Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated Victoria

The Sunshine and District Historical Society was formed in 1972. The Society set out to work on the history of the areas that made up the City of Sunshine. As the Society's work became more widely known, it was entrusted with historical records and photographs. These included the records of Sunshine Technical School, dating from 1913, hard copy of the Sunshine Advocate and films made by J.J. Jackson. The strength of the Society's research encouraged the City of Sunshine to accept an offer from ICI Australia to take over the Hunt Club Hotel in Deer Park and establish a home for the Society in the caretaker's cottage.

Links

Contact Information

location
Sunshine & District Historical Society Incorporated PO Box 720 Sunshine Victoria 3020 (map)
phone
+61 03 9249 4614

Contact

Opening Hours

Tuesdays 10am - 3pm at the HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Rd, Deer Park 3023. Wednesdays 2pm - 4pm at the SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Rd, Sunshine 3020.

Entry Fee

Free

Location

HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Road, Deer Park 3023. SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Road, Sunshine 3020. Victoria

View on Google Maps

The SHS collection covers a wide range of themes and timeframes. The material from the Sunshine Technical School and its association with HV McKay dates from 1913. The National Museum of Australia recently borrowed the first volume of the school's Minute Books. The SHS material relating to HV McKay is limited but compliments larger amounts in collections from other institutions such as Museum Victoria.

Significance

The SHS collection as a whole has historical significance for the extent that it conveys the aspects of the history of the community. In part it reflects the diversity of people that came to the district as well as focusing on some key industries such as McKay, Nettlefold, Spalding, Australian Defence Industry and Altona Explosives. The historical significance is tied up in the numerous ways the collection can be used to enhance the understanding of Sunshine and the local district. It also forms an important source of information for local and industrial history researchers, as well as having great interpretive potential for 'storytelling' and educational programs. Family historians are always keen to learn more about the industries that once employed their relatives, as well as thousands of others.

Meredith Blake 1 August 2013 3:31 PM

Great work S&DHS! Good to see some new items up and particularly enjoyed seeing the Phoenix Fireworks Sales Poster

Leave a comment

59 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (59) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

59 items

Photograph (1926) - QUEEN CARNIVAL

Key words

m.pouliot, minnie pouliot, queen carnival, sunshine queen carnival, queen of queens, 30 september 1926, caithness, sunshine lodges 230 and 90, e. thompson, j. milne, marie pritchard, joyce dedrick, jean percy, 169 morris st sunshine, loyal orange institution, j. w. symons

Photographic image held within a glass faced brown wooden frame.

Historical information

The Queen Carnival was conducted by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Council under the patronage of the Loyal Orange Institution. Minnie Pouliot became the Queen of Victory in Sunshine, and later (2 October 1926) she was crowned Queen of Queens in the district coronation ceremony at Footscray, competing with Footscray, Yarraville, and Williamstown districts. Miss Pouliot was again crowned Queen of Queens at the final coronation (6 October 1926) which was held at the Temperance Hall in Melbourne. The other women in the photograph are: Misses E. Thompson and J. Milne (Maids of Honour), Misses Marie Pritchard and Joyce Dedrick (train-bearers), and the flower girl is Jean Percy. Minnie Pouliot was born in 1900 and lived at 169 Morris St, Sunshine from 1910 until her passing in 1983. She married John Caithness on 16 April 1939, and had one son Max Caithness. Minnie Pouliot was an active member of the Sunshine Choral Society, and she also served on the Sunshine Hospital Auxiliary. Miss Pouliot was employed as Secretary at H. V. McKay until 1939, and she was also generally involved in community activities. Details sourced from the Trove web site indicate that she was involved in the Sunshine Tennis Club (1925), the Sunshine Flower Show (1925), as the Treasurer of the Playground Committee (1927), and as Secretary and exercise participant of the Sunshine Presbyterian Girls' Club (1937). Minnie Pouliot was the singer at a wedding (1938), and in 1925 Pouliot and Caithness are recorded as being members of the Loyal Sunshine Lodge. The above details have been compiled from information on the Trove web site including the Sunshine Advocate of 9 October 1926, and also from information supplied by Mr Max Caithness.

Significance

This item is of historical significance because it indicates that an event such as the Queen Carnival used to be held 90 years ago, and It also reminds us that in the past membership of a Lodge was a normal part of the life of many citizens.

Inscriptions & Markings

No. 230 SUNSHINE LODGES No. 90 / PRESENTED TO SISTER M. POULIOT By the Sunshine Queen Carnival Committee 30-9-26 J. W. Symons Hopkins St Footscray

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1963) - SUNSHINE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Key words

sunshine community hospital
st andrews hospital
carruthers sisters
sunshine & district community hospital
king edward avenue hospital
9 king edward avenue

Black and white photograph of the former hospital which was of weatherboard construction, and which was located at 9 King Edward Ave, Albion Vic.

Historical information

The hospital was established (circa 1920's) by the Carruthers sisters, who both were qualified nursing sisters. It was later known as St Andrews. The hospital became the Sunshine & District Community Hospital on 15 September 1946. Many local people were born in this hospital. The First Annual Report for period 15 September 1946 to 30 June 1947 states that there were 182 births, and that 413 patients were admitted. The daily average of patients during this period was 15.3 of whom 37.8% were members and 62.2% non members. It ended its use as a hospital in 1989, and the buildings were demolished to be replaced by residential units.

Significance

This was the main hospital in the Sunshine area serving the local residents for several decades. Its usefulness as a local hospital became irrelevant when the significantly larger Sunshine Hospital in Furlong Rd became operational.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1960) - SUNSHINE TOWN HALL

Key words

sunshine town hall
r.t. pollard gardens
council building
ballroom. pollard gardens

This picture of the Sunshine Town Hall is a copy made from an unknown printed article. The building no longer exists.

Historical information

This building once contained the municipal offices and a public Town Hall for the City of Sunshine. The building was demolished and on the site the R.T. Pollard Gardens were established. The Gardens are shown in the second photograph.

Significance

Although the council built new municipal offices in Alexandra Ave, a Town Hall for public use was never rebuilt. The council considered that there were other halls available, such as the Mariana Hall or school halls, which could be hired for public or council functions.

Inscriptions & Markings

THE SUNSHINE TOWN HALL Saturday 21st May 1960

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1950) - The Migrant Ship HELLENIC PRINCE

Key words

hellenic prince
migrant ship
displaced persons
refugees
international refugee organisation
bagnoli camp
hmas albatross
yannoulatos group

New photograph made from a scanned copy of a circa 1950 Post Card featuring the ship on calm water.

