Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated Victoria

The Sunshine and District Historical Society was formed in 1972. The Society set out to work on the history of the areas that made up the City of Sunshine. As the Society's work became more widely known, it was entrusted with historical records and photographs. These included the records of Sunshine Technical School, dating from 1913, hard copy of the Sunshine Advocate and films made by J.J. Jackson. The strength of the Society's research encouraged the City of Sunshine to accept an offer from ICI Australia to take over the Hunt Club Hotel in Deer Park and establish a home for the Society in the caretaker's cottage.

Links

Contact Information

location
Sunshine & District Historical Society Incorporated PO Box 720 Sunshine Victoria 3020 (map)
phone
+61 03 9249 4614

Contact

Opening Hours

Tuesdays 10am - 3pm at the HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Rd, Deer Park 3023. Wednesdays 2pm - 4pm at the SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Rd, Sunshine 3020.

Entry Fee

Free

Location

HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Road, Deer Park 3023. SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Road, Sunshine 3020. Victoria

View on Google Maps

The SHS collection covers a wide range of themes and timeframes. The material from the Sunshine Technical School and its association with HV McKay dates from 1913. The National Museum of Australia recently borrowed the first volume of the school's Minute Books. The SHS material relating to HV McKay is limited but compliments larger amounts in collections from other institutions such as Museum Victoria.

Significance

The SHS collection as a whole has historical significance for the extent that it conveys the aspects of the history of the community. In part it reflects the diversity of people that came to the district as well as focusing on some key industries such as McKay, Nettlefold, Spalding, Australian Defence Industry and Altona Explosives. The historical significance is tied up in the numerous ways the collection can be used to enhance the understanding of Sunshine and the local district. It also forms an important source of information for local and industrial history researchers, as well as having great interpretive potential for 'storytelling' and educational programs. Family historians are always keen to learn more about the industries that once employed their relatives, as well as thousands of others.

Meredith Blake 1 August 2013 3:31 PM

Great work S&DHS! Good to see some new items up and particularly enjoyed seeing the Phoenix Fireworks Sales Poster

Leave a comment

59 items with images

close
Show All Items Items with Images (59) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

59 items with images

Photograph (1930) - LEATHERCLOTH PTY LTD - Original Employees

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph of 122 original employees of LEATHERCLOTH PTY LTD plus key list of names of the employees. The key list is situated above the wide panoramic photograph, and both are enclosed within a glass faced black stained wooden frame.

Historical information

Photograph of employees and possibly others at opening of I.C.I. FABRICS (LEATHERCLOTH) P/L, Deer Park Victoria in 1930.

Artwork - NETTLEFOLDS

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Wooden item with brown stained frame enclosing a green background on which the screws, nuts, and bolts made by NETTLEFOLDS PTY LTD are 'sewn' on with thin wire to create the artwork.

Historical information

The artwork was previously displayed in the offices of Nettlefolds Pty Ltd in Sunshine, Victoria. That factory no longer exists and the site is now occupied by a retail complex.

Significance

Unusual form of artwork displaying the products that were made by Nettlefolds Pty Ltd in Sunshine

Inscriptions & Markings

NETTLEFOLDS SCREWS BOLTS & NUTS

Autobiography - Life and times of Arthur J. Templeton

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Typescript in a maroon display book with a maroon binding. Contains autobiography of Arthur J. Templeton.

Historical information

Autobiography as told by Templeton, Arthur John. Typed and edited by David Templeton (Arthur's brother) from November 1991-July 1992.

Inscriptions & Markings

LIFE & TIMES OF ARTHUR J. TEMPLETON

Membership Cards (1946) - SUNSHINE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

The membership cards are actually small booklets with the Single Membership Card being Yellow coloured and the Double Membership Card being Blue coloured.

Historical information

The hospital in King Edward Avenue Sunshine was originally known as St Andrew's Hospital and it was run by the Sisters Carruthers who in 1946 decided to retire. The hospital became the Sunshine & District Community Hospital on 15 September 1946. In the First Annual Report for the period 15 September 1946 to 30 June 1947, it is stated that of the 413 patients admitted 37.8% were members and 62.2% non members, and that the hospital was "...responsible for hospital attention under benefits to approximately 2000 residents." Just what the exact benefits were is unknown. Did members receive cheaper treatment, cheaper pharmaceuticals, guaranteed hospital bed, or something else? If anybody can provide the information it would be greatly appreciated. The 1946 cards show that L.W. Noble of Morris Street, Sunshine had a Single Membership which cost 26 shillings ($2.60) per annum, and that J.H.F Noble of the same address had a Double Membership which cost 39 shillings ($3.90) per annum. The cards were issued when payments for the first 4 weeks of membership were made, which were 2 shillings for Single and 3 shillings for Double. The stickers inside provide a record of continuing membership payments.

Significance

These two cards indicate that membership of the Sunshine & District Community Hospital was a way of receiving Treatment or Membership benefits. This type of membership of a hospital appears to be a forerunner to the present day memberships provided by the various Hospital Benefits Associations. The cards also provide information about the cost of being a member of the Sunshine & District Community Hospital in 1946, and how the membership payments were recorded.

Inscriptions & Markings

Single Membership Card No. 983 / Double Membership Card No. 297 / Sunshine & District Community Hospital (Incorporated) / King Edward Avenue Sunshine / N.B.--This Card Must be submitted when requiring Treatment or Membership Benefits

Club Sticker - BRAYBROOK & DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Dark blue, silver, and clear plastic sticker on right hand top corner of glass plate that previously was a side window of a car. Sticker has been left on the glass in case removal may damage it. BRAYBROOK AND DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB.

