Historical information

This photograph is part of the Caulfield Historical Album 1972. This album was created in approximately 1972 as part of a project by the Caulfield Historical Society to assist in identifying buildings worthy of preservation. The album is related to a Survey the Caulfield Historical Society developed in collaboration with the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) and Caulfield City Council to identify historic buildings within the City of Caulfield that warranted the protection of a National Trust Classification. Principal photographer thought to be Trevor Hart, member of Caulfield Historical Society. Most photographs were taken between 1966-1972 with a small number of photographs being older and from unknown sources. All photographs are black and white except where stated, with 386 photographs over 198 pages. From: Glen Eira Heritage Management Plan (1996) by Andrew Ward and Associates In 1905, the land was vacant in Balaclava Road, north side, from Kooyong Road east to the right of way, except for one house. A block of this land was acquired by the Presbyterian community and a timber church erected there in 1910. In time, a larger church was required. After several years of fund raising led by George Kinross, a new red brick St Stephen's church was built in 1926 to the design of architects Haddon and Henderson. George Currie was the builder and the cost of construction was £5,100.

Significance

From: Glen Eira Heritage Management Plan (1996) by Andrew Ward and Associates: St Stephens has architectural importance as a noteworthy example of a Gothic Transitional design in the Arts and Crafts eclectic manner (see Stylistic Typology in National Trust's Historic Church's Study}. The facade treatment successfully combines Christian symbols with Gothic forms in the Arts and Crafts mode (comparable with Haddon's Presbyterian Church, Malvern (1906) and Haddon and Henderson's Oakleigh Church (1928). It is locally important as an example of Robert Haddon's work in Caulfield, where he also lived (4 Glenferrie St q.v.).

Physical description

Page 25 of Photograph Album - four black and white photographs of St Stephen's Presbyterian Church, with two photographs in landscape mode across the top showing information about who designed the building in one and showing the church name and year founded in the other; and two in portrait mode in the bottom section showing 2 different heavy wooden doors.

Inscriptions & markings

Hand written: 25 [bottom left]