In 1858 the Caledonia Common School No.128 opened at Queenstown, about 1.6km upstream on Diamond Creek from the present site of the old St Andrews school. The school was renamed Queenstown Common School No. 128 in 1867.
In 1882, due to declining numbers of pupils at Smiths Gully and increasing numbers in Queenstown the school was moved from a leased building, owned by Head Teacher Robert Harris, into a new larger building on the corner of School and Heidelberg-Kinglake roads which incorporated the original single room school building, which had been moved from Smiths Gully, and included a teacher’s three-roomed residence.
In 1887 the school was replaced by the Queenstown State School No. 128. The school and town were renamed St Andrews in 1952.
In 1983 a new school was built, 500 metres south of the old school and the old school became the St Andrews Community Centre.
Of significance is the c1887 school building (including part of the c1876 Smith's Gully school moved to the site and incorporated into the c1887 school building), the c1911 new room, the c1929 cloakroom, the c1930 renovations, the c1956 new infant room; the c1961 office and storeroom, as well as the c1950 Himalayan Cedar tree and the entire site to the title boundaries.
The school building is historically significant for its links with the early settlement of the area and because its use of materials from the former Smith's Gully State school illustrates the common 19th and early 20th century practice of relocating State school buildings based on need. The school building is historically and socially significant because it served the local community, as a school, from 1887 to the late 1970s/early 1980s and because since then it has been used for other community purposes.
Covered under Heritage Overlay, Nillumbik Planning Scheme.
Published: Nillumbik Now and Then / Marguerite Marshall 2008; photographs Alan King with Marguerite Marshall.; p69
This collection of almost 130 photos about places and people within the Shire of Nillumbik, an urban and rural municipality in Melbourne's north, contributes to an understanding of the history of the Shire. Published in 2008 immediately prior to the Black Saturday bushfires of February 7, 2009, it documents sites that were impacted, and in some cases destroyed by the fires. It includes photographs taken especially for the publication, creating a unique time capsule representing the Shire in the early 21st century. It remains the most recent comprehenesive publication devoted to the Shire's history connecting local residents to the past.
Born digital image file