Historical information

In 1949 the HELLENIC PRINCE with its 3 hospitals, 2 cinemas, and air conditioned accommodation was chartered by the International Refugee Organisation to transport displaced persons from Europe to Australia. Its first trip was to Sydney where it arrived with 1000 passengers on 5 December 1949. On the third trip it left Naples on 23 March 1950, and arrived in Fremantle on 20 April 1950, and in Melbourne on 25 April 1950. The men and women were separated for the voyage with my father sleeping on a hammock in a large room with other men, while my mother, my brother, and I had bunks in a shared cabin. On board were displaced persons ex Bagnoli Camp Italy, some of whom later built their bungalows on the grassy and rocky paddocks near Sunshine Victoria, and began to establish a new life in a new country. A few of the families that arrived on the third trip and purchased land in the Dunkeld Ave - Sandford Ave area of North Sunshine (Birmingham Estate) were Janczak, Kolanowicz, Mroz, Pawlak, Rasztabiga, Skrobalak, Szydlowski, Witkowski, and Zielinski. Some friends settled elsewhere in Sunshine. The family Tabaka went to West Sunshine just over the Derby Rd Bridge, while the family Wojcik went to Ardeer. The ship first started service in 1929 for the Royal Australian Navy as the HMAS ALBATROSS. It had a standard displacement of 4,800 tons and was 443 feet 7 inches (135.2 metres) long, and its top speed during trials reached 22 knots (41 km/hr). It was built at Cockatoo Island Dockyard as Australia's first Aircraft Carrier (seaplanes), but the aircraft that it was designed for were retired just before the ship went into service. A new plane specifically designed to work with the Albatross began operations after the ship was decommissioned in 1933, and placed into reserve in Sydney Harbour. Seaplanes continued to operate from the anchored ship. (Click on the Link 'HMAS Albatross (1)' situated above the Object Registration number to view pictures of the HMAS Albatross on the Navy web site). In 1938 the ship was recommissioned and transferred to the Royal Navy as part payment for the light cruiser Hobart. The ship then did military service for the Royal Navy during World War 2. It did patrol and escort duties in the southern Atlantic, and from mid 1942 in the Indian Ocean. By early 1944 the ship was converted so that it could repair landing craft and other support vessels off Sword and Juno beaches. The ship managed to return 132 craft into service and to save 79 others from total loss. On 11 August 1944 Albatross was torpedoed with the loss of either 50 or 66 personnel, but was able to be towed back to Portsmouth. After repairs she did a short service as a minesweeper depot ship, and following that was placed into reserve on 3 August 1945. In August 1946 the ship was sold for commercial use but the plans to convert it into a luxury liner or a floating cabaret fell through. The ship was again sold on 14 November 1948 to the British-Greek Yannoulatos Group, who renamed it HELLENIC PRINCE in recognition of the birth of Prince Charles and his Greek heritage. After conversion into a passenger ship the Hellenic Prince made several trips to Australia transporting displaced persons, however apparently not all trips were pleasant for the passengers. In the on board newsletter 'Kangaroo' dated 5 January 1951, the ship's master P. C. King expressed his indignation about the behaviour of passengers and made accusations of mutiny. According to some immigrants the conditions were appalling and overcrowded with 1200 passengers. Passengers were supposedly required to work and were paid with Woodbine cigarettes. The drinking water ran out, the freezer broke down, and fresh food that was brought on board went to the crew. Sea sickness was rife because the ship was rarely level due to malfunctioning pumps. (The newsletter 'Kangaroo' can be viewed at the Museum Victoria web site by clicking the Link 'Newsletter - Kangaroo'). In 1953 during the Mau Mau uprising the Hellenic Prince was used to transport troops to Kenya, and in 1954 the ship came to an end in a scrap yard at Hong Kong. THE ABOVE INFORMATION WAS COMPILED FROM; (1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Albatross_(1928) (accessed 11/2/2013), (2) An article by Graeme Andrews found at http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazine/2011/july-2011/The_boat_people_of_the _forties_and_fifties#.UuYY6ou4apo (accessed 27/1/14), (3) http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/273166/newsletter-kangaroo-hellenic-prince-5-jan-1951 (accessed 27/1/14), (4) National Archive search starting at; www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx (accessed 27/1/14), (5) http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3864781978 (accessed 29/1/14).

Significance

Hellenic Prince has a significance to Sunshine Victoria because some of the displaced people from Europe, who arrived in Melbourne on Anzac Day 1950, were among the first people to settle in the grassy and rocky paddock areas of North Sunshine. These settlers established a residential suburban area out of the paddocks. In those early days there were no services and the planned roads were basically just drawings on a map. The ship is also significant because it was named in recognition of the birth of Prince Charles. In the ship's former life as the HMAS Albatross the significance is that it was built in Australia as our country's first Aircraft Carrier (seaplanes).

Inscriptions & Markings

Hellenic Prince / Hong Kong

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1905) - BRAYBROOK JUNCTION STATION

Key words

braybrook junction station
railway
sunshine
train
transport
1905
1907
1908
7 september 1885

Monochrome photograph showing Braybrook Junction Station and the Signal Box, plus station personnel. One of the personnel is holding a 'Staff' which was actually the authority for the train to proceed to the next Station or Signal Box. Photograph has substantial crazing in the upper left corner, a long diagonal crease, and dog eared corners.

Historical information

The Braybrook Junction railway station was opened on 7th September 1885 at the junction of the railway lines to Ballarat and to Bendigo. In 1904 H. V. McKay purchased the Braybrook Implement Works nearby, and in 1906 he moved his Sunshine Harvester Works agricultural machinery business from Ballarat to Braybrook Junction. In 1907 the station and township were renamed Sunshine after the Sunshine Harvester Works. On 20 April 1908 (Easter Monday), Sunshine station was the scene of the biggest train disaster in Victoria, when 44 people were killed and 400 injured from the 1100 people that were aboard the two trains. A Melbourne bound train from Bendigo collided with the rear of a train from Ballarat. There is a memorial plaque on platform 1 at the present Sunshine station. Sunshine station has recently been undergoing a complete rebuild. On 20 January 2014 the station, although not yet completed, was opened for train use, after being closed for several weeks.

Significance

This photograph is significant because it is a reminder that the present Sunshine station and the nearby area were once named Braybrook Junction. It also shows what the Station, the Signal Box, and the station personnel looked like in circa 1905.

Inscriptions & Markings

BRAYBROOK JUNCTN

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph - SWIMMING BATH, State School, Sunshine Victoria

Key words

sunshine state school
swimming bath
pool
costume
class.

The item is an enlarged photographic reproduction stuck to a 5 mm chipboard. The photograph is thought to be from circa 1910-1920. It shows a group of children, possibly all girls, in and around a small pool at the SUNSHINE STATE SCHOOL. The class appears to be under instruction.

Significance

Photograph demonstrates the swimming uniforms worn in the early 20th century, and indicates that swimming classes were taught at Sunshine State School.

