Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated Victoria

The Sunshine and District Historical Society was formed in 1972. The Society set out to work on the history of the areas that made up the City of Sunshine. As the Society's work became more widely known, it was entrusted with historical records and photographs. These included the records of Sunshine Technical School, dating from 1913, hard copy of the Sunshine Advocate and films made by J.J. Jackson. The strength of the Society's research encouraged the City of Sunshine to accept an offer from ICI Australia to take over the Hunt Club Hotel in Deer Park and establish a home for the Society in the caretaker's cottage.

Links

Contact Information

location
Sunshine & District Historical Society Incorporated PO Box 720 Sunshine Victoria 3020 (map)
phone
+61 03 9249 4614

Contact

Opening Hours

Tuesdays 10am - 3pm at the HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Rd, Deer Park 3023. Wednesdays 2pm - 4pm at the SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Rd, Sunshine 3020.

Entry Fee

Free

Location

HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Road, Deer Park 3023. SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Road, Sunshine 3020. Victoria

View on Google Maps

The SHS collection covers a wide range of themes and timeframes. The material from the Sunshine Technical School and its association with HV McKay dates from 1913. The National Museum of Australia recently borrowed the first volume of the school's Minute Books. The SHS material relating to HV McKay is limited but compliments larger amounts in collections from other institutions such as Museum Victoria.

Significance

The SHS collection as a whole has historical significance for the extent that it conveys the aspects of the history of the community. In part it reflects the diversity of people that came to the district as well as focusing on some key industries such as McKay, Nettlefold, Spalding, Australian Defence Industry and Altona Explosives. The historical significance is tied up in the numerous ways the collection can be used to enhance the understanding of Sunshine and the local district. It also forms an important source of information for local and industrial history researchers, as well as having great interpretive potential for 'storytelling' and educational programs. Family historians are always keen to learn more about the industries that once employed their relatives, as well as thousands of others.

Meredith Blake 1 August 2013 3:31 PM

Great work S&DHS! Good to see some new items up and particularly enjoyed seeing the Phoenix Fireworks Sales Poster

Leave a comment

59 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (59) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

59 items

Map (1967) - CITY OF SUNSHINE, June 1967

Key words

city of sunshine
june 1967
map
city
parish
boundaries
brimbank

Whitish paper map with black printing that is laminated in clear plastic film, and has a wood slat attached to the top edge. The June 1967 map is of the previous CITY OF SUNSHINE showing City and Parish boundaries, streets, railways, creeks, river etc.

Historical information

The City of Sunshine no longer exists. Part of the eastern area has been annexed by the City of Maribyrnong, and the rest of the old City of Sunshine has been amalgamated with the City of Keilor to form the larger City of Brimbank.

Significance

This 1967 map is a historical record of the City of Sunshine as it existed 27 years before the amalgamation of Councils, and the creation of the City of Brimbank in 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Purple ink stamps at top left hand and right hand areas showing address and contact details of 'Sunshine Industrial Promotion Centre.'

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Autobiography - Life and times of Arthur J. Templeton

Key words

arthur j. templeton
birth 1923
sunshine harvester co
h. s. taylor
waterloo ontario canada
apprenticeship
family
work in tasmania
president chamber of manufactures
leisure.

Typescript in a maroon display book with a maroon binding. Contains autobiography of Arthur J. Templeton.

Historical information

Autobiography as told by Templeton, Arthur John. Typed and edited by David Templeton (Arthur's brother) from November 1991-July 1992.

Inscriptions & Markings

LIFE & TIMES OF ARTHUR J. TEMPLETON

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Map (1939) - RAILWAYS OF VICTORIA, Including Passenger Mileage, 4 April 1939

Key words

victoria
railway map
1939
rail
passenger mileage

Map showing the RAILWAY LINES of VICTORIA plus PASSENGER MILEAGES as of 4.4.1939. The white map with black printing is enclosed within a glass faced brown stained wooden frame.

Significance

Historical record of the railway line system in the state of Victoria in 1939. Many of the railway lines no longer exist.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Air Raid Precautions (ARP) badges

Key words

arp. arp badge, air raid precautions, air raid precautions warden, warden, badges

Pressed metal round badges with pins. Main feature of badges is the large whitish lettering ARP on a red background. A black outlined crown and the word VICTORIA in red on whitish background is also on the badges. At the bottom of the badges in black are the letters DC plus the numbers of the badges.

Historical information

Mr Webb King was an Air Raid Warden during World War 2. These badges were found when his workshop was being cleared out, and so were donated to our society. The badges in our possession do not have the word WARDEN printed on them, like the image of the badge shown on the Darebin Heritage 'Air Raid Protection Services (ARP)' publication, or the image of a badge offered for sale on ebay. At this stage we are uncertain of why this is so. If anybody knows the answer then please leave a message on this site. During World War 2 Australian municipalities were expected to take precautions against air raids, with the Government campaigning to recruit men over 45 to be volunteer Air Raid Wardens. It was also common for women to become wardens. Wardens carried gas masks, helmets, and rattles or whistles. The wardens received 7 to 8 one hour sessions of training, and their chief duty was to advise people of precautions to take, and to ensure those precautions were taken. Air Raid Precautions included air raid drills, shelters (usually trenches), first aid, fire fighting, rescue of 'gassed' persons, evacuation drills, demolition and repair squads, monitoring of blackouts. Melbourne was deemed vulnerable to aerial attack because of its centralised port and industrial facilities and so Anti-aircraft guns were installed in Maribyrnong. By early 1942 more than 60,000 people voluntarily carried out Air Raid Precautions duties according to the Autobiography of Robert V. J. Padula OAM. As the threat diminished during 1943 and 1944 the need for air raid precautions was slowly reduced, and some shelters (trenches) were filled. The two photos showing Air Raid Wardens are out of copyright and have been sourced from the 'Argus Newspaper Collection of Photographs, State Library of Victoria.' The image showing one warden on Swanston Street Melbourne has been cropped to remove extras not connected with the photo. Other sources of information for this report are: (1) http://bpadula.tripod.com/autobiography/id100.html, (2) https://www.awm.gov.au/exhibitions/underattack/mobilise/precautions.asp, (3) http://heritage.darebinlibraries.vic.gov.au/article/57.

