Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Eltham District Historical Society Inc Eltham, Victoria

Eltham District Historical Society

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 137 Eltham Victoria 3095 (map)
phone
+61 0409 021 063

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment only; contact edhsoffice@gmail.com

Location

728 Main Rd Eltham Victoria

View on Google Maps

The Eltham District Historical Society currently holds material relating to the former Shire of Eltham, the boundaries of which now overlap with other local Historical Societies. The Society will collect research material (and in some cases items of historical significance) relating to the Eltham District (Eltham, Eltham North, Research, Kangaroo Ground, Montmorency, Briar Hill and Lower Plenty) but may also include material pertinent to the history of Victoria where relevant to the understanding of our local history including pre-European settlement. Themes included cover:

Local people
Domestic life
Working life
Education
Recreation, economic and social conditions
Art and culture
Births, deaths and marriages
Cemeteries
Townships, urban and rural development
Built environment
Natural environment
Local government
Local industry, services and transport
Monuments
Community groups and organisations

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

8319 items with images

Photograph - School pick-up traffic from Eltham East Primary School, Grove Street, c.April 1987

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 3 strips

Historical information

Probably a Shire of Eltham investigation into traffic and parking at school pick-up times

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak GA 100 5095

Photograph - Wattletree Road railway crossing, Eltham

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Photograph - From left: Unknown, Mario Fabbro and possibly Helen Skipper, Bell Street, Eltham

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

1 black and white photograph

Historical information

At Bell Street, Fabbro Farm, Eltham; From left: Unknown, Mario Fabbro and possibly Helen Skipper, standing in the middle of a vegetable crop. The site of the Fabbro farm (Diamond Creek side land) is now called Barrack Bushlands. It is doubtful that Fabbro's farm holding was ever called Barrak Park, This title is fairly recent after the Shire of Eltham purchased the land, including the last section in 1993/94. About this time the area on the west side of Falkiner Street was purchased by a private developer and developed as housing. The area in Bell Street opposite the Eltham High School was purchased by the State Government is recent years and is called Fabbro Fields. The Fabbro Family operated their farm in Bell Street, Eltham.

Photograph - Alistair Knox

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Negative and black and white photograph reproduced on p107 of 'Pioneers & Painters'

Photograph - Vacant land at 816 Heidelberg-Kinglake Road, Hurstbridge, c.1980

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 4 strips

Historical information

Now fully developed as multiple units

Significance

Streetscape evolution; prior to development of reserve for housing units and redevelopment of shops opposite Hurstbridge Railway Station

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak GB 200 5096

Photograph - Eltham Local History Centre Open Day, 4 March 2017

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Historical information

Newly refurbished Eltham Local History Centre Open Day, 4 March 2017 Celebrating 50 years of the Society 1967-2017

Photograph - Eltham Local History Centre Open Day, 4 March 2017

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Historical information

The Hon. Vicki Ward, Member for Eltham addresses the crowd Newly refurbished Eltham Local History Centre Open Day, 4 March 2017 Celebrating 50 years of the Society 1967-2017

Photograph - Montmorency Tennis Club, Dobson Road, Montmorency, 1985

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 3 strips

Historical information

Negatives supplied by Marjorie North 1 July 1986 for Montmorency France album

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak CL 200 5093

Photograph - Russell Yeoman (left) and Peter Bassett-Smith prior to unlocking the door to the Local History Centre, 12 July 1998

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

Opening Ceremony of Local History Centre, 728 Main Road, Eltham, Sunday, July 12th, 1998

Photograph - Brisbane Street, Eltham (unmade) from west end, 1969

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

black and white photograph with white border

Historical information

Brisbane Street, Eltham (unmade) from west end, showing light industrial area 1969

Inscriptions & Markings

verso: Brisbane Street before road made 1967 looking east

Photograph - Eltham Community Festival Parade, 12 November 1988

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

[from a contemporary report:] In 1988 the assembly point for the Parade changed from previous years from Cecil Street to Youth Road behind the Eltham Station for the start of the parade at 12.00. The Shire of Eltham Historical Society's float in the Eltham Community Festival Parade won the award for the best display for the second year running. We received a trophy donated by the Billabong Family Bistro, Lower Plenty. The theme of the float was the Eltham Bush Nursing Hospital. The float was prepared by Bruce Ness with some help from other members. A number of members contributed with costumes and other props. Hospital equipment was kindly loaned by the Judge Book Village and in what has become something of a tradition, members of the Victorian Folk Music Club accompanied the Society for the Parade. Their music was again a welcome addition to the float.