Historical information

A meeting was held on 18th August 1947 at the East Sunshine Community Hall with the aim of forming a motor cycle club. The name BRAYBROOK MOTOR CYCLE CLUB was decided upon "as it would cater for riders and non-riding members in all surrounding districts". The first President was Don Minahan with Bert Watson as Secretary. They had been members of the Auto Cycle Union whose members became dissatisfied with the prize money awarded, so the Victorian Motorcycle Association (VMCA) was formed. The President of the VMCA (Mr. A. Clarke) attended the meeting on 3rd September 1947 which was held in the Hall behind the Sunshine Theatre. This became the regular meeting place. The new Braybrook Club affiliated with the VMCA joining clubs from Altona, Coburg, Essendon, Newport and Preston. Membership mostly came from recreational motor bike riders looking for more structured competitive riding experience and enjoyment. The club conducted its events on Sunday afternoons and as sport at that time was not permitted on Sundays, they overcame that obstacle by seeking a silver coin donation (pointing out that "two bob" was expected). The events were mainly dirt scrambles over open land which today is known as "off road". The favourite sites were Sunshine's ample open spaces such as Glengala Road and McIntyre Road, as well as Arundell Road (Keilor) and Laverton. For track racing experience the club formed a very basic dirt track on the open land in Glengala Road west of the original Sunshine Golf Club, which was very popular on Sunday afternoons for both riders and spectators. In the early 1950's Motorbike and Sidecar races were also witnessed on some Sundays, on a track near the corner of McIntyre and Furlong Roads, North Sunshine. During 1950 the Braybrook members voted in favour of allowing the Sunshine Club to amalgamate with them and form the BRAYBROOK AND DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB. The merger took place at the meeting on 10th July 1950 when office bearers were elected. The club disbanded in the mid 1960's due to the massive residential development occurring in the Sunshine district, and so activities were merged with the Newport Club. The above information is mainly compiled from Sunshine Advocate articles published on 29/8/47, 12/9/47, and 30/6/50, and from written details supplied by Mr. J. N. Willaton. Further details or corrections from interested readers are welcome.

Significance

The Braybrook and District Motorcycle Club has not existed in its own right for several decades. The sticker depicting the club crest serves as a historical reminder that the club was once part of the local recreational scene.

Inscriptions & Markings

Braybrook and District Motorcycle Club

Photograph (1950) - The Migrant Ship HELLENIC PRINCE

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

New photograph made from a scanned copy of a circa 1950 Post Card featuring the ship on calm water.

Historical information

In 1949 the HELLENIC PRINCE with its 3 hospitals, 2 cinemas, and air conditioned accommodation was chartered by the International Refugee Organisation to transport displaced persons from Europe to Australia. Its first trip was to Sydney where it arrived with 1000 passengers on 5 December 1949. On the third trip it left Naples on 23 March 1950, and arrived in Fremantle on 20 April 1950, and in Melbourne on 25 April 1950. The men and women were separated for the voyage with my father sleeping on a hammock in a large room with other men, while my mother, my brother, and I had bunks in a shared cabin. On board were displaced persons ex Bagnoli Camp Italy, some of whom later built their bungalows on the grassy and rocky paddocks near Sunshine Victoria, and began to establish a new life in a new country. A few of the families that arrived on the third trip and purchased land in the Dunkeld Ave - Sandford Ave area of North Sunshine (Birmingham Estate) were Janczak, Kolanowicz, Mroz, Pawlak, Rasztabiga, Skrobalak, Szydlowski, Witkowski, and Zielinski. Some friends settled elsewhere in Sunshine. The family Tabaka went to West Sunshine just over the Derby Rd Bridge, while the family Wojcik went to Ardeer. The ship first started service in 1929 for the Royal Australian Navy as the HMAS ALBATROSS. It had a standard displacement of 4,800 tons and was 443 feet 7 inches (135.2 metres) long, and its top speed during trials reached 22 knots (41 km/hr). It was built at Cockatoo Island Dockyard as Australia's first Aircraft Carrier (seaplanes), but the aircraft that it was designed for were retired just before the ship went into service. A new plane specifically designed to work with the Albatross began operations after the ship was decommissioned in 1933, and placed into reserve in Sydney Harbour. Seaplanes continued to operate from the anchored ship. (Click on the Link 'HMAS Albatross (1)' situated above the Object Registration number to view pictures of the HMAS Albatross on the Navy web site). In 1938 the ship was recommissioned and transferred to the Royal Navy as part payment for the light cruiser Hobart. The ship then did military service for the Royal Navy during World War 2. It did patrol and escort duties in the southern Atlantic, and from mid 1942 in the Indian Ocean. By early 1944 the ship was converted so that it could repair landing craft and other support vessels off Sword and Juno beaches. The ship managed to return 132 craft into service and to save 79 others from total loss. On 11 August 1944 Albatross was torpedoed with the loss of either 50 or 66 personnel, but was able to be towed back to Portsmouth. After repairs she did a short service as a minesweeper depot ship, and following that was placed into reserve on 3 August 1945. In August 1946 the ship was sold for commercial use but the plans to convert it into a luxury liner or a floating cabaret fell through. The ship was again sold on 14 November 1948 to the British-Greek Yannoulatos Group, who renamed it HELLENIC PRINCE in recognition of the birth of Prince Charles and his Greek heritage. After conversion into a passenger ship the Hellenic Prince made several trips to Australia transporting displaced persons, however apparently not all trips were pleasant for the passengers. In the on board newsletter 'Kangaroo' dated 5 January 1951, the ship's master P. C. King expressed his indignation about the behaviour of passengers and made accusations of mutiny. According to some immigrants the conditions were appalling and overcrowded with 1200 passengers. Passengers were supposedly required to work and were paid with Woodbine cigarettes. The drinking water ran out, the freezer broke down, and fresh food that was brought on board went to the crew. Sea sickness was rife because the ship was rarely level due to malfunctioning pumps. (The newsletter 'Kangaroo' can be viewed at the Museum Victoria web site by clicking the Link 'Newsletter - Kangaroo'). In 1953 during the Mau Mau uprising the Hellenic Prince was used to transport troops to Kenya, and in 1954 the ship came to an end in a scrap yard at Hong Kong. THE ABOVE INFORMATION WAS COMPILED FROM; (1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Albatross_(1928) (accessed 11/2/2013), (2) An article by Graeme Andrews found at http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazine/2011/july-2011/The_boat_people_of_the _forties_and_fifties#.UuYY6ou4apo (accessed 27/1/14), (3) http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/273166/newsletter-kangaroo-hellenic-prince-5-jan-1951 (accessed 27/1/14), (4) National Archive search starting at; www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx (accessed 27/1/14), (5) http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3864781978 (accessed 29/1/14).

Significance

Hellenic Prince has a significance to Sunshine Victoria because some of the displaced people from Europe, who arrived in Melbourne on Anzac Day 1950, were among the first people to settle in the grassy and rocky paddock areas of North Sunshine. These settlers established a residential suburban area out of the paddocks. In those early days there were no services and the planned roads were basically just drawings on a map. The ship is also significant because it was named in recognition of the birth of Prince Charles. In the ship's former life as the HMAS Albatross the significance is that it was built in Australia as our country's first Aircraft Carrier (seaplanes).

