Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Ringwood and District Historical Society Ringwood, VIC

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, preserve and promote material relating to the history of Ringwood, Victoria situated in Melbourne’s outer eastern suburbs.

The Society maintains extensive Archives encompassing newspaper, journals, books, personal histories, maps, plans, photographs and other material and artefacts.

The archives are located in Norwood Reserve, 125 Warrandyte Road, Ringwood, as well as another site in Tortice Drive, and are open to the public by appointment.

Contact Information

location
11 Ripley Court Ringwood VIC 3134 (map)
phone
+61 0418-103-256

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Location

125 Warrandyte Road Ringwood VIC

View on Google Maps

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, preserve and promote material relating to the history of Ringwood, Victoria situated in Melbourne’s outer eastern suburbs.

The Society maintains extensive archives encompassing newspaper, journals, books, personal histories, maps, plans, photographs and other material and artefacts.

The Archives are located in Warrandyte Road, Ringwood and are open to the public by appointment.

Williams Janice 22 February 2019 2:56 PM

The photograph (portrait) of Harold Chivers is in fact a photograph of his older brother Lionel he was disowned by his family in the late fifties due 8 to family reasons

Katina Devril 20 March 2019 10:47 AM

Hello I have an enquiry about the image you have for Lionel Charles Chivers. He is also my father, known by a very different name. We have just discovered this and are putting together pieces of the puzzle about him. He did go on to have another name after us, but we don't know what that is. My question is, could we add to the comments on the photo to add another identity to the face? Our photos are much later, are linked to a different family and are mostly based in Sydney. I would like to add to his identity, but don't really know how to or even if it is appropriate to. We have not yet met his other children and I do not want to offend or upset them, so this is just a general enquiry at this stage. Katina

Leave a comment

5188 items

Photograph - Plan of Lots in Bel-Air Estate 1991

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

4 photographs of sections of the plans.

Inscriptions & Markings

a. Written on back of photograph, "20/6/81. Plan of Bel Air Estate. Werac Drive runs down left side of plan. Kubis Drive crosses top. Debbie Place drops down from Kubis. Manuela Tce. runs right from Werac, ends at a bend and becomes Rudolf Court running North. Lyn Court takes off right from Rudolf and Burlock Ave. touches estate with an elbow" b. Written on back of photograph, "20/6/81. Plan of lots in Bel Air Estate. Glenvale Road down left side of plan, Kubis Dr. Runs across picture. June Square drops from and Jenken Close rises form Kubis Dr. Werac Dr. drops to bottom of picture and Manuella takes off to right". d. Written on back of photograph, "20/6/91. Lots in Bel-Air Estate. Kubis Dr. rises from bottom left to Oban Road top. Pamela Crt. drops from Kubis at left, Iluka Crt. takes off right. Whitlam Dr. runs left at top and Menzies Cr. drops off it to centre of picture". c. Written on back of photograph, "20/6/81. Plan of lots on Bel-Air Estate. Kubis Dr., Debbie Place, Pamela Crt, Iluka Crt. Menzies Drive"

Map - Map of East Ringwood with numbered sites of interest published by the Ringwood Croydon Mail for Ringwood Secondary College Fire Appeal Fund. 1993

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

White sheet of paper with brown printing, A3, with marked locations for visiting.

Historical information

Map of East Ringwood with numbered sites of interest published by the Ringwood Croydon Mail as the major sponsor for Ringwood Secondary College Fire Appeal Fund. The school was extensively burnt in a fire in 1992 which destroyed classrooms, records, musical and sports displays.

Photograph - Miner's residence at 367 Maroondah Highway, Ringwood. Built 1872, demolished 1975.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue card reads, "367 Maroondah Highway, Ringwood. Built 1872, demolished 1975".

Documents - Ringwood & District Cricket Association - Registation lists of players of clubs in the Association for seasons 1927/28, 1928/29, 1929/30, 1930/31

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Hand written pages of player registrations and transfers. (62 pages)

Inscriptions & Markings

"Covering typed letter adressed to The Librarian - Ringwood Archival Centre"

Letter - Letter from M. Greaves of the Royal Historical Society of Victoria to Mr J.K. McCaskill outlining a small number of aspects of early settlement of Ringwood.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Letter from M. Greaves of the Royal Historical Society of Victoria to Mr J.K. McCaskill outlining a small number of aspects of early settlement of Ringwood. +Additional Keywords: Lindsay, James / Pett, Joseph / Quigley, James / Wiggin, George Thomas / Cobb & Co / Railway / Lilydale / Kaolin discovery in Victoria / Antimony / Wood's Point Run / White Horse Hotel at Box Hill

Photograph - Parcels office, East Ringwood Railway Station - 1975.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on backing sheet, "Parcels office, East Ringwood Railway Station - 1975".

