Stories Organisations Projects Login

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated Victoria

The Sunshine and District Historical Society was formed in 1972. The Society set out to work on the history of the areas that made up the City of Sunshine. As the Society's work became more widely known, it was entrusted with historical records and photographs. These included the records of Sunshine Technical School, dating from 1913, hard copy of the Sunshine Advocate and films made by J.J. Jackson. The strength of the Society's research encouraged the City of Sunshine to accept an offer from ICI Australia to take over the Hunt Club Hotel in Deer Park and establish a home for the Society in the caretaker's cottage.

Links

Contact Information

location
HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Road, Deer Park 3023. SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Road, Sunshine 3020. Victoria (map)
phone
+61 03 9249 4614
Contact

Opening Hours

Tuesdays 10am - 3pm at the HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Rd, Deer Park 3023. Wednesdays 2pm - 4pm at the SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Rd, Sunshine 3020.

Entry Fee

Free

Location

HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Road, Deer Park 3023. SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Road, Sunshine 3020. Victoria

View on Google Maps

The SHS collection covers a wide range of themes and timeframes. The material from the Sunshine Technical School and its association with HV McKay dates from 1913. The National Museum of Australia recently borrowed the first volume of the school's Minute Books. The SHS material relating to HV McKay is limited but compliments larger amounts in collections from other institutions such as Museum Victoria.

Significance

The SHS collection as a whole has historical significance for the extent that it conveys the aspects of the history of the community. In part it reflects the diversity of people that came to the district as well as focusing on some key industries such as McKay, Nettlefold, Spalding, Australian Defence Industry and Altona Explosives. The historical significance is tied up in the numerous ways the collection can be used to enhance the understanding of Sunshine and the local district. It also forms an important source of information for local and industrial history researchers, as well as having great interpretive potential for 'storytelling' and educational programs. Family historians are always keen to learn more about the industries that once employed their relatives, as well as thousands of others.

Meredith Blake 1 August 2013 3:31 PM

Great work S&DHS! Good to see some new items up and particularly enjoyed seeing the Phoenix Fireworks Sales Poster

Leave a comment

59 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (59) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

59 items

Factory Rules (1926) - H. V. McKAY Pty. Ltd., Sunshine Harvester Works, May 1926.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Light tan colored cardboard document folded into four sections. Contains Factory Rules for employees of the H. V. McKay Sunshine Harvester Works in Sunshine Victoria - May 1926.

Photograph (1926) - QUEEN CARNIVAL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photographic image held within a glass faced brown wooden frame.

Historical information

The Queen Carnival was conducted by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Council under the patronage of the Loyal Orange Institution. Minnie Pouliot became the Queen of Victory in Sunshine, and later (2 October 1926) she was crowned Queen of Queens in the district coronation ceremony at Footscray, competing with Footscray, Yarraville, and Williamstown districts. Miss Pouliot was again crowned Queen of Queens at the final coronation (6 October 1926) which was held at the Temperance Hall in Melbourne. The other women in the photograph are: Misses E. Thompson and J. Milne (Maids of Honour), Misses Marie Pritchard and Joyce Dedrick (train-bearers), and the flower girl is Jean Percy. Minnie Pouliot was born in 1900 and lived at 169 Morris St, Sunshine from 1910 until her passing in 1983. She married John Caithness on 16 April 1939, and had one son Max Caithness. Minnie Pouliot was an active member of the Sunshine Choral Society, and she also served on the Sunshine Hospital Auxiliary. Miss Pouliot was employed as Secretary at H. V. McKay until 1939, and she was also generally involved in community activities. Details sourced from the Trove web site indicate that she was involved in the Sunshine Tennis Club (1925), the Sunshine Flower Show (1925), as the Treasurer of the Playground Committee (1927), and as Secretary and exercise participant of the Sunshine Presbyterian Girls' Club (1937). Minnie Pouliot was the singer at a wedding (1938), and in 1925 Pouliot and Caithness are recorded as being members of the Loyal Sunshine Lodge. The above details have been compiled from information on the Trove web site including the Sunshine Advocate of 9 October 1926, and also from information supplied by Mr Max Caithness.

Significance

This item is of historical significance because it indicates that an event such as the Queen Carnival used to be held 90 years ago, and It also reminds us that in the past membership of a Lodge was a normal part of the life of many citizens.

