Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated Victoria

The Sunshine and District Historical Society was formed in 1972. The Society set out to work on the history of the areas that made up the City of Sunshine. As the Society's work became more widely known, it was entrusted with historical records and photographs. These included the records of Sunshine Technical School, dating from 1913, hard copy of the Sunshine Advocate and films made by J.J. Jackson. The strength of the Society's research encouraged the City of Sunshine to accept an offer from ICI Australia to take over the Hunt Club Hotel in Deer Park and establish a home for the Society in the caretaker's cottage.

Links

Contact Information

location
Sunshine & District Historical Society Incorporated PO Box 720 Sunshine Victoria 3020 (map)
phone
+61 03 9249 4614

Contact

Opening Hours

Tuesdays 10am - 3pm at the HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Rd, Deer Park 3023. Wednesdays 2pm - 4pm at the SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Rd, Sunshine 3020.

Entry Fee

Free

Location

HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Road, Deer Park 3023. SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Road, Sunshine 3020. Victoria

View on Google Maps

The SHS collection covers a wide range of themes and timeframes. The material from the Sunshine Technical School and its association with HV McKay dates from 1913. The National Museum of Australia recently borrowed the first volume of the school's Minute Books. The SHS material relating to HV McKay is limited but compliments larger amounts in collections from other institutions such as Museum Victoria.

Significance

The SHS collection as a whole has historical significance for the extent that it conveys the aspects of the history of the community. In part it reflects the diversity of people that came to the district as well as focusing on some key industries such as McKay, Nettlefold, Spalding, Australian Defence Industry and Altona Explosives. The historical significance is tied up in the numerous ways the collection can be used to enhance the understanding of Sunshine and the local district. It also forms an important source of information for local and industrial history researchers, as well as having great interpretive potential for 'storytelling' and educational programs. Family historians are always keen to learn more about the industries that once employed their relatives, as well as thousands of others.

Meredith Blake 1 August 2013 3:31 PM

Great work S&DHS! Good to see some new items up and particularly enjoyed seeing the Phoenix Fireworks Sales Poster

Leave a comment

59 items with images

close
Show All Items Items with Images (59) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

59 items with images

Map (1939) - RAILWAYS OF VICTORIA, Including Passenger Mileage, 4 April 1939

Key words

victoria
railway map
1939
rail
passenger mileage

Map showing the RAILWAY LINES of VICTORIA plus PASSENGER MILEAGES as of 4.4.1939. The white map with black printing is enclosed within a glass faced brown stained wooden frame.

Significance

Historical record of the railway line system in the state of Victoria in 1939. Many of the railway lines no longer exist.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

D324 WRENCH - H. V. McKay

Key words

h. v. mckay pty. ltd
d324
d324 wrench
d324 spanner
agricultural spanner
antique wrench
agricultural tool
albert montgomery
jack causon
lake tooliorook

Curved double ended rusty cast iron wrench with 4 open slots plus 2 closed slots

Historical information

This type of wrench or spanner was used as a service tool for H. V. McKay Pty. Ltd. manufactured agricultural machinery. This specific tool belonged to Albert (Bert) Montgomery of 11 Kamarooka St, Albion. Bert Montgomery was born in Sunshine and in 1910 was apprenticed as a carpenter with Sunshine Harvester Works, where he worked as a wood machinist. On 19 August 1914, while still an apprentice, he enlisted in the First AIF. He left McKay's and started business as a builder probably just prior to WW2. After the war he joined the Shire of Braybrook as Assistant Building Surveyor until he retired. In 1962 Bert and his friend Jack Causon (proprietor of an Anderson Road second hand store that previously was Les James grocery) were on a fishing trip to Lake Tooliorook (aka Ettrick) near Lismore, Victoria. Their boat capsized and both fishermen were drowned. Bert was a Past President of Sunshine RSL and at that time it was reported that his funeral was the largest that Sunshine had seen. The information about Bert Montgomery was supplied by a Committee member of the Sunshine & District Historical Society Inc. who spoke to Montgomery's daughter, who also donated the tool.

Significance

This tool serves as a reminder of the large H. V. McKay agricultural manufacturing works that once existed in Sunshine. The tool is associated with the works, and the design is significant enough for images of the tool to be used in an artistic mural, which is painted on the Eastern Pillar of the new H. V. McKay Footbridge in Sunshine, Victoria 3020.

Inscriptions & Markings

'H V McKAY' on one side and 'D324' on the reverse side

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1960) - SUNSHINE TOWN HALL

Key words

sunshine town hall
r.t. pollard gardens
council building
ballroom. pollard gardens

This picture of the Sunshine Town Hall is a copy made from an unknown printed article. The building no longer exists.

Historical information

This building once contained the municipal offices and a public Town Hall for the City of Sunshine. The building was demolished and on the site the R.T. Pollard Gardens were established. The Gardens are shown in the second photograph.

Significance

Although the council built new municipal offices in Alexandra Ave, a Town Hall for public use was never rebuilt. The council considered that there were other halls available, such as the Mariana Hall or school halls, which could be hired for public or council functions.

Inscriptions & Markings

THE SUNSHINE TOWN HALL Saturday 21st May 1960

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1934) - SPALDING First Christmas Treat - 19 December 1934

Key words

spalding
employees
christmas treat
1934
industries

Photograph enclosed in a glass faced brown stained wooden frame, showing employees of SPALDING and their children at the company's First Christmas Treat on 19 December 1934.

Historical information

This factory was situated on the corner of Ballarat and McIntyre Rds in Sunshine Victoria and manufactured sporting goods. The factory ceased to exist during the early 1990's and has been replaced by the first Bunnings Hardware Store in Victoria.