Photograph - View of Ringwood circa 1960's

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Postcard size coloured photograph

Inscriptions & Markings

"Written on back of photograph" View of Ringwood looking South from railway line New Street bridge. circa 1960's

Magazine - "Weemala 1958-1983" History of Norwood High School, Ringwood

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

35 pages of typed notes and pictures in a binder with yellow covers and blue plastic binding recording the history of Norwood High School from its move from Boronia High School (where it started in 1958) to the present site in 1959, on an orchard owned by the Airds and the development of the school till 1983

Historical information

Part of the collection of artefacts, photographs and papers of Norwood Secondary College (previously Norwood High School)

Inscriptions & Markings

"Weemala 1958-1983" with the Norwood High School logo on front

Envelope - Packet: Ringwood Borough Councillors and Officers 1924-1968

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Collection pertaining to Borough Council Officers and Councillors 1924 - 1968; Various correspondence - same time

Notes - Drawings etc re Borough Seal (1925) Ringwood.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

11 typed pages of notes on seals - 9 with drawings of crests and explanatory symbols pertaining to seals and coat of arms for Ringwood.

Historical information

The Borough seal adopted in 1925 was similar to that of Ringwood in England with the exception that the kookaburra replaced the blackbird. Includes explanation of the City Coat of Arms (crest).

Photograph - City of Ringwood celebrations, 1960

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue card reads, 'City celebrations, 1960. School children taking part'.

Collected Papers - Collection of varied handwritten and typed notes on the development of Ringwood. 1924-1981

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Collection of varied handwritten and typed notes on the development of Ringwood.

Photograph - Front of "Mail" office and hospital Adelaide St, Ringwood 1963 (Eastland Litigation Photo)

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Historical information

This series of SS0380 photos are part of the "Eastland Litigation" launched in 1962 by the Whitehorse Traders Co-operative Association (WTCA), against the Ringwood Council's Interim Development Order of 1960. WTCA sought "orders from the Supreme Court of Victoria that the planning scheme was invalid" - See "The Eastland Litigation" chapter in "From Horse Shoes to High Heels - Ringwood Shopping Centre and Eastland 1858-2008" by Richard Carter, Bounce Books 2009.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photographs, 'Adelaide St. front of "Mail" office and hospital'. Also stamped on photographs, 'In the Supreme Court 13 Aug. 1963' and 'Edwin G. Adamson'.

Photograph - Mrs. Chivers (Armstrong Rd.) (undated)

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on backing sheet, "Mrs. Chivers (Armstrong Rd.)"

Photograph - Harvesting at Quamby, North Ringwood on farm of A.T. Miles 1915.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Black and white photograph of men working in paddock. There are two smaller sepia original photographs slipped into protective sheet. On the back of each of these photographs the following is stated, "Harvesting at 'Quamby', Quamby Rd. North Ringwood 1910. L to R Miles, Herman Johansen & Henry James".

Inscriptions & Markings

Backing sheet states, "Harvesting at Quamby, North Ringwood on farm of A. T. Miles (on left) 1915.

Photograph - Ringwood Primary School 1963 Grade 5A Class Photo

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

1963 Grade 5A: Poor Quality Photo Reprint and handwritten names on scrapbook page. Also separate sheet with better quality print (scanned) and typewritten list of names. Names from the handwritten list: Back (Top) Row: Russell Bourke, John Snelders, Craig Austin, Barbara Donald, Janet Conlon, Diana Rankin, Debbie Lawrence, Russell Paine, Neil Rattray, Gavin Phllips 2nd Row: Tommy Colston, Greg Peters, Leslie Reed, Jeffrey Taylor, Gary McCubbin, Gary Davies, ?, John Moon, Barry McDonald , Malcolm Pearson, ? 3rd Row: Stephen Cross, Neil Dawe, Jeffery Fielding, David Kennely, Ian ?, Phillip Bates, Jeffery Ratten, David Kimberley, Robyn Hagar, Malcolm Williams Front Row: Karen Williams, Debbie Monk, Elizabeth Clarke, Judy Parker, Linda ?, Jan Thompson, Sally Shaw, Cheryl O'Brien, Rosiland Wiggle (Wiggly?), Julie Cook, Rhonda McLeod Seated: Michael Craddock, David Connell

Historical information

Used by the Ringwood Primary School for School photos 1960 - 1964.

Rate Books - Borough of Ringwood Valuation & Rate Book for 1924 (Assessments 401-600)

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Digital images

Historical information

Originally stored at Ringwood Council offices, then taken to PROV.

Significance

Only source of ratepayers in the Borough of Ringwood

Painting - "Ringwood Scene 1920" - oil on canvas by Olive Vass

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Framed oil painting on canvas panel depicting railway station and view looking north across main street of Ringwood 1920.

Inscriptions & Markings

Bottom of frame marked "Ringwood 1920". Written on back - "Early Ringwood about 1920" and "Mrs. Olive Vass 27 James Street Ringwood 8701528".

Photograph - Ringwood cool store demolition site, 1962

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Black and white photograph showing cleared cool store site in Whitehorse Road at Wantirna Road intersection, Ringwood. Catalogue card reads, "Whitehorse Rd. - Overlooking former cool store site - 1962. Cool store demolished 1959-60. (Photo) Taken from old Town Hall".