Inscriptions & Markings

Hellenic Prince / Hong Kong

Sports Uniform (Netball) - TOTTENHAM NORTH PRIMARY SCHOOL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Two items of Netball Uniform. (a) Skirt - Maroon coloured wrap around sports skirt. (b) T-shirt - Yellow, Size 14 'Ryder' brand children's T-shirt, with maroon coloured triangular shaped School Logo printed on the front.

Historical information

This Netball uniform from circa 1986 was worn by a girl named Rebecca when she attended the Tottenham North Primary School. Tottenham North Primary School was opened on 29 May 1953 and was built on a South Road, Braybrook site purchased in 1929. After a fire in February 1961 the pupils were sent to the Powell and Curtin Street schools in Yarraville, and to the Maidstone and Sunshine East schools. The new building was officially opened on 22 August 1962 by A. McDonell, Director of Education, and it had sixteen classrooms, an art/craft room, and an assembly hall. Sporting achievements by the pupils included the 1963 football premiership and the 1968 cricket premiership. Over the years it has been called Tottenham Primary, Tottenham Crossing Primary, and Maidstone Primary. The different names resulted because of mergers with other local primary schools as the number of primary aged children in the Braybrook and Tottenham area changed. The school on South Road is now named Dinjerra Primary School. Dinjerra supposedly means 'out west' in the dialect of the original indigenous people of the area. Dinjerra Primary School is now the only neighbourhood government primary school in Braybrook Tottenham. The above information was sourced and compiled from: 1. 'Vision and Realisation - A Centenary History of State Education in Victoria - Volume 3', Education Department of Victoria 1973. 2. The Dinjerra Principal's website article at: http://www.dinjerra.vic.edu.au/91/Message-from-the-Principal.

Significance

The netball uniform serves as a historic reminder that a school named Tottenham North Primary School once existed. The uniform also provides us with information of the colours used on these types of sports uniforms, and of the design of the School Logo.

Inscriptions & Markings

TNPS. TOTTENHAM NORTH P.S. 4703 - (Printed inside triangle)

Honour Board - CHAIRMEN of BRAYBROOK ROAD DISTRICT 1860-1871 and PRESIDENTS of SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK 1871-1950.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Large brown stained wooden structure comprised of two board sections positioned side by side to make one display board. Contains in gold coloured lettering the names of people who served as CHAIRMEN of the BRAYBROOK ROAD DISTRICT and as PRESIDENTS of the SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK during the years 1860 to 1950.

Historical information

By around circa 1850 Braybrook was already well established, and during the gold rush period also became a staging point for prospectors on their way to the diggings. Local government for the area began on 28th May 1860 when the BRAYBROOK ROAD BOARD DISTRICT was proclaimed, however this authority was soon superseded on 23rd January 1871 when the SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK came into existence. The Shire of Braybrook continued as the local government authority for the district until the CITY OF SUNSHINE was proclaimed in 1951. This Honour Board was unveiled on Monday 18th March 1940 at 8:30 p.m., and was hung in the Council Chamber, at the Shire of Braybrook Hall, Sunshine.

Significance

The Honour Board is a historical record of the people who served as heads of local government in the district from 1860 to 1950.

Base Plate - New H.V.McKAY FOOTBRIDGE

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Stainless steel oval shaped plate with four holes for mounting to mesh sides of the walkway on the bridge. The plate has engraved lettering and lines intended to replicate a Sunshine Crossbar gate.

Historical information

The steel mesh and crossbar sides of the new H.V.McKay footbridge are designed to replicate the appearance of the old crossbar gates which were at the old H.V.McKay works. The new bridge contains 111 of these plates attached to the centre of all crossbar sections which enclose both sides of the walkway of the bridge.

Significance

The plate is a donated spare which was left over from the original manufactured plates that were attached to the new H.V.McKay footbridge. The plate is in our possession for safe keeping and for future reference.

Inscriptions & Markings

H.V.McKAY SUNSHINE (The small c is underlined which can't be replicated on this data base)

Certificate (Photocopy) - Certificate in Appreciation of services with the Australian Armed Forces

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Yellowish background. Grey scale diagrammatic image of warships, tank, and aeroplanes at the top. Vertical posts with swords and wreaths along the sides. At the bottom a diagrammatic image containing in colour the Union Jack and the Australian flag, the Shire of Braybrook Coat of Arms, the Australian Commonwealth Military Forces insignia, and a red coloured circular seal.

Historical information

Corporal Hugh Terence O'Reilly VX108560 was born in Temora, NSW on 25 September 1916. He later lived in Hampshire Road, Sunshine, Victoria, and enlisted at Sunshine with the Australian Army on 29 July 1942. He served in New Guinea, and at the time of discharge on 8 November 1945 was posted with the 22 Australian Infantry Battalion. Additional service number recorded is V37790. In civilian life Hugh Terence O'Reilly was employed in the manufacture of fibrous plaster boards.

Significance

The significance is that the Shire of Braybrook, and perhaps other councils, recognised their citizens who served in the Australian Armed Forces during World War 2, by presenting them with Certificates in appreciation of their military service.

Inscriptions & Markings

Presented to Hugh T. O'Reilly. The President, Councillors and Ratepayers of the Shire of Braybrook desire you to accept this Certificate in appreciation of your services with the Australian Armed Forces, and extend to you the grateful thanks of this Municipality for your noble effort for King and Country. Given under the Seal of President, Councillors and Ratepayers of the Shire of Braybrook, this second day of August, 1946. J. R. Parsons - President, 'illegible' - Shire Secretary

School Magazine - SUNVALE PRIMARY SCHOOL - 'A Scrap Book of Memories 1957 - 1997'

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Bright yellow covered 40 page book with green and white printing on the cover. A large emblem of the no longer existing SUNVALE PRIMARY SCHOOL is featured on the front cover, and a smaller version is on the back. The magazine is described as "A Scrap Book of Memories", and covers the years 1957 to 1997.

