). Pressure inside the bottle would keep the marble pressed against the top of the neck. To open the bottle the marble was pressed down so that it fell into the body of the bottle. John Fletcher as a young boy worked at Rowley's Cordial Factory in Banyan Street, Warrnambool. He then worked for John Davis who had established the Union Cordial Factory in Koroit Street in the 1860s. In 1885 John Fletcher bought Davis' business and operated it until 1930. It was then bought by Ralph Reeves. John Fletcher manufactured soda water, lemonade, tonic waters, ginger ale, sarsaparilla, cordials, hop beer and hop bitters.
This bottle is of some interest as an example of a marble stopper bottle over 90 years old and as a memento of the Warrnambool soft drinks business of John Fletcher, a prominent businessman in Warrnambool for over 40 years.
This is a clear glass bottle with a rounded body, a heavy indentation near the base of the neck and a thick tapering neck with a round opening. The bottle contains a green marble and some marine detritus. The bottle is discoloured with stains and dirt and has lettering etched into the side and base.
John Fletcher Ginger Ale Warrnambool This bottle is the property of John Fletcher Warrnambool and cannot be legally used by others G
john fletcher warrnambool, cordial manufacturers in warrnambool
The Mepunga & District Racing Club was formed at a meeting of sportsmen from various hamlets east of Warrnambool held at the Allans Forest State School, Mepunga West. The club was formed to conduct picnic race meetings in aid of charity and patriotic funds. On the committee were two representatives from Allansford, Cudgee, Mepunga, Nirranda, Nullawarre and Panmure, with Mr. W. Bant of Panmure elected as president. The club held its first race meeting, at Warrnambool, on 22 April 1944 in aid of district Red Cross Funds. It held four annual picnic race meetings from 1944 to 1947. [Source: Mark McNamara, The 'Bool: the history of racing in Warrnambool. -Self published, 2018. p.191]
This program is from the first race meeting of the Mepunga and District Picnic Race Club held at the Warrnambool Racecourse on 22nd April 1944 to raise funds for the Red Cross during the war years. It contains a list of all office bearers and officials as well as placegetters and some jockey's names.
Small dark pink covered booklet of 20 pages, containing the official programme of the Mepunga and District Picnic Race Club race meeting held 22nd April 1944. The booklet has grey lead pencil markings noting some riders and placegetter across the six race program.
Front Cover: Mepunga and District Picnic Race Club Race Meeting (Affiliated with the S.W.D.R.A.) Saturday 22nd April, 1944; Official Programme one shilling; In aid of Red Cross Funds; E.P. Gibbons J Croft Hon Secs.; Modern Print, W'bool Inside Front Cover: Notice to Owners, Trainers and Riders. Prices to Enclosures Inside Rear Cover: Map of the Warrnambool Racecourse Rear Cover: All complaints concerning paid or unpaid bets MUST be lodged at the Secretary's office within THIRTY MINUTE of the race on which the bet was made other wise they will not be entertained.; Notice to Bookmakers. Fees must be paid at Secretary's Office prior to First Race.
mepunga and district picnic race club, warrnambool racecourse, e p gibbons, j croft
This is a typical example of a flat wick domestic paraffin lamp used in households prior to the introduction of electricity.
A flat-wick lamp is a simple type of paraffin lamp, which burns paraffin drawn up through a wick by capillary action. A flat-wick lamp has a fuel tank (fount), with the lamp burner attached. Attached to the fuel tank, four prongs hold the glass chimney, which acts to prevent the flame from being blown out and enhances a thermally induced draft. The glass chimney needs a "throat", or slight constriction, to create the proper draft for complete combustion of the fuel; the draft carries more air (oxygen) past the flame, helping to produce a smokeless light, which is brighter than an open flame would produce. The wick holder has holes around the outer edges. When the lantern is lit and a chimney is attached, the thermally induced draft draws air through these holes and passes over the top of the wick. This has a cooling effect and keeps the wick from over heating. The lamp burner has a flat wick, made of cotton. The lower part of the wick dips into the fount and absorbs the paraffin; the top part of the wick extends out of the wick tube of the lamp burner, which includes a wick-adjustment mechanism. Adjusting how much of the wick extends above the wick tube controls the flame. The wick tube surrounds the wick and ensures that the correct amount of air reaches the lamp burner. Adjustment is usually done by means of a small knob operating a cric, which is a toothed metal sprocket bearing against the wick. If the wick is too high, and extends beyond the burner cone at the top of the wick tube, the lamp will produce smoke and soot (unburned carbon). When the lamp is lit, the paraffin that the wick has absorbed burns and produces a clear, bright, yellow flame. As the paraffin burns, capillary action in the wick draws more kerosene up from the fuel tank. All paraffin flat-wick lamps use the dead-flame burner design, where the flame is fed cold air from below, and hot air exits above. (Source: Wikipedia accessed 24 Nov 2023)
This lantern has a circular heavy green glass base for holding the paraffin. The base has a 12mm green glass handle. There is a small clear glass chimney with a fluted upper edge and some bubbles in the glass. The metal burner and wick holder has four metal prongs to hold the glass chimney in place. The round metal wick winder is functioning. There is a small amount of residual paraffin in the base. The flat wick is made of cotton.