Significance

Photograph shows that Spalding was a company that provided a Christmas Treat for its employees and their children.

Inscriptions & Markings

SPALDING FIRST CHRISTMAS TREAT ---19 DECEMBER 1934---

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1963) - SUNSHINE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Key words

sunshine community hospital
st andrews hospital
carruthers sisters
sunshine & district community hospital
king edward avenue hospital
9 king edward avenue

Black and white photograph of the former hospital which was of weatherboard construction, and which was located at 9 King Edward Ave, Albion Vic.

Historical information

The hospital was established (circa 1920's) by the Carruthers sisters, who both were qualified nursing sisters. It was later known as St Andrews. The hospital became the Sunshine & District Community Hospital on 15 September 1946. Many local people were born in this hospital. The First Annual Report for period 15 September 1946 to 30 June 1947 states that there were 182 births, and that 413 patients were admitted. The daily average of patients during this period was 15.3 of whom 37.8% were members and 62.2% non members. It ended its use as a hospital in 1989, and the buildings were demolished to be replaced by residential units.

Significance

This was the main hospital in the Sunshine area serving the local residents for several decades. Its usefulness as a local hospital became irrelevant when the significantly larger Sunshine Hospital in Furlong Rd became operational.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

School Uniform - SUNSHINE WEST HIGH SCHOOL

Key words

sunshine west high school, girls school uniform, carland, blazer, frock, school jumper, swhs, courage and wisdom, junior campus, west campus, sunshine college, 1960, 1991

Four items of girls school uniform plus 3 metal badges: (1) Dark blue blazer with school insignia on the left breast pocket. (2) Blue and white striped frock. (3) Light grey v-necked jumper with dark blue, light blue, and pink stripes around the neck and the cuffs. (4) Dark blue tie with light blue and pink diagonal stripes. The 3 badges are School Captain, House Captain, and Form Captain.

Historical information

Sunshine West High School started in 1960 with classes held in the old church and the church hall of St Mark's Anglican Church, Sunshine, Victoria, 3020. The school transferred to Lachlan Road, West Sunshine when the new building was completed. In 1961 the proportion of students from European background was almost 52% and those of British-Australian almost 48%. By 1965 the number of students totalled 699, with 28 of them being the first to do the Form 6 (Year 12) Matriculation exam. By 1969 the number of students had increased to the point that some classes were held in shelter sheds. In 1992 the multi campus Sunshine College was formed through the amalgamation and restructure of six schools: Sunshine West High School, Sunshine Technical School, Ardeer High School, North Sunshine Technical School, Sunshine High School, and Tottenham Technical School. The last two school sites were closed and are now occupied by Victoria University and the Tottenham English Language Centre respectively. Sunshine West High School became the junior West Campus of Sunshine College. The style of school uniform displayed here is not used by the Sunshine College. The girls had two sets of uniforms, one for the summer and one for the winter. The frock and blazer (as displayed) were for the summer but a grey straw hat, grey socks, and black shoes were also part of the compulsory uniform. The displayed grey v-necked jumper could be worn in both summer and winter. The winter outfit consisted of a blue shirt, a tie (as displayed), a grey box pleated tunic, blazer, grey stockings, black shoes, a blue felt hat and grey gloves. Of particular interest is that the boys did not have to wear the feminine looking style of grey jumper with the pink and blue stripes. They wore a dark blue jumper. There was a 'uniform inspection' carried out after the Monday morning assembly and the Prefects had the task of policing students to make sure that they wore the full complement of items, both to and from school. The 3 badges indicate that the female student was a member of the School Council, which had replaced the Prefects around 1969 or 1970, and she was also Captain of one of the 4 Sports Houses and of her Form. Sources of information: (1) http://www.sunshine.vic.edu.au/history.htm (accessed 4/11/2015). (2) Book - 'Harvester City' by Olwen Ford (page 412). (3) Discussions with two former students.

Significance

Sunshine West High School played a significant part in the secondary education of local children, however the school had a relatively short life span in its own right during the latter part of the twentieth century. The items of girls school uniform, the school insignia, and the 3 metal badges serve as a historical reminder of the previous existence of the school, and of the colours and designs of these items.

Inscriptions & Markings

Insignia on blazer - SWHS / COURAGE AND WISDOM

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

School Uniform - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL

Key words

sunshine high school
uniform
frock
tunic
jumper
girls school uniform
maroon uniform

THREE ITEMS of girls uniform from the no longer existing SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL are individually displayed here. The items being: (1) Beige with maroon print cotton summer frock. (2) Maroon polyester/wool winter tunic. (3) Maroon V-necked wool/nylon jumper with light blue and gold coloured stripes around the cuffs and the neck.

Historical information

Sunshine High School existed in its own right from 1955 to 1991. During the early years the wearing of 'correct' uniforms was strictly enforced. Girls had to wear hats and boys had to wear caps as part of the uniform when outside the school grounds, or else they risked detention if caught without head wear by a Prefect. The boys therefore always had a rolled up cap in the back pocket to quickly slip on whenever there was danger of being nabbed by a Prefect. The girls had a winter uniform, which included thick beige stockings and a maroon blazer, and a summer frock in which they could be relatively cool during hot days. The boys had to wear their double breasted grey suits all year, with a jumper under the jacket in cold weather. The boys were supposedly being groomed as gentlemen, and so even during hot conditions were not allowed to remove their suit jackets in the class room. On about two very hot afternoons a year, the headmaster removed his jacket and so allowed the boys to do likewise. With single breasted suits becoming fashionable, it became difficult to find double breasted grey suits in the wide range of sizes required by students. In about late 1960 or early 1961 the uniform rules for boys were changed to enable them to wear single breasted grey suits. They still however were not allowed to remove their jackets in class on hot days. Over the years the rules for the wearing of uniforms were relaxed and in the late 1970's students were wearing either uniforms, or parts of uniforms, or their normal clothing. The wearing of uniforms at Sunshine High School eventually died out well before the School vacated the buildings on Ballarat Road, and amalgamated with other local secondary schools to form the Sunshine College.