Historical information

The Sunvale Primary School was situated on Neil Street, near Hertford Road, Sunshine, on the former Moons paddock. The school was officially opened on the 9th of October 1957 with an enrolment of 214 students. Most of the students were transferred from the overcrowded Sunshine, and Sunshine East Primary Schools. The acting head teacher and five temporary teachers came from the East Sunshine Primary School from which about 170 students also came. During the later years the school operated as part of a three campus primary school complex formed between Sunvale Primary School, Sunshine East Primary School, and Braybrook Primary School. After the modern Sunshine Harvester Primary School was built on the East Sunshine Primary School site, the students from the Braybrook and Sunvale schools were transferred there. Sunvale Primary School was closed on 9th September 2009.

Significance

The magazine is a historical record of the initial 40 years of the school and of activities associated with the school. It contains the names of the Principals, from Mr. Bartels in 1957 to Mr. A. Dash in 1997, and also the names of Chairs of the School Council, from Mr. F. Sanford to Mr. T. Cuddy. It also features articles on the history of the school, the mothers club, the parents & friends members, special events & features, class & staff photographs, sport, and has a memories section. The special events & features section includes the school ball, camps, the Governor's visit in 1995, and Sunvale's famous Olympian staff member Pam Kilborn.

Inscriptions & Markings

SUNVALE Primary School S/PS HONOURS WITH HONOUR A Scrap Book of Memories 1957 - 1997

ICI Industrial Agreement (1952) - Between Federated Ironworkers' Association of Australia (Victorian Branch) and Imperial Chemical Industries of Australia and New Zealand Limited

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

20 page white paper booklet with brown stains and some wrinkling both possibly resulting from water contamination. The document is legible.

Significance

This 1952 document provides a historical record of the type of some of the manufacturing jobs at ICI Deer Park, and the pay scales and working conditions for the various jobs.

Inscriptions & Markings

Filed on Principal Registry Commonwealth Court of Conciliation and Arbitration 22nd September 1952

Photograph (1954) - Flooded Bridge

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

1954 Photograph of KOROROIT CREEK in flood and overflowing the DERBY RD BRIDGE in Sunshine. Short time later this bridge was declared unsafe and closed to vehicle traffic. The Sunshine Technical School building is in the background.

Photographs - WHITE CITY

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Two low aerial photographs of the White City Coursing stadium (Greyhound racing), plus a CD containing the same two images as well as a few other local images. The Coursing stadium was located about 500 metres from the Tottenham railway station on the down line towards Sunshine station. The photographs are thought to be from circa late 1920's to early 1930's, and one shows the view from the north facing south, while the other from the west facing east. The latter also shows built up areas of West Footscray and beyond.

Historical information

The White City Greyhound racing stadium was built at Tottenham in 1927, with the intention that mechanical lures and not live hares be used as pacemakers. The first meeting was held on 10 December 1927 but within 3 days, after strong lobbying by other sports bodies, the Victorian Government banned betting on greyhound racing if mechanical lures were used instead of live hares. This caused some financial problems to the shareholders. For a time the average weekly attendances were 9000, and races were held on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. Whippet Races, Goat Races, Monkeys on greyhounds, and Professional Foot racing were also tried to attract attendances. After 28 years of bureaucratic interference, and using live hares as greyhound pacemakers, the White City stadium held its last meeting on 29 December 1955. On 31 December the Victorian Government finally allowed betting on greyhound races that used mechanical lures. Manufacturing industry (Olex Cables) took over the White City site. Transport to the White City stadium was provided by train, with only a single platform available on the Down side of Tottenham, even though double train lines existed. Special train services were run from Flinders Street to the White City platform, and for a while a parcels coach was provided for the transport of dogs. As industry developed in the area some trains also stopped at the White City platform in the mornings and late afternoons to transport workers. In 1981 when the grade separation at Ashley Street next to the Tottenham station was completed, the new train lines on the Upper Level came into operation, and so the White City platform was closed down and eventually demolished. The above historical information was sourced from the booklet "GOING TO THE DOGS" by Tom Rigg.

Significance

Greyhound racing has always been popular in Melbourne's western suburbs. The White City stadium in Tottenham was a major centre for the sport until 1955, enabling those who could not afford race horses to take part in an animal racing sport. The demolition of first the stadium and years later the railway platform, has relegated the name White City and its past relevance to the western suburbs, into history.

Inscriptions & Markings

Only on the negatives at the State Library. We do not hold a copy of these.

WUNDERLICH TILE

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Off-white/beige architectural terra cotta tile with green coloured vitreous glaze on the face of tile. The rear of tile is ribbed.

Historical information

In the Sunshine Advocate of 21/03/1925 it is reported that Wunderlich Ltd decided to establish works in Sunshine for the manufacture of terra cotta and faience for the facing of city buildings. The product was intended to imitate granite, which would give a brighter appearance to concrete walls. A stone surface finish to the terra cotta could be achieved by applying a variety of colour combinations of glazes with a special 'spackle' gun. A building that is still standing and has the imitation granite finish terra cotta is the Nicholas Building at 21 - 47 Swanston Street, Melbourne. The Nicholas Building was designed by Harry Norris for Alfred Nicholas (Aspro fame), and was built during 1925 - 1926. The building is classified by the National Trust (B4079) and has the Victorian Heritage Register (H2119). During my employment in the factory from 1964 to 1969 the tiles were generally faced with single colour glazes. For some small jobs a light coloured mottled finish was achieved by spattering a white glaze over a cream coloured background or vice versa. There were no imitation granite jobs done, probably because of changing attitudes to the intended appearance of buildings. The green coloured tile in our collection is an unfinished (untrimmed) retain tile typical of the green coloured tiles that were made for the two stages of the Commonwealth Centre Building (colloquially known as the Green Latrine), that was once located on the corner of Spring and Victoria Streets in Melbourne. Similar coloured tiles were also used on some shop fronts. The Commonwealth Centre Building no longer exists, however the Century Building at 125 - 133 Swanston Street, Melbourne is covered with single coloured tiles (white). The Century Building was built in 1939, with the architect being Marcus Barlow. The Building is classified by the National Trust (B4045). Our tile along with several others were headed for dumping among the asbestos waste at the rear of the two Wunderlich factories (Circa 1968). With permission from the Factory Superintendent of the Terra Cotta factory they were saved and taken home. Several are still in use as pavers around a barbecue in Melton from where our tile was obtained. It should be noted that the Wunderlich Architectural Terra Cotta factory in Sunshine did not manufacture terra cotta roofing tiles, as reported in the Brimbank City Council Post-contact Heritage Study HO 073 former Wunderlich now West End Market. Wunderlich terra cotta roofing tiles were manufactured at their factory in Mitcham Road, Vermont. Document HO 073 contains at least 3 errors. Other References: (1). http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article74726224. (2). Armstrong, J. 'Investigating the historic and current use, manufacture and conservation of architectural terra cotta and faience USA & UK'.