Significance

The ARP badges are a historic reminder of the precautions that were taken in Victoria during the early years of World War 2. The precautions were an effort to minimise the harmful effects of a theoretical air raid. The war started to turn and so an air raid never came, however many people received valuable training in what precautions needed to be taken.

Inscriptions & Markings

Serial Numbers of the badges are: DC 361, DC 362, DC 364, DC 368, DC 370, DC 374, DC 375, DC 376, DC 377, DC 379, DC 388, DC 389.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Certificate (Photocopy) - Certificate in Appreciation of services with the Australian Armed Forces

Yellowish background. Grey scale diagrammatic image of warships, tank, and aeroplanes at the top. Vertical posts with swords and wreaths along the sides. At the bottom a diagrammatic image containing in colour the Union Jack and the Australian flag, the Shire of Braybrook Coat of Arms, the Australian Commonwealth Military Forces insignia, and a red coloured circular seal.

Historical information

Corporal Hugh Terence O'Reilly VX108560 was born in Temora, NSW on 25 September 1916. He later lived in Hampshire Road, Sunshine, Victoria, and enlisted at Sunshine with the Australian Army on 29 July 1942. He served in New Guinea, and at the time of discharge on 8 November 1945 was posted with the 22 Australian Infantry Battalion. Additional service number recorded is V37790. In civilian life Hugh Terence O'Reilly was employed in the manufacture of fibrous plaster boards.

Significance

The significance is that the Shire of Braybrook, and perhaps other councils, recognised their citizens who served in the Australian Armed Forces during World War 2, by presenting them with Certificates in appreciation of their military service.

Inscriptions & Markings

Presented to Hugh T. O'Reilly. The President, Councillors and Ratepayers of the Shire of Braybrook desire you to accept this Certificate in appreciation of your services with the Australian Armed Forces, and extend to you the grateful thanks of this Municipality for your noble effort for King and Country. Given under the Seal of President, Councillors and Ratepayers of the Shire of Braybrook, this second day of August, 1946. J. R. Parsons - President, 'illegible' - Shire Secretary

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Honour Board - CHAIRMEN of BRAYBROOK ROAD DISTRICT 1860-1871 and PRESIDENTS of SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK 1871-1950.

Key words

braybrook road district
shire of braybrook
chairmen
presidents
28 may 1860
23 january 1871
1950
sunshine.

Large brown stained wooden structure comprised of two board sections positioned side by side to make one display board. Contains in gold coloured lettering the names of people who served as CHAIRMEN of the BRAYBROOK ROAD DISTRICT and as PRESIDENTS of the SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK during the years 1860 to 1950.

Historical information

By around circa 1850 Braybrook was already well established, and during the gold rush period also became a staging point for prospectors on their way to the diggings. Local government for the area began on 28th May 1860 when the BRAYBROOK ROAD BOARD DISTRICT was proclaimed, however this authority was soon superseded on 23rd January 1871 when the SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK came into existence. The Shire of Braybrook continued as the local government authority for the district until the CITY OF SUNSHINE was proclaimed in 1951. This Honour Board was unveiled on Monday 18th March 1940 at 8:30 p.m., and was hung in the Council Chamber, at the Shire of Braybrook Hall, Sunshine.

Significance

The Honour Board is a historical record of the people who served as heads of local government in the district from 1860 to 1950.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1963) - SUNSHINE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Key words

sunshine community hospital
st andrews hospital
carruthers sisters
sunshine & district community hospital
king edward avenue hospital
9 king edward avenue

Black and white photograph of the former hospital which was of weatherboard construction, and which was located at 9 King Edward Ave, Albion Vic.

Historical information

The hospital was established (circa 1920's) by the Carruthers sisters, who both were qualified nursing sisters. It was later known as St Andrews. The hospital became the Sunshine & District Community Hospital on 15 September 1946. Many local people were born in this hospital. The First Annual Report for period 15 September 1946 to 30 June 1947 states that there were 182 births, and that 413 patients were admitted. The daily average of patients during this period was 15.3 of whom 37.8% were members and 62.2% non members. It ended its use as a hospital in 1989, and the buildings were demolished to be replaced by residential units.

Significance

This was the main hospital in the Sunshine area serving the local residents for several decades. Its usefulness as a local hospital became irrelevant when the significantly larger Sunshine Hospital in Furlong Rd became operational.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1934) - SPALDING First Christmas Treat - 19 December 1934

Key words

spalding
employees
christmas treat
1934
industries

Photograph enclosed in a glass faced brown stained wooden frame, showing employees of SPALDING and their children at the company's First Christmas Treat on 19 December 1934.

Historical information

This factory was situated on the corner of Ballarat and McIntyre Rds in Sunshine Victoria and manufactured sporting goods. The factory ceased to exist during the early 1990's and has been replaced by the first Bunnings Hardware Store in Victoria.

Significance

Photograph shows that Spalding was a company that provided a Christmas Treat for its employees and their children.

Inscriptions & Markings

SPALDING FIRST CHRISTMAS TREAT ---19 DECEMBER 1934---

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Membership Cards (1946) - SUNSHINE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Key words

hospital membership card
sunshine & district community hospital
leslie noble
l.w. noble
j.h.f. noble
94 morris street sunshine
king edward avenue sunshine
30 september 1946
no. 983
no. 297
membership cards (1946)

The membership cards are actually small booklets with the Single Membership Card being Yellow coloured and the Double Membership Card being Blue coloured.

Historical information

The hospital in King Edward Avenue Sunshine was originally known as St Andrew's Hospital and it was run by the Sisters Carruthers who in 1946 decided to retire. The hospital became the Sunshine & District Community Hospital on 15 September 1946. In the First Annual Report for the period 15 September 1946 to 30 June 1947, it is stated that of the 413 patients admitted 37.8% were members and 62.2% non members, and that the hospital was "...responsible for hospital attention under benefits to approximately 2000 residents." Just what the exact benefits were is unknown. Did members receive cheaper treatment, cheaper pharmaceuticals, guaranteed hospital bed, or something else? If anybody can provide the information it would be greatly appreciated. The 1946 cards show that L.W. Noble of Morris Street, Sunshine had a Single Membership which cost 26 shillings ($2.60) per annum, and that J.H.F Noble of the same address had a Double Membership which cost 39 shillings ($3.90) per annum. The cards were issued when payments for the first 4 weeks of membership were made, which were 2 shillings for Single and 3 shillings for Double. The stickers inside provide a record of continuing membership payments.

