Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Photo - From Stanhope News

From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria

Description
Colour photo of a past resident who moved to Canada.
Object Registration
01826
Keywords
stanhope, residences
Historical information
Photo from a book compiled about the Legacy children's residence called Stanhope.
A photo of a past resident, Rosemary McKillips (nee Williams) and her husband and son. They lived in Vancouver. The note mentions that she was a past resident at Stanhope, possibly in 1949. It was pasted into a scrapbook of photos and newspaper clippings that was probably compiled by the Matron of Stanhope. It shows past residents kept in contact with the home and Legacy.
Stanhope was supervised by Matron Dorothy (Dorrie) Vines from the time it opened in 1946 until it closed. It is possible she compiled this notebook as she is referred to as 'self' in one photo. Individual pages of photos or newspaper clippings have been added separately. Items 01817 to 01836.
Blamey House (purchased 1947) , Stanhope (purchased 1945) and Harelands (purchased 1950) were residences run by Melbourne Legacy to take care of children whose fathers were servicemen, and who may have been left orphans, or whose mother may have been unable to care for them herself, or they needed to stay in Melbourne for further education.
Harelands accommodated boys and girls under the age of 14, Blamey House looked after boys over 14, and Stanhope looked after girls over 14. The children were cared for until they were old enough to become independent.
When Made
1963
Significance
An example of the impact the residence and care had on the lives of the junior legatees that they kept in touch with each other and the home.
Last updated
24 Jun 2020 at 9:45AM