Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Royal Brighton Yacht Club Brighton, Victoria

Royal Brighton Yacht Club has a long and distinguished history going back to 1875, growing from a small lean-to shed on the beach here in Brighton to the large modern facility you see now.
Our passion for the sport of sailing has remained undiminished. The style of yachts may have changed, but the wind in our sails, friendly competition and adventurous cruising further afield, continue to attract countless Melburnians and visitors to our Club on the water.
We have an extensive sailing program, which provides opportunities for young and old, male and female, racer and cruiser to go sailing. For those new to sailing there is children’s or adult learn to sail, while for the more experienced there is racing, or cruising, or a combination of both. Besides our active keelboat and one-design fleets, our dinghy classes are strongly re-establishing themselves.
The Club’s online calendar provides an overview of what is on offer this season. Some prefer the Club’s active social program with numerous functions and live musical entertainment without venturing out on the water, whilst our Iceberger members have found a home here for their daily swims.
We recommend our catering and hospitality to you – we have a beautiful Members Lounge and a stylish function room with views over the water upstairs to suit all your wedding, dining, party and conferencing requirements. In 2018 we opened our redeveloped forecourt, deck and brand new kitchen downstairs, and this has become a wonderful new social hub for the Club for all Members and their guests and visitors.

Contact Information

location
253 Esplanade Middle Brighton Victoria 3186
phone
+61 03 9592 3092

Contact

Opening Hours

We recommend our catering and hospitality to you – we have a beautiful Members Lounge and a stylish function room with views over the water upstairs to suit all your wedding, dining, party and conferencing requirements. In 2018 we opened our redeveloped forecourt, deck and brand new kitchen downstairs, and this has become a wonderful new social hub for the Club for all Members and their guests and visitors.

Location

253 Esplanade Brighton Victoria

Royal Brighton Yacht Club has collected a great deal of sailing memorabilia during it's 144 years of operation. We have steering wheels from old ships, flags, trophies etc which we would like to catalogue.The significant collection of trophies displayed at Royal Brighton Yacht Club is being loaded online for the benefit of all members.

Many members will have additional information about these memorabilia. We encourage and welcome anyone with such knowledge to send any additions or corrections to [email protected] with the subject heading "RBYC Collections Contribution".

83 items

83 items

Bell - Briggs Marine Trophy (Bell)

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Briggs Marine Trophy (Bell) Donor: Geoff Adams Briggs Marine Deed of Gift: No The trophy is awarded twice each year for each of the spring and summer Twilight Pursuit Series sailed of Wednesday evenings. Extras are not allowed. First Winner: Phoenix, David Meik 1999/2000

boat model - Viking Boat Trophy

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Viking Boat Trophy Donor: J. H. Linacre Deed of Gift: No J. H (John) Linacre was a past Commodore of RBYC in 1961/64 and again in 1968/70. He sailed in a number of classes at RBYC including the Dragon class which he raced very successfully, including winning the English Speaking Union Championship at Poole, England in 1960. The trophy is awarded to the winner of the RBYC Dragon class spring aggregate. First Winner: Scarlet Runner, 1989/90

Boat Models - Boat Models

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

These models of RBYC Race Management boats (Blue Gum, RB8 and Tarni) have been donated by Graham Noel and can be viewed in a glass cabinet of the Olympic restaurant at RBYC. Graham originally donated the model of Tarni to the club in 2005, in acknowledgement of the valuable work done by race management volunteers. The model was presented to Harry Tedston on his retirement as Race Officer in 2008. Harry then donated the trophy back to the club in 2009, for the enjoyment of all members.

Bowl - Division 2 Season Aggregate (Bowl)

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Division 2 Season Aggregate (Bowl) Donor: Deed of Gift: No The trophy was originally used for B class racing.The trophy was eventually re-allocated and was awarded to the Division 2 winner of the Season Aggregate on PHD handicap. The trophy is affectionately known as "Sam's Bowl". At one stage it was noted that the trophy did not have a name, and it was suggested that it be named after the Tedstone's dog Sam. If you click right on the the arrow next to the trophy you can see Sam. First Winner: Huia, J. Pritchard 1954

Cadet Dinghy Trophies - Cadets

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Cadet Dinghies have a long proud history at RBYC with many Trophies awarded over the years. Apart from the Stonehaven Cup (see separate entry) the other trophies are shown here. You can see these by clicking on the right arrow on the photo above.