There are no markings to indicate the manufacturer.
paraffin lamp, flat wick lamp, domestic lantern
This is a book of 108 pages. It has a brown cover with white printing and a black and white photograph on the front cover and printing and seven black and white photographs on the back cover. The pages contain printed material and black and white photographs.
History of Warrnambool Factory - Alderdice Brassfounders Pty Ltd
alderdice brassfounders pty ltd, agriculture in warrnambool district, william & charles downing
These two buttons are tailors' buttons for clothing made in Warrnambool. The brown one is from the firm of Frederick Williamson who had a tailoring business at 157-159 Liebig Street, Warrnambool. His father Edward had started the tailoring business with a shop in Timor Street in the second half of the 19th century. Frederick Williamson was a Warrnambool City Councillor on three occasions (1924-1930; 1934-1939; 1942 -1945) and Mayor 1942-1943. The black button came from the Liebig Street, Warrnambool clothing and haberdashery store of Cramond and Dickson who employed tailors and dressmakers to make clothing to order. John Cramond and James Dickson opened their Warrnambool store in 1855 and it was a dominant business in Warrnambool for 119 years, closing in 1974. It was common practice in the first half of the 20th century for tailors and large clothing stores to have their own buttons for their suits etc.
These two buttons are of some interest as examples of buttons made specifically for two local Warrnambool businesses.
.1 Round button, light-brown in colour with four holes in the centre, a curved back and imprinted letters around the edge. .2 Round black button with four holes in the centre, a curved back and imprinted letters around the edge.
.1 F. Williamson Warrnambool 2. Cramond & Dickson
frederick williamson warrnambool tailor, cramond & dickson warrnambool
This singlet has been made as a swimming singlet or top for a man to wear loosely over swimming trunks. It dates from about the 1920s. Both men and women in the 19th and early 20th centuries wore swimming costumes that modestly covered most of the body and for public bathing they usually bathed separately.
This item has no known local provenance but is of interest as a vintage piece of men's clothing.
This is a navy cotton singlet with a rounded neckline and beige-coloured cotton edging around the neck, sleeve holes and bottom end. There is a printed label at the inside top of the neck.
Made In Australia Magpie
vintage swimming costumes, warrnambool sea baths
These stamps have been printed and sold to gain funds for the Warrnambool Patriotic Fund. This fund was first set up in 1914 by the Mayor of Warrnambool, Cr A. Fritz Landmann, to provide funds for the welfare of servicemen and women during World War One so these stamps may date from that time (with the cost of threepence suggesting this time). However the Warrnambool Patriotic Fund also existed in World War Two and the Warrnambool R.S.L. today has a Patriotic Fund to assist ex-servicemen and their dependants and other charitable causes.
These stamps are of minor interest as a memento of local fund raising in war time.
These are two rectangular-shaped pieces of paper, part of a pad of stamps joined together by perforated lines for easy detachment. These two stamps have perforations on the sides and in the middle. The middle perforation is partly separated. The stamps contain blue printed material.
Warrnambool Patriotic Fund 3d.
world war one, warrnambool r.s.l.