Significance

This tile is an example of the type of facing that was applied to city buildings for over 40 years from the mid 1920's. As building techniques changed the need for this type of facing diminished, and so the factory was eventually sold and demolished. A free standing tall chimney stack which serviced two of the kilns was a significant feature of the North Sunshine skyline. A part of the history of Sunshine disappeared with the demolition of the factory and the chimney stack. Only the façade of the finishing section of the factory where tiles were trimmed and stored remains.

Book - Seek Light - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL 1955-1991

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Front cover has a maroon coloured background with a pair of diagrammatic light blue hands reaching towards an orange and yellow source of light. The words SEEK LIGHT and SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL 1955-1991 are also on the front cover. The rear cover is plain white coloured. The book contains 68 pages plus the covers.

Historical information

In December 1954 the Parents Association was formed and met at the Sunshine State School. In February 1955 classes commenced with First and Second Form students accommodated in several local Halls. In May 1955 the students transferred to the new building. Over the years many children with overseas background attended the school. The school ceased to exist in its own right in 1991, and amalgamated with five other local secondary schools to form the multi campus Sunshine College in 1992. The former Sunshine High School buildings on Ballarat Road are now part of the Sunshine Campus of Victoria University. The book contains photographs and written articles from the school years as well as photographs of those attending the 1991 reunion. The history of the school is covered in this book under the headings: (1) Beginnings, (2) The Sixties, (3) The Seventies, (4) The Final Years, and (5) Vale. The major historical feature of this book is however the 17 pages of Staff and Student names, and the years they were at the school.

Significance

This book is of historic and research significance. As well as providing some of the history of the school, the book has a comprehensive list of the staff and students that were at the school. Researchers will be able to determine the numbers of students commencing each year, the ethnic backgrounds of staff and students, and especially in the early years determine the spelling of the Surnames and Christian names of many students with overseas backgrounds. In the 1950's some Primary School teachers had the habit of changing students European Christian names to the English versions, and so the new names may have carried on to High School enrolment. For example some students named Ryszard were enrolled as Richard. Many students however were enrolled with correct ethnic spelling of their names. Although the list of students names appears to be comprehensive until about 1985, it appears to fail after that. It is known that some students names are missing in the final years.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inside the front cover is an acknowledgement by John Scott to the work of the 1991 Reunion Committee for the production of the book, with eight people and their roles specifically named. The secondary title of the book as written inside on page 1 appears to be "Sunshine High Reflections 1954 - 91"

Pennant - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Triangular shaped pennant made mainly from maroon coloured felt material, with yellow felt material used to make an edging stripe and two suspension loops along the short side of the triangle. Blue and yellow coloured inks are used to print the Sunshine High School 'SEEK LIGHT' logo and 'Sunshine hs' in antique style lettering.

Historical information

These pennants were introduced by Sunshine High School around 1959 in an attempt to instil among the students, a greater pride for the school. This particular pennant was hung for many years on the bedroom wall of the original student who bought it. It was later in the possession of a younger sibling who commenced going to Sunshine High School 19 years after the original student.

Significance

Sunshine High School existed in its own right for a relatively short time from 1955 to 1991. The school buildings now form part of the Sunshine Campus of Victoria University. This pennant is one of the few items in our possession which serve as a reminder that Sunshine High School was once part of the secondary education system in the Western suburbs of Melbourne.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Sunshine hs"

Photograph (1926) - QUEEN CARNIVAL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photographic image held within a glass faced brown wooden frame.

Historical information

The Queen Carnival was conducted by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Council under the patronage of the Loyal Orange Institution. Minnie Pouliot became the Queen of Victory in Sunshine, and later (2 October 1926) she was crowned Queen of Queens in the district coronation ceremony at Footscray, competing with Footscray, Yarraville, and Williamstown districts. Miss Pouliot was again crowned Queen of Queens at the final coronation (6 October 1926) which was held at the Temperance Hall in Melbourne. The other women in the photograph are: Misses E. Thompson and J. Milne (Maids of Honour), Misses Marie Pritchard and Joyce Dedrick (train-bearers), and the flower girl is Jean Percy. Minnie Pouliot was born in 1900 and lived at 169 Morris St, Sunshine from 1910 until her passing in 1983. She married John Caithness on 16 April 1939, and had one son Max Caithness. Minnie Pouliot was an active member of the Sunshine Choral Society, and she also served on the Sunshine Hospital Auxiliary. Miss Pouliot was employed as Secretary at H. V. McKay until 1939, and she was also generally involved in community activities. Details sourced from the Trove web site indicate that she was involved in the Sunshine Tennis Club (1925), the Sunshine Flower Show (1925), as the Treasurer of the Playground Committee (1927), and as Secretary and exercise participant of the Sunshine Presbyterian Girls' Club (1937). Minnie Pouliot was the singer at a wedding (1938), and in 1925 Pouliot and Caithness are recorded as being members of the Loyal Sunshine Lodge. The above details have been compiled from information on the Trove web site including the Sunshine Advocate of 9 October 1926, and also from information supplied by Mr Max Caithness.

Significance

This item is of historical significance because it indicates that an event such as the Queen Carnival used to be held 90 years ago, and It also reminds us that in the past membership of a Lodge was a normal part of the life of many citizens.

Inscriptions & Markings

No. 230 SUNSHINE LODGES No. 90 / PRESENTED TO SISTER M. POULIOT By the Sunshine Queen Carnival Committee 30-9-26 J. W. Symons Hopkins St Footscray

Photographs (1928) - 'QUARTER MILE' BRIDGE Construction

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Five B&W yellowing photos showing stages of construction of the Maribyrnong River Viaduct known as the Trestle Bridge but mainly known locally as the QUARTER MILE BRIDGE. It is a railway only bridge which runs over the Maribyrnong River between Sunshine North and Keilor East. A sixth image, which is not part of this set of photos, is included to show what the completed bridge looks like.

