Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Photo - From Stanhope News

From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria

Description
Black and white photo of a Stanhope reunion in 1959.
Object Registration
01817
Keywords
stanhope, residences, dorothy vines
Historical information
A photo from a book compiled about the Legacy children's residence called Stanhope. This photo shows a reunion in 1959 featuring Matron Dorrie Vines with several past residents.
Names on the reverse of the photo L to R: Doreen Devlin, Geraldine Grant, Rosemary Gale, Lee Henneberry, Rod McKinnon, Self, Kevin Heath, Betty Henderson. June Brook, Stephanie, Gordon, Elizabeth Brown, Anne Righetti. Jacky Parry.
Stanhope was supervised by Matron Dorothy (Dorrie) Vines from the time it opened in 1946 until it closed. It is possible she compiled this notebook as she is referred to as 'self' in one photo.
Individual pages of photos or newspaper clippings have been added separately. Items 01817 to 01836.
Blamey House (purchased 1947) , Stanhope (purchased 1945) and Harelands (purchased 1950) were residences run by Melbourne Legacy to take care of children whose fathers were servicemen, and who may have been left orphans, or whose mother may have been unable to care for them herself, or they needed to stay in Melbourne for further education.
Harelands accommodated boys and girls under the age of 14, Blamey House looked after boys over 14, and Stanhope looked after girls over 14. The children were cared for until they were old enough to become independent.
When Made
1959
Significance
A record of a reunion at Stanhope. A great example of the impact the residence and care had on the lives of the junior legatees that they kept in touch with each other and the home.
Last updated
23 Jun 2020 at 10:02PM