Inscriptions & Markings

No. 230 SUNSHINE LODGES No. 90 / PRESENTED TO SISTER M. POULIOT By the Sunshine Queen Carnival Committee 30-9-26 J. W. Symons Hopkins St Footscray

Photograph - SWIMMING BATH, State School, Sunshine Victoria

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

The item is an enlarged photographic reproduction stuck to a 5 mm chipboard. The photograph is thought to be from circa 1910-1920. It shows a group of children, possibly all girls, in and around a small pool at the SUNSHINE STATE SCHOOL. The class appears to be under instruction.

Significance

Photograph demonstrates the swimming uniforms worn in the early 20th century, and indicates that swimming classes were taught at Sunshine State School.

Inscriptions & Markings

Swimming Bath, State School, Sunshine

Pennant - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Triangular shaped pennant made mainly from maroon coloured felt material, with yellow felt material used to make an edging stripe and two suspension loops along the short side of the triangle. Blue and yellow coloured inks are used to print the Sunshine High School 'SEEK LIGHT' logo and 'Sunshine hs' in antique style lettering.

Historical information

These pennants were introduced by Sunshine High School around 1959 in an attempt to instil among the students, a greater pride for the school. This particular pennant was hung for many years on the bedroom wall of the original student who bought it. It was later in the possession of a younger sibling who commenced going to Sunshine High School 19 years after the original student.

Significance

Sunshine High School existed in its own right for a relatively short time from 1955 to 1991. The school buildings now form part of the Sunshine Campus of Victoria University. This pennant is one of the few items in our possession which serve as a reminder that Sunshine High School was once part of the secondary education system in the Western suburbs of Melbourne.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Sunshine hs"

Artwork - CORONATION

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Wood structure, comprising of a brown stained frame enclosing a green background, which is dedicated to the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2. Screws, nuts, and bolts made by NETTLEFOLDS PTY LTD are 'sewn' on to the green board with thin wire to form the artwork. At the bottom of the frame is a brass plate with Nettlefolds Pty Ltd engraved in script lettering.

Historical information

This artwork was previously displayed in the offices of Nettlefolds Pty Ltd in Sunshine, Victoria. That factory no longer exists and the site is now occupied by a retail complex.

Significance

Unusual form of artwork dedicating the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2, and displaying the products that were made by Nettlefolds Pty Ltd in Sunshine.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nettlefolds Pty Ltd.

Factory Rules (1913) - H. V. McKAY Pty. Ltd., Sunshine Harvester Works, January 1913.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Blue faced, white cardboard document folded into three sections. Contains Factory Rules for employees of the H. V. McKay Sunshine Harvester Works in Sunshine Victoria - January 1913.

Galvanised Wash Tub

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Oval shaped galvanised iron tub with two rigid handles, one at each end. The top of the tub is larger than the base. The galvanising is deteriorating in some parts which show a whitish appearance. There are some small dents, and a few chips in the galvanising where surface rust has appeared.

Historical information

Many displaced people who migrated to Australia after World War 2 brought similar tubs with them as part of their luggage. The tubs were valued by the migrants because they were used for washing clothes and other laundry items, and for bathing children and even adults. The tub in our possession was brought out to Australia in 1950 by the Pierzak family who eventually settled in North Sunshine, Victoria. The following story about the Pierzak family has been provided by the daughter Halina Wlodarczyk (nee Pierzak). The father Stanislaw Pierzak was born on the 26th of July 1916 in Zbrza, and the mother Teodozja (Teodozia) Szalas on the 5th of March 1919 in Goleciny, both villages in the Kielce district of Poland. In 1940 they were both taken by the German Army to work as slave labour on farms in Germany. Stanislaw worked in the Saxonia area and Teodozja near Dillingen. The work was hard, and when Teodozja contracted pneumonia she was told that she would not be given any food if she did not work. After the war the displaced persons, as they were called, were settled in various barracks and camps organised by the United States Army. Stanislaw and Teodozja married in Gablingen, Bavaria, Germany, and Halina was born in the camp at Gablingen in 1949. The displaced people were given the choice of several countries if they wanted to migrate from war torn Germany, and so the Pierzak family chose Australia. The Pierzak family set sail from Naples, Italy aboard the ship General M. B. Stewart and arrived in Sydney on the 17th of April 1950. The men and women had to stay in separate quarters, and many passengers were so sick that they did not think they would survive the journey. In Australia they lived in migrant camps in NSW at Bathurst, Orange, Parkes and Cowra. To pay off their fares to Australia migrants were required to work under contract for 2 years. Stanislaw Pierzak worked in Broken Hill NSW returning to visit his family every 3 to 4 months. The son John was born in the Red Cross building at the Parkes camp in 1952. In 1953 the whole family moved to Melbourne and lived in a converted garage in Victor Street, North Sunshine. In 1954 the family bought a bungalow on a block of land in Compton Parade, North Sunshine, where eventually they built a house. Stanislaw Pierzak worked at Steelweld in Ashley Street, Braybrook travelling there on his bicycle, while Teodozja Pierzak found work at Smorgon in West Footscray. Stanislaw and Teodozja Pierzak lived in North Sunshine for the rest of their lives, and Mrs Pierzak always said that Sunshine was the best place in the world.

