Historical information

This photograph is part of the Caulfield Historical Album 1972. This album was created in approximately 1972 as part of a project by the Caulfield Historical Society to assist in identifying buildings worthy of preservation. The album is related to a Survey the Caulfield Historical Society developed in collaboration with the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) and Caulfield City Council to identify historic buildings within the City of Caulfield that warranted the protection of a National Trust Classification. Principal photographer thought to be Trevor Hart, member of Caulfield Historical Society. Most photographs were taken between 1966-1972 with a small number of photographs being older and from unknown sources. All photographs are black and white except where stated, with 386 photographs over 198 pages. From Caulfield Heritage Management Plan 1996 by Andrew Ward In 1889, Thomas B Jackson, an architect in Shoobra Road, owned lots 61-63 at the north­ west intersection with Clarence Street. He built the two red brick houses, each of 10 rooms, known as "Kenly" and "Nulmore" (later "Brampton") in that year. By 1894, P. Langwill had purchased the property, leasing it to Fred Henriques, an accountant. Alfred Pearson a government chemist, was occupying tenant by 1899. The property was known as ''Kenly''. In 1910, the house was vacant, however, in 1920, James Edmends was living there and continued to do so in 1930. By 1941, Edmends had moved to No. 32, and Alfred Williamson was in residence. "Kenly'' is important as an unusually imposing Elizabethan influenced villa in Caulfield, comparing with nos. 25 and 36 Gladstone Parade. Its importance is enhanced by its substantially intact state whilst its link with local architect Thomas B Jackson is of interest.

Physical description

Page 53 of Photograph Album with two exterior photographs (one portrait and one landscape) of a double storey brick mansion.

Inscriptions & markings

Hand written: 34 Gladstone Parade [top left] / 53 [bottom left]