Historical information

Jarrold Cottage or White Cloud is known by many to be associated with the Skipper family, and has been since 1944 when Lena Skipper, wife of Mervyn Skipper purchased the cottage. She purchased it from the Estate of Thekla Jarrold who had died in March of the previous year. By the time Thekla died, she had lived in the Jarrold Cottage for 50 years.

Thekla Alvenia Sissilia Ellian married John William Jarrold in 1888 at Clifton Hill. They started their family there but when John’s father William (who was married to Hannah Coleman) died in 1893 the family moved to Eltham. William had married Hannah Coleman in 1856 at his home in Eltham. William had arrived in the colony in 1848 so it is believed the Jarrold Cottage goes back at least to 1856 and possibly early 1850s. For a short period of time the cottage was rented to the Police as a temporary Police Station whilst a new and more permanent station was built further up the hill in 1859.

The cottage was originally located closer to the Diamond Creek but was subject to flooding so was relocated to its present position on top a mound of rubble placed there from the nearby quarry next to the Dalton Street school (on Main Road).

By 1916, John Henry Clark, a photographer who took many early photos of Eltham relocated from Fitzroy to Eltham and boarded with recently widowed Thekla Jarrold and her family. He changed professions from photographer to boot and harness maker around 1931 and Thekla had a small bootmakers shop built ifor him in the corner of her property next to the family home. J.H. Clark remained living at the property until his death in December 1956. At some stage after Clark's death, Lena Skipper is recorded living at the property having relocated from Montsalvat following the death of her husband Mervyn. The property continues to remain within the Skipper family as of 2023.

Covered under Heritage Overlay, Nillumbik Planning Scheme.

Published: Nillumbik Now and Then /​ Marguerite Marshall 2008; photographs Alan King with Marguerite Marshall.; p47


This collection of almost 130 photos about places and people within the Shire of Nillumbik, an urban and rural municipality in Melbourne's north, contributes to an understanding of the history of the Shire. Published in 2008 immediately prior to the Black Saturday bushfires of February 7, 2009, it documents sites that were impacted, and in some cases destroyed by the fires. It includes photographs taken especially for the publication, creating a unique time capsule representing the Shire in the early 21st century. It remains the most recent comprehenesive publication devoted to the Shire's history connecting local residents to the past.

Physical description

Born digital image file