Inscriptions & Markings

Swimming Bath, State School, Sunshine

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1930) - LEATHERCLOTH PTY LTD - Original Employees

Key words

leathercloth
ici fabrics
employees
1930
industries

Photograph of 122 original employees of LEATHERCLOTH PTY LTD plus key list of names of the employees. The key list is situated above the wide panoramic photograph, and both are enclosed within a glass faced black stained wooden frame.

Historical information

Photograph of employees and possibly others at opening of I.C.I. FABRICS (LEATHERCLOTH) P/L, Deer Park Victoria in 1930.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1934) - SPALDING First Christmas Treat - 19 December 1934

Key words

spalding
employees
christmas treat
1934
industries

Photograph enclosed in a glass faced brown stained wooden frame, showing employees of SPALDING and their children at the company's First Christmas Treat on 19 December 1934.

Historical information

This factory was situated on the corner of Ballarat and McIntyre Rds in Sunshine Victoria and manufactured sporting goods. The factory ceased to exist during the early 1990's and has been replaced by the first Bunnings Hardware Store in Victoria.

Significance

Photograph shows that Spalding was a company that provided a Christmas Treat for its employees and their children.

Inscriptions & Markings

SPALDING FIRST CHRISTMAS TREAT ---19 DECEMBER 1934---

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1954) - Flooded Bridge

Key words

derby rd bridge
flood
kororoit creek
sunshine technical school
1954

1954 Photograph of KOROROIT CREEK in flood and overflowing the DERBY RD BRIDGE in Sunshine. Short time later this bridge was declared unsafe and closed to vehicle traffic. The Sunshine Technical School building is in the background.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1982) - Part Sunshine Business Area - Sunshine Centre Plaza Stage 1

Key words

aerial view
1982
sunshine centre plaza
sunshine business area
massey ferguson buildings
old sunshine pool. waltons

Large cardboard mounted sepia photograph with thin white plastic edging. Grey painted outline shows the site in 1982 on which the SUNSHINE CENTRE PLAZA was to be built, as well the buildings that then existed in part of the business area of Sunshine.

Historical information

The Sunshine business area has undergone major change from industrial manufacturing to retail. This aerial photograph shows the industrial areas that existed on both sides of Hampshire Road in 1982, and which have since been replaced by two shopping centres and the library building. The photograph also shows the old swimming pool, and retail outlets that no longer exist such as Waltons, Clark Rubber, Fosseys and the original Safeway store. It also shows a vacant land where the current Centrelink office now exists. The photograph was originally used as a promotion for the Sunshine Centre Plaza retail complex.

Significance

This photograph is a historical record of what part of Sunshine looked like 3 decades ago.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sunshine Centre Plaza Stage 1

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photographs (1928) - 'QUARTER MILE' BRIDGE Construction

Five B&W yellowing photos showing stages of construction of the Maribyrnong River Viaduct known as the Trestle Bridge but mainly known locally as the QUARTER MILE BRIDGE. It is a railway only bridge which runs over the Maribyrnong River between Sunshine North and Keilor East. A sixth image, which is not part of this set of photos, is included to show what the completed bridge looks like.

Historical information

One man lost his life during the building of this bridge. The bridge was constructed by the Victorian Railways between 1927 to 1929 to carry a new double track goods line. This enabled trains from all parts of the state except Gippsland to have direct access to the Tottenham marshalling and sorting yards. These yards were constructed in the 1920's to relieve congestion in the Melbourne Yard near Spencer Street station. The congestion was being caused by the construction of suburban passenger platforms associated with the electrification of the suburban railway network. Initially the bridge was for goods trains but during the Second World War it was also used by troop trains. When the standard gauge line was built in 1962 all trains to Albury and Sydney have used this route, thus avoiding travelling through Essendon and Pascoe Vale on the suburban tracks. The standard gauge track across the bridge took the place of one of the broad gauge tracks so broad gauge trains crossing the bridge in either direction have to now use the same track. The bridge is 1,257 feet (383.13 metres) long and 180 feet (54.86 metres) above the water level. It is just 63 feet (19.2 metres) short of a quarter mile in length between abutments. There is a similar bridge on the same railway line crossing the Moonee Ponds Creek between Gowenbrae and Glenroy, however it is smaller at 1060 feet (323.08 metres) length and 115 feet (35.05) height.

Significance

The bridge is now Victorian Heritage Registered under Number: H1197, and Heritage Overlay Numbers HO5, and HO107. On the Heritage Register it is named RAIL BRIDGE (ALBION VIADUCT). According to the Heritage Report the bridge is scientifically and architecturally important because of its large size, and because of the cost effective design features such as two girders per span (one for each track), the K bracing in the towers, and the broad flange beams as columns. When it was being built it was the largest trestle bridge in Australia, and until the Sydney Harbour bridge was constructed it was the highest railway bridge.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photographs - WHITE CITY

Key words

white city
greyhound racing stadium
coursing track
white city station
tottenham
whippet
gambling
live hare
mechanical lure

Two low aerial photographs of the White City Coursing stadium (Greyhound racing), plus a CD containing the same two images as well as a few other local images. The Coursing stadium was located about 500 metres from the Tottenham railway station on the down line towards Sunshine station. The photographs are thought to be from circa late 1920's to early 1930's, and one shows the view from the north facing south, while the other from the west facing east. The latter also shows built up areas of West Footscray and beyond.

Historical information

The White City Greyhound racing stadium was built at Tottenham in 1927, with the intention that mechanical lures and not live hares be used as pacemakers. The first meeting was held on 10 December 1927 but within 3 days, after strong lobbying by other sports bodies, the Victorian Government banned betting on greyhound racing if mechanical lures were used instead of live hares. This caused some financial problems to the shareholders. For a time the average weekly attendances were 9000, and races were held on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. Whippet Races, Goat Races, Monkeys on greyhounds, and Professional Foot racing were also tried to attract attendances. After 28 years of bureaucratic interference, and using live hares as greyhound pacemakers, the White City stadium held its last meeting on 29 December 1955. On 31 December the Victorian Government finally allowed betting on greyhound races that used mechanical lures. Manufacturing industry (Olex Cables) took over the White City site. Transport to the White City stadium was provided by train, with only a single platform available on the Down side of Tottenham, even though double train lines existed. Special train services were run from Flinders Street to the White City platform, and for a while a parcels coach was provided for the transport of dogs. As industry developed in the area some trains also stopped at the White City platform in the mornings and late afternoons to transport workers. In 1981 when the grade separation at Ashley Street next to the Tottenham station was completed, the new train lines on the Upper Level came into operation, and so the White City platform was closed down and eventually demolished. The above historical information was sourced from the booklet "GOING TO THE DOGS" by Tom Rigg.