Cup - Gullett Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Gullett Cup (Cup) Donor: Sir Henry Gullett Deed of Gift: Yes, 1929 The trophy is awarded to the winner of a Combined Division race on PHD handicap which is sailed on the same day as the Almeida Cup for AMS handicap and the Worcester Trophy for IRC handicap. First Winner: Toogooloowoo II, W. S. Dare 1928

Cup - Lady Nelson Perpetual Trophy

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Lady Nelson Perpetual Trophy (Cup) Donor: W. Finlay Deed of Gift: Yes The Lady Nelson commemorates the discovery of Port Phillip by Lieutenant Murray of the Royal Navy who in HM Brigg Lady Nelson sailed through the heads and therefore the first vessel to enter Port Phillip. The trophy was donated by Past Commodore A. W. Finlay (1946/47) owner of the yacht Scorn, to encourage yachts on the RBYC register to compete in long-distance overnight racing around Port Phillip. In recent years the trophy is awarded to the winner on the IRC handicap. First Winner: Currawong, G. A. Warner 1946/47

Cup - Malta Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Malta Cup Donor: F. J. Corder, High Commissioner of Malta Deed of Gift: Yes The race was originally raced on handicap by all yachts on the RBYC register. This was later changed to a Combined Division Race on PHD handicap then again changed to IRC handicap. The trophy was won by Barton Harney three consecutive times and in accordance with the deed of gift the trophy was retained by Mr. Harney. In 1975 Mr. Harney re-donated the trophy to RBYC and a new deed was written allowing for ballasted yachts on the RBYC register to compete on a course of approximately 12-15 nautical miles. First Winner: Virginia A. S. Sturrock 1936

Cup - Costello Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Costello Cup Donor: H. C. Costello Deed of Gift: No The trophy was originally used in 1983 for a Spring and Summer Sunday Series. The trophy was then not used for a number of years when in 2004 it was used for a Saturday Winter Pursuit Series with extras being allowed. This series runs from June to September and alternated with the Blizzard Series and fleet starts. First Winner: Minerva, PJ Graham 1983

Cup - J. Bryan Linacre Family Award (Cup)

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

J. Bryan Linacre Family Award (Cup) Donor: Bryan Linacre Deed of Gift: No This trophy was donated in season 2007/08 and awarded to the winner of the Wednesday afternoon Combined Division fleet and Pursuit Start Series. The Series consists of 4 parts (ie 2 pursuit and 2 fleet) covering the 12 months to end of June each year. First Winner: Clipper III, G. Davidson 2006/07

Cup - Stonehaven Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Awarded To Winner of the Stonehaven Cup Interstate Championship Description Is a broad metal cup with a flower grill, which is permanently attached to a multi-tiered round wooden base carrying engraved shields for each winning boat First Awarded In 1924 to 'Mayfly' and 'Penguin' who won in a dead-heat in Hobart, Tasmania Engraving Format Venue, state of venue, year, cup number, boat, state of winner Example: MELBOURNE / VIC / 2012 83rd / DOROTHY LINACRE / VIC Comments The cup is held on display in the winner's club until the next championship series. Notes The Stonehaven Cup has been run every year since 1924, with the exception of the war years 1940 to 1945 The dinghy registration number included here is the national registration number which was first issued in 1951 Dinghies racing in the Stonehaven Cup prior to that time competed under their state registration numbers, which are not included here From 1951, all existing dinghies wishing to compete in the Stonehaven Cup were issued with new national certificates of registration Because of this process, older Cadet dinghies which were not intended to be raced in future Stonehaven Cups did not receive a national registration number Those existing dinghies which were issued with national certificates retrospectively were given numbers in order of their re-measurement, so the lowest national registration numbers are not necessarily the oldest dinghies

Cup - Alan Robinson Memorial Trophy (Cup)

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Alan Robinson Memorial Trophy (Cup) Donor : Keith Farfor Deed of Gift: No Alan Robinson was the navigator on Keith Farfor’s yacht Super Star. He was killed in a car accident on the banks of the Yarra River. The race is a combined division race from RBYC to the QCYC. The trophy is awarded to the PHD handicap winner and is raced early June of each year. First Winner: Bindi D Buxton