Photograph - Montsalvat, Eltham, 1970s

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital file only; created from original colour positive slide transparency

Photograph - Coffer dam in the Yarra at Anderson's Creek, 1864.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Black and white photograph of Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection, no. 918 (duplicate of hard copy held at Eltham Library)

Historical information

1864 - photograph of the Coffer Dam in the River Yarra approximately opposite Whipstick Gully. Remains of bridge built in 1860(?) wrecked by 1863 flood in background. Photo: C.W. Walters Cross Reference Photo No.(s): Used on page 29 of "Pioneers and Painters" Source: Ringwood Historical Research Group, through request of Mrs. B. Hipwell, Research GOLD Gold was first discovered in this area at Andersons Creek (Warrandyte) in June 1851 by Louis Michel. Discoveries north of the Yarra did not occure until about 1854. Although it took some months for a true rush to develop it was not long before alluvial workings were being carried on in most of the Shire of Eltham. The last area in which gold was discovered was Kinglake. As the gold became harder to find, deep mining took over from alluvial diggings in the gullies. Perhaps the most extensive of the deep workings workings was the Diamond Creek Mine just outside the boundary of the Shire. This form of mining was continued into the 1930s. There are believed to be some mines in the area still capable of producing gold but present prices make working these uneconomical. Some gold is still found by weekend prospectors.

Photograph Album - Stamp Photo Album; portrait miniatures of unidentified persons and family members, c.1910

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Small hard cover cloth bound photo album with silver lettering on front cover "Stamp Photo Album" containing approx 8 double page spreads, 5 of which are used housing 35 miniature portrait photographs

Historical information

Unknown identities

Significance

Possible early pioneer settlers of Eltham

Photograph - Shire of Eltham Historical Society "Pioneers of Eltham" entry in the Eltham Community Festival Parade, 17 October 1981

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

[from contemporary reports:] 1981: 16-18 October. “Pioneers of Eltham” and horse drawn vehicle. This year's festival will be held from 16th to 18th October, with the festival parade being held on Saturday 17th. In recent years the Society has participated in the parade and also organised a display for the festival. We have won prizes for our parade entry for the last two years. The committee has given preliminary consideration to our participation and it has been agreed that we should again enter the procession. This matter will be discussed at the September meeting. / The Society's float in the festival parade again won a prize. This year we won the prize for the best effort by a local group, donated by Bob Clarke's Menswear. As in previous years Peter Quirke has allowed us to use his truck as a float. Peter has formerly operated his fruiterer's business at Research and Diamond Creek and has recently opened a shop in the Eltham Village Arcade. Joh Ebeli, with a little more assistance from other members than in previous years, again did an excellent job in decorating the float. Members of the Victorian Folk Music Club again accompanied us on the float and their music helped create the appropriate mood. A new feature of our parade entry was the inclusion of horse drawn vehicles owned and driven by the Hennel family of Hurstbridge. They certainly added to a highly successful day. In the last issue of this Newsletter we mentioned the award won by the Society for its entry in the Eltham Community Festival Procession. We neglected to mention the award won by member and long-time Eltham resident, Jock Read for the “Best Eltham Theme.” Jock and his horse have been a feature of Eltham parades for years and in particular have established a local tradition in leading Anzac Day parades.