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "Overlooking the cool store site, 1962".

newspaper cutting - Newspaper cutting "Ringwood's Early days" Thurs. June 1955

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Newspaper cutting "Ringwood's Early days" Thurs. June 1955 from Mrs. M.E. Reid, Phone WU7381, Bryson's Road, +Additional Keywords: Reid, Jones, Kenny, Kennedy, Ford, McInnes, Turnball, Brown, Riding, Claridges, Forbes, Loughman, Addison, Dickson, Forman, Unsworth, Shanks, French, MccAlpin, Wilkins, Collins, James, Ward, Fuller.

Historical information

Newspaper cutting

Photograph - View of Glenvale Road, Ringwood 1964

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

See Also #25

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "1964 - View of Glenvale Road. Supplied by Garrett Gundry. Warnes Road in left background. Deep Creek Road in centre background."

Photograph - Official opening of the Karralyka Centre, Mines Road, Ringwood on 19/4/1980 - L-R: A.C. Robertson (City Engineer), Harry Seidler (Architect), Cr Alan E Henderson, Victorian Governor Sir Henry Winneke, Cr Pat Gotlib (Mayor), Arthur W Hall (Town Clerk).

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Official opening of the Karralyka Centre - L-R A.C. Robertson (City Engineer), Harry Seidler (Architect), Cr Alan E Henderson, Sir Henry Winneke, Cr Pat Gotlib (Mayor), Arthur W Hall (Town Clerk). +Additional Keywords: Robertson, Alan C. (City Engineer) / Seidler, Harry / Henderson, Alan E. (Cr) / Winneke, Sir Henry (Governor of the State of Victoria) / Gotlib, Pat (Cr) / Hall, Arthur W. (Town Clerk)

Book - Ringwood Seen and Remembered (Ringwood U.K.)

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Ringwood, U.K.

Piece of concrete - Concrete from the facade of the old Ringwood Town Hall demolished in 1971.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Two lumps of concrete from the facade of the old Ringwood Town Hall. Red at the centre, soot and dirt marked on the outside.; This was the first debris from the demolition of the old Ringwood Town Hall, knocked off the front western pillar by the mayor Cr Jack McRae at the invitation of the purchaser Hanover Holdings Ltd, on Thursday 22-Apr-1971. +Additional Keywords: McRae, Cr J.M. / Carter, Richard

Historical information

The two storey facade of the Ringwood Town Hall was built in 1927 at a cost of 6,000 pounds. Behind it the council worked out of the old mechanics institute. As the need for space grew, the first Ringwood fire station, the baby health centre and council's health department squeezed onto the site. A free library and cinema also operated from the town hall for many years.

Inscriptions & Markings

First debris from the demolition of the old Ringwood Town Hall, knocked off the front western pillar by the mayor Cr Jack McRae at the invitation of the purchaser Hanover Holdings Ltd, on Thursday 22-Apr-1971.

Photograph - Heathmont Methodist Church being built - 1967

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Black and white photograph of partly constructed building with spire and cross.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written beneath and on back of photograph, "Heathmont Methodist Church being built - 1967"

Photograph - Ringwood Hospital ("The Pines") Adelaide St. (Undated)

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Black and white photograph, oval shaped. Subject is a building with two peaks of roof-line at front. Front of building has veranda and a picket fence is at front with a lantern in foreground. Printed on the photo is, "Ringwood Hospital". (3 copies - 1 original postcard print and 2 enlargements).

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "The old 'Pines' Hospital in Adelaide Street. Now Eastland site. Many older Ringwood residents born there."

Pamphlets - Council Annual Reports, 1956 to Ringwood Ratepayers and 1976 to Citizens of Ringwood, and Invitation to Maroondah Trade and Industry Development Group Luncheon, 1974.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

1. Invitation. Orange coloured bifold with black printing; 2. Report. White four page foolscap. Black printing. Borough Crest on front page.; 3. Report. Cream bifold with blue printing. Map with 5 photos. +Additional Keywords: Kelly, Alfred (Town Clerk) / Smart G.R.B. (Mayor)

Historical information

Three pamphlets relating to Ringwood's Development and notices to ratepayers.

Inscriptions & Markings

1.Trade and Industry development group - Maroondah.; 2. Ringwood Council Annual Report to the ratepayers.; 3. A report to the citizens of Ringwood.

Photograph - Sketch: Ringwood. An artists impression 1881 or 1891

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph of sketch, "Ringwood. An artists impression 1891. Note some of the antimony mines and miners huts shown". Other copy states, "Artist impression of Ringwood, 1881." Written on backing sheet, "Illustrated Australian News, 29/1/1881. p.4. Impressions of Ringwood with miners cottages and poppet heads."

Photograph - Looking across bowling green to Eastland, Ringwood. Undated but possibly 1971-73

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

No Date but other photos in this SS358 series are 1971-1973

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Looking across bowling green to Eastland".

Photograph - Antimony Mine, Ringwood

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, Antimony Mine, Ringwood. Real Photo Series M.2448" and "Poppet Head 1920" (not in image).