Cup - Allee Cup (Cup)

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Allee Cup (Cup) Donor: Deed of Gift: No The Alee Cup is one of the oldest trophies at the RBYC and was originally named the Mr H. Sparks Trophy from the HBYC and was won by D Allee During the 1890/91 season. D. Allee was one of the first members of the Brighton Sailing Club and became Commodore in 1887 and again in 1906. In 1960/61 the trophy was re-introduced at RBYC as a Division 3 PHD HCP race which is sailed during a Club Marine race on the same day as the Edwards Cup for Division 1 and the Secours trophy for Division 2. First Winner: Classic II, R Wilson 1961/62

Cup - Almeida Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Almeida Cup Donor: Unknown Deed of Gift: No The trophy was presented in memory of William C. Almeida who was killed during a bank robbery. A memorial was erected in the park in Hampton opposite Linacre Road and Hampton Street. An inscription reads ‘Erected in memory of William C. Almeida of the Commercial Bank Hampton who gave his life in defence of his Trust 23.4.24. Aged 33 years.’ The trophy was originally used for B Division, now used for Combined Division on AMS handicap and raced on the same day as the Gullett Cup for PHD handicap and the Worcester Cup for IRC handicap. First Winner: Rita, C. W. Campbell 1925/26

Cup - Angus McIntyre Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Angus McIntyre Cup Donor: Unknown Deed of Gift: No Angus McIntyre joined the RBYC in 1912 and was Commodore 1922/23 and again 1939/40. He was also club Treasurer for a number of years and Secretary for four years. McIntyre was also instrumental through Lord Foster in obtaining our Royal Warrant for the club in 1924. He was a very active yachtsman and skipper of a number of famous yachts including Foam, Idler, Brighton, Marie Louise and others. The trophy was donated for the winner of the Division 1 season aggregate on PHD handicap. First Winner: Odin, L. Abrahams 1965

Cup - Associates Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Associates Cup Donor: Deed of Gift: No The trophy was originally donated when women could only be associated members of RBYC with the then RNCE requirement there should be at least one female on board. The trophy was not used for a number of years until females became full members and in 2007 was reintroduced with the requirement that the skipper must be a female member of RBYC and holding a current AYF card. The race was then incorporated with the ladies short course Bliss Series on the Saturday with the Associates Cup on Sunday. First Winner: Hot Prospect, J. B. Searle 1980

Cup - B Class Trophy

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

B Class Trophy (Cup) Donor: Deed of Gift: The trophy was originally donated for use by B class in 1929/30 then in 1968 for a short time was used for ‘off the beach’ classes. Following this, it was for a short time awarded to the IRC handicap winner of the G. E. Duncans Race to Mornington. In season 2009/10 it was once again changed. First Winner: Toogooloowoo II, W. S. Dagg 1929/30

Cup - J. J. Savage Trophy (Cup)

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

J. J. Savage Trophy (Cup) Donor: T. G. and J. B. Savage Deed of Gift: Yes The trophy was donated in memory of their father John Joseph Savage and is awarded to the winner of the Dragon Class Victorian Championship. First Winner: Kamilla, A. S. Sturrock 1952/53

Cup - Richardson Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Richardson Cup Donor: D. Richardson Deed of Gift: No Don Richardson was at one time the owner of the famous RBYC yacht Landfall.

Cup - Sturrock Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Sturrock Cup Donor: L and A. S. Sturrock Deed of Gift: Yes The trophy was originallt donated for use by the Twentyone Footer Class and was first won in 1929 by the yacht Bunyip owned by E. Digbey. The trophy was later transferred to the Dragon Class. First Dragon Winner: Nan, A. S. Sturrock

Cup - E. A. Franklin Memorial Trophy (Cup)

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

E. A. Franklin Memorial Trophy (Cup) Donor: Edward Alfred Franklin Deed of Gift: Yes The trophy was originally donated by past Commodore E. A. Franklin and awarded to the International Star Class. He was Commodore in 1947/50 and again in 1953/55. After his death in 1962, his son Rae Franklin changed the deed of the gift to become the E. A. Franklin memorial trophy and with the decline of the Star Class was for a short time then awarded to the Soling Class, and then to the E22 class. However, it seems to have been awarded to the Dragon class instead and perhaps the Spooks Franklin Trophy which is awarded to the E22 replaced it. First Winner: Leander, R. Franklin 1947/48