Significance

The three items of clothing, although not a complete uniform set, serve as a reminder of the summer and winter uniforms, as well as the colours, that were worn by the girls at Sunshine High School during the early years. The jumper is identical in appearance to that worn by the boys and so it is not difficult to imagine how a male Sunshine High School student would look like with a grey suit and that type of jumper.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ecole brand winter tunic. Buxwear brand summer frock of Style S289. M.G.Magree brand jumper.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1982) - Part Sunshine Business Area - Sunshine Centre Plaza Stage 1

Key words

aerial view
1982
sunshine centre plaza
sunshine business area
massey ferguson buildings
old sunshine pool. waltons

Large cardboard mounted sepia photograph with thin white plastic edging. Grey painted outline shows the site in 1982 on which the SUNSHINE CENTRE PLAZA was to be built, as well the buildings that then existed in part of the business area of Sunshine.

Historical information

The Sunshine business area has undergone major change from industrial manufacturing to retail. This aerial photograph shows the industrial areas that existed on both sides of Hampshire Road in 1982, and which have since been replaced by two shopping centres and the library building. The photograph also shows the old swimming pool, and retail outlets that no longer exist such as Waltons, Clark Rubber, Fosseys and the original Safeway store. It also shows a vacant land where the current Centrelink office now exists. The photograph was originally used as a promotion for the Sunshine Centre Plaza retail complex.

Significance

This photograph is a historical record of what part of Sunshine looked like 3 decades ago.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sunshine Centre Plaza Stage 1

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Book - Seek Light - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL 1955-1991

Key words

seek light, sunshine high school, 1991 reunion, 1955, 1954, list of students, list of staff

Front cover has a maroon coloured background with a pair of diagrammatic light blue hands reaching towards an orange and yellow source of light. The words SEEK LIGHT and SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL 1955-1991 are also on the front cover. The rear cover is plain white coloured. The book contains 68 pages plus the covers.

Historical information

In December 1954 the Parents Association was formed and met at the Sunshine State School. In February 1955 classes commenced with First and Second Form students accommodated in several local Halls. In May 1955 the students transferred to the new building. Over the years many children with overseas background attended the school. The school ceased to exist in its own right in 1991, and amalgamated with five other local secondary schools to form the multi campus Sunshine College in 1992. The former Sunshine High School buildings on Ballarat Road are now part of the Sunshine Campus of Victoria University. The book contains photographs and written articles from the school years as well as photographs of those attending the 1991 reunion. The history of the school is covered in this book under the headings: (1) Beginnings, (2) The Sixties, (3) The Seventies, (4) The Final Years, and (5) Vale. The major historical feature of this book is however the 17 pages of Staff and Student names, and the years they were at the school.

Significance

This book is of historic and research significance. As well as providing some of the history of the school, the book has a comprehensive list of the staff and students that were at the school. Researchers will be able to determine the numbers of students commencing each year, the ethnic backgrounds of staff and students, and especially in the early years determine the spelling of the Surnames and Christian names of many students with overseas backgrounds. In the 1950's some Primary School teachers had the habit of changing students European Christian names to the English versions, and so the new names may have carried on to High School enrolment. For example some students named Ryszard were enrolled as Richard. Many students however were enrolled with correct ethnic spelling of their names. Although the list of students names appears to be comprehensive until about 1985, it appears to fail after that. It is known that some students names are missing in the final years.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inside the front cover is an acknowledgement by John Scott to the work of the 1991 Reunion Committee for the production of the book, with eight people and their roles specifically named. The secondary title of the book as written inside on page 1 appears to be "Sunshine High Reflections 1954 - 91"

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Sports Uniform (Netball) - TOTTENHAM NORTH PRIMARY SCHOOL

Key words

sports uniform
netball skirt
netball t-shirt
tottenham north primary school
south road braybrook
tottenham primary school
maidstone primary school
tottenham crossing school
dinjerra primary school
tottenham north state school
state school 4703

Two items of Netball Uniform. (a) Skirt - Maroon coloured wrap around sports skirt. (b) T-shirt - Yellow, Size 14 'Ryder' brand children's T-shirt, with maroon coloured triangular shaped School Logo printed on the front.

Historical information

This Netball uniform from circa 1986 was worn by a girl named Rebecca when she attended the Tottenham North Primary School. Tottenham North Primary School was opened on 29 May 1953 and was built on a South Road, Braybrook site purchased in 1929. After a fire in February 1961 the pupils were sent to the Powell and Curtin Street schools in Yarraville, and to the Maidstone and Sunshine East schools. The new building was officially opened on 22 August 1962 by A. McDonell, Director of Education, and it had sixteen classrooms, an art/craft room, and an assembly hall. Sporting achievements by the pupils included the 1963 football premiership and the 1968 cricket premiership. Over the years it has been called Tottenham Primary, Tottenham Crossing Primary, and Maidstone Primary. The different names resulted because of mergers with other local primary schools as the number of primary aged children in the Braybrook and Tottenham area changed. The school on South Road is now named Dinjerra Primary School. Dinjerra supposedly means 'out west' in the dialect of the original indigenous people of the area. Dinjerra Primary School is now the only neighbourhood government primary school in Braybrook Tottenham. The above information was sourced and compiled from: 1. 'Vision and Realisation - A Centenary History of State Education in Victoria - Volume 3', Education Department of Victoria 1973. 2. The Dinjerra Principal's website article at: http://www.dinjerra.vic.edu.au/91/Message-from-the-Principal.