Significance

Greyhound racing has always been popular in Melbourne's western suburbs. The White City stadium in Tottenham was a major centre for the sport until 1955, enabling those who could not afford race horses to take part in an animal racing sport. The demolition of first the stadium and years later the railway platform, has relegated the name White City and its past relevance to the western suburbs, into history.

Inscriptions & Markings

Only on the negatives at the State Library. We do not hold a copy of these.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph - Three Old Sunshine Factories

Key words

nettlefolds
spalding
phoenix fireworks
screw works
ballarat road
mcintyre road
phoenix street
garnet street
westmoreland road
suffolk road.

The image depicted in this photographic copy is believed to be from circa late 1920's to early 1930's, and shows the NETTLEFOLDS, SPALDING, and the PHOENIX FIREWORKS factories. These factories were located in North Sunshine on the north side of Ballarat Road near Albion Station. Nettlefolds and Spalding are on the corner of Ballarat Road and McIntyre Road, with Nettlefolds being on the west side of McIntyre Road and Spalding on the east. Phoenix Fireworks factory is composed of small huts, and is situated on the north side of Phoenix Street at the rear of the Spalding factory. The photograph also shows a row of residential houses on Garnet Street which is on the east side of the Phoenix factory. Ballarat Road is still an undivided road and on the south side is a plantation of trees that once stretched from near Albion Station to Anderson Road. Other roads visible are Suffolk Road and Westmoreland Road.

Historical information

These three factories clustered together and close to Albion Station provided manufacturing type of employment for several decades. All the factories have now disappeared and have been replaced by retail or service businesses. Spalding has been replaced by a Bunnings Hardware store, while the main retail outlet on the Nettlefolds site is Harvey Norman. Ironically part of the Phoenix Fireworks site is now occupied by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade, as well as other small businesses including a smash repair business, and a tyre retailer.

Significance

The photograph provides a historical record of some of the types of manufacturing industries that existed in Sunshine, before retail or service industries began to replace them. Many of the younger generation do not know that fireworks, screws, or some sports items were manufactured in Sunshine not so long ago, and where the factories existed.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nettlefolds Screw Works

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Plaque - COAT OF ARMS - Shire of Braybrook Victoria

Key words

coat of arms
shire of braybrook
a. h. walker
plaque
sunshine

Circular board of Masonite painted by A. H. Walker which is a true depiction of the Coat of Arms for the Shire of Braybrook. It is mainly blue, yellow and red coloured with black writing, and has images of a cow, sheep, and hay, and also indicates a reference to industry.

Historical information

From around circa 1850 Braybrook was already well established and became a staging point for prospectors on their way to the diggings. Local government for this rural area to the west of Melbourne came when the BRAYBROOK ROAD DISTRICT was proclaimed on 28 May 1860. This authority was superseded on 23 January 1871 with the formation of the SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK. The Shire of Braybrook existed for about 80 years during which time it experienced significant industrial growth. The Shire of Braybrook ceased to exist in 1951 when the CITY OF SUNSHINE was formed.

Significance

The Coat of Arms informs the observer that the Shire of Braybrook was initially a rural area with its images of a cow, sheep, and hay. The reference to industry however probably does not indicate adequately the large growth in industrial activity that occurred within the Shire.

Inscriptions & Markings

Shire of Braybrook Victoria / Dieu Et Mon Droit / By Industry / A. H. Walker

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Princess Mary 'Tin' - Bullet Pencil - War Service Medals

Key words

g. nutting
princess mary tin
christmas 1914
bullet pencil
british ww1 medals
1914 - 1915 star
british war medal 1914 - 1918
allied victory medal

Brass rectangular box with an embossed and hinged lid. The lid features the profile of Princess Mary with an 'M' on each side, and the names of Britain's allies in 1914. The pencil fits into the brass bullet casing to give the appearance of a bullet. The WW1 British medals are: 1. 1914 - 1915 Star, 2. British War Medal 1914 - 1918 (Silver), 3. Allied Victory Medal.

Historical information

A 'Sailors & Soldiers Christmas Fund' created by Princess Mary had overwhelming response and so it was decided to give every person 'wearing the King's uniform on Christmas Day 1914' the brass tin along with a Christmas card and a picture of the princess, and items such as pipe, lighter, tobacco, and 20 cigarettes. Non-smokers and boys received a bullet pencil and a packet of sweets. Indian troops often received sweets and spices, and nurses received chocolates. Many of the items were sent separately from the boxes because of lack of space. Not all the tins could be sent out by Christmas and so those sent in January 1915 contained a New Year card. Shortage of brass meant that many did not received their tins until summer 1916, however by January 1919 some still did not receive them. After using up the contents many service people then used the tins to store small items. The brass tin, bullet pencil, and medals belonged to Pte George Nutting of the 2nd London regiment, and regimental number 2080/230442. After World War 1 George Nutting sailed for Melbourne on June 1, 1922 aboard the S.S. Borda. He then lived at several addresses in the Sunshine/Albion area including Dawson St, 32 King Edward Ave, and 15 Kamarooka St. At one stage he was involved in a window cleaning and gardening business, and both he and his wife Janet were very good dancers. George Nutting was also involved in the loyal Sunshine Lodge and was presented with a Past Grand's Collar in 1943. He lived at 15 Kamarooka St until he passed away on March 20th 1979 at the age of 85. The above information was sourced from http://www.kinnethmont.co.uk/1914-1918_files/xmas-box-1914.htm (accessed 1/3/2014), and from http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/1329146/tin-princess-mary-s-Christmas-gift-1914 (accessed 1/3/2014), and from research work done by Eva and Marie of S&DHS.

Significance

The Tin and Medals provide a visible historical record of the Christmas gift, and the awards that the average WW1 British service person received about 100 years ago. The bullet pencil may indicate that Pte G. Nutting was probably a non-smoker, at least around circa 1914.

Inscriptions & Markings

TIN: Imperium Brittanicum, Christmas 1914, Belgium, France, Servia, Japan, Russia, Monte Negro. MEDALS: 2080 Pte G. Nutting 2 - Lond.R

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Receipt (1912) - HUGH V. McKAY - SUNSHINE HARVESTER

Key words

receipt no. 1773
sunshine harvester
hugh v. mckay
mr m. norton
1912
victoria stamp duty
1d

Very light tan coloured paper receipt No.1773 issued on 6/3/1912 by Sunshine Harvester / Hugh V. McKay to Mr M. Norton. The receipt has fire damage on the left side and so some details are missing. Details are hand written in ink in the spaces provided. A greenish coloured one penny (1d) Victoria Stamp Duty stamp is affixed.

