Artefact may have been used for enema or vaginal irrigation.
Mary Howlett (1840-1922) began practising as a country midwife in 1866 in the western district of Victoria. She qualified as a 'ladies monthly nurse' in 1887 and continued to practise as a nurse and midwife until 1920.She began her six months training at the Melbourne Lying-In Hospital. She was known by many as 'Auntie', and her career spanned more than 50 years. Mrs Howlett's midwifery box and contents were given to Dr Frank Forster, and he donated them to the museum collection in 1993.
Black bakelite irrigator, resembling a test tube in shape. The irrigator has four entries, a connecting bridge and serrated edged flange. Stopcock attachment and tubing are missing.