This photograph is part of the Caulfield Historical Album 1972. This album was created in approximately 1972 as part of a project by the Caulfield Historical Society to assist in identifying buildings worthy of preservation. The album is related to a Survey the Caulfield Historical Society developed in collaboration with the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) and Caulfield City Council to identify historic buildings within the City of Caulfield that warranted the protection of a National Trust Classification. Principal photographer thought to be Trevor Hart, member of Caulfield Historical Society. Most photographs were taken between 1966-1972 with a small number of photographs being older and from unknown sources. All photographs are black and white except where stated, with 386 photographs over 198 pages. From Glen Eira Heritage Management Plan 1996 by Andrew Ward: In 1905, most of portion 27 was vacant land, however Glenferrie Street had been formed and the land subsequently subdivided. In 1906, Robert Joseph Haddon, architect and painter, designed and built for his private residence, a brick house on the west side. Haddon named the house "Anselm". Also built on the property were a garage and fibro cement studio. "Anselm" is architecturally important at the State level as a substantially intact, highly personalised and boldly expressed house expressive the Arts and Crafts movement and incorporating Art Nouveaux enrichment in a variety of forms, the use of ornamental terra cotta tiles to the comer tower being of special note. Its importance at the State level is strengthened by its place as the home of the noted architect and Melbourne's most influential exponent (Freeland, J.M., Architecture in Australia, p. 213) of the Art Nouveaux movement.
https://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/4442 Victorian Heritage Register: What is significant? Anselm was designed by noted English born architect Robert Joseph Haddon(1866-1929) as his own house and constructed in 1906. A single storey Arts and Crafts influenced red brick house with attic, Anselm has a pyramidal slate roof with prominent chimney stacks. There is a octagonal corner tower with saucer shaped domed roof surmounted by a weather vane, and the tower has decorative terracotta panels immediately below the eaves line. The front door opens immediately into a large living or common room, screened from view by a timber and bottle glass screen. The large room was designed to function as a drawing and dining room. The house is rich with hand crafted details including door and window furniture, wrought iron gutter brackets, fireplaces (one with built in wood box), and fire tools. The interior decoration includes hand painted frieze of Port Phillip in the study, and a hand painted frieze of turbulent sea with sailing boats in the tiled bathroom. There is a small hand painted tile at the base of the tower which states ?This building was erected AD1906 from designs by Robt J Haddon FRIBA,Lond FRIVA Melb Architect?. He also designed an attic addition which was constructed in 1927. Anselm is substantially intact although the double casement window immediately to the south of the front door was originally circular....
Page 60 of Photograph Album with three exterior photographs (one portrait and two landscape) of Anselm.
Inscriptions & markings
Hand written: 4 Glenferrie Street [top right] / ANSELM 4 Glenferrie St [under top photo] / 60 [bottom right]