Historical information

One man lost his life during the building of this bridge. The bridge was constructed by the Victorian Railways between 1927 to 1929 to carry a new double track goods line. This enabled trains from all parts of the state except Gippsland to have direct access to the Tottenham marshalling and sorting yards. These yards were constructed in the 1920's to relieve congestion in the Melbourne Yard near Spencer Street station. The congestion was being caused by the construction of suburban passenger platforms associated with the electrification of the suburban railway network. Initially the bridge was for goods trains but during the Second World War it was also used by troop trains. When the standard gauge line was built in 1962 all trains to Albury and Sydney have used this route, thus avoiding travelling through Essendon and Pascoe Vale on the suburban tracks. The standard gauge track across the bridge took the place of one of the broad gauge tracks so broad gauge trains crossing the bridge in either direction have to now use the same track. The bridge is 1,257 feet (383.13 metres) long and 180 feet (54.86 metres) above the water level. It is just 63 feet (19.2 metres) short of a quarter mile in length between abutments. There is a similar bridge on the same railway line crossing the Moonee Ponds Creek between Gowenbrae and Glenroy, however it is smaller at 1060 feet (323.08 metres) length and 115 feet (35.05) height.

Significance

The bridge is now Victorian Heritage Registered under Number: H1197, and Heritage Overlay Numbers HO5, and HO107. On the Heritage Register it is named RAIL BRIDGE (ALBION VIADUCT). According to the Heritage Report the bridge is scientifically and architecturally important because of its large size, and because of the cost effective design features such as two girders per span (one for each track), the K bracing in the towers, and the broad flange beams as columns. When it was being built it was the largest trestle bridge in Australia, and until the Sydney Harbour bridge was constructed it was the highest railway bridge.

Voters Roll (1979) - WESTERN WARD of the CITY OF SUNSHINE

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Printed foolscap size pages bound with 2 metal fasteners at the top. Yellow coloured paper is used for the top and bottom covers. Contains names and addresses of eligible voters in the WESTERN WARD of the former CITY OF SUNSHINE.

Significance

The Voters Roll provides a 1979 historical snapshot of the names and addresses of property owners in the Western Ward of the former City of Sunshine.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Particulars on the Roll are in the following order:- Property Assessment Number; Roll Number; Surname; Christian Names; Voter's Address; Owner Type; Situation or other description of rateable property./NOTE: Except as otherwise stated the rateable property is also the Voter's address."

Honour Board - PAST PRESIDENTS of the SUNSHINE and DISTRICT FRIENDLY SOCIETIES DISPENSARY

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Brown stained wood particle board with picture frame type edging. The board has six straight sides however it is not typical hexagon shaped. The top is composed of three straight short edges to give an almost rounded edge to an otherwise oblong shaped bottom section.

Historical information

Friendly Societies originated in the industrial areas of the United Kingdom. The first society in Victoria was formed in 1839 and by 1913 more than half of the Victorian population was insured by Friendly Societies in some fashion. The societies were financed by Members' subscriptions and offered health benefits and other welfare services, before these services were provided by the government. Doctors were paid by the societies to treat members free of charge, and Dispensaries were established to provide members with subsidised quality medicines. The Sunshine and District Friendly Societies Dispensary was established on the 1st of March 1930 with a membership of 896, and it was located in Sun Crescent Sunshine. The membership grew to 1052 within 4.5 years, and the number of prescriptions dispensed in the 6 months prior to November 30,1935 totalled 10,535. The Dispenser was Mr. C. H. Semmens. Most Friendly Societies operated democratically with office bearers changed regularly to prevent power cliques. The Sunshine Dispensary appears to have operated in the same way as the societies that owned it. The Advocate of 10 July 1936 reports that the seven newly elected office bearers or delagates were from the Friendly Societies; A.N.A., M.U.I.O.O.F., P.A.F.S., and G.U.O.O.F. The names of all the seven people can be found on the Honour Board, indicating that they each have served at least one term as President of the Sunshine Dispensary. The health professions and the Labour Governments of the 1940's wanted to see the involvement of Friendly Societies in health care broken. The Commonwealth Free Medicine Plan appears to have been drawing customers away from Friendly Societies Dispensaries in general. The Sunshine Dispensary placed several advertisements in the Sunshine Advocate during late 1950 urging members to remain loyal to it. By the 1980's the increase in entrepreneurial clinics and the availability of take away medicine helped to vastly diminish the involvement of Friendly Societies in health care provision. The 1936 Sunshine Advocate refers to the Sunshine and District United Friendly Societies Dispensary, with the same office bearers as the Presidents on the Honour Board but on which the 'United' is missing from the name of the Dispensary. The 1950 advertisements were placed by Sunshine U.F.S. Dispensary of 23 Sun Crescent. It is thought that all three names refer to the same business, but the writer stands to be corrected. The above is a compilation of information sourced from Sunshine Advocates published in January and July 1936, and in September, October and November 1950. It also draws on an article written by Elizabeth Willis and published online by the the Department of History (University of Melbourne), and on an article written by Mr. Bill Kelly of the Australian Friendly Societies Pharmacies Association, and also on an article by Museum Victoria Australia. Corrections to what has been written are welcome from interested readers.

Significance

The Honour Board provides a historical record of the Presidents that served 61 terms on the Board of the Sunshine and District Friendly Societies Dispensary. It also provides a reminder that when a government does not adequately look after the welfare needs of its citizens, the people can band together to find ways of helping each other. The Sunshine Dispensary no longer exists, and a more recently established Community Pharmacy which operated in Hampshire Road could not compete against the discount pharmacies that have taken over. These new pharmacies sell a wide range of profitable product lines, as well as dispensing traditional prescription medications.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the board in gold coloured lettering are the names of 'brothers' and 'sisters' who served a total of 61 terms as PRESIDENTS of the SUNSHINE AND DISTRICT FRIENDLY SOCIETIES DISPENSARY, which was established on the 1st of March 1930. Eight of the men served more than one term with BRO. I. MILLER serving four terms, and BRO. F. RICHER serving three. The three women SISTER. I. REWELL, SISTER. C. JOHNSON, and SISTER. M.S. ARMSTRONG served one term each. There is no indication of when each person served, but it is believed that the term length was around six months and that the list is in chronological order. This conclusion results from seeing that BRO. W. ROONEY is the 11th listed President, and that the Sunshine Advocate of 10 July 1936 states that he was elected as the new President.