Historical information

Interpreting from the details that can be read it is believed that on 6/3/1912 Mr. M. Norton paid by cheque the sum of 5 Pounds 19 Shillings and 5 Pence, of which 5 Pounds 3 Shillings and 11 Pence was for a Summons possibly issued on 23/2/1912, while 15 Shillings and 6 Pence was the charge for the costs of the Summons. This is not a document issued by a Court of Law so use of the word 'Summons' is confusing to us at this stage. Was it just standard practice to send out a bill and call it a Summons, or was Mr. Norton late in paying and so had to pay an extra charge after being 'summoned' a second time. Could this receipt be part of a 'promissory note' exchange, payment for which had to be summoned? Another thing that can't be explained at this stage is the use of the symbol % after the amount of money written in figures, just after the Pence amount. The symbol for Pence in those days, and until decimal currency, was d as can be seen from the Duty Stamp. In 1912 and before did % also stand for Pence when the money amount was written by hand, or could it have been a shorthand way of indicating something like 'portion of amount'? This receipt is very intriguing and so we will endeavour to try to fully understand the information it contains. If any person can provide information that may assist us, then please contact the Sunshine & District Historical Society.

Significance

The receipt is significant to our Society because it was issued by Sunshine Harvester / Hugh V. McKay more than 100 years ago. It also appears to contain information that at this stage is not fully understood, such as the use of the % sign, and why the word summons is used. Of further interest, but perhaps not surprising for the times, is that only Mr. is printed on the receipt. It appears that they never expected to issue these type of receipts to females.

Inscriptions & Markings

6 3 1912 ......ved by Cheque from Mr. M Norton ......ne the sum of Five ...... nineteen Shillings and five Pence, with ......being £5.3.11% of Enclosed Summons 23. 2.12 & 15/6 % Costs of Same.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Registration Plate - SUNSHINE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Key words

brass plate
registered office
sunshine district community hospital
king edward avenue

Tarnished brass plate with indented or carved lettering finished in black paint. The black paint is showing signs of deterioration. The plate has six holes for attaching it to a wall, and two of the corners have been bent probably during the removal of the plate. There is also a small amount of paint contamination on the edges.

Historical information

This brass registration plate was once attached to the former Sunshine District Community Hospital in King Edward Avenue, Albion, 3020. The hospital, under several names, served the local community since the 1920's. It became the Sunshine District Community Hospital in 1946 and was closed in 1989. The building was demolished and replaced by residential units. The plate was preserved by Carol Duvall a long serving nurse, who about 20 years later donated it to the Sunshine and District Historical Society.

Significance

This brass plate is a rare physical relic of what was once the main hospital serving the Sunshine area, and in which many local babies were born.

Inscriptions & Markings

REGISTERED OFFICE / SUNSHINE DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Replica of McKay Smithy

Key words

smithy
h. v. mckay
sunshine harvester works
drummartin
replica
massey harris
massey ferguson

Brown wooden building with bark roof. This building is a FULL SIZED REPLICA of the original SMITHY that was used by H. V. McKay.

Historical information

This Smithy is a replica of the building in which the first H. V. McKay harvester was built at Drummartin in northern Victoria in 1884. The original Smithy was moved from Drummartin to Sunshine Victoria where it remained for many years outside the H. V. McKay manufacturing plant. With the construction of the standard gauge railway line the road outside the Smithy was demolished, and the original Smithy was taken to the Melbourne Museum.The original Smithy is now in a fragile state and is no longer on public display at the Melbourne Museum. The site where the original Smithy stood in Sunshine was no longer available so the replica Smithy was erected a few hundred metres away, in the South East corner of Barclay Reserve on King Edward Ave, Albion 3020.

Significance

The replica Smithy permits the public to view a full sized model of the building which eventually led to the formation of the H. V. McKay Sunshine Harvester Works. This firm grew to being considered the main manufacturing plant in the southern hemisphere, and also led to the local area being renamed in 1907 from Braybrook Junction to Sunshine.

Inscriptions & Markings

THE SUNSHINE HARVESTER WORKS 1884

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

School Clothing - SUNSHINE TECHNICAL SCHOOL

Key words

school jumper
school cap
football guernsey
tracksuit
sports bib
school clothing
uniform
sunshine technical school

The collection contains SEVEN ITEMS of clothing from the former SUNSHINE TECHNICAL SCHOOL of which images of SIX are individually displayed here. The clothing items are: (1) Grey wool/nylon V-neck jumper with green and red stripes bordered by thin black stripes, around neck, waist and cuffs. (2) Black cap with green panel containing a red STS logo on front of cap. (3) Green acrylic/nylon sleeveless football guernsey with wide red V-shaped band on front. Only one of the two guernsies is shown. (4) Green cotton collarless, short sleeve, and button up tracksuit top with red and black stripes around the sleeves and on both sides of the buttons. (5) Green cotton button up tracksuit short leg pants with red and black stripes along outside edge of legs. (6) Green cotton sports bib with black STS logo on front.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

School Magazine - SUNVALE PRIMARY SCHOOL - 'A Scrap Book of Memories 1957 - 1997'

Key words

sunvale
primary school
school magazine
scrap book of memories
moons paddock
1957
1997
bartels
dash
sanford
kilborn
cuddy

Bright yellow covered 40 page book with green and white printing on the cover. A large emblem of the no longer existing SUNVALE PRIMARY SCHOOL is featured on the front cover, and a smaller version is on the back. The magazine is described as "A Scrap Book of Memories", and covers the years 1957 to 1997.

Historical information

The Sunvale Primary School was situated on Neil Street, near Hertford Road, Sunshine, on the former Moons paddock. The school was officially opened on the 9th of October 1957 with an enrolment of 214 students. Most of the students were transferred from the overcrowded Sunshine, and Sunshine East Primary Schools. The acting head teacher and five temporary teachers came from the East Sunshine Primary School from which about 170 students also came. During the later years the school operated as part of a three campus primary school complex formed between Sunvale Primary School, Sunshine East Primary School, and Braybrook Primary School. After the modern Sunshine Harvester Primary School was built on the East Sunshine Primary School site, the students from the Braybrook and Sunvale schools were transferred there. Sunvale Primary School was closed on 9th September 2009.

Significance

The magazine is a historical record of the initial 40 years of the school and of activities associated with the school. It contains the names of the Principals, from Mr. Bartels in 1957 to Mr. A. Dash in 1997, and also the names of Chairs of the School Council, from Mr. F. Sanford to Mr. T. Cuddy. It also features articles on the history of the school, the mothers club, the parents & friends members, special events & features, class & staff photographs, sport, and has a memories section. The special events & features section includes the school ball, camps, the Governor's visit in 1995, and Sunvale's famous Olympian staff member Pam Kilborn.