This door plate was found at 28 Spence Street, Warrnambool by the builder Ray Hollingsworth, when he was renovating the building for the Warrnambool Presbyterian Church in June 2019. He realized that the inscription had been placed there by Leslie O'Callaghan, probably when he left the premises in 1942 after boarding there for some years. Leslie O'Callaghan (1918-2014) was born in Balmoral and left there at the age of 13 with a scholarship to study at Warrnambool Technical School. He became an industrial chemist, working at the Kraft Walker Cheese Factory in Allansford (Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory). His experimental work in cheese cultures over a 45 year period was regarded as cutting edge work in the Victorian dairying industry. Known as 'Mr History', Leslie O'Callaghan was also an important Warrnambool historian, serving as president of the Warrnambool and District Historical Society for 35 years. In later life Les wrote about his time in 28 Spence Street, noting the lay-out of the early building and other boarders at the time. He never mentioned the interesting memento of his time there that he left on the back of a door plate. The Warrnambool and District Historical Society Archives Centre is called 'Les O'Callaghan History House'
This door plate with its inscription was found 77 years after the inscription was written. It is of considerable interest because the writer of the inscription was well-known in Warrnambool as a bacteriologist and an historian. He left his own personal historical message and by sheer chance it was found years later. (All the old door plates at the time of the renovation were thrown out and it was fortunate that the builder happened to see the writing on one of them and to recognize who the writer was.)
This is a cream-coloured ceramic door plate. It is rectangular-shaped with curved edges at the top and bottom. It has been painted white and has two holes at the top and bottom for the insertion of screws for a5taching the plate to the door. The inside of the plate has handwriting in black pencil
Leslie Alexander O'Callaghan lived here for some years 1939-1942 AD. His occupation was as assistant bacteriologist for Kraft-Walker Cheese Coy. at Allansford. Born at Balmoral, 40 miles NORTH of Hamilton, Victoria
leslie o'callaghan warrnambool, kraft walker cheese company allansford, 28 spence street warrnambool
A ring box used by a Warrnambool Jeweller in the mid 20th century
This ring box was used by the Warrnambool business of F J Gill & Co which operated in Liebig Street in the period 1920-1960. Frederick James Gill (1881-1961) was a consulting optician in 1919 and operated a business in Liebig Street. In the 1950's the jewellery business also operated in Terang and Camperdown.
Cream hinged bakelite ring box with velvet cushions to hold a ring. The satin material inside the lid has a small brown sticker. There is a small metal clasp to assist with keeping the box closed
Brown Sticker: Jeweller & Optician Warrnambool
ring box, f j gill, liebig street, warrnambool, jeweller, optician, watchmaker
772 page 1869 bible with a brown cardboard cover embossed with a cover embossed with a geometric design. The spine has Holy Bible imprinted in gold upper case lettering and is well worn with some damage exposing the stitched binding of the pages.
1869 American Bible Society Bible presented to Eliza Curtis in 1870.
19th century bible, eliza curtis, david owen, e isabel owen, l florence owen, lorraine owen, sulhamstead, coulstock street, warrnambool, riverside, allansford, b aymar
This stencil has been made to label packaged produce (wool bales, packaged meat etc) from a farm in Grasmere, near Warrnambool. The name, W. Robinson, suggests that this is William Robinson the son of James and Jane Robinson. James Robinson came to Australia in 1857 and he and his family farmed at Springvale at Hopkins Point, then at what was termed 'Manning's old Purnim Farm' on the Merri Rive at Grasmere (the Manning brothers, Frederick and John were early farmers in the district). The Robinson brothers, James and Stuart were well-known in the Warrnambool district as champion ploughmen. James's son, William married firstly Christina MacLennan and then Elizabeth Neale of Tooram, Allansford. William died in 1959 but the stencil was probably used on the property after his death.
This farm stencil is of interest as a memento of farming at Grasmere in the first half of the 20th century.
This is a metal stencil, oval in shape. It has letters cut out in the metal for stencilling purposes. It has been painted or sprayed and is rusted in places.
W. Robinson 20 Grasmere
william robinson grasmere, manning's purnim farm
Warrnambool City Council Records collected by a member of a Council Advisory Committee.
Collection of Warrnambool City Council records of the 1990s
In folders and archival envelopes in an A3 archival box
Two A3 archival envelopes containing information on Foreshore etc., five booklets containing reports on City Plans, Council Strategies etc and 15 Reports (Shop Trading, Coastal Wetlands, Foreshore, Landcare etc)
warrnambool city council, warrnambool city council strategies and plans
warrnambool city council, warrnambool city council strategies and plans
This stencil has been made to imprint the label, 'Britain Relief Appeal' on to parcels and packages sent to Britain in the late 1940s and the early 1950s from the City of Warrnambool. Britain endured severe rationing of food, clothing, petrol and furniture from 1940 because of the outbreak of World War Two and this rationing continued in some form after the war up to 1954. Australian towns and cities established organizations such as Food For Britain and sent regular parcels of food and clothing to Britain during those times. The British Relief Appeal in Warrnambool (via the Warrnambool Food For Britain committee) was sponsored by the Warrnambool City Council, Toc H, Australian Red Cross, and various local charities and businesses. The Warrnambool & District Historical Society has in its collection over 100 letters sent by grateful British recipients of these parcels to the senders, the employees of the local Warrnambool business, Swintons Stores.
