Photograph - St. Johns Church Miles Street Deer Park 100th Anniversary 1991 Photographs, Sharon Cavanagh, 3rd October 1991

Negative (collection) - Sunshine Advocate Negative Collection

Historical information

These photographs, taken by The Advocate in 1991, were produced as part of the church’s centenary celebrations.

Significance

St John’s Anglican Church in Deer Park was built in 1891, making it the oldest wooden church in Brimbank and the second‑oldest Anglican church in the district. Prior to this Anglican worship was first held in private houses, followed by services held in the recreation hall next to the Cricket Club Hotel (Now the Deer Park Hotel). This hall was owned by the Hotel's owner Alex Dickson.

The Miles Street church, built by volunteers served as Deer Park’s only church for many decades and was closely tied to the area’s earliest settler families. The building was destroyed by fire in 2016 and later demolished.

Physical description

Digital scans of black and white negatives

Inscriptions & markings

100 Year Old Celebrations For Church Of England 504.1

Back to top