Significance

These two cards indicate that membership of the Sunshine & District Community Hospital was a way of receiving Treatment or Membership benefits. This type of membership of a hospital appears to be a forerunner to the present day memberships provided by the various Hospital Benefits Associations. The cards also provide information about the cost of being a member of the Sunshine & District Community Hospital in 1946, and how the membership payments were recorded.

Inscriptions & Markings

Single Membership Card No. 983 / Double Membership Card No. 297 / Sunshine & District Community Hospital (Incorporated) / King Edward Avenue Sunshine / N.B.--This Card Must be submitted when requiring Treatment or Membership Benefits

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1950) - The Migrant Ship HELLENIC PRINCE

Key words

hellenic prince
migrant ship
displaced persons
refugees
international refugee organisation
bagnoli camp
hmas albatross
yannoulatos group

New photograph made from a scanned copy of a circa 1950 Post Card featuring the ship on calm water.

Historical information

In 1949 the HELLENIC PRINCE with its 3 hospitals, 2 cinemas, and air conditioned accommodation was chartered by the International Refugee Organisation to transport displaced persons from Europe to Australia. Its first trip was to Sydney where it arrived with 1000 passengers on 5 December 1949. On the third trip it left Naples on 23 March 1950, and arrived in Fremantle on 20 April 1950, and in Melbourne on 25 April 1950. The men and women were separated for the voyage with my father sleeping on a hammock in a large room with other men, while my mother, my brother, and I had bunks in a shared cabin. On board were displaced persons ex Bagnoli Camp Italy, some of whom later built their bungalows on the grassy and rocky paddocks near Sunshine Victoria, and began to establish a new life in a new country. A few of the families that arrived on the third trip and purchased land in the Dunkeld Ave - Sandford Ave area of North Sunshine (Birmingham Estate) were Janczak, Kolanowicz, Mroz, Pawlak, Rasztabiga, Skrobalak, Szydlowski, Witkowski, and Zielinski. Some friends settled elsewhere in Sunshine. The family Tabaka went to West Sunshine just over the Derby Rd Bridge, while the family Wojcik went to Ardeer. The ship first started service in 1929 for the Royal Australian Navy as the HMAS ALBATROSS. It had a standard displacement of 4,800 tons and was 443 feet 7 inches (135.2 metres) long, and its top speed during trials reached 22 knots (41 km/hr). It was built at Cockatoo Island Dockyard as Australia's first Aircraft Carrier (seaplanes), but the aircraft that it was designed for were retired just before the ship went into service. A new plane specifically designed to work with the Albatross began operations after the ship was decommissioned in 1933, and placed into reserve in Sydney Harbour. Seaplanes continued to operate from the anchored ship. (Click on the Link 'HMAS Albatross (1)' situated above the Object Registration number to view pictures of the HMAS Albatross on the Navy web site). In 1938 the ship was recommissioned and transferred to the Royal Navy as part payment for the light cruiser Hobart. The ship then did military service for the Royal Navy during World War 2. It did patrol and escort duties in the southern Atlantic, and from mid 1942 in the Indian Ocean. By early 1944 the ship was converted so that it could repair landing craft and other support vessels off Sword and Juno beaches. The ship managed to return 132 craft into service and to save 79 others from total loss. On 11 August 1944 Albatross was torpedoed with the loss of either 50 or 66 personnel, but was able to be towed back to Portsmouth. After repairs she did a short service as a minesweeper depot ship, and following that was placed into reserve on 3 August 1945. In August 1946 the ship was sold for commercial use but the plans to convert it into a luxury liner or a floating cabaret fell through. The ship was again sold on 14 November 1948 to the British-Greek Yannoulatos Group, who renamed it HELLENIC PRINCE in recognition of the birth of Prince Charles and his Greek heritage. After conversion into a passenger ship the Hellenic Prince made several trips to Australia transporting displaced persons, however apparently not all trips were pleasant for the passengers. In the on board newsletter 'Kangaroo' dated 5 January 1951, the ship's master P. C. King expressed his indignation about the behaviour of passengers and made accusations of mutiny. According to some immigrants the conditions were appalling and overcrowded with 1200 passengers. Passengers were supposedly required to work and were paid with Woodbine cigarettes. The drinking water ran out, the freezer broke down, and fresh food that was brought on board went to the crew. Sea sickness was rife because the ship was rarely level due to malfunctioning pumps. (The newsletter 'Kangaroo' can be viewed at the Museum Victoria web site by clicking the Link 'Newsletter - Kangaroo'). In 1953 during the Mau Mau uprising the Hellenic Prince was used to transport troops to Kenya, and in 1954 the ship came to an end in a scrap yard at Hong Kong. THE ABOVE INFORMATION WAS COMPILED FROM; (1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Albatross_(1928) (accessed 11/2/2013), (2) An article by Graeme Andrews found at http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazine/2011/july-2011/The_boat_people_of_the _forties_and_fifties#.UuYY6ou4apo (accessed 27/1/14), (3) http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/273166/newsletter-kangaroo-hellenic-prince-5-jan-1951 (accessed 27/1/14), (4) National Archive search starting at; www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx (accessed 27/1/14), (5) http://www.flickr.com/photos/41311545@N05/3864781978 (accessed 29/1/14).

Significance

Hellenic Prince has a significance to Sunshine Victoria because some of the displaced people from Europe, who arrived in Melbourne on Anzac Day 1950, were among the first people to settle in the grassy and rocky paddock areas of North Sunshine. These settlers established a residential suburban area out of the paddocks. In those early days there were no services and the planned roads were basically just drawings on a map. The ship is also significant because it was named in recognition of the birth of Prince Charles. In the ship's former life as the HMAS Albatross the significance is that it was built in Australia as our country's first Aircraft Carrier (seaplanes).

