Historical information

This photograph is part of the Caulfield Historical Album 1972. This album was created in approximately 1972 as part of a project by the Caulfield Historical Society to assist in identifying buildings worthy of preservation. The album is related to a Survey the Caulfield Historical Society developed in collaboration with the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) and Caulfield City Council to identify historic buildings within the City of Caulfield that warranted the protection of a National Trust Classification. Principal photographer thought to be Trevor Hart, member of Caulfield Historical Society. Most photographs were taken between 1966-1972 with a small number of photographs being older and from unknown sources. All photographs are black and white except where stated, with 386 photographs over 198 pages. Property now known as Eversley, formerly Nulmore then Brampton. From Caulfield Heritage Management Plan 1996 by Andrew Ward In 1888, C. Hume owned lots 61, 62 and 63 in the Kooyong Park Estate, on the northwest corner of Gladstone Parade and Clarence Street. In 1889 Thomas B. Jackson, architect, of Shoobra Road, purchased the land and in the same year built a ten roomed brick house on lot 63 and part lot 62. Jackson leased the property to William Dalrymple in 1890. By 1894, the property was owned by P. Langwill and leased to James Ainslie, an accountant. By 1899, Frederick Henriques had moved into the house, which was known as ''Nulmore". In 1910, the house was vacant. In 1920, it was leased to Augustine Barbeta who continued to live there in 1930. By 1934, the house was renamed ''Brampton". ''Nulmore" is locally important as an unusually imposing Elizabethan influenced villa in Caulfield, comparing with nos. 34 and 25 Gladstone Parade. Its link with local architect Thomas B Jackson is of interest.

Physical description

Page 52 of Photograph Album with two exterior photographs (one landscape and one portrait) of Eversley , a double storey mansion.

Inscriptions & markings

Hand written: (36 )[top right] / "Eversley" N.W. cnr Gladstone Parade & Clarence Street [top right] / 8 Oct 1966 [under top left photo] / 52 [bottom right]