Significance

The netball uniform serves as a historic reminder that a school named Tottenham North Primary School once existed. The uniform also provides us with information of the colours used on these types of sports uniforms, and of the design of the School Logo.

Inscriptions & Markings

TNPS. TOTTENHAM NORTH P.S. 4703 - (Printed inside triangle)

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Factory Rules (1926) - H. V. McKAY Pty. Ltd., Sunshine Harvester Works, May 1926.

Key words

factory rules
h. v. mckay
sunshine harvester works
mckay
may 1926

Light tan colored cardboard document folded into four sections. Contains Factory Rules for employees of the H. V. McKay Sunshine Harvester Works in Sunshine Victoria - May 1926.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Farewell Card (1961) - JOHN S. WILLATON "Good Luck Jack"

Key words

willaton john s.
farewell card
retirement
massey ferguson
h. v. mckay
workmate signatures
mckay

Farewell signatures of 112 workmates on the retirement on 4-8-1961 of JOHN S. WILLATON from Massey-Ferguson (Australia) Ltd, after working more than 43 years. The document contains 3 pages of signatures bound in a fawn coloured cardboard folder. The 3 pages are bound to the folder with a black ribbon tape and the folder has a green coloured tape on the back edge.

Historical information

John Sherlock Willaton was born 1.8.1897 in Sebastopol near Ballarat. In 1916 aged 18 years 8 months he enlisted in the 1st AIF and embarked overseas with the blessing of his employer even though he had not completed his apprenticeship. He was wounded in action with a bullet wound to the right foot. His family moved from Ballarat to Sunshine in 1917 and when he was discharged in 1918 he joined the Sunshine Harvester Works as a Fitter and Turner. He was promoted to Sub Foreman of the Bolt Shop toolroom where one of his main responsibilities was training apprentices and he remained in that position until his retirement on the 4.8.1961.

Significance

Contains original signatures of 112 workmates at Massey-Ferguson (Australia) Ltd of John S. Willaton. It is an original document and the only copy in existence.

Inscriptions & Markings

112 signatures of John S. Willaton's workmates.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Plaque - COAT OF ARMS - Shire of Braybrook Victoria

Key words

coat of arms
shire of braybrook
a. h. walker
plaque
sunshine

Circular board of Masonite painted by A. H. Walker which is a true depiction of the Coat of Arms for the Shire of Braybrook. It is mainly blue, yellow and red coloured with black writing, and has images of a cow, sheep, and hay, and also indicates a reference to industry.

Historical information

From around circa 1850 Braybrook was already well established and became a staging point for prospectors on their way to the diggings. Local government for this rural area to the west of Melbourne came when the BRAYBROOK ROAD DISTRICT was proclaimed on 28 May 1860. This authority was superseded on 23 January 1871 with the formation of the SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK. The Shire of Braybrook existed for about 80 years during which time it experienced significant industrial growth. The Shire of Braybrook ceased to exist in 1951 when the CITY OF SUNSHINE was formed.

Significance

The Coat of Arms informs the observer that the Shire of Braybrook was initially a rural area with its images of a cow, sheep, and hay. The reference to industry however probably does not indicate adequately the large growth in industrial activity that occurred within the Shire.

Inscriptions & Markings

Shire of Braybrook Victoria / Dieu Et Mon Droit / By Industry / A. H. Walker

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Phoenix Fireworks Sales Poster

Key words

phoenix
fireworks
crackers
sky rockets
sales poster
guy fawkes
empire day

Colour printed paper sales poster which is laminated within a glossy plastic film. The poster shows a happy caricature boy flying through the night sky while sitting on a large sky rocket. The sky is full of exploding fireworks, and on the ground several happy caricature children are letting off fireworks.

Historical information

There were at least two different coloured sales posters depicting the same images, a yellow poster and a grey poster. It is unknown whether these were in use at the same time or whether one type preceded the other. Repaired images of the two posters placed side by side can be seen in the 2nd photo. The repair work was done by a volunteer at our Society with the aid of Microsoft Paint. Fireworks were manufactured in Sunshine Victoria from the early 1890's by the PHOENIX FIREWORKS CO. The factory was located a short distance to the north of Ballarat Rd, on the corner of Phoenix St and McIntyre Rd, North Sunshine. For safety reasons the factory consisted of small separated huts to minimise the damage in case one blew up. Images of the factory and the workers from Circa 1920's can be seen in the 3rd and 4th photos. Fireworks were readily sold by shops to the general public, including children, for celebrating Empire Day on May 24 and Guy Fawkes Day on November 5. Because of injuries, damages, and fires, sales to the general public of exploding fireworks such as bangers and crackers, were banned in Victoria in 1974. By 1982 sales of other fireworks, except for items such as sparklers, were also banned. Despite the bans some of the public still manages to obtain fireworks from other sources to this day, as evidenced by the many discharges on each New Year eve. The factory no longer exists and ironically part of the site is now occupied by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade and several small businesses, including a smash repair business and a tyre retailer.

Significance

The poster shows the attitude that previously existed, where children and the general public could readily purchase and legally discharge fireworks. For safety reasons this attitude is now frowned upon by the authorities.