Inscriptions & Markings

Hellenic Prince / Hong Kong

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

SPECIAL AWARD to No 1 FORGE O.F.M. - 4th LIBERTY LOAN (1943)

Key words

4th liberty loan
special award
ordnance factory maribyrnong
no 1 forge o.f.m.
oct - nov 1943
red pennant

Permanently sealed brown stained wood frame with a glass face. Enclosed behind the glossy glass is a triangular shaped pennant made of red felt material. The red colour appears to be somewhat faded. The inscriptions and markings on the pennant are in blue, gold, and white coloured inks.

Historical information

O.F.M. was the ORDNANCE FACTORY MARIBYRNONG. Up to the end of June 1943 and at a time when the wages were about £5 ($10) to £6 ($12) per week Australia had spent £1,106,000,000 (£156 per head) on the war effort. A lot of the money was spent at home in making war necessities such as armaments, munitions, boots, clothing, and in providing special training. Significant increases in numbers occurred in the personnel employed in the fighting services, and also in the work force involved in the war effort. During the financial year 1942-1943 the war cost Australia £561,743,000 (over a billion dollars), while the Income Tax raised from individuals totalled only 16.5% of this amount. To finance the war the Australian government had previously borrowed money from the public, and from institutions such as the savings banks, friendly societies, and life assurance societies, by running three successfully subscribed Liberty Loans. The institutions had contributed considerably more money to these Liberty Loans than the public, however it can be argued that the public members of these institutions had also contributed some money indirectly. The 4th Liberty Loan which opened on 5 October 1943 and closed on 9 November 1943 was intended to raise £125,000,000, with the government aiming for 750,000 subscribers. Bonds costing £10 each could be bought on a time payment scheme. A total of £126,408,000 was raised at two different interest rates and maturity dates, however the number of subscribers had only reached 567,533. Some newspaper reports of the time indicate that the low number of subscribers was a partial failure of the loan, because spare money in the community could lead to inflation at a time when goods were in short supply. The government set target quotas on how much money should ideally be raised in a particular district, and how many subscribers should ideally take part. Often these quotas proved to be excessive. The Special Red Pennant Award as given to the No 1 FORGE O.F.M. was normally for achieving the highest per capita contribution within each particular group. What is unknown at this stage is what other entities were in the same group, or how large the group was. There were other variations of the awards such as those given to country districts, where a star was placed on the left hand corner of the pennant if the money quota was reached, while two or three stars indicated that the quota was doubled or tripled. A bar was also included on the pennant if the quota of subscribers was achieved, while two bars indicated double the quota of subscribers. The above information was sourced from Trove newspaper articles at: (1) http://nla.gov.au.nla.news-article70439716, (2) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article141292541, (3) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11797265, (4) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11788072, and from (5) http://static.awm.gov.au/images/collection/pdf/RCDIG1070158--1-.PDF (see page 580).

Significance

This framed award has significance in that it serves as a historic reminder that the No 1 Forge O.F.M. and the Ordnance Factory Maribyrnong once existed within the Shire of Braybrook, and later the City of Sunshine, and that it was involved in the manufacture of ordnance for World War 2. It also serves as a historic reminder that it costs a huge amount of money for a country to be involved in a major war, and that a big contribution is required from the public to raise money and to produce goods for the war effort.

Inscriptions & Markings

The AUSTRALIAN COAT OF ARMS diagram plus the following writing: SPECIAL AWARD / 4th LIBERTY LOAN / Oct.-Nov. 1943 / No 1 FORGE O.F.M.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Honour Board - SPALDING 25 Years Service Roll

Key words

honour board
spalding
t. w. sherrin pty ltd
25 years service roll

Brown stained wooden board with wave shaped top which is about 14 cm less wide than the base. The names of employees who have provided 25 years of loyal service are recorded on the board in gold coloured lettering.

Historical information

The Spalding factory was located at the intersection of Ballarat Rd and McIntyre Rd in Sunshine (North East corner). The factory made sporting goods, and in 1972 Spalding acquired T. W. Sherrin Pty Ltd which was a major manufacturer of footballs used in Australian Rules football games. In the early 1990's the factory in Sunshine was demolished and replaced by the first Bunnings Hardware store to be erected in Victoria. In July 2003 Spalding was bought out by the Russell Corporation.

Significance

The board is a historical record of the loyal employees who provided at least 25 years of service to Spalding or to T. W. Sherrin Pty Ltd.

Inscriptions & Markings

The board contains the names of 50 workers who had reached the 25 year service milestone at SPALDING, and also the names of 4 employees who did the same at T. W. SHERRIN Pty Ltd. The first people reached this milestone in 1950 and the last person is recorded as reaching this in 1981.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Achievement Award (1981)

Key words

sunshine technical school
achievement award
world vision australia
1981

Paper certificate in a plain wooden frame with image on the left of a waif holding a bowl. Presented to SUNSHINE TECHNICAL SCHOOL by World Vision of Australia. Dated 30/9/81.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Outstanding Achievement Award / Presented to / Sunshine Technical School / by World Vision of Australia"

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Display Book - Local Historical Images - Remember when.... Sunshine Landmarks!!!

Key words

sunshine hospital
civic halls
churches
fire brigade
schools
hotels
harvester works
kororoit creek
swimming pools
sportes grounds
john darling flour mill
explosives and munitions factories

A4 size display book containing older pictures of landmarks in the SUNSHINE locality, plus recent images of the same sites. Images range from the 19th Century to 2010.

Significance

The image compilation provides a historical record of old landmarks in the Sunshine area, and also provides images of what the sites look like in recent times.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

ICI Industrial Agreement (1952) - Between Federated Ironworkers' Association of Australia (Victorian Branch) and Imperial Chemical Industries of Australia and New Zealand Limited

Key words

federated ironworkers' association
industrial agreement
ici
icianz
ironworkers'
1952

20 page white paper booklet with brown stains and some wrinkling both possibly resulting from water contamination. The document is legible.

Significance

This 1952 document provides a historical record of the type of some of the manufacturing jobs at ICI Deer Park, and the pay scales and working conditions for the various jobs.

Inscriptions & Markings

Filed on Principal Registry Commonwealth Court of Conciliation and Arbitration 22nd September 1952

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Receipt (1912) - HUGH V. McKAY - SUNSHINE HARVESTER

Key words

receipt no. 1773
sunshine harvester
hugh v. mckay
mr m. norton
1912
victoria stamp duty
1d

Very light tan coloured paper receipt No.1773 issued on 6/3/1912 by Sunshine Harvester / Hugh V. McKay to Mr M. Norton. The receipt has fire damage on the left side and so some details are missing. Details are hand written in ink in the spaces provided. A greenish coloured one penny (1d) Victoria Stamp Duty stamp is affixed.

