Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Photo - From Stanhope News

From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria

Description
Black and white photo of past resident living in New Guinea in 1960.
Object Registration
01827
Keywords
stanhope, residences, junior legatee
Historical information
Photo from a book compiled about the Legacy children's residence called Stanhope.
A photo of a past legacy boy Graham Lambridge (?) his wife and children. They sent a photo from New Guinea in March 1960 and he visited Stanhope in November 1963. It was pasted into a scrapbook of photos and newspaper clippings that was possibly compiled by the Matron of Stanhope. It shows past residents kept in contact and sent photos back to Legacy and visited at times.
Stanhope was supervised by Matron Dorothy (Dorrie) Vines from the time it opened in 1946 until it closed. It is possible she compiled this notebook as she is referred to as 'self' in one photo. Individual pages of photos or newspaper clippings have been added separately. Items 01817 to 01836.
Blamey House (purchased 1947) , Stanhope (purchased 1945) and Harelands (purchased 1950) were residences run by Melbourne Legacy to take care of children whose fathers were servicemen, and who may have been left orphans, or whose mother may have been unable to care for them herself, or they needed to stay in Melbourne for further education.
Harelands accommodated boys and girls under the age of 14, Blamey House looked after boys over 14, and Stanhope looked after girls over 14. The children were cared for until they were old enough to become independent.
When Made
1960
Significance
An example of the impact the residence and care had on the lives of the junior legatees that they kept in touch with each other and the home.
Last updated
24 Jun 2020 at 9:40AM