Princess Mary 'Tin' - Bullet Pencil - War Service Medals

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Brass rectangular box with an embossed and hinged lid. The lid features the profile of Princess Mary with an 'M' on each side, and the names of Britain's allies in 1914. The pencil fits into the brass bullet casing to give the appearance of a bullet. The WW1 British medals are: 1. 1914 - 1915 Star, 2. British War Medal 1914 - 1918 (Silver), 3. Allied Victory Medal.

Historical information

A 'Sailors & Soldiers Christmas Fund' created by Princess Mary had overwhelming response and so it was decided to give every person 'wearing the King's uniform on Christmas Day 1914' the brass tin along with a Christmas card and a picture of the princess, and items such as pipe, lighter, tobacco, and 20 cigarettes. Non-smokers and boys received a bullet pencil and a packet of sweets. Indian troops often received sweets and spices, and nurses received chocolates. Many of the items were sent separately from the boxes because of lack of space. Not all the tins could be sent out by Christmas and so those sent in January 1915 contained a New Year card. Shortage of brass meant that many did not received their tins until summer 1916, however by January 1919 some still did not receive them. After using up the contents many service people then used the tins to store small items. The brass tin, bullet pencil, and medals belonged to Pte George Nutting of the 2nd London regiment, and regimental number 2080/230442. After World War 1 George Nutting sailed for Melbourne on June 1, 1922 aboard the S.S. Borda. He then lived at several addresses in the Sunshine/Albion area including Dawson St, 32 King Edward Ave, and 15 Kamarooka St. At one stage he was involved in a window cleaning and gardening business, and both he and his wife Janet were very good dancers. George Nutting was also involved in the loyal Sunshine Lodge and was presented with a Past Grand's Collar in 1943. He lived at 15 Kamarooka St until he passed away on March 20th 1979 at the age of 85. The above information was sourced from http://www.kinnethmont.co.uk/1914-1918_files/xmas-box-1914.htm (accessed 1/3/2014), and from http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/1329146/tin-princess-mary-s-Christmas-gift-1914 (accessed 1/3/2014), and from research work done by Eva and Marie of S&DHS.

Significance

The Tin and Medals provide a visible historical record of the Christmas gift, and the awards that the average WW1 British service person received about 100 years ago. The bullet pencil may indicate that Pte G. Nutting was probably a non-smoker, at least around circa 1914.

Inscriptions & Markings

TIN: Imperium Brittanicum, Christmas 1914, Belgium, France, Servia, Japan, Russia, Monte Negro. MEDALS: 2080 Pte G. Nutting 2 - Lond.R

Photograph (1960) - SUNSHINE TOWN HALL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

This picture of the Sunshine Town Hall is a copy made from an unknown printed article. The building no longer exists.

Historical information

This building once contained the municipal offices and a public Town Hall for the City of Sunshine. The building was demolished and on the site the R.T. Pollard Gardens were established. The Gardens are shown in the second photograph.

Significance

Although the council built new municipal offices in Alexandra Ave, a Town Hall for public use was never rebuilt. The council considered that there were other halls available, such as the Mariana Hall or school halls, which could be hired for public or council functions.

Inscriptions & Markings

THE SUNSHINE TOWN HALL Saturday 21st May 1960

Photograph - Three Old Sunshine Factories

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

The image depicted in this photographic copy is believed to be from circa late 1920's to early 1930's, and shows the NETTLEFOLDS, SPALDING, and the PHOENIX FIREWORKS factories. These factories were located in North Sunshine on the north side of Ballarat Road near Albion Station. Nettlefolds and Spalding are on the corner of Ballarat Road and McIntyre Road, with Nettlefolds being on the west side of McIntyre Road and Spalding on the east. Phoenix Fireworks factory is composed of small huts, and is situated on the north side of Phoenix Street at the rear of the Spalding factory. The photograph also shows a row of residential houses on Garnet Street which is on the east side of the Phoenix factory. Ballarat Road is still an undivided road and on the south side is a plantation of trees that once stretched from near Albion Station to Anderson Road. Other roads visible are Suffolk Road and Westmoreland Road.

Historical information

These three factories clustered together and close to Albion Station provided manufacturing type of employment for several decades. All the factories have now disappeared and have been replaced by retail or service businesses. Spalding has been replaced by a Bunnings Hardware store, while the main retail outlet on the Nettlefolds site is Harvey Norman. Ironically part of the Phoenix Fireworks site is now occupied by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade, as well as other small businesses including a smash repair business, and a tyre retailer.

Significance

The photograph provides a historical record of some of the types of manufacturing industries that existed in Sunshine, before retail or service industries began to replace them. Many of the younger generation do not know that fireworks, screws, or some sports items were manufactured in Sunshine not so long ago, and where the factories existed.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nettlefolds Screw Works

Registration Plate - SUNSHINE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Tarnished brass plate with indented or carved lettering finished in black paint. The black paint is showing signs of deterioration. The plate has six holes for attaching it to a wall, and two of the corners have been bent probably during the removal of the plate. There is also a small amount of paint contamination on the edges.

Historical information

This brass registration plate was once attached to the former Sunshine District Community Hospital in King Edward Avenue, Albion, 3020. The hospital, under several names, served the local community since the 1920's. It became the Sunshine District Community Hospital in 1946 and was closed in 1989. The building was demolished and replaced by residential units. The plate was preserved by Carol Duvall a long serving nurse, who about 20 years later donated it to the Sunshine and District Historical Society.

Significance

This brass plate is a rare physical relic of what was once the main hospital serving the Sunshine area, and in which many local babies were born.

Inscriptions & Markings

REGISTERED OFFICE / SUNSHINE DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Souvenir Programme (1944) - DIAMOND JUBILEE celebration of the SUNSHINE HARVESTER

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Beige coloured cardboard document which is folded in two, and has brown coloured printing on three of the four sides. The document provides a detailed list of the entertainment and the presentations held in the Melbourne Town Hall, to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of the Sunshine Harvester Works.

