Photo - Stanhope Committee 1964-65
From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria
- Black and white photo of the Stanhope Committee in 1964-65.
- stanhope, residences
- Photo from a book compiled about the Legacy children's residence called Stanhope.
The photo shows 9 legatees that were the Residences Committee for Stanhope. Written next to the photo are names Rear L to R: L/ Lahey, Danby, Savage.
Front L to R: L/ Hygens? (dec), Miriam?, Rosanna?, Evans (dec), Mason (dec), Michan?
Stanhope was supervised by Matron Dorothy (Dorrie) Vines from the time it opened in 1946 until it closed. It is possible she compiled this notebook as she is referred to as 'self' in one photo. Individual pages of photos or newspaper clippings have been added separately. Items 01817 to 01836.
Blamey House (purchased 1947) , Stanhope (purchased 1945) and Harelands (purchased 1950) were residences run by Melbourne Legacy to take care of children whose fathers were servicemen, and who may have been left orphans, or whose mother may have been unable to care for them herself, or they needed to stay in Melbourne for further education.
Harelands accommodated boys and girls under the age of 14, Blamey House looked after boys over 14, and Stanhope looked after girls over 14. The children were cared for until they were old enough to become independent.
- An example of a committee established by Legacy to monitor and administer the residence.
- Handwritten caption in blue fountain pen of the Legatees' names.
- 24 Jun 2020 at 5:21PM