Historical information

Interpreting from the details that can be read it is believed that on 6/3/1912 Mr. M. Norton paid by cheque the sum of 5 Pounds 19 Shillings and 5 Pence, of which 5 Pounds 3 Shillings and 11 Pence was for a Summons possibly issued on 23/2/1912, while 15 Shillings and 6 Pence was the charge for the costs of the Summons. This is not a document issued by a Court of Law so use of the word 'Summons' is confusing to us at this stage. Was it just standard practice to send out a bill and call it a Summons, or was Mr. Norton late in paying and so had to pay an extra charge after being 'summoned' a second time. Could this receipt be part of a 'promissory note' exchange, payment for which had to be summoned? Another thing that can't be explained at this stage is the use of the symbol % after the amount of money written in figures, just after the Pence amount. The symbol for Pence in those days, and until decimal currency, was d as can be seen from the Duty Stamp. In 1912 and before did % also stand for Pence when the money amount was written by hand, or could it have been a shorthand way of indicating something like 'portion of amount'? This receipt is very intriguing and so we will endeavour to try to fully understand the information it contains. If any person can provide information that may assist us, then please contact the Sunshine & District Historical Society.

Significance

The receipt is significant to our Society because it was issued by Sunshine Harvester / Hugh V. McKay more than 100 years ago. It also appears to contain information that at this stage is not fully understood, such as the use of the % sign, and why the word summons is used. Of further interest, but perhaps not surprising for the times, is that only Mr. is printed on the receipt. It appears that they never expected to issue these type of receipts to females.

Inscriptions & Markings

6 3 1912 ......ved by Cheque from Mr. M Norton ......ne the sum of Five ...... nineteen Shillings and five Pence, with ......being £5.3.11% of Enclosed Summons 23. 2.12 & 15/6 % Costs of Same.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Base Plate - New H.V.McKAY FOOTBRIDGE

Key words

base plate
stainless steel plate
crossbar gates
regional rail link
hv mckay footbridge
h.v.mckay footbridge
sunshine

Stainless steel oval shaped plate with four holes for mounting to mesh sides of the walkway on the bridge. The plate has engraved lettering and lines intended to replicate a Sunshine Crossbar gate.

Historical information

The steel mesh and crossbar sides of the new H.V.McKay footbridge are designed to replicate the appearance of the old crossbar gates which were at the old H.V.McKay works. The new bridge contains 111 of these plates attached to the centre of all crossbar sections which enclose both sides of the walkway of the bridge.

Significance

The plate is a donated spare which was left over from the original manufactured plates that were attached to the new H.V.McKay footbridge. The plate is in our possession for safe keeping and for future reference.

Inscriptions & Markings

H.V.McKAY SUNSHINE (The small c is underlined which can't be replicated on this data base)

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1982) - Part Sunshine Business Area - Sunshine Centre Plaza Stage 1

Key words

aerial view
1982
sunshine centre plaza
sunshine business area
massey ferguson buildings
old sunshine pool. waltons

Large cardboard mounted sepia photograph with thin white plastic edging. Grey painted outline shows the site in 1982 on which the SUNSHINE CENTRE PLAZA was to be built, as well the buildings that then existed in part of the business area of Sunshine.

Historical information

The Sunshine business area has undergone major change from industrial manufacturing to retail. This aerial photograph shows the industrial areas that existed on both sides of Hampshire Road in 1982, and which have since been replaced by two shopping centres and the library building. The photograph also shows the old swimming pool, and retail outlets that no longer exist such as Waltons, Clark Rubber, Fosseys and the original Safeway store. It also shows a vacant land where the current Centrelink office now exists. The photograph was originally used as a promotion for the Sunshine Centre Plaza retail complex.

Significance

This photograph is a historical record of what part of Sunshine looked like 3 decades ago.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sunshine Centre Plaza Stage 1

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Club Sticker - BRAYBROOK & DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB

Key words

motorcycle club
sticker
club sticker
braybrook and district motorcycle club
braybrook

Dark blue, silver, and clear plastic sticker on right hand top corner of glass plate that previously was a side window of a car. Sticker has been left on the glass in case removal may damage it. BRAYBROOK AND DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB.

Historical information

A meeting was held on 18th August 1947 at the East Sunshine Community Hall with the aim of forming a motor cycle club. The name BRAYBROOK MOTOR CYCLE CLUB was decided upon "as it would cater for riders and non-riding members in all surrounding districts". The first President was Don Minahan with Bert Watson as Secretary. They had been members of the Auto Cycle Union whose members became dissatisfied with the prize money awarded, so the Victorian Motorcycle Association (VMCA) was formed. The President of the VMCA (Mr. A. Clarke) attended the meeting on 3rd September 1947 which was held in the Hall behind the Sunshine Theatre. This became the regular meeting place. The new Braybrook Club affiliated with the VMCA joining clubs from Altona, Coburg, Essendon, Newport and Preston. Membership mostly came from recreational motor bike riders looking for more structured competitive riding experience and enjoyment. The club conducted its events on Sunday afternoons and as sport at that time was not permitted on Sundays, they overcame that obstacle by seeking a silver coin donation (pointing out that "two bob" was expected). The events were mainly dirt scrambles over open land which today is known as "off road". The favourite sites were Sunshine's ample open spaces such as Glengala Road and McIntyre Road, as well as Arundell Road (Keilor) and Laverton. For track racing experience the club formed a very basic dirt track on the open land in Glengala Road west of the original Sunshine Golf Club, which was very popular on Sunday afternoons for both riders and spectators. In the early 1950's Motorbike and Sidecar races were also witnessed on some Sundays, on a track near the corner of McIntyre and Furlong Roads, North Sunshine. During 1950 the Braybrook members voted in favour of allowing the Sunshine Club to amalgamate with them and form the BRAYBROOK AND DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB. The merger took place at the meeting on 10th July 1950 when office bearers were elected. The club disbanded in the mid 1960's due to the massive residential development occurring in the Sunshine district, and so activities were merged with the Newport Club. The above information is mainly compiled from Sunshine Advocate articles published on 29/8/47, 12/9/47, and 30/6/50, and from written details supplied by Mr. J. N. Willaton. Further details or corrections from interested readers are welcome.