Inscriptions & Markings

PHOENIX FIREWORKS SOLD HERE

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Book - Prefects Pledge - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL

Key words

sunshine high school, prefects pledge, book, 1958 to 1971, prefects signatures

Small brown hardcover book with cream pages. Contains the Prefects Pledge hand written in black ink, and the signatures in blue and black inks of boy and girl Sunshine High School Prefects from the years 1958 to 1971

Historical information

Sunshine High School had the system of Prefects being elected by the students from candidates nominated by the teachers. It is unknown whether the exact number of votes each elected Prefect received was ever released to the students. Prefects were used to supervise the behaviour of other students, and to book them for offences such as not wearing caps on the way to and from school. In the Pledge book there are empty pages after 1971 so it is unknown whether the signing of the Prefects Pledge was abandoned after then. Sunshine High School existed in its own right in the Melbourne suburb of Sunshine for a relatively short period between 1955 to 1991. The school amalgamated with the following five secondary schools: Sunshine Technical School, Tottenham Technical School, North Sunshine Technical School, Sunshine West High School, and Ardeer High School to form the multi campus Sunshine College in 1992. The buildings of the former Sunshine High School on Ballarat Road now form part of the Sunshine Campus of Victoria University.

Significance

The book is a historical record of the names and signatures of the Prefects that signed the Prefects Pledge, and served the Sunshine High School over the 14 years between 1958 to 1971 inclusive. It also contains the names and signatures of witnesses to the signatures.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Artwork - CORONATION

Key words

coronation
nettlefolds
screws
nuts
bolts
queen elizabeth
manufacturing industries
sunshine
artwork

Wood structure, comprising of a brown stained frame enclosing a green background, which is dedicated to the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2. Screws, nuts, and bolts made by NETTLEFOLDS PTY LTD are 'sewn' on to the green board with thin wire to form the artwork. At the bottom of the frame is a brass plate with Nettlefolds Pty Ltd engraved in script lettering.

Historical information

This artwork was previously displayed in the offices of Nettlefolds Pty Ltd in Sunshine, Victoria. That factory no longer exists and the site is now occupied by a retail complex.

Significance

Unusual form of artwork dedicating the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2, and displaying the products that were made by Nettlefolds Pty Ltd in Sunshine.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nettlefolds Pty Ltd.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Artwork - NETTLEFOLDS

Key words

nettlefolds
screws
nuts
bolts
manufacturing industries
sunshine
artwork

Wooden item with brown stained frame enclosing a green background on which the screws, nuts, and bolts made by NETTLEFOLDS PTY LTD are 'sewn' on with thin wire to create the artwork.

Historical information

The artwork was previously displayed in the offices of Nettlefolds Pty Ltd in Sunshine, Victoria. That factory no longer exists and the site is now occupied by a retail complex.

Significance

Unusual form of artwork displaying the products that were made by Nettlefolds Pty Ltd in Sunshine

Inscriptions & Markings

NETTLEFOLDS SCREWS BOLTS & NUTS

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Honour Board - CHAIRMEN of BRAYBROOK ROAD DISTRICT 1860-1871 and PRESIDENTS of SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK 1871-1950.

Key words

braybrook road district
shire of braybrook
chairmen
presidents
28 may 1860
23 january 1871
1950
sunshine.

Large brown stained wooden structure comprised of two board sections positioned side by side to make one display board. Contains in gold coloured lettering the names of people who served as CHAIRMEN of the BRAYBROOK ROAD DISTRICT and as PRESIDENTS of the SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK during the years 1860 to 1950.

Historical information

By around circa 1850 Braybrook was already well established, and during the gold rush period also became a staging point for prospectors on their way to the diggings. Local government for the area began on 28th May 1860 when the BRAYBROOK ROAD BOARD DISTRICT was proclaimed, however this authority was soon superseded on 23rd January 1871 when the SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK came into existence. The Shire of Braybrook continued as the local government authority for the district until the CITY OF SUNSHINE was proclaimed in 1951. This Honour Board was unveiled on Monday 18th March 1940 at 8:30 p.m., and was hung in the Council Chamber, at the Shire of Braybrook Hall, Sunshine.

Significance

The Honour Board is a historical record of the people who served as heads of local government in the district from 1860 to 1950.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Map (1967) - CITY OF SUNSHINE, June 1967

Key words

city of sunshine
june 1967
map
city
parish
boundaries
brimbank

Whitish paper map with black printing that is laminated in clear plastic film, and has a wood slat attached to the top edge. The June 1967 map is of the previous CITY OF SUNSHINE showing City and Parish boundaries, streets, railways, creeks, river etc.

Historical information

The City of Sunshine no longer exists. Part of the eastern area has been annexed by the City of Maribyrnong, and the rest of the old City of Sunshine has been amalgamated with the City of Keilor to form the larger City of Brimbank.

Significance

This 1967 map is a historical record of the City of Sunshine as it existed 27 years before the amalgamation of Councils, and the creation of the City of Brimbank in 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Purple ink stamps at top left hand and right hand areas showing address and contact details of 'Sunshine Industrial Promotion Centre.'

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Membership Cards (1946) - SUNSHINE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Key words

hospital membership card
sunshine & district community hospital
leslie noble
l.w. noble
j.h.f. noble
94 morris street sunshine
king edward avenue sunshine
30 september 1946
no. 983
no. 297
membership cards (1946)

The membership cards are actually small booklets with the Single Membership Card being Yellow coloured and the Double Membership Card being Blue coloured.

