Mary Howlett (1840-1922) began practising as a country midwife in 1866 in the western district of Victoria. She qualified as a 'ladies monthly nurse' in 1887 and continued to practise as a nurse and midwife until 1920.She began her six months training at the Melbourne Lying-In Hospital. She was known by many as 'Auntie', and her career spanned more than 50 years. Mrs Howlett's midwifery box and contents were given to Dr Frank Forster, and he donated them to the museum collection in 1993.
Inscriptions & markings
Made of a heavy white metal. Metal cap covers the actual spray applicator. There are two curved metal tubes leading to the outlet spray. In addition to the metal object there is a small metal connection with a small metal insertion. The metal connection is attached to a piece of old red rubber tubing.