Significance

The Braybrook and District Motorcycle Club has not existed in its own right for several decades. The sticker depicting the club crest serves as a historical reminder that the club was once part of the local recreational scene.

Inscriptions & Markings

Braybrook and District Motorcycle Club

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

School Uniform - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL

Key words

sunshine high school
uniform
frock
tunic
jumper
girls school uniform
maroon uniform

THREE ITEMS of girls uniform from the no longer existing SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL are individually displayed here. The items being: (1) Beige with maroon print cotton summer frock. (2) Maroon polyester/wool winter tunic. (3) Maroon V-necked wool/nylon jumper with light blue and gold coloured stripes around the cuffs and the neck.

Historical information

Sunshine High School existed in its own right from 1955 to 1991. During the early years the wearing of 'correct' uniforms was strictly enforced. Girls had to wear hats and boys had to wear caps as part of the uniform when outside the school grounds, or else they risked detention if caught without head wear by a Prefect. The boys therefore always had a rolled up cap in the back pocket to quickly slip on whenever there was danger of being nabbed by a Prefect. The girls had a winter uniform, which included thick beige stockings and a maroon blazer, and a summer frock in which they could be relatively cool during hot days. The boys had to wear their double breasted grey suits all year, with a jumper under the jacket in cold weather. The boys were supposedly being groomed as gentlemen, and so even during hot conditions were not allowed to remove their suit jackets in the class room. On about two very hot afternoons a year, the headmaster removed his jacket and so allowed the boys to do likewise. With single breasted suits becoming fashionable, it became difficult to find double breasted grey suits in the wide range of sizes required by students. In about late 1960 or early 1961 the uniform rules for boys were changed to enable them to wear single breasted grey suits. They still however were not allowed to remove their jackets in class on hot days. Over the years the rules for the wearing of uniforms were relaxed and in the late 1970's students were wearing either uniforms, or parts of uniforms, or their normal clothing. The wearing of uniforms at Sunshine High School eventually died out well before the School vacated the buildings on Ballarat Road, and amalgamated with other local secondary schools to form the Sunshine College.

Significance

The three items of clothing, although not a complete uniform set, serve as a reminder of the summer and winter uniforms, as well as the colours, that were worn by the girls at Sunshine High School during the early years. The jumper is identical in appearance to that worn by the boys and so it is not difficult to imagine how a male Sunshine High School student would look like with a grey suit and that type of jumper.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ecole brand winter tunic. Buxwear brand summer frock of Style S289. M.G.Magree brand jumper.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Seed & Fertilizer Drill Panel

Key words

agricultural machinery, sun, "sun" seed & fertilizer drill, h.v. mckay pty. ltd., d879, 1921, 1930, sunshine

Brown rusty cast iron end panel from a Seed & Fertilizer Drill

Historical information

The item is an end panel from the box section of a "SUN' Seed & Fertilizer Drill. It was manufactured by H.V. McKay Pty. Ltd. at their agricultural machinery manufacturing plant in Sunshine Victoria. The date of manufacture is estimated to be somewhere between 1921 and 1930 because of the imprint H.V. McKay Pty. Ltd. According to the Museum Metadata Exchange (http://museumex.org/oai/mv/2749) the Sunshine Harvester Works was reformed as H.V. McKay Pty. Ltd. in 1921 and in 1930 it became H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty. Ltd after a merger with the Canadian farm machinery manufacturer Massey Harris. The two events in 1921 and in 1930 are also confirmed by Churchward, M. (2006) at (http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/2010).

Significance

This early 20th century item is a relic of the agricultural machinery manufacturing past of Sunshine Victoria. The company started by H. V. McKay no longer exists and neither do the subsequent manufacturing companies H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty. Ltd., and the later Massey Ferguson (Aust.) Limited. Manufacturing has disappeared from this site being replaced by a shopping centre and other retail outlets, high rise apartments, law courts, police station, Vic Roads, and soon will house the new Brimbank Council offices and library.

Inscriptions & Markings

"SUN" / SEED & FERTILIZER DRILL / H.V. McKAY PTY. LTD / MAKERS / SUNSHINE / D879

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph - Three Old Sunshine Factories

Key words

nettlefolds
spalding
phoenix fireworks
screw works
ballarat road
mcintyre road
phoenix street
garnet street
westmoreland road
suffolk road.

The image depicted in this photographic copy is believed to be from circa late 1920's to early 1930's, and shows the NETTLEFOLDS, SPALDING, and the PHOENIX FIREWORKS factories. These factories were located in North Sunshine on the north side of Ballarat Road near Albion Station. Nettlefolds and Spalding are on the corner of Ballarat Road and McIntyre Road, with Nettlefolds being on the west side of McIntyre Road and Spalding on the east. Phoenix Fireworks factory is composed of small huts, and is situated on the north side of Phoenix Street at the rear of the Spalding factory. The photograph also shows a row of residential houses on Garnet Street which is on the east side of the Phoenix factory. Ballarat Road is still an undivided road and on the south side is a plantation of trees that once stretched from near Albion Station to Anderson Road. Other roads visible are Suffolk Road and Westmoreland Road.

Historical information

These three factories clustered together and close to Albion Station provided manufacturing type of employment for several decades. All the factories have now disappeared and have been replaced by retail or service businesses. Spalding has been replaced by a Bunnings Hardware store, while the main retail outlet on the Nettlefolds site is Harvey Norman. Ironically part of the Phoenix Fireworks site is now occupied by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade, as well as other small businesses including a smash repair business, and a tyre retailer.