Historical information

As a youth while working on his father's farm, Hugh Victor McKay became tired of the labour involved in winnowing wheat by hand. In 1884 he built the first machine in the world which did the winnowing in conjunction with the reaping. On Monday 21st August 1944, which coincided with the birthday of the late H. V. McKay, more than 2000 employees and friends of H. V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd were entertained at the Melbourne Town Hall, in celebration of the Diamond Jubilee of the Sunshine Harvester Works.The event was planned to "turn it on for the boys' in a manner befitting the occasion." The compere was Eric Pearce (of later TV newsreader fame) and the entertainment was provided by leading performers of song (W.M.Laird and Mary Miller), of music (John Robertson, W.M.King, and the Sunshine Brass Band), and of humour (Charles Sherman). The accompanists for some of the performances were Betty Miller and Eric Fox. Two films depicting the activities of the Sunshine Works were shown, and the managing director Mr C. N. McKay, was presented with a book by Mr Fred Bult who had 50 years service with the company. The book contained more than 1000 signatures from invited employees who had completed more than 10 years of service, Supper was provided in the Lower Hall, and the MC for dancing to the Synco-Harvesters Dance Band in the Main Hall was James Patrick. The committee which organised the function were Messrs. L.W. King (Chairman), G. Baker, J. Downing, R. Stewart, F. J. Lee, V. Armstrong, F. Fields, J. Aird, G. Wilson, J. G. McKay, T. N. McArthur, and R. Webb, with secretaries Messrs. G. Shaw and D. J. McKay. The above information was compiled from the Souvenir Programme, and from The Argus of Tuesday 22 August 1944 which can be viewed at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11357700, and from the Sunshine Advocate of Friday 30 June 1944.

Significance

The Souvenir Programme provides a historical record of how the Diamond Jubilee was celebrated, as well as the type of entertainment and the names of the entertainers and other people involved. It also lists the types of dances such as the 'Fox Trot' and the 'Pride of Erin' that were normal entertainment in 1944. The Souvenir Programme is also significant in what it does not tell us. There is absolutely no indication of what would be considered to be a supper for an event like this in 1944, especially in the Melbourne Town Hall. From a historical point of view it would be interesting to know.

Inscriptions & Markings

1884 1944 / SOUVENIR PROGRAMME / DIAMOND JUBILEE of the SUNSHINE HARVESTER / MELBOURNE TOWN HALL / Monday 21st Aug.

Photograph (1934) - SPALDING First Christmas Treat - 19 December 1934

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph enclosed in a glass faced brown stained wooden frame, showing employees of SPALDING and their children at the company's First Christmas Treat on 19 December 1934.

Historical information

This factory was situated on the corner of Ballarat and McIntyre Rds in Sunshine Victoria and manufactured sporting goods. The factory ceased to exist during the early 1990's and has been replaced by the first Bunnings Hardware Store in Victoria.

Significance

Photograph shows that Spalding was a company that provided a Christmas Treat for its employees and their children.

Inscriptions & Markings

SPALDING FIRST CHRISTMAS TREAT ---19 DECEMBER 1934---

Artwork - CORONATION

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Wood structure, comprising of a brown stained frame enclosing a green background, which is dedicated to the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2. Screws, nuts, and bolts made by NETTLEFOLDS PTY LTD are 'sewn' on to the green board with thin wire to form the artwork. At the bottom of the frame is a brass plate with Nettlefolds Pty Ltd engraved in script lettering.

Historical information

This artwork was previously displayed in the offices of Nettlefolds Pty Ltd in Sunshine, Victoria. That factory no longer exists and the site is now occupied by a retail complex.

Significance

Unusual form of artwork dedicating the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2, and displaying the products that were made by Nettlefolds Pty Ltd in Sunshine.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nettlefolds Pty Ltd.

Galvanised Wash Tub

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Oval shaped galvanised iron tub with two rigid handles, one at each end. The top of the tub is larger than the base. The galvanising is deteriorating in some parts which show a whitish appearance. There are some small dents, and a few chips in the galvanising where surface rust has appeared.

Historical information

Many displaced people who migrated to Australia after World War 2 brought similar tubs with them as part of their luggage. The tubs were valued by the migrants because they were used for washing clothes and other laundry items, and for bathing children and even adults. The tub in our possession was brought out to Australia in 1950 by the Pierzak family who eventually settled in North Sunshine, Victoria. The following story about the Pierzak family has been provided by the daughter Halina Wlodarczyk (nee Pierzak). The father Stanislaw Pierzak was born on the 26th of July 1916 in Zbrza, and the mother Teodozja (Teodozia) Szalas on the 5th of March 1919 in Goleciny, both villages in the Kielce district of Poland. In 1940 they were both taken by the German Army to work as slave labour on farms in Germany. Stanislaw worked in the Saxonia area and Teodozja near Dillingen. The work was hard, and when Teodozja contracted pneumonia she was told that she would not be given any food if she did not work. After the war the displaced persons, as they were called, were settled in various barracks and camps organised by the United States Army. Stanislaw and Teodozja married in Gablingen, Bavaria, Germany, and Halina was born in the camp at Gablingen in 1949. The displaced people were given the choice of several countries if they wanted to migrate from war torn Germany, and so the Pierzak family chose Australia. The Pierzak family set sail from Naples, Italy aboard the ship General M. B. Stewart and arrived in Sydney on the 17th of April 1950. The men and women had to stay in separate quarters, and many passengers were so sick that they did not think they would survive the journey. In Australia they lived in migrant camps in NSW at Bathurst, Orange, Parkes and Cowra. To pay off their fares to Australia migrants were required to work under contract for 2 years. Stanislaw Pierzak worked in Broken Hill NSW returning to visit his family every 3 to 4 months. The son John was born in the Red Cross building at the Parkes camp in 1952. In 1953 the whole family moved to Melbourne and lived in a converted garage in Victor Street, North Sunshine. In 1954 the family bought a bungalow on a block of land in Compton Parade, North Sunshine, where eventually they built a house. Stanislaw Pierzak worked at Steelweld in Ashley Street, Braybrook travelling there on his bicycle, while Teodozja Pierzak found work at Smorgon in West Footscray. Stanislaw and Teodozja Pierzak lived in North Sunshine for the rest of their lives, and Mrs Pierzak always said that Sunshine was the best place in the world.

Significance

Tubs like this which belonged to displaced people were highly valued possessions and are of historic significance. They were brought out to Australia after World War 2 by many migrating displaced families. The tubs were used for washing activities in the camps in Germany, and the migrant camps in Australia, and also when people lived in bungalows in Australia before they built houses with laundries and bathrooms.

Inscriptions & Markings

The number 70 is stamped on both sides.

Factory Rules (1926) - H. V. McKAY Pty. Ltd., Sunshine Harvester Works, May 1926.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Light tan colored cardboard document folded into four sections. Contains Factory Rules for employees of the H. V. McKay Sunshine Harvester Works in Sunshine Victoria - May 1926.