Inscriptions & Markings

SUNVALE Primary School S/PS HONOURS WITH HONOUR A Scrap Book of Memories 1957 - 1997

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

School Uniform - SUNSHINE WEST HIGH SCHOOL

Key words

sunshine west high school, girls school uniform, carland, blazer, frock, school jumper, swhs, courage and wisdom, junior campus, west campus, sunshine college, 1960, 1991

Four items of girls school uniform plus 3 metal badges: (1) Dark blue blazer with school insignia on the left breast pocket. (2) Blue and white striped frock. (3) Light grey v-necked jumper with dark blue, light blue, and pink stripes around the neck and the cuffs. (4) Dark blue tie with light blue and pink diagonal stripes. The 3 badges are School Captain, House Captain, and Form Captain.

Historical information

Sunshine West High School started in 1960 with classes held in the old church and the church hall of St Mark's Anglican Church, Sunshine, Victoria, 3020. The school transferred to Lachlan Road, West Sunshine when the new building was completed. In 1961 the proportion of students from European background was almost 52% and those of British-Australian almost 48%. By 1965 the number of students totalled 699, with 28 of them being the first to do the Form 6 (Year 12) Matriculation exam. By 1969 the number of students had increased to the point that some classes were held in shelter sheds. In 1992 the multi campus Sunshine College was formed through the amalgamation and restructure of six schools: Sunshine West High School, Sunshine Technical School, Ardeer High School, North Sunshine Technical School, Sunshine High School, and Tottenham Technical School. The last two school sites were closed and are now occupied by Victoria University and the Tottenham English Language Centre respectively. Sunshine West High School became the junior West Campus of Sunshine College. The style of school uniform displayed here is not used by the Sunshine College. The girls had two sets of uniforms, one for the summer and one for the winter. The frock and blazer (as displayed) were for the summer but a grey straw hat, grey socks, and black shoes were also part of the compulsory uniform. The displayed grey v-necked jumper could be worn in both summer and winter. The winter outfit consisted of a blue shirt, a tie (as displayed), a grey box pleated tunic, blazer, grey stockings, black shoes, a blue felt hat and grey gloves. Of particular interest is that the boys did not have to wear the feminine looking style of grey jumper with the pink and blue stripes. They wore a dark blue jumper. There was a 'uniform inspection' carried out after the Monday morning assembly and the Prefects had the task of policing students to make sure that they wore the full complement of items, both to and from school. The 3 badges indicate that the female student was a member of the School Council, which had replaced the Prefects around 1969 or 1970, and she was also Captain of one of the 4 Sports Houses and of her Form. Sources of information: (1) http://www.sunshine.vic.edu.au/history.htm (accessed 4/11/2015). (2) Book - 'Harvester City' by Olwen Ford (page 412). (3) Discussions with two former students.

Significance

Sunshine West High School played a significant part in the secondary education of local children, however the school had a relatively short life span in its own right during the latter part of the twentieth century. The items of girls school uniform, the school insignia, and the 3 metal badges serve as a historical reminder of the previous existence of the school, and of the colours and designs of these items.

Inscriptions & Markings

Insignia on blazer - SWHS / COURAGE AND WISDOM

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

School Uniform - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL

Key words

sunshine high school
uniform
frock
tunic
jumper
girls school uniform
maroon uniform

THREE ITEMS of girls uniform from the no longer existing SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL are individually displayed here. The items being: (1) Beige with maroon print cotton summer frock. (2) Maroon polyester/wool winter tunic. (3) Maroon V-necked wool/nylon jumper with light blue and gold coloured stripes around the cuffs and the neck.

Historical information

Sunshine High School existed in its own right from 1955 to 1991. During the early years the wearing of 'correct' uniforms was strictly enforced. Girls had to wear hats and boys had to wear caps as part of the uniform when outside the school grounds, or else they risked detention if caught without head wear by a Prefect. The boys therefore always had a rolled up cap in the back pocket to quickly slip on whenever there was danger of being nabbed by a Prefect. The girls had a winter uniform, which included thick beige stockings and a maroon blazer, and a summer frock in which they could be relatively cool during hot days. The boys had to wear their double breasted grey suits all year, with a jumper under the jacket in cold weather. The boys were supposedly being groomed as gentlemen, and so even during hot conditions were not allowed to remove their suit jackets in the class room. On about two very hot afternoons a year, the headmaster removed his jacket and so allowed the boys to do likewise. With single breasted suits becoming fashionable, it became difficult to find double breasted grey suits in the wide range of sizes required by students. In about late 1960 or early 1961 the uniform rules for boys were changed to enable them to wear single breasted grey suits. They still however were not allowed to remove their jackets in class on hot days. Over the years the rules for the wearing of uniforms were relaxed and in the late 1970's students were wearing either uniforms, or parts of uniforms, or their normal clothing. The wearing of uniforms at Sunshine High School eventually died out well before the School vacated the buildings on Ballarat Road, and amalgamated with other local secondary schools to form the Sunshine College.

Significance

The three items of clothing, although not a complete uniform set, serve as a reminder of the summer and winter uniforms, as well as the colours, that were worn by the girls at Sunshine High School during the early years. The jumper is identical in appearance to that worn by the boys and so it is not difficult to imagine how a male Sunshine High School student would look like with a grey suit and that type of jumper.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ecole brand winter tunic. Buxwear brand summer frock of Style S289. M.G.Magree brand jumper.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Seed & Fertilizer Drill Panel

Key words

agricultural machinery, sun, "sun" seed & fertilizer drill, h.v. mckay pty. ltd., d879, 1921, 1930, sunshine

Brown rusty cast iron end panel from a Seed & Fertilizer Drill

Historical information

The item is an end panel from the box section of a "SUN' Seed & Fertilizer Drill. It was manufactured by H.V. McKay Pty. Ltd. at their agricultural machinery manufacturing plant in Sunshine Victoria. The date of manufacture is estimated to be somewhere between 1921 and 1930 because of the imprint H.V. McKay Pty. Ltd. According to the Museum Metadata Exchange (http://museumex.org/oai/mv/2749) the Sunshine Harvester Works was reformed as H.V. McKay Pty. Ltd. in 1921 and in 1930 it became H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty. Ltd after a merger with the Canadian farm machinery manufacturer Massey Harris. The two events in 1921 and in 1930 are also confirmed by Churchward, M. (2006) at (http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/2010).

Significance

This early 20th century item is a relic of the agricultural machinery manufacturing past of Sunshine Victoria. The company started by H. V. McKay no longer exists and neither do the subsequent manufacturing companies H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty. Ltd., and the later Massey Ferguson (Aust.) Limited. Manufacturing has disappeared from this site being replaced by a shopping centre and other retail outlets, high rise apartments, law courts, police station, Vic Roads, and soon will house the new Brimbank Council offices and library.

