This page of photographs is part of the Caulfield Historical Album 1972. This album was created in approximately 1972 as part of a project by the Caulfield Historical Society to assist in identifying buildings worthy of preservation. The album is related to a Survey the Caulfield Historical Society developed in collaboration with the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) and Caulfield City Council to identify historic buildings within the City of Caulfield that warranted the protection of a National Trust Classification.
Principal photographer thought to be Trevor Hart, member of Caulfield Historical Society. Most photographs were taken between 1966-1972 with a small number of photographs being older and from unknown sources. All photographs are black and white except where stated, with 386 photographs over 198 pages.
First 2 images: milkbar and residence corner Kambrook and Balaclava Roads ie south west corner - building named Airdrie
3rd image: https://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/43737 - re 26 Kambrook Road and 345 Balaclava Road corner building ie south east corner:
A prominently situated two-storeyed complex of late Victorian buildings consisting of "Wybar's Buildings" occupying the Balaclava Road/ Kambrook Road corner and the "Caulfield Bakery" facing Kambrook Road, separated by a driveway from a single storeyed shop. The main building has a comer splay and balustraded parapet with curved pediments, the words "Wybar's Buildings 1887" having been obliterated but "Caulfield Bakery 1887" with the characteristic wheatsheaf surviving in raised cement work. The walls are stuccoed and richly ornamented with bracketed cornices and keystones with masks extending to the Bakery. The main building is further distinguished by the Masonic symbol of the mason's dividers in the pediment whilst the upper level of the bakery is in overpainted brickwork. The single storeyed shop incorporates the bracketed cornice and consoles characteristic of the main buildings and is in other respects a utilitarian structure.
4th image: https://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/42415 (on 24/01/2021) - 196 Kambrook Road
An imposing late Victorian poly-chrome brick asymmetrical villa with corner verandah and projecting west facing wing with faceted window bay to the facade. Body bricks are red and relieved by cream and black brick banding and by cream bricks to the bracketed eaves. The fretted barge with king post treatment and timber posted verandah are unique in the Municipality and unusual in the metropolitan area and demonstrate an understated appreciation of the emerging Queen Anne mode.
345 Balaclava and 26 Kambrook Roads HO91 - City of Glen Eira
https://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/43737 (on 24/01/2021)
"Wybar's Buildings" at the corner of Balaclava Road and Kambrook Road are important as a prominent late Victorian commercial development incorporating a variety of activities including a bakery and possibly a coffee palace, the latter understood to be unique within the municipality, but characteristic of the period.
It is a rare complex of its type in Caulfield and is important also as evocative evidence of the late Victorian Land Boom and the creation of a small now defunct commercial centre at this location by the George Wybrow.
196 Kambrook Road HO122 - City of Glen Eira
"Glencoe" is situated at no. 196 Kambrook Road, Caulfield North and was built for the boot manufacturer, Robert Bruce Mair, in 1888. It is of historic and aesthetic significance.
It is historically significant (Criterion A) as the home of an inner suburban industrialist, notable a boot manufacturer, demonstrating the attraction of Caulfield as a residential location for the manufacturers of the metropolis during the late Victorian Boom period.
It is aesthetically significant (Criterion E) as a very early example of a Queen Anne influenced late Victorian villa, comparing at the State level with ''Woodlands'' (1888), North Essendon, generally acknowledged to be one of Australia's earliest houses to fully exploit this emerging style. The ornamental timberwork is especially expressive of the new architectural fashion and compares with the house at 33 Clarence Street, Elsternwick (1888-89).
Page 105 of Photograph Album with two photographs of a milk bar and attached residence, one older photograph of Wybar's Building and another photograph of a house on Kambrook Road (all are landscape).
Inscriptions & markings
Handwritten: 196 KAMBROOK ROAD / 1970 - GAFFNEY MRS S.M. [under bottom right photo] / 100 [bottom left]
- trevor hart,
- kambrook road,
- victorian style,
- caulfield north,
- wybar's buildings 1887,
- caulfield bakery 1887,
- architectural features,
- painted bricks,
- balaclava road,
- george wybrow,
- milk bars,
- polychrome bricks,
- queen anne architectural style,
- robert mair
- Glen Eira Heritage Management Plan 1996 by Andrew Ward
- Victorian Heritage Database 26 Kambrook Road and 345 Balaclava Road HO91 (these are the "Wybar's Buildings") - City of Glen Eira; 196 Kambrook Road HO122 - City of Glen Eira
- Caulfield's Building Heritage by Dr Geulah Solomon ISBN/ISSN: 0 9594585 3 0