Photo - Reunion at Legacy
From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria
- Black and white photo of a Stanhope reunion in 1959 and a newspaper clipping from the Age.
- stanhope, residences, dorothy vines
- A photo from a book compiled about the Legacy children's residence called Stanhope. This photo shows a reunion in 1959 featuring Matron Dorrie Vines with several past residents. The Age featured the picture in an article on 13 April 1959. The caption read:
These three couples all met for the first time when they were legacy wards at Stanhope, the Legacy Club home at the corner of Burke and Cotham roads, Kew. They met again yesterday when the first reunion at Stanhope was held, and met again Matron Dorothy Vines, who has helped raise 300 Legatees there since it opened 13 years ago. Left to right: Les and Diane Johnson, Graeme Ball, Matron Vines holding three-month-old Karen Ball, Alison Ball and Alan and Iris Andrews.
Stanhope was supervised by Matron Dorothy (Dorrie) Vines from the time it opened in 1946 until it closed. It is possible she compiled this notebook as she is referred to as 'self' in another photo.
Individual pages of photos or newspaper clippings have been added separately. Items 01817 to 01827.
Blamey House (purchased 1947) , Stanhope (purchased 1945) and Harelands (purchased 1950) were residences run by Melbourne Legacy to take care of children whose fathers were servicemen, and who may have been left orphans, or whose mother may have been unable to care for them herself, or they needed to stay in Melbourne for further education.
Harelands accomodated boys and girls under the age of 14, Blamey House looked after boys over 14, and Stanhope looked after girls over 14. The children were cared for until they were old enough to become independent.
- A record of a reunion at Stanhope. A great example of the impact the residence and care had on the lives of the junior legatees that they kept in touch with each other and the home.
- 23 Jun 2020 at 9:46PM