Inscriptions & Markings

"SUN" / SEED & FERTILIZER DRILL / H.V. McKAY PTY. LTD / MAKERS / SUNSHINE / D879

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Souvenir Programme (1944) - DIAMOND JUBILEE celebration of the SUNSHINE HARVESTER

Key words

sunshine harvester
diamond jubilee
h. v. mckay
massey harris pty ltd
21 august 1944
1884
1944
melbourne town hall
sunshine harvester works

Beige coloured cardboard document which is folded in two, and has brown coloured printing on three of the four sides. The document provides a detailed list of the entertainment and the presentations held in the Melbourne Town Hall, to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of the Sunshine Harvester Works.

Historical information

As a youth while working on his father's farm, Hugh Victor McKay became tired of the labour involved in winnowing wheat by hand. In 1884 he built the first machine in the world which did the winnowing in conjunction with the reaping. On Monday 21st August 1944, which coincided with the birthday of the late H. V. McKay, more than 2000 employees and friends of H. V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd were entertained at the Melbourne Town Hall, in celebration of the Diamond Jubilee of the Sunshine Harvester Works.The event was planned to "turn it on for the boys' in a manner befitting the occasion." The compere was Eric Pearce (of later TV newsreader fame) and the entertainment was provided by leading performers of song (W.M.Laird and Mary Miller), of music (John Robertson, W.M.King, and the Sunshine Brass Band), and of humour (Charles Sherman). The accompanists for some of the performances were Betty Miller and Eric Fox. Two films depicting the activities of the Sunshine Works were shown, and the managing director Mr C. N. McKay, was presented with a book by Mr Fred Bult who had 50 years service with the company. The book contained more than 1000 signatures from invited employees who had completed more than 10 years of service, Supper was provided in the Lower Hall, and the MC for dancing to the Synco-Harvesters Dance Band in the Main Hall was James Patrick. The committee which organised the function were Messrs. L.W. King (Chairman), G. Baker, J. Downing, R. Stewart, F. J. Lee, V. Armstrong, F. Fields, J. Aird, G. Wilson, J. G. McKay, T. N. McArthur, and R. Webb, with secretaries Messrs. G. Shaw and D. J. McKay. The above information was compiled from the Souvenir Programme, and from The Argus of Tuesday 22 August 1944 which can be viewed at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11357700, and from the Sunshine Advocate of Friday 30 June 1944.

Significance

The Souvenir Programme provides a historical record of how the Diamond Jubilee was celebrated, as well as the type of entertainment and the names of the entertainers and other people involved. It also lists the types of dances such as the 'Fox Trot' and the 'Pride of Erin' that were normal entertainment in 1944. The Souvenir Programme is also significant in what it does not tell us. There is absolutely no indication of what would be considered to be a supper for an event like this in 1944, especially in the Melbourne Town Hall. From a historical point of view it would be interesting to know.

Inscriptions & Markings

1884 1944 / SOUVENIR PROGRAMME / DIAMOND JUBILEE of the SUNSHINE HARVESTER / MELBOURNE TOWN HALL / Monday 21st Aug.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

SPECIAL AWARD to No 1 FORGE O.F.M. - 4th LIBERTY LOAN (1943)

Key words

4th liberty loan
special award
ordnance factory maribyrnong
no 1 forge o.f.m.
oct - nov 1943
red pennant

Permanently sealed brown stained wood frame with a glass face. Enclosed behind the glossy glass is a triangular shaped pennant made of red felt material. The red colour appears to be somewhat faded. The inscriptions and markings on the pennant are in blue, gold, and white coloured inks.

Historical information

O.F.M. was the ORDNANCE FACTORY MARIBYRNONG. Up to the end of June 1943 and at a time when the wages were about £5 ($10) to £6 ($12) per week Australia had spent £1,106,000,000 (£156 per head) on the war effort. A lot of the money was spent at home in making war necessities such as armaments, munitions, boots, clothing, and in providing special training. Significant increases in numbers occurred in the personnel employed in the fighting services, and also in the work force involved in the war effort. During the financial year 1942-1943 the war cost Australia £561,743,000 (over a billion dollars), while the Income Tax raised from individuals totalled only 16.5% of this amount. To finance the war the Australian government had previously borrowed money from the public, and from institutions such as the savings banks, friendly societies, and life assurance societies, by running three successfully subscribed Liberty Loans. The institutions had contributed considerably more money to these Liberty Loans than the public, however it can be argued that the public members of these institutions had also contributed some money indirectly. The 4th Liberty Loan which opened on 5 October 1943 and closed on 9 November 1943 was intended to raise £125,000,000, with the government aiming for 750,000 subscribers. Bonds costing £10 each could be bought on a time payment scheme. A total of £126,408,000 was raised at two different interest rates and maturity dates, however the number of subscribers had only reached 567,533. Some newspaper reports of the time indicate that the low number of subscribers was a partial failure of the loan, because spare money in the community could lead to inflation at a time when goods were in short supply. The government set target quotas on how much money should ideally be raised in a particular district, and how many subscribers should ideally take part. Often these quotas proved to be excessive. The Special Red Pennant Award as given to the No 1 FORGE O.F.M. was normally for achieving the highest per capita contribution within each particular group. What is unknown at this stage is what other entities were in the same group, or how large the group was. There were other variations of the awards such as those given to country districts, where a star was placed on the left hand corner of the pennant if the money quota was reached, while two or three stars indicated that the quota was doubled or tripled. A bar was also included on the pennant if the quota of subscribers was achieved, while two bars indicated double the quota of subscribers. The above information was sourced from Trove newspaper articles at: (1) http://nla.gov.au.nla.news-article70439716, (2) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article141292541, (3) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11797265, (4) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11788072, and from (5) http://static.awm.gov.au/images/collection/pdf/RCDIG1070158--1-.PDF (see page 580).

Significance

This framed award has significance in that it serves as a historic reminder that the No 1 Forge O.F.M. and the Ordnance Factory Maribyrnong once existed within the Shire of Braybrook, and later the City of Sunshine, and that it was involved in the manufacture of ordnance for World War 2. It also serves as a historic reminder that it costs a huge amount of money for a country to be involved in a major war, and that a big contribution is required from the public to raise money and to produce goods for the war effort.

Inscriptions & Markings

The AUSTRALIAN COAT OF ARMS diagram plus the following writing: SPECIAL AWARD / 4th LIBERTY LOAN / Oct.-Nov. 1943 / No 1 FORGE O.F.M.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Sports Uniform (Netball) - TOTTENHAM NORTH PRIMARY SCHOOL

Key words

sports uniform
netball skirt
netball t-shirt
tottenham north primary school
south road braybrook
tottenham primary school
maidstone primary school
tottenham crossing school
dinjerra primary school
tottenham north state school
state school 4703

Two items of Netball Uniform. (a) Skirt - Maroon coloured wrap around sports skirt. (b) T-shirt - Yellow, Size 14 'Ryder' brand children's T-shirt, with maroon coloured triangular shaped School Logo printed on the front.

