Historical information

One of a series : P000191, P000192, P000208-P000225 inclusive.
Discussed in book : Echuca: A centenary history by Susan Priestley, p. 174
R.J.Evans established this mill on the banks of the Murray River, Echuca in 1923 & it operated until 1980. The mill later became a tourist attraction, Red Gum Works, continuing to cut timber until it was taken over by The Port of Echuca as a display (Port of Echuca booklet, 2005 ed., p. 32)


Sawmilling was a very important industry for Echuca. At its peak in Echuca in about 1877 there were between 1000-1500 men employed in the industry (Priestley, Susan. 1965, p.118). Red gum was sourced from the forests along the Murray river. It is a very strong timber suitable for bridge & wharf building, construction works as well as housing and especially for sleepers for the railways. Mills relied on government contracts especially for the sleepers.

Physical description

Colour photograph showing the log winch at Evans' sawmill, with foliage obscuring much of it and unsawn logs to the left of the photograph.

Inscriptions & markings

Printed on reverse: "Fujicolor paper". Written in black pen " "Log winch in situ, June 1984"