Significance

Tubs like this which belonged to displaced people were highly valued possessions and are of historic significance. They were brought out to Australia after World War 2 by many migrating displaced families. The tubs were used for washing activities in the camps in Germany, and the migrant camps in Australia, and also when people lived in bungalows in Australia before they built houses with laundries and bathrooms.

Inscriptions & Markings

The number 70 is stamped on both sides.

Honour Board - SPALDING 25 Years Service Roll

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Brown stained wooden board with wave shaped top which is about 14 cm less wide than the base. The names of employees who have provided 25 years of loyal service are recorded on the board in gold coloured lettering.

Historical information

The Spalding factory was located at the intersection of Ballarat Rd and McIntyre Rd in Sunshine (North East corner). The factory made sporting goods, and in 1972 Spalding acquired T. W. Sherrin Pty Ltd which was a major manufacturer of footballs used in Australian Rules football games. In the early 1990's the factory in Sunshine was demolished and replaced by the first Bunnings Hardware store to be erected in Victoria. In July 2003 Spalding was bought out by the Russell Corporation.

Significance

The board is a historical record of the loyal employees who provided at least 25 years of service to Spalding or to T. W. Sherrin Pty Ltd.

Inscriptions & Markings

The board contains the names of 50 workers who had reached the 25 year service milestone at SPALDING, and also the names of 4 employees who did the same at T. W. SHERRIN Pty Ltd. The first people reached this milestone in 1950 and the last person is recorded as reaching this in 1981.

School Magazine - SUNVALE PRIMARY SCHOOL - 'A Scrap Book of Memories 1957 - 1997'

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Bright yellow covered 40 page book with green and white printing on the cover. A large emblem of the no longer existing SUNVALE PRIMARY SCHOOL is featured on the front cover, and a smaller version is on the back. The magazine is described as "A Scrap Book of Memories", and covers the years 1957 to 1997.

Historical information

The Sunvale Primary School was situated on Neil Street, near Hertford Road, Sunshine, on the former Moons paddock. The school was officially opened on the 9th of October 1957 with an enrolment of 214 students. Most of the students were transferred from the overcrowded Sunshine, and Sunshine East Primary Schools. The acting head teacher and five temporary teachers came from the East Sunshine Primary School from which about 170 students also came. During the later years the school operated as part of a three campus primary school complex formed between Sunvale Primary School, Sunshine East Primary School, and Braybrook Primary School. After the modern Sunshine Harvester Primary School was built on the East Sunshine Primary School site, the students from the Braybrook and Sunvale schools were transferred there. Sunvale Primary School was closed on 9th September 2009.

Significance

The magazine is a historical record of the initial 40 years of the school and of activities associated with the school. It contains the names of the Principals, from Mr. Bartels in 1957 to Mr. A. Dash in 1997, and also the names of Chairs of the School Council, from Mr. F. Sanford to Mr. T. Cuddy. It also features articles on the history of the school, the mothers club, the parents & friends members, special events & features, class & staff photographs, sport, and has a memories section. The special events & features section includes the school ball, camps, the Governor's visit in 1995, and Sunvale's famous Olympian staff member Pam Kilborn.

Inscriptions & Markings

SUNVALE Primary School S/PS HONOURS WITH HONOUR A Scrap Book of Memories 1957 - 1997