Historical information

The hospital in King Edward Avenue Sunshine was originally known as St Andrew's Hospital and it was run by the Sisters Carruthers who in 1946 decided to retire. The hospital became the Sunshine & District Community Hospital on 15 September 1946. In the First Annual Report for the period 15 September 1946 to 30 June 1947, it is stated that of the 413 patients admitted 37.8% were members and 62.2% non members, and that the hospital was "...responsible for hospital attention under benefits to approximately 2000 residents." Just what the exact benefits were is unknown. Did members receive cheaper treatment, cheaper pharmaceuticals, guaranteed hospital bed, or something else? If anybody can provide the information it would be greatly appreciated. The 1946 cards show that L.W. Noble of Morris Street, Sunshine had a Single Membership which cost 26 shillings ($2.60) per annum, and that J.H.F Noble of the same address had a Double Membership which cost 39 shillings ($3.90) per annum. The cards were issued when payments for the first 4 weeks of membership were made, which were 2 shillings for Single and 3 shillings for Double. The stickers inside provide a record of continuing membership payments.

Significance

These two cards indicate that membership of the Sunshine & District Community Hospital was a way of receiving Treatment or Membership benefits. This type of membership of a hospital appears to be a forerunner to the present day memberships provided by the various Hospital Benefits Associations. The cards also provide information about the cost of being a member of the Sunshine & District Community Hospital in 1946, and how the membership payments were recorded.

Inscriptions & Markings

Single Membership Card No. 983 / Double Membership Card No. 297 / Sunshine & District Community Hospital (Incorporated) / King Edward Avenue Sunshine / N.B.--This Card Must be submitted when requiring Treatment or Membership Benefits

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Autobiography - Life and times of Arthur J. Templeton

Key words

arthur j. templeton
birth 1923
sunshine harvester co
h. s. taylor
waterloo ontario canada
apprenticeship
family
work in tasmania
president chamber of manufactures
leisure.

Typescript in a maroon display book with a maroon binding. Contains autobiography of Arthur J. Templeton.

Historical information

Autobiography as told by Templeton, Arthur John. Typed and edited by David Templeton (Arthur's brother) from November 1991-July 1992.

Inscriptions & Markings

LIFE & TIMES OF ARTHUR J. TEMPLETON

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1930) - LEATHERCLOTH PTY LTD - Original Employees

Key words

leathercloth
ici fabrics
employees
1930
industries

Photograph of 122 original employees of LEATHERCLOTH PTY LTD plus key list of names of the employees. The key list is situated above the wide panoramic photograph, and both are enclosed within a glass faced black stained wooden frame.

Historical information

Photograph of employees and possibly others at opening of I.C.I. FABRICS (LEATHERCLOTH) P/L, Deer Park Victoria in 1930.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1950) - The Migrant Ship HELLENIC PRINCE

Key words

hellenic prince
migrant ship
displaced persons
refugees
international refugee organisation
bagnoli camp
hmas albatross
yannoulatos group

New photograph made from a scanned copy of a circa 1950 Post Card featuring the ship on calm water.

Historical information

In 1949 the HELLENIC PRINCE with its 3 hospitals, 2 cinemas, and air conditioned accommodation was chartered by the International Refugee Organisation to transport displaced persons from Europe to Australia. Its first trip was to Sydney where it arrived with 1000 passengers on 5 December 1949. On the third trip it left Naples on 23 March 1950, and arrived in Fremantle on 20 April 1950, and in Melbourne on 25 April 1950. The men and women were separated for the voyage with my father sleeping on a hammock in a large room with other men, while my mother, my brother, and I had bunks in a shared cabin. On board were displaced persons ex Bagnoli Camp Italy, some of whom later built their bungalows on the grassy and rocky paddocks near Sunshine Victoria, and began to establish a new life in a new country. A few of the families that arrived on the third trip and purchased land in the Dunkeld Ave - Sandford Ave area of North Sunshine (Birmingham Estate) were Janczak, Kolanowicz, Mroz, Pawlak, Rasztabiga, Skrobalak, Szydlowski, Witkowski, and Zielinski. Some friends settled elsewhere in Sunshine. The family Tabaka went to West Sunshine just over the Derby Rd Bridge, while the family Wojcik went to Ardeer. The ship first started service in 1929 for the Royal Australian Navy as the HMAS ALBATROSS. It had a standard displacement of 4,800 tons and was 443 feet 7 inches (135.2 metres) long, and its top speed during trials reached 22 knots (41 km/hr). It was built at Cockatoo Island Dockyard as Australia's first Aircraft Carrier (seaplanes), but the aircraft that it was designed for were retired just before the ship went into service. A new plane specifically designed to work with the Albatross began operations after the ship was decommissioned in 1933, and placed into reserve in Sydney Harbour. Seaplanes continued to operate from the anchored ship. (Click on the Link 'HMAS Albatross (1)' situated above the Object Registration number to view pictures of the HMAS Albatross on the Navy web site). In 1938 the ship was recommissioned and transferred to the Royal Navy as part payment for the light cruiser Hobart. The ship then did military service for the Royal Navy during World War 2. It did patrol and escort duties in the southern Atlantic, and from mid 1942 in the Indian Ocean. By early 1944 the ship was converted so that it could repair landing craft and other support vessels off Sword and Juno beaches. The ship managed to return 132 craft into service and to save 79 others from total loss. On 11 August 1944 Albatross was torpedoed with the loss of either 50 or 66 personnel, but was able to be towed back to Portsmouth. After repairs she did a short service as a minesweeper depot ship, and following that was placed into reserve on 3 August 1945. In August 1946 the ship was sold for commercial use but the plans to convert it into a luxury liner or a floating cabaret fell through. The ship was again sold on 14 November 1948 to the British-Greek Yannoulatos Group, who renamed it HELLENIC PRINCE in recognition of the birth of Prince Charles and his Greek heritage. After conversion into a passenger ship the Hellenic Prince made several trips to Australia transporting displaced persons, however apparently not all trips were pleasant for the passengers. In the on board newsletter 'Kangaroo' dated 5 January 1951, the ship's master P. C. King expressed his indignation about the behaviour of passengers and made accusations of mutiny. According to some immigrants the conditions were appalling and overcrowded with 1200 passengers. Passengers were supposedly required to work and were paid with Woodbine cigarettes. The drinking water ran out, the freezer broke down, and fresh food that was brought on board went to the crew. Sea sickness was rife because the ship was rarely level due to malfunctioning pumps. (The newsletter 'Kangaroo' can be viewed at the Museum Victoria web site by clicking the Link 'Newsletter - Kangaroo'). In 1953 during the Mau Mau uprising the Hellenic Prince was used to transport troops to Kenya, and in 1954 the ship came to an end in a scrap yard at Hong Kong. THE ABOVE INFORMATION WAS COMPILED FROM; (1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Albatross_(1928) (accessed 11/2/2013), (2) An article by Graeme Andrews found at http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazine/2011/july-2011/The_boat_people_of_the _forties_and_fifties#.UuYY6ou4apo (accessed 27/1/14), (3) http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/273166/newsletter-kangaroo-hellenic-prince-5-jan-1951 (accessed 27/1/14), (4) National Archive search starting at; www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx (accessed 27/1/14), (5) http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3864781978 (accessed 29/1/14).