Historical information

This Netball uniform from circa 1986 was worn by a girl named Rebecca when she attended the Tottenham North Primary School. Tottenham North Primary School was opened on 29 May 1953 and was built on a South Road, Braybrook site purchased in 1929. After a fire in February 1961 the pupils were sent to the Powell and Curtin Street schools in Yarraville, and to the Maidstone and Sunshine East schools. The new building was officially opened on 22 August 1962 by A. McDonell, Director of Education, and it had sixteen classrooms, an art/craft room, and an assembly hall. Sporting achievements by the pupils included the 1963 football premiership and the 1968 cricket premiership. Over the years it has been called Tottenham Primary, Tottenham Crossing Primary, and Maidstone Primary. The different names resulted because of mergers with other local primary schools as the number of primary aged children in the Braybrook and Tottenham area changed. The school on South Road is now named Dinjerra Primary School. Dinjerra supposedly means 'out west' in the dialect of the original indigenous people of the area. Dinjerra Primary School is now the only neighbourhood government primary school in Braybrook Tottenham. The above information was sourced and compiled from: 1. 'Vision and Realisation - A Centenary History of State Education in Victoria - Volume 3', Education Department of Victoria 1973. 2. The Dinjerra Principal's website article at: http://www.dinjerra.vic.edu.au/91/Message-from-the-Principal.

Significance

The netball uniform serves as a historic reminder that a school named Tottenham North Primary School once existed. The uniform also provides us with information of the colours used on these types of sports uniforms, and of the design of the School Logo.

Inscriptions & Markings

TNPS. TOTTENHAM NORTH P.S. 4703 - (Printed inside triangle)

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Trench Art - BULLET SPOON

Key words

trench art, bullet spoon, .303 bullet, stewart noble, war souvenier, chrome teaspoon

Chrome plated teaspoon with a discharged .303 bullet for the handle.

Historical information

This piece of functional Trench Art was made by Stewart Noble during World War 2 (circa 1940) while serving on a Mine Sweeper among the Pacific Islands. It is believed that the bullet spoon was chrome plated after the war, while he worked at the Government Aircraft Factory. Trench art is described as any decorative item made by soldiers, prisoners of war, or civilians where the manufacture is directly linked to a war. The making of trench art was a popular past time during leisure hours at the front, where skilled military personnel created the items. Common examples of trench art are decorated shell and bullet casings, and items carved from wood and bone. Trench art has been in existence since the Napoleonic wars however it was most common during World War 1, and to a lesser extent during World War 2.

Significance

This bullet spoon has historic significance because it is an example of the type of functional or artistic small items, that were made from war scrap during spare time by soldiers or other personnel associated with a war. This particular item indicates that a reasonably high degree of skill was required to make the bullet spoon.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Voters Roll (1979) - WESTERN WARD of the CITY OF SUNSHINE

Key words

voter's roll
city of sunshine
1979
western ward
rateable property
electoral roll
voters

Printed foolscap size pages bound with 2 metal fasteners at the top. Yellow coloured paper is used for the top and bottom covers. Contains names and addresses of eligible voters in the WESTERN WARD of the former CITY OF SUNSHINE.

Significance

The Voters Roll provides a 1979 historical snapshot of the names and addresses of property owners in the Western Ward of the former City of Sunshine.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Particulars on the Roll are in the following order:- Property Assessment Number; Roll Number; Surname; Christian Names; Voter's Address; Owner Type; Situation or other description of rateable property./NOTE: Except as otherwise stated the rateable property is also the Voter's address."

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

WUNDERLICH TILE

Key words

wunderlich limited, terra cotta, architectural, commonwealth centre, spring street, sunshine, mcintyre, victoria street, faience, faence, imitation granite, nicholas building, century building

Off-white/beige architectural terra cotta tile with green coloured vitreous glaze on the face of tile. The rear of tile is ribbed.

Historical information

In the Sunshine Advocate of 21/03/1925 it is reported that Wunderlich Ltd decided to establish works in Sunshine for the manufacture of terra cotta and faience for the facing of city buildings. The product was intended to imitate granite, which would give a brighter appearance to concrete walls. A stone surface finish to the terra cotta could be achieved by applying a variety of colour combinations of glazes with a special 'spackle' gun. A building that is still standing and has the imitation granite finish terra cotta is the Nicholas Building at 21 - 47 Swanston Street, Melbourne. The Nicholas Building was designed by Harry Norris for Alfred Nicholas (Aspro fame), and was built during 1925 - 1926. The building is classified by the National Trust (B4079) and has the Victorian Heritage Register (H2119). During my employment in the factory from 1964 to 1969 the tiles were generally faced with single colour glazes. For some small jobs a light coloured mottled finish was achieved by spattering a white glaze over a cream coloured background or vice versa. There were no imitation granite jobs done, probably because of changing attitudes to the intended appearance of buildings. The green coloured tile in our collection is an unfinished (untrimmed) retain tile typical of the green coloured tiles that were made for the two stages of the Commonwealth Centre Building (colloquially known as the Green Latrine), that was once located on the corner of Spring and Victoria Streets in Melbourne. Similar coloured tiles were also used on some shop fronts. The Commonwealth Centre Building no longer exists, however the Century Building at 125 - 133 Swanston Street, Melbourne is covered with single coloured tiles (white). The Century Building was built in 1939, with the architect being Marcus Barlow. The Building is classified by the National Trust (B4045). Our tile along with several others were headed for dumping among the asbestos waste at the rear of the two Wunderlich factories (Circa 1968). With permission from the Factory Superintendent of the Terra Cotta factory they were saved and taken home. Several are still in use as pavers around a barbecue in Melton from where our tile was obtained. It should be noted that the Wunderlich Architectural Terra Cotta factory in Sunshine did not manufacture terra cotta roofing tiles, as reported in the Brimbank City Council Post-contact Heritage Study HO 073 former Wunderlich now West End Market. Wunderlich terra cotta roofing tiles were manufactured at their factory in Mitcham Road, Vermont. Document HO 073 contains at least 3 errors. Other References: (1). http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article74726224. (2). Armstrong, J. 'Investigating the historic and current use, manufacture and conservation of architectural terra cotta and faience USA & UK'.

Significance

This tile is an example of the type of facing that was applied to city buildings for over 40 years from the mid 1920's. As building techniques changed the need for this type of facing diminished, and so the factory was eventually sold and demolished. A free standing tall chimney stack which serviced two of the kilns was a significant feature of the North Sunshine skyline. A part of the history of Sunshine disappeared with the demolition of the factory and the chimney stack. Only the façade of the finishing section of the factory where tiles were trimmed and stored remains.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,