Cup - Commodores’ Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Commodores’ Cup Donor: Commodore R. T Crick 1928/29 Deed of Gift: No This trophy does not seem to have been used until 1983/84 when it was then awarded to the Division 1 winner on IRC handicap during a heat of the Club Marine Series. This race is sailed on the same day as the Lex Fox Trophy for Division 1 and the Boat Hook Trophy for Division 3. First Winner: Damel, W. (Bill) Currie 1983/84

Cup - E. B. Green Trophy (Cup)

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

E. B. Green Trophy (Cup) Donor: Deed of Gift: E. B. Green was one of the original members of the Brighton Sailing Club and in 1886/87 owned the yacht Iris. The trophy is awarded to the winner of a combined division race on IRC handicap. The race is a mid-distance race and sailed on the same day as the Top Hat Trophy on PHD handicap. First Winner: White Tie, D. R. Buxton 1966/67

Cup - Edwards Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Edwards Cup Donor: Eli (Dick) Edwards Deed of Gift: Yes The trophy was originally donated to the Victorian Yacht Racing Association for a round-the-bay race of not less than 100 nautical miles, for yachts of a length of no longer than 30 feet and no less than 20 feet. The trophy is currently raced during a Club Marine race and is awarded to the winner of Division 1 on PHD handicap. The race is held on the same day as the Secours Trophy for Division 2 and the Allee Cup for Division 3. Eli Edwards was one of the early members of the Port Melbourne Yacht Club. First Winner: Scorn, A. C. Finlay 1937

Cup - Harvie Linklater Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Harvie Linklater Cup Donor: Deed of Gift: Harvie Linklater was one of the early member of RBYC and for a number of years was the clubs’ Historian. He raced on a number of the clubs’ famous early yachts, including with J. A. Linacre, a past Commodore. He was also one of the Brighton members who started off the Black Rock Yacht Club as an annex of the RBYC. First Winner: Samoa BJ21, H. Stephens 1948/49

Cup - Huntingfield Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Huntingfield Cup Donor: Governor of Victoria Lord Huntingfield, 1936 Deed of Gift: Yes The trophy was donated as a perpetual trophy for interstate competition for their Australian Championship. Originally the trophy was competed for by a team of 3 yachts from each state using yachts provided by the home state. The first teams’ race was won by NSW with Ken Clark and Alan Baldick sailing Petrel. In 1966 the series became an individual competition with the first being won by Victorian yacht Aeolus BJ4 by L. N. Pound in 1966.

Cup - Jubilee Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Jubilee Cup Donor: Commodore A. T. Crick 1935 Deed of Gift: No Donated by Commodore Crick to commemorate the Jubilee year of King George V and which gave name to the new class of yacht. The trophy was originally awarded to the B class of yachts but with the launch of the new Jubilees, it was transferred to that class. Fist B Class Winner: Virginia, A. S. Sturrock 1934/35 First Jubilee Winner: Sylvia, W. Jamison 1936

Cup - Perpetual Challenge Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Perpetual Challenge Cup Donor: Presented by the first 10 owners Deed of Gift: Yes 3/8/1953 The first owners were J. A. Linacre, W. Jamison, A. E. Akhurst, C. H. Beyer, J. Stewart, W. Ross, G. Douglas, E. A. Franklin, O. H. Tuck and G. O’Connor. The trophy was originally intended for interclub competition, however it seems to have only been used in club racing at RBYC. First Winner: Sarawaki BJ8, 1935/36

Cup - Returned Soldiers’ Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Returned Soldiers’ Cup Donor: Deed of Gift: No There is an earlier returned soldiers trophy which is a World War I shell case which was awarded to commemorate the RBYC members who served in the first World War. The first trophy was awarded to the Jubilee yacht Rotanes BJ3, owned by A. E. Akhurst in 1935. For an unknown reason the current Returned Soldiers’ Cup was purchased and first awarded in season 1935/36. First Winner: Sylvia BJ2, W. Jamison 1935/36

Cup - Sarawaki Cup

Royal Brighton Yacht Club, Brighton

Historical information

Sarawaki Cup Donor: Deed of Gift: No First Winner: Bramac, B.J.C 1936 RBYC to Mornington: Freelance, R. J. Colemen 1982