Significance

Hellenic Prince has a significance to Sunshine Victoria because some of the displaced people from Europe, who arrived in Melbourne on Anzac Day 1950, were among the first people to settle in the grassy and rocky paddock areas of North Sunshine. These settlers established a residential suburban area out of the paddocks. In those early days there were no services and the planned roads were basically just drawings on a map. The ship is also significant because it was named in recognition of the birth of Prince Charles. In the ship's former life as the HMAS Albatross the significance is that it was built in Australia as our country's first Aircraft Carrier (seaplanes).

Inscriptions & Markings

Hellenic Prince / Hong Kong

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Club Sticker - BRAYBROOK & DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB

Key words

motorcycle club
sticker
club sticker
braybrook and district motorcycle club
braybrook

Dark blue, silver, and clear plastic sticker on right hand top corner of glass plate that previously was a side window of a car. Sticker has been left on the glass in case removal may damage it. BRAYBROOK AND DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB.

Historical information

A meeting was held on 18th August 1947 at the East Sunshine Community Hall with the aim of forming a motor cycle club. The name BRAYBROOK MOTOR CYCLE CLUB was decided upon "as it would cater for riders and non-riding members in all surrounding districts". The first President was Don Minahan with Bert Watson as Secretary. They had been members of the Auto Cycle Union whose members became dissatisfied with the prize money awarded, so the Victorian Motorcycle Association (VMCA) was formed. The President of the VMCA (Mr. A. Clarke) attended the meeting on 3rd September 1947 which was held in the Hall behind the Sunshine Theatre. This became the regular meeting place. The new Braybrook Club affiliated with the VMCA joining clubs from Altona, Coburg, Essendon, Newport and Preston. Membership mostly came from recreational motor bike riders looking for more structured competitive riding experience and enjoyment. The club conducted its events on Sunday afternoons and as sport at that time was not permitted on Sundays, they overcame that obstacle by seeking a silver coin donation (pointing out that "two bob" was expected). The events were mainly dirt scrambles over open land which today is known as "off road". The favourite sites were Sunshine's ample open spaces such as Glengala Road and McIntyre Road, as well as Arundell Road (Keilor) and Laverton. For track racing experience the club formed a very basic dirt track on the open land in Glengala Road west of the original Sunshine Golf Club, which was very popular on Sunday afternoons for both riders and spectators. In the early 1950's Motorbike and Sidecar races were also witnessed on some Sundays, on a track near the corner of McIntyre and Furlong Roads, North Sunshine. During 1950 the Braybrook members voted in favour of allowing the Sunshine Club to amalgamate with them and form the BRAYBROOK AND DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB. The merger took place at the meeting on 10th July 1950 when office bearers were elected. The club disbanded in the mid 1960's due to the massive residential development occurring in the Sunshine district, and so activities were merged with the Newport Club. The above information is mainly compiled from Sunshine Advocate articles published on 29/8/47, 12/9/47, and 30/6/50, and from written details supplied by Mr. J. N. Willaton. Further details or corrections from interested readers are welcome.

Significance

The Braybrook and District Motorcycle Club has not existed in its own right for several decades. The sticker depicting the club crest serves as a historical reminder that the club was once part of the local recreational scene.

Inscriptions & Markings

Braybrook and District Motorcycle Club

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Club Badge - BRAYBROOK & DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB

Key words

leather badge
braybrook & district motorcycle club
motorcycle club
braybrook.

Brown circular shaped leather badge with white printed lettering around the perimeter of the badge, and with a white printed motorcycle and rider in the centre.

Historical information

This leather badge was made around circa 1950, and was sewn on to the leather jacket worn by Ian Downing. The Braybrook Motorcycle Club was formed in 1947 and on the 10th July 1950 merged with the Sunshine Club to form the Braybrook & District Motorcycle Club. In the mid 1960's the club disbanded and its activities were merged with the Newport Club. For a more detailed summary of the history of this motorcycle club, please refer to the information posted on this site for the item 'Club Sticker - BRAYBROOK & DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB'.

Significance

The Braybrook & District Motorcycle Club has not existed in its own right since the mid 1960's. This particular badge is over 60 years old and is likely to be a relatively rare item. The badge serves as a reminder that the Braybrook & District Motorcycle Club was once part of the recreational scene in the Braybrook / Sunshine area.

Inscriptions & Markings

"BRAYBROOK & DISTRICT M.C.C."

