This photograph is part of the Caulfield Historical Album 1972. This album was created in approximately 1972 as part of a project by the Caulfield Historical Society to assist in identifying buildings worthy of preservation. The album is related to a Survey the Caulfield Historical Society developed in collaboration with the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) and Caulfield City Council to identify historic buildings within the City of Caulfield that warranted the protection of a National Trust Classification.
Principal photographer thought to be Trevor Hart, member of Caulfield Historical Society. Most photographs were taken between 1966-1972 with a small number of photographs being older and from unknown sources. All photographs are black and white except where stated, with 386 photographs over 198 pages.
From Glen Eira Heritage Management Plan 1996 by Andrew Ward:
In 1888, John Leek, a trainer, owned Lot 15, measuring one and three quarter acres, in Booran Road, north side between Glen Eira and Neerim Roads. The land backed onto the Caulfield Racecourse Reserve. NAV was £45. In 1890 Leek built for his residence, a ten roomed brick house on the site. NAV was £200. Leek was the owner/trainer of "Ingliston" who won the Caulfield Cup in 1900. Upon the horse's death in 1901, Leek is understood to have defied tradition by spending £20 on boots for the "ragged urchins in Bourke Street" instead of "shouting" at the bar. By 1899, the property was owned and occupied by Alfred Merrill, a dentist and was known as "Andover". NA V had decreased to £ll0.
By 1910, Leslie Macdonald, a gentleman had purchased the property and renamed it "Moidart". In 1910-11 Macdonald sold it to John Robertson. The property had extensive wood stables on its north-east boundary and several other outbuildings. The house continued to be described as "Brick, ten rooms" as it was in 1926 when it was owned and occupied by John Arthur, a managing director. The land measured la.2r.31p. and had a NAV of £235. Nine people lived there. In 1926, Arthur also owned the adjoining Lot 16. Other racehorses of note, known to have been stabled here include Sobar, Havelock, Proud, Future and Lord.
Victorian Heritage Register
What is significant?
Lord Lodge is a thoroughbred racehorse training complex adjacent to Caulfield Racecourse, established in 1890. The area immediately around the racecourse has been associated with horse racing activities and businesses servicing the industry since the development of the racecourse in late the 19th century. Lord Lodge was named by the present occupants after the champion racehorse Lord who was stabled there in the 1950s. In the early 20th century the property was known as 'Andover' and subsequently 'Moidart'.
The site consists of a single storey brick Italianate villa, jockeys' quarters, stables and open day yards with direct access to Caulfield racecourse from the rear of the property. The villa of 10 rooms on bluestone foundations was constructed in 1890 by John Leek, a horse trainer who purchased the newly subdivided land in 1888. The house has many Victorian Italianate or Boom Style features although it is more modest than many villas of its style. It has an asymmetrical facade with a faceted bay window and a prominent central tower with low pitch pyramidal roof that provides a clear view of the racecourse. Other characteristic features include stilted segmented arches, bracketed eaves, stucco wall finish and cast cement ornamentation. A room has been added on the north-facing verandah in sympathetic style and finish. Internally the rooms are substantially intact with original marble fireplaces and intricate ceiling roses and cornices. An entrance toward the rear of the southern side of the house is said to be where the stable hands, jockeys and other staff lined up for their meals.
In the southeast corner of the property, backing directly on to Caulfield racecourse, is a substantial late Victorian timber stable, probably constructed in the 1890s but first appearing on the property title in 1910. The stable has 12 stalls, a loft and brick pavement and jerkin head roof form with varnished pine-lined ceiling carried on a chamfered timber frame. It has an original roof lantern. The doors of the stalls are not the original sliding doors but swing doors obtained from a barn at Epsom Racecourse in Mordialloc prior to demolition. Outside the gambrel roof has fretted barges but the building is otherwise utilitarian. Timber throughout the stalls has been worn by chewing and rubbing of horses over the century of its use.
In the southern half of the property are open day yards where the racehorses are kept during the day. The red brick, single storey jockeys' quarters to the rear of the villa were probably built around 1950. A small brick, possibly late Victorian structure on the eastern boundary thought to have originally been a gardening shed, has been converted to a stable of two stalls. Modern concrete brick stables fill the northeast portion of the property. At the front of the property two Moreton Bay Figs (Ficus macrophylla), probably planted in the late 19th century, provide shade for horses in the day yards.
In the 1890s John Leek sold the property, relocating his training facility to one of the newly established racecourses at Mentone or Mordialloc (Epsom). By 1899, the property was owned and occupied by Alfred Merrill, a dentist, who named the property 'Andover'. In 1910 it was purchased by Leslie McDonald, a gentleman, and renamed 'Moidart'; sold in 1910-1911 to John Robertson; and again in 1926 to John Arthur, a racehorse owner. The Victorian Amateur Turf Club purchased the property in the late 1930s and since this time has been leased to racehorse trainers. It is unclear whether the property operated as a training facility between 1899 - 1926.
Several notable trainers and jockeys are associated with Lord Lodge. The best known is Arthur 'Scobie' Breasley, Australia's most successful jockey who was apprenticed to trainer Pat Quinlan at Lord Lodge (then 'Moidart') from 1928 - 1935. Breasley rode winners of the Caulfield Cup in four successive years 1942-45 and again in 1952. John Leek, the original owner of Lord Lodge trained Ingliston, the 1900 Caulfield Cup winner. Along with 'Lord' a number of well known racehorses including Sobar, Havelock, Proud and Future were trained at Lord Lodge .....
Page 40 of Photograph Album with three landscape photographs of the exterior of this house.
Inscriptions & markings
Handwritten: 30 Booran Road [top right hand corner] / 40 [bottom right]
- trevor hart,
- jenny o'donnell,
- booran road,
- caulfield east,
- lord lodge,
- grace darling,
- caulfield racecourse reserve,
- victorian amateur turf club,
- historic buildings register,
- national estate register,
- caulfield cup,
- horse racing,
- racehorse trainers,
- brick houses,
- stained glass,
- italianate style,
- victorian style,
- architectural features,
- architectural styles,
- john leek,
- leslie macdonald,
- john arthur,
- john robertson,
- alfred merrill,
- jenny odonnell