This stencil is of interest as a memento of the effects of rationing in Britain in post-World War Two times and the close ties that existed between Australian towns and cities and their British counterparts.
This is a rectangular-shaped metal stencil, originally painted black, with cut-out letters in the centre.
Britain Relief Appeal
warrnambool food for britain committee, warrnambool britain relief committee, world war two
This bag has been produced for school children to order their lunches from a school canteen. The bags were distributed by B & P Hoy, wholesalers who had a retail shop at 48 Kepler Street and a warehouse and office at 1074 Raglan Parade. (Approximate dates 1960s to 1980s)
This item is of interest as an example of local school lunch bags in the 1960s.
A white paper bag with blue and red printing and sketches of five children, a dog, a skate board, an old time school master and the Australian flag. The bag opening has serrated edging.
B & P HOY WHOLESALERS "THE MONEY SAVERS" 1074 RAGLAN PARADE WARRNAMBOOL
school canteens, b & p hoy warrnambool, school lunch bags
Warrnambool Chamber of Commerce administrative material archive
Preservation of an historical collection
Ledgers and other material kept in 5 A3 archival boxes and archival folders.
Ledgers containing Minutes, Newspaper Cuttings, Constitution, Annual Reports etc
warrnambool chamber of commerce, marcus saltau
warrnambool chamber of commerce, marcus saltau
This bank book is from the Bank of Australasia branch in Burnley, Melbourne and records the financial transactions of Mrs May Ferguson from July 1939 to June 1944 with an additional entry for 1955. Mrs Ferguson was related to Thomas Ferguson of Dennington, Warrnambool. The Bank of Australasia was established in Sydney in 1835 (Warrnambool in 1854) and joined with other banks in the 1950s to form the present day, ANZ Bank.
This book has little local provenance but is of interest as an example of a pass book from the Bank of Australasia, an important early bank in Warrnambool.
This is a bank pass book with a dark blue cloth cover. The pages are ruled with black lines and contain printed material and handwritten material in black and red ink. The pages are stapled. There is some scribble on the inside back cover.
Mrs May Ferguson
bank of australasia, mrs may ferguson, anz bank
This exercise book records the details of Jack Ashworth's attempt to break the world record for marathon dancing in 1930. The event was held in the Oddfellows Hall in Warrnambool from 5.30 a.m. Monday June 23rd to 11.30 p.m. Saturday 28th June 1930 and broke the world record when 138 hours of dancing were completed. Mr Ashworth thus took back the world record which he held on 1929 and later lost. The event was open to the paying public and a prize of one guinea was offered to the lady who danced the longest with Mr Ashworth. The record book shows the signatures of those who verified the continuous dancing at given times throughout the six days. The Oddfellows Hall building in Koroit Street, Warrnambool is still extant and houses local businesses.
This item is of particular interest as it contains details of an unusual event in Warrnambool's history.
This is an exercise book with a black cloth cover. The pages are edged in red and have ruled blue lines, handwriting in black ink, two newspaper cuttings and a pasted-in poster.
jack ashworth, oddfellows hall warrnambool, world record for marathon dancing
This is a book of 190 pages. It has a green cover with embossed floral patterns and a rising sun sketch outlined in gold. The black printing on the cover and spine has a gold patterned background. The pages contain advertisements, printed material and black and white sketches.
A Children's Annual formed by re-publishing one year's issues of a monthly magazine
matilda logan, st. john's presbyterian church warrnambool, logan's beach
This membership card lists all the office bearers and committee members of the Allansford & District Anglers' Club for the 1945-46 season.
Pink folded card with black printing The inside lists office bearers and legal lengths of fish and bag limits for the 1945-1946 season. The back has an advertisement for Cramond & Dickson.
Front cover: Allansford and District Anglers' Club Season 1945-46 Subscription 2/6
allansford, allansford & district anglers' club, fidler & salt, g sheppard
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.