Significance

The photograph provides a historical record of some of the types of manufacturing industries that existed in Sunshine, before retail or service industries began to replace them. Many of the younger generation do not know that fireworks, screws, or some sports items were manufactured in Sunshine not so long ago, and where the factories existed.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nettlefolds Screw Works

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Sports Uniform (Netball) - TOTTENHAM NORTH PRIMARY SCHOOL

Key words

sports uniform
netball skirt
netball t-shirt
tottenham north primary school
south road braybrook
tottenham primary school
maidstone primary school
tottenham crossing school
dinjerra primary school
tottenham north state school
state school 4703

Two items of Netball Uniform. (a) Skirt - Maroon coloured wrap around sports skirt. (b) T-shirt - Yellow, Size 14 'Ryder' brand children's T-shirt, with maroon coloured triangular shaped School Logo printed on the front.

Historical information

This Netball uniform from circa 1986 was worn by a girl named Rebecca when she attended the Tottenham North Primary School. Tottenham North Primary School was opened on 29 May 1953 and was built on a South Road, Braybrook site purchased in 1929. After a fire in February 1961 the pupils were sent to the Powell and Curtin Street schools in Yarraville, and to the Maidstone and Sunshine East schools. The new building was officially opened on 22 August 1962 by A. McDonell, Director of Education, and it had sixteen classrooms, an art/craft room, and an assembly hall. Sporting achievements by the pupils included the 1963 football premiership and the 1968 cricket premiership. Over the years it has been called Tottenham Primary, Tottenham Crossing Primary, and Maidstone Primary. The different names resulted because of mergers with other local primary schools as the number of primary aged children in the Braybrook and Tottenham area changed. The school on South Road is now named Dinjerra Primary School. Dinjerra supposedly means 'out west' in the dialect of the original indigenous people of the area. Dinjerra Primary School is now the only neighbourhood government primary school in Braybrook Tottenham. The above information was sourced and compiled from: 1. 'Vision and Realisation - A Centenary History of State Education in Victoria - Volume 3', Education Department of Victoria 1973. 2. The Dinjerra Principal's website article at: http://www.dinjerra.vic.edu.au/91/Message-from-the-Principal.

Significance

The netball uniform serves as a historic reminder that a school named Tottenham North Primary School once existed. The uniform also provides us with information of the colours used on these types of sports uniforms, and of the design of the School Logo.

Inscriptions & Markings

TNPS. TOTTENHAM NORTH P.S. 4703 - (Printed inside triangle)

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

School Uniform - SUNSHINE WEST HIGH SCHOOL

Key words

sunshine west high school, girls school uniform, carland, blazer, frock, school jumper, swhs, courage and wisdom, junior campus, west campus, sunshine college, 1960, 1991

Four items of girls school uniform plus 3 metal badges: (1) Dark blue blazer with school insignia on the left breast pocket. (2) Blue and white striped frock. (3) Light grey v-necked jumper with dark blue, light blue, and pink stripes around the neck and the cuffs. (4) Dark blue tie with light blue and pink diagonal stripes. The 3 badges are School Captain, House Captain, and Form Captain.

Historical information

Sunshine West High School started in 1960 with classes held in the old church and the church hall of St Mark's Anglican Church, Sunshine, Victoria, 3020. The school transferred to Lachlan Road, West Sunshine when the new building was completed. In 1961 the proportion of students from European background was almost 52% and those of British-Australian almost 48%. By 1965 the number of students totalled 699, with 28 of them being the first to do the Form 6 (Year 12) Matriculation exam. By 1969 the number of students had increased to the point that some classes were held in shelter sheds. In 1992 the multi campus Sunshine College was formed through the amalgamation and restructure of six schools: Sunshine West High School, Sunshine Technical School, Ardeer High School, North Sunshine Technical School, Sunshine High School, and Tottenham Technical School. The last two school sites were closed and are now occupied by Victoria University and the Tottenham English Language Centre respectively. Sunshine West High School became the junior West Campus of Sunshine College. The style of school uniform displayed here is not used by the Sunshine College. The girls had two sets of uniforms, one for the summer and one for the winter. The frock and blazer (as displayed) were for the summer but a grey straw hat, grey socks, and black shoes were also part of the compulsory uniform. The displayed grey v-necked jumper could be worn in both summer and winter. The winter outfit consisted of a blue shirt, a tie (as displayed), a grey box pleated tunic, blazer, grey stockings, black shoes, a blue felt hat and grey gloves. Of particular interest is that the boys did not have to wear the feminine looking style of grey jumper with the pink and blue stripes. They wore a dark blue jumper. There was a 'uniform inspection' carried out after the Monday morning assembly and the Prefects had the task of policing students to make sure that they wore the full complement of items, both to and from school. The 3 badges indicate that the female student was a member of the School Council, which had replaced the Prefects around 1969 or 1970, and she was also Captain of one of the 4 Sports Houses and of her Form. Sources of information: (1) http://www.sunshine.vic.edu.au/history.htm (accessed 4/11/2015). (2) Book - 'Harvester City' by Olwen Ford (page 412). (3) Discussions with two former students.

Significance

Sunshine West High School played a significant part in the secondary education of local children, however the school had a relatively short life span in its own right during the latter part of the twentieth century. The items of girls school uniform, the school insignia, and the 3 metal badges serve as a historical reminder of the previous existence of the school, and of the colours and designs of these items.

Inscriptions & Markings

Insignia on blazer - SWHS / COURAGE AND WISDOM

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Voters Roll (1979) - WESTERN WARD of the CITY OF SUNSHINE

Key words

voter's roll
city of sunshine
1979
western ward
rateable property
electoral roll
voters

Printed foolscap size pages bound with 2 metal fasteners at the top. Yellow coloured paper is used for the top and bottom covers. Contains names and addresses of eligible voters in the WESTERN WARD of the former CITY OF SUNSHINE.

Significance

The Voters Roll provides a 1979 historical snapshot of the names and addresses of property owners in the Western Ward of the former City of Sunshine.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Particulars on the Roll are in the following order:- Property Assessment Number; Roll Number; Surname; Christian Names; Voter's Address; Owner Type; Situation or other description of rateable property./NOTE: Except as otherwise stated the rateable property is also the Voter's address."

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Brownies Uniform - 3rd North Sunshine

Key words

brownies uniform
3rd north sunshine
1983 april action
furlong road
venture
footpath
brownies beret
brownies dress

Two clothing items: (a) Beret - Brown woollen beret with a sewn on Brownies cloth badge. (b) Dress - Brown sleeveless cotton dress with 2 metal badges attached and 6 sewn on cloth badges.