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

ICI Industrial Agreement (1952) - Between Federated Ironworkers' Association of Australia (Victorian Branch) and Imperial Chemical Industries of Australia and New Zealand Limited

Key words

federated ironworkers' association
industrial agreement
ici
icianz
ironworkers'
1952

20 page white paper booklet with brown stains and some wrinkling both possibly resulting from water contamination. The document is legible.

Significance

This 1952 document provides a historical record of the type of some of the manufacturing jobs at ICI Deer Park, and the pay scales and working conditions for the various jobs.

Inscriptions & Markings

Filed on Principal Registry Commonwealth Court of Conciliation and Arbitration 22nd September 1952

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph - SWIMMING BATH, State School, Sunshine Victoria

Key words

sunshine state school
swimming bath
pool
costume
class.

The item is an enlarged photographic reproduction stuck to a 5 mm chipboard. The photograph is thought to be from circa 1910-1920. It shows a group of children, possibly all girls, in and around a small pool at the SUNSHINE STATE SCHOOL. The class appears to be under instruction.

Significance

Photograph demonstrates the swimming uniforms worn in the early 20th century, and indicates that swimming classes were taught at Sunshine State School.

Inscriptions & Markings

Swimming Bath, State School, Sunshine

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Brownies Uniform - 3rd North Sunshine

Key words

brownies uniform
3rd north sunshine
1983 april action
furlong road
venture
footpath
brownies beret
brownies dress

Two clothing items: (a) Beret - Brown woollen beret with a sewn on Brownies cloth badge. (b) Dress - Brown sleeveless cotton dress with 2 metal badges attached and 6 sewn on cloth badges.

Historical information

Prior to 1996 young girls (7 - 11years) in the Girl Guide Association were known as Brownies. About circa 1983 this beret and dress were worn by a girl named Rebecca who was a member of the 3rd North Sunshine Pack - West Metro region. The 3rd North Sunshine Brownies were located in Furlong Road, North Sunshine 3020 (Melway 26 G6).

Significance

This brown uniform is a historic reminder that at one stage Brownies existed as part of the Girl Guide Association.

Inscriptions & Markings

3rd Nth Sunshine Pack - West Metro, 19 April Action 83, Venture, Footpath

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1926) - QUEEN CARNIVAL

Key words

m.pouliot, minnie pouliot, queen carnival, sunshine queen carnival, queen of queens, 30 september 1926, caithness, sunshine lodges 230 and 90, e. thompson, j. milne, marie pritchard, joyce dedrick, jean percy, 169 morris st sunshine, loyal orange institution, j. w. symons

Photographic image held within a glass faced brown wooden frame.

Historical information

The Queen Carnival was conducted by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Council under the patronage of the Loyal Orange Institution. Minnie Pouliot became the Queen of Victory in Sunshine, and later (2 October 1926) she was crowned Queen of Queens in the district coronation ceremony at Footscray, competing with Footscray, Yarraville, and Williamstown districts. Miss Pouliot was again crowned Queen of Queens at the final coronation (6 October 1926) which was held at the Temperance Hall in Melbourne. The other women in the photograph are: Misses E. Thompson and J. Milne (Maids of Honour), Misses Marie Pritchard and Joyce Dedrick (train-bearers), and the flower girl is Jean Percy. Minnie Pouliot was born in 1900 and lived at 169 Morris St, Sunshine from 1910 until her passing in 1983. She married John Caithness on 16 April 1939, and had one son Max Caithness. Minnie Pouliot was an active member of the Sunshine Choral Society, and she also served on the Sunshine Hospital Auxiliary. Miss Pouliot was employed as Secretary at H. V. McKay until 1939, and she was also generally involved in community activities. Details sourced from the Trove web site indicate that she was involved in the Sunshine Tennis Club (1925), the Sunshine Flower Show (1925), as the Treasurer of the Playground Committee (1927), and as Secretary and exercise participant of the Sunshine Presbyterian Girls' Club (1937). Minnie Pouliot was the singer at a wedding (1938), and in 1925 Pouliot and Caithness are recorded as being members of the Loyal Sunshine Lodge. The above details have been compiled from information on the Trove web site including the Sunshine Advocate of 9 October 1926, and also from information supplied by Mr Max Caithness.

Significance

This item is of historical significance because it indicates that an event such as the Queen Carnival used to be held 90 years ago, and It also reminds us that in the past membership of a Lodge was a normal part of the life of many citizens.

Inscriptions & Markings

No. 230 SUNSHINE LODGES No. 90 / PRESENTED TO SISTER M. POULIOT By the Sunshine Queen Carnival Committee 30-9-26 J. W. Symons Hopkins St Footscray

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Registration Plate - SUNSHINE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Key words

brass plate
registered office
sunshine district community hospital
king edward avenue

Tarnished brass plate with indented or carved lettering finished in black paint. The black paint is showing signs of deterioration. The plate has six holes for attaching it to a wall, and two of the corners have been bent probably during the removal of the plate. There is also a small amount of paint contamination on the edges.

Historical information

This brass registration plate was once attached to the former Sunshine District Community Hospital in King Edward Avenue, Albion, 3020. The hospital, under several names, served the local community since the 1920's. It became the Sunshine District Community Hospital in 1946 and was closed in 1989. The building was demolished and replaced by residential units. The plate was preserved by Carol Duvall a long serving nurse, who about 20 years later donated it to the Sunshine and District Historical Society.

Significance

This brass plate is a rare physical relic of what was once the main hospital serving the Sunshine area, and in which many local babies were born.

Inscriptions & Markings

REGISTERED OFFICE / SUNSHINE DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,