Photograph - Kangaroo Ground Emergency Operations Centre, 35 Kangaroo Ground-St Andrews Road, Kangaroo Ground

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 5 of 7 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak GA 100 5095

Photograph - Visit by H.M. Queen Elizabeth II, Eltham, 24 Feb 1954

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Three black and white photographs: 1. Councillors and others outside Eltham Shire Office and Hall (demolished 3 Nov 1970), Main Road Eltham, waiting for visit of Queen Elizabeth II, 1954. L to R: Mrs Frank Davis; Alf Davis; Mrs Alf Davis (head turned away); Mrs F.E. Griffith; Mrs E.P. Harmer; Mrs Ham; Mrs S.S. Addison; Mr C.G. Seear; Cr F.V. Squire; Cr E.P. Harmer; Cr S.S. Addison (Shire President, in uniform, former Bursar of the University of Melbourne and resident of Kangaroo Ground); R.J. (Dick) Ham, Shire Secretary; Cr Frederick E. Griffith (looking at camera, Australian flag at his left, died May 1979 in Queensland, formerly of 'Banoon', Eltham, former Shire President, buried in Eltham Cemetery 2. Army Band assembled in Arthur Street. People and their positions identified L-R: Mrs Arthur Bird (Dave Lyon's sister); Bert Bredle , RSL President; Cr Griffiths; Cr Harmer; Cr Squire; Mrs Squire; Mrs Addison; Cr Stanley S. Addison 3. Official welcoming party. People and their positions identified Mr Frank Davis MHR (on far right). Dave Lyon's house now (1982) ANZ Bank site

Photograph - 85 Franklin Street, Eltham, c.1999

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 6 strips

Significance

The Margaret Ball (Pre 1960s Houses) Collection was a personal project initiated to mark the year 2000 and arose as a result of the disappearance of many pre-1960s parts of Eltham due to development. Approximately 200 pre-1960s style houses that were left in Eltham between Main Road and east to Bible Street, between Cecil Street to the north and south to Dalton Street were photographed in late 1999. Not all of the houses could be photographed; some because the garden or trees blocked the view of the house, others because of rubbish or cars were in the way, some because people were working on the house or in the gardens at the time.

Inscriptions & Markings

Agfa HDC 200 plus-2

Photograph - Reynolds Road, Research and the power transmission line easement running between Diosma Road and Main Road, Eltham

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak CL 200 5093

Photograph - Eltham Railway

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Black and white photograph of railway line near Eltham trestle bridge c.1960.

Photograph - 55 Cleveland Avenue, Lower Plenty, c.1980s

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 3 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodacolor II

Photograph - Eltham Railway Station, c.1923

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph (digital) of page from Photo Album

Photograph - Main Road Bridge over Diamond Creek

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Historical information

Heritage Excursion - An Eltham South Ramble, 2 Sep 2017

Photograph - Scarlet Ash Court, Eltham, 15 October 1990

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 3 strips Also photo print

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak GA100 5095

Photograph - Main Road-Fitzsimons Lane Roundabout, c. Oct 1987

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

Fitzsimons Lane was originally known as the Eltham-Templestowe Road north of the Yarra and Fitzsimons Lane south of the Yarra River. Date based on other similar display panels visible in images of the Shire of Eltham display at the Eltham Community Festival, 7 November 1987

Photograph - Streetscape, inner Melbourne suburb, 5 November 1999

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 4 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 200-6

Photograph - 32 John Street, Eltham, Nov-Dec 1999

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Significance

The Margaret Ball (Pre 1960s Houses) Collection was a personal project initiated to mark the year 2000 and arose as a result of the disappearance of many pre-1960s parts of Eltham due to development. Approximately 200 pre-1960s style houses that were left in Eltham between Main Road and east to Bible Street, between Cecil Street to the north and south to Dalton Street were photographed in late 1999. Not all of the houses could be photographed; some because the garden or trees blocked the view of the house, others because of rubbish or cars were in the way, some because people were working on the house or in the gardens at the time.

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak GC 400-6

Photograph - BP Service Station, cnr Main Road and Beard Street, Eltham, 3 May 2017

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Photograph - ‘A Currawong Takes Flight’ – Corten steel and bronze sculpture by Michael Wilson (2015), Eltham Cemetery, 30 Aug 2015

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Historical information

Commissioned by Harold Mitchell AC for Eltham Cemetery Trust

Photograph - Nicholson Close from Thompson Crescent, Research, c.October 1990

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 6 of 7 strips

Historical information

Prints were originally housed in a photo print envelope with note indicating they were taken 15 October 1990.

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 100-2 5095