Historical information

Prior to 1996 young girls (7 - 11years) in the Girl Guide Association were known as Brownies. About circa 1983 this beret and dress were worn by a girl named Rebecca who was a member of the 3rd North Sunshine Pack - West Metro region. The 3rd North Sunshine Brownies were located in Furlong Road, North Sunshine 3020 (Melway 26 G6).

Significance

This brown uniform is a historic reminder that at one stage Brownies existed as part of the Girl Guide Association.

Inscriptions & Markings

3rd Nth Sunshine Pack - West Metro, 19 April Action 83, Venture, Footpath

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

WUNDERLICH TILE

Key words

wunderlich limited, terra cotta, architectural, commonwealth centre, spring street, sunshine, mcintyre, victoria street, faience, faence, imitation granite, nicholas building, century building

Off-white/beige architectural terra cotta tile with green coloured vitreous glaze on the face of tile. The rear of tile is ribbed.

Historical information

In the Sunshine Advocate of 21/03/1925 it is reported that Wunderlich Ltd decided to establish works in Sunshine for the manufacture of terra cotta and faience for the facing of city buildings. The product was intended to imitate granite, which would give a brighter appearance to concrete walls. A stone surface finish to the terra cotta could be achieved by applying a variety of colour combinations of glazes with a special 'spackle' gun. A building that is still standing and has the imitation granite finish terra cotta is the Nicholas Building at 21 - 47 Swanston Street, Melbourne. The Nicholas Building was designed by Harry Norris for Alfred Nicholas (Aspro fame), and was built during 1925 - 1926. The building is classified by the National Trust (B4079) and has the Victorian Heritage Register (H2119). During my employment in the factory from 1964 to 1969 the tiles were generally faced with single colour glazes. For some small jobs a light coloured mottled finish was achieved by spattering a white glaze over a cream coloured background or vice versa. There were no imitation granite jobs done, probably because of changing attitudes to the intended appearance of buildings. The green coloured tile in our collection is an unfinished (untrimmed) retain tile typical of the green coloured tiles that were made for the two stages of the Commonwealth Centre Building (colloquially known as the Green Latrine), that was once located on the corner of Spring and Victoria Streets in Melbourne. Similar coloured tiles were also used on some shop fronts. The Commonwealth Centre Building no longer exists, however the Century Building at 125 - 133 Swanston Street, Melbourne is covered with single coloured tiles (white). The Century Building was built in 1939, with the architect being Marcus Barlow. The Building is classified by the National Trust (B4045). Our tile along with several others were headed for dumping among the asbestos waste at the rear of the two Wunderlich factories (Circa 1968). With permission from the Factory Superintendent of the Terra Cotta factory they were saved and taken home. Several are still in use as pavers around a barbecue in Melton from where our tile was obtained. It should be noted that the Wunderlich Architectural Terra Cotta factory in Sunshine did not manufacture terra cotta roofing tiles, as reported in the Brimbank City Council Post-contact Heritage Study HO 073 former Wunderlich now West End Market. Wunderlich terra cotta roofing tiles were manufactured at their factory in Mitcham Road, Vermont. Document HO 073 contains at least 3 errors. Other References: (1). http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article74726224. (2). Armstrong, J. 'Investigating the historic and current use, manufacture and conservation of architectural terra cotta and faience USA & UK'.

Significance

This tile is an example of the type of facing that was applied to city buildings for over 40 years from the mid 1920's. As building techniques changed the need for this type of facing diminished, and so the factory was eventually sold and demolished. A free standing tall chimney stack which serviced two of the kilns was a significant feature of the North Sunshine skyline. A part of the history of Sunshine disappeared with the demolition of the factory and the chimney stack. Only the façade of the finishing section of the factory where tiles were trimmed and stored remains.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

School Clothing - SUNSHINE TECHNICAL SCHOOL

Key words

school jumper
school cap
football guernsey
tracksuit
sports bib
school clothing
uniform
sunshine technical school

The collection contains SEVEN ITEMS of clothing from the former SUNSHINE TECHNICAL SCHOOL of which images of SIX are individually displayed here. The clothing items are: (1) Grey wool/nylon V-neck jumper with green and red stripes bordered by thin black stripes, around neck, waist and cuffs. (2) Black cap with green panel containing a red STS logo on front of cap. (3) Green acrylic/nylon sleeveless football guernsey with wide red V-shaped band on front. Only one of the two guernsies is shown. (4) Green cotton collarless, short sleeve, and button up tracksuit top with red and black stripes around the sleeves and on both sides of the buttons. (5) Green cotton button up tracksuit short leg pants with red and black stripes along outside edge of legs. (6) Green cotton sports bib with black STS logo on front.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1905) - BRAYBROOK JUNCTION STATION

Key words

braybrook junction station
railway
sunshine
train
transport
1905
1907
1908
7 september 1885

Monochrome photograph showing Braybrook Junction Station and the Signal Box, plus station personnel. One of the personnel is holding a 'Staff' which was actually the authority for the train to proceed to the next Station or Signal Box. Photograph has substantial crazing in the upper left corner, a long diagonal crease, and dog eared corners.

Historical information

The Braybrook Junction railway station was opened on 7th September 1885 at the junction of the railway lines to Ballarat and to Bendigo. In 1904 H. V. McKay purchased the Braybrook Implement Works nearby, and in 1906 he moved his Sunshine Harvester Works agricultural machinery business from Ballarat to Braybrook Junction. In 1907 the station and township were renamed Sunshine after the Sunshine Harvester Works. On 20 April 1908 (Easter Monday), Sunshine station was the scene of the biggest train disaster in Victoria, when 44 people were killed and 400 injured from the 1100 people that were aboard the two trains. A Melbourne bound train from Bendigo collided with the rear of a train from Ballarat. There is a memorial plaque on platform 1 at the present Sunshine station. Sunshine station has recently been undergoing a complete rebuild. On 20 January 2014 the station, although not yet completed, was opened for train use, after being closed for several weeks.

Significance

This photograph is significant because it is a reminder that the present Sunshine station and the nearby area were once named Braybrook Junction. It also shows what the Station, the Signal Box, and the station personnel looked like in circa 1905.

Inscriptions & Markings

BRAYBROOK JUNCTN

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,