This type of cup was designed for use by an adult and was in common usage from the early 1900s to the 1930s. Feeding cups were used both in the home and in hospitals, and were also often made of white enamel.
Mary Howlett (1840-1922) began practising as a country midwife in 1866 in the western district of Victoria. She qualified as a 'ladies monthly nurse' in 1887 and continued to practise as a nurse and midwife until 1920. She began her six months training at the Melbourne Lying-In Hospital. She was known by many as 'Auntie', and her career spanned more than 50 years. Mrs Howlett's midwifery box and contents were given to Dr Frank Forster, and he donated them the museum collection in 1993.
Feeding cup made out of white china, now discoloured. The cup has a curved spout (similar to a teapot spout) with a handle. There are four small holes inserted